(SOLVED) M7 UL won't root, Unable to mount /Data /Cache

Search This thread

shadowhacker27

Mar 22, 2009
NYC
www.actualtecnologia.com
Hey guys,

My HTC One M7 UL (PN07120) is driving me nuts. I was trying to obtain root so I proceeded to unlock it through htcdev and did it sucessfully. My phone can boot normally. However I cannot root it. I checked to see whether it had damaged partition tables and got no errors after using the mkfs.ext4 solution. I tried installing several RUUs but when they don't failed with the "incorrect RUU" error, they just don't go past the "getting header 1/5)" step of the process.
I have explored several threads with issues that might look like mine, but they end up not being. I will post my getvar info and the names of the RUUs I've been using hoping to find someone kind enough to give me a hand.

Code:
fastboot getvar all
(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 1.55.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 4T.20.3218.13
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main: 3.17.502.3
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON
(bootloader) serialno: HT36M********(ERASED BY ME)
(bootloader) imei: ERASED BY ME
(bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
(bootloader) product: m7_ul
(bootloader) platform: HBOOT-8064
(bootloader) modelid: PN0712000
(bootloader) cidnum: CWS__001
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 4302mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: dirty-2da61e5e88
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0

Files names used:
1)RUU_M7_UL_JB43_SENSE50_MR_Cingular_US_3.17.502.3_Radio_4A.19.3263.13_10.38j.1157.04_release_334235_signed_2
2)RUU_M7_UL_JB_50_Cingular_US_1.26.502.12_Radio_4A.14.3250.13_10.33.1150.01_release_318450_signed_2
3)RUU_M7_UL_JB_50_Cingular_US_1.26.502.15_Radio_4A.17.3250.20_10.40.1150.04_release_326691_signed_2
4)ATT_442.OTAPkg

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

bored_stupid

Jul 10, 2011
Hereford
Hey guys,

My HTC One M7 UL (PN07120) is driving me nuts. I was trying to obtain root so I proceeded to unlock it through htcdev and did it sucessfully. My phone can boot normally. However I cannot root it. I checked to see whether it had damaged partition tables and got no errors after using the mkfs.ext4 solution. I tried installing several RUUs but when they don't failed with the "incorrect RUU" error, they just don't go past the "getting header 1/5)" step of the process.
I have explored several threads with issues that might look like mine, but they end up not being. I will post my getvar info and the names of the RUUs I've been using hoping to find someone kind enough to give me a hand.

Code:
fastboot getvar all

Files names used:
1)RUU_M7_UL_JB43_SENSE50_MR_Cingular_US_3.17.502.3_Radio_4A.19.3263.13_10.38j.1157.04_release_334235_signed_2
2)RUU_M7_UL_JB_50_Cingular_US_1.26.502.12_Radio_4A.14.3250.13_10.33.1150.01_release_318450_signed_2
3)RUU_M7_UL_JB_50_Cingular_US_1.26.502.15_Radio_4A.17.3250.20_10.40.1150.04_release_326691_signed_2
4)ATT_442.OTAPkg

Thanks in advance.

Post a screenshot of your bootloader

The RUU's wont install because your S-On and it will only allow same version or higher
the RUU you require is this one...

http://dl3.htc.com/application/RUU_M...5_signed_2.exe

However since your bootloader is unlocked, you could flash a recovery and root from there..

http://techerrata.com/file/twrp2/m7/openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.3-m7.img

Put the recovery in your adb folder and from there

fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.3-m7.img
fastboot erase cache
fastboot reboot-bootloader

then enter recovery and make a backup of your rom.

when you exit TWRP, you will be prompted to root your device

Last edited:
Reactions: shadowhacker27

fenstre

Jan 9, 2012
How are you trying to root, and how does it fail? Please provide all the detail you can.

shadowhacker27

Mar 22, 2009
NYC
www.actualtecnologia.com
How are you trying to root, and how does it fail? Please provide all the detail you can.

It just doesn't root because the files (su.zip or superuser.zip) are not to be found anywhere thanks to my inability to write /data. I am going to try @bored_stupid approach and see what it does.

EDIT:
I had flashed this recovery before with success. The problem is it says "Unable to mount /Cache" or "/data" whenever I try to either backup or install a rom respectively. It does offer to install Su.zip when exit, but it fails to do it because when I check it with root requiring apps, o root checkers, they all say the same: No Root.

EDIT #2:
I was able to install a custom rom!!!!!! All problems got fixed after @bored_stupid approach. Thank you very very much. However, before trying the custom rom I did try to install su.zip when exiting TWRP and, differently to the other tries, it did partially write (confirming that /data was finally writable.) I couldn't, thou, install the Binary when phone booted. I will be trying some other roms and have some fun with the device.

One again. Thanks a lot!!!

Last edited:

bored_stupid

Jul 10, 2011
Hereford
It just doesn't root because the files (su.zip or superuser.zip) are not to be found anywhere thanks to my inability to write /data. I am going to try @bored_stupid approach and see what it does.

EDIT:
I had flashed this recovery before with success. The problem is it says "Unable to mount /Cache" or "/data" whenever I try to either backup or install a rom respectively. It does offer to install Su.zip when exit, but it fails to do it because when I check it with root requiring apps, o root checkers, they all say the same: No Root.

EDIT #2:
I was able to install a custom rom!!!!!! All problems got fixed after @bored_stupid approach. Thank you very very much. However, before trying the custom rom I did try to install su.zip when exiting TWRP and, differently to the other tries, it did partially write (confirming that /data was finally writable.) I couldn't, thou, install the Binary when phone booted. I will be trying some other roms and have some fun with the device.

Glad i could help

It might be worth downloading the RUU too, Just in case you ever need to go back to stock.

Enjoy the new freedom rooting brings :)

Reactions: shadowhacker27

shadowhacker27

Mar 22, 2009
NYC
www.actualtecnologia.com
Glad i could help

It might be worth downloading the RUU too, Just in case you ever need to go back to stock.

Yes. Thank you very much, my friend. I was about to toss this phone and buy a Motorola V9. hehehehe! Thanks.

By the way, How can I change the title so that I can type (SOLVE) and help others find this?

peekie

May 29, 2004
HTC One (M8)
Nexus 6
My HTC one is also driving me mad as I can't install any roms even the original or customs , get always a fault at the end , just boots and is stuck on the boot logo

Sent from my Lumia 1320 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys,

Code:
    fastboot getvar all

Files names used:
    4)ATT_442.OTAPkg

Thanks in advance.

Post a screenshot of your bootloader

The RUU's wont install because your S-On and it will only allow same version or higher
    the RUU you require is this one...

http://dl3.htc.com/application/RUU_M...5_signed_2.exe

However since your bootloader is unlocked, you could flash a recovery and root from there..

http://techerrata.com/file/twrp2/m7/openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.3-m7.img

Put the recovery in your adb folder and from there

fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.3-m7.img
    fastboot erase cache
    fastboot reboot-bootloader

then enter recovery and make a backup of your rom.

when you exit TWRP, you will be prompted to root your device

EDIT:

EDIT #2:

Glad i could help

Yes. Thank you very much, my friend. I was about to toss this phone and buy a Motorola V9. hehehehe! Thanks.

By the way, How can I change the title so that I can type (SOLVE) and help others find this?

When you press edit, press on "go advanced.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app