[CLOSED][APP][MOD][ROOT/NONROOT] Vanced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

RootedLee

Sep 1, 2017
Valuable venture.

[EDIT]: SOLVED !!! with SudoCode755's [MOD][XPOSED] Sudohide: Prevent apps from being detected by other apps !!! Detailed instructions here (in the quote).

Questions (for my rig details see my sig below):

1. After completely uninstalling YouTube and installing Youtube_13.34.50-1334502300_API17(armeabi-v7a)(nodpi)(vDark-v2.0.2)-vanced.apk in TWRP¹ via ytva-universal-installer-v3.0.zip, after reboot I still see YouTube in Google Play Store, and wanting to be updated. Hum?? Why then did I uninstall it before? If I installed this update, wouldn't that overwrite the vanced mod? Needless to say, when installing this mod, wouldn't we want it to be detached from the Play Store BY DEFAULT, to avoid any such confusion and collision??

Next issue:
In the 1st posting I read that for some unfathomable reason we are expected to manually do the Play Store detachment by using "BOTH, a settings.sh AND plz files as parameters while installing".

2. But the script file's name downloaded from Google Drive/ Public Files/ INSTALLER is ytva_use_this_settings.sh, NOT settings.sh. That's unclear. Do I put ytva_use_this_settings.sh to sdcard/Download, or do I have to rename it to settings.sh?

3. Where is explained in the 1st posting what to do with the ytva_use_this_settings.sh file? I opened it in a text editor and it looks as if I need to edit the desired setting(s) from NO to YES, then save.

4. In the first posting it reads to "use BOTH, settings.sh AND plz files", but in ytva_use_this_settings.sh it reads:
# NOTE: Be aware that if u use settings
# files in addition: this config files
# has priority and overwites possible
# available settings files!

I guess this should read
# NOTE: Be aware that if u use .plz settings
# files in addition: this config file
# has priority - any present settings files
# will be ignored!

And accordingly, in the 1st posting, shouldn't it rather read:

Vanced makes use of EITHER the ytva_use_this_settings.sh file OR .plz files as parameters while installing, whereby .plz files are ignored when a ytva_use_this_settings.sh file is found by the installer.

Please admins, would you asap correct all these errors and missing essentials in the descriptions so it all becomes user friendly?

Thank you.

5. When trying to detach YT Vanced from Google Play, in TWRP I always get "Updater process ended with ERROR: 1", regardless of which of the two detach .plz files I copy into sdcard/download next to the zip and the apk, and even when I use the .sh script file, also regardless of if I have edited into DETACH="YES" or DETACHONLY="YES".

I do NOT get ERROR: 1 when using any of the 4 deATttach approaches, and neither with the UNINSTALL .plz file.

Yes, enough disk space in /System.

I researched this ERROR: 1 issue, but that did not help me at all. What's the solution?

6. Can you please provide just the script to detach YT (vanced) from the Play Store, either one to be installed via TWRP, or one to be run from a root terminal command in Android?

7. Would you please make Play Store detachment DEFAULT in the ytva-universal-installer.zip !! Why not?

Thank you for this project and for your motivation to improve it.
----------------------
¹ TWRP 3.1.1-0 for Samsung Galaxy J5 2016 with Aroma support by Lemlis

Last edited:

Call Me Wolf

Jul 28, 2014
Hi all,

I'm on the latest non-root and micro-g versions. I'm having an issue where sometimes the app will log me out and I have to manually log back in, although it does seem to remember my credentials every time.

So for example, here's what would happen:

Start app, be signed out >> press top-right to sign-in >> press sign-in >> press add account >> go back >> vanced automatically signs me in

Just wondering if this is intended on the non-root version as I can't seem to find anyone else having a similar issue in this thread. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

EDIT:
Forgot to mention, this happens randomly and sometimes I will be logged in for hours, other times the app quits unexpectedly while I'm watching a video and I have to restart the app and manually sign back in. Every time I restart my phone, I have to manually back in.
I have an Honor Play, which is a relatively large phone.
Did u solve this?

unnamedDE

Jun 9, 2018
App crashes when returning to vanced from pip or other app, but only if dark theme is enabled!

I am using non-root version 13.34.50 on Android 8

Found the problem! Wasn't the dark mode. I changed from 'only video' to 'video with media' and now everything works like a charm...

But that feature is one of the reasons why I use vanced, so I would be happy if that gets fixed

Sent from my HUAWEI P10 lite using XDA Labs

Last edited:
Reactions: neinfricatu

ZaneZam

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Dec 6, 2010
Well.. I really interested but it seems the install somehow fails. See logs -mi a2 + magisk 17.1

- Copying zip to temp directory
- Installing YouTube_Vanced_-_Magisk_Repo-v13.34.50(b01.25.00).zip
update-binary: line 40: Load: not found
update-binary: line 54: setup_flashable: not found
- A/B partition detected, current slot: _b
- Mounting /system, /vendor
- Device skip_initramfs detected
Archive: /data/user/0/com.topjohnwu.magisk/cache/install.zip
inflating: common/post-fs-data.sh
inflating: common/service.sh
inflating: common/system.prop
inflating: config.sh
inflating: module.prop
Please install Magisk v17.0+!
! Installation failed

can u try to uninstall magisk (with latest uninstaller zip) and do a fresh install of it (v17.1)? to me seems like something is
broken in your install.

Valuable venture.

Questions (for my rig details see my sig below):

1. After completely uninstalling YouTube and installing Youtube_13.34.50-1334502300_API17(armeabi-v7a)(nodpi)(vDark-v2.0.2)-vanced.apk in TWRP¹ via ytva-universal-installer-v3.0.zip, after reboot I still see YouTube in Google Play Store, and wanting to be updated. Hum?? Why then did I uninstall it before? If I installed this update, wouldn't that overwrite the vanced mod? Needless to say, when installing this mod, wouldn't we want it to be detached from the Play Store BY DEFAULT, to avoid any such confusion and collision??

Next issue:
In the 1st posting I read that for some unfathomable reason we are expected to manually do the Play Store detachment by using "BOTH, a settings.sh AND plz files as parameters while installing".

2. But the script file's name downloaded from Google Drive/ Public Files/ INSTALLER is ytva_use_this_settings.sh, NOT settings.sh. That's unclear. Do I put ytva_use_this_settings.sh to sdcard/Download, or do I have to rename it to settings.sh?

3. Where is explained in the 1st posting what to do with the ytva_use_this_settings.sh file? I opened it in a text editor and it looks as if I need to edit the desired setting(s) from NO to YES, then save.

4. In the first posting it reads to "use BOTH, settings.sh AND plz files", but in ytva_use_this_settings.sh it reads:

I guess this should read

And accordingly, in the 1st posting, shouldn't it rather read:

Vanced makes use of EITHER the ytva_use_this_settings.sh file OR .plz files as parameters while installing, whereby .plz files are ignored when a ytva_use_this_settings.sh file is found by the installer.

Please admins, would you asap correct all these errors and missing essentials in the descriptions so it all becomes user friendly?

Thank you.

5. When trying to detach YT Vanced from Google Play, in TWRP I always get "Updater process ended with ERROR: 1", regardless of which of the two detach .plz files I copy into sdcard/download next to the zip and the apk, and even when I use the .sh script file, also regardless of if I have edited into DETACH="YES" or DETACHONLY="YES".

I do NOT get ERROR: 1 when using any of the 4 detach options, and neither with the UNINSTALL .plz file.

Yes, enough disk space in /System.

I researched this ERROR: 1 issue, but that did not help me at all. What's the solution?

6. Can you please provide just the script to detach YT (vanced) from the Play Store, either one to be installed via TWRP, or one to be run from a root terminal command in Android?

7. Would you please make Play Store detachment DEFAULT in the ytva-universal-installer.zip !! Why not?

Thank you for this project and for your motivation to improve it.
----------------------
¹ TWRP 3.1.1-0 for Samsung Galaxy J5 2016 with Aroma support by Lemlis

i'm in answering mood so be prepared for details :)

1.)
a.) then something went wrong during install and it didn't get installed for any reason and u still have stock YT installed, but actually this all didn't happen as i see no logs. ;)
b.) yes ytva would get overwritten by the update of course, but u actually don't need to uninstall stock yt app beforehand if all went well it just gets overwritten by installer.
c.) no, for historical reasons we don't want to detach by default. i did enable it by default some time ago when doing the installer for magisk but this is a dirty hack and unfortunately multiple
people run into issues with playstore for example were they didn't get any updates from any app anymore so i decided to make it on demand and on explicit own risk. (so be warned btw!)
d.) there is no confusion either the installation worked or it didn't. u can check that by letting playstore alone and just open the app or even faster by just checking if the icon has changed. ;)
for the update thing: as the detach not always works i suggest just to disable autoupdate for youtube in playstore and just don't update manually.
e.) have to check the post but for clearance: u can use EITHER the "plz" files OR the settings file...

2.) ...it's naming is "ytva_use_this_settings.sh" like it is provided no need to rename it, just download and use it (the intention was to make it as easy as possible for the user)
3.) yes thats the purpose of this file and YES self-explaining isn't it? :)
4.) have to check but if it is like so it has to be more clear, yes agree.
5.) now im confused, first it didn't work with any of the attach/detach plz files or settings file settings, then it worked with all 4? which 4 exactly? u mean only the "attach/detach" options?
but to maybe fix anything i again would need a twrp log, maybe there is more info in what exactly did not work.
6.) well it's all in already so i would rather try to fix that (if there is even a problem) but u have alternatives, u can try this (which is btw. the method i use in the scripts except the hack itself) : https://xdaforums.com/android/software-hacking/mod-detach-market-links-theme-ready-apps-t3447494
or use titanium backup to detach (this is btw. also the hack i used in the scripts because it worked best on more systems. this does not survive a reboot and that's the reason why we have to do it every boot with a script)
7) nope, see 1c ;)

-Deco-

Sep 22, 2015
Glasgow

Unreasonable request, Google does not allow for scripts or apps which enable features in their own apps through external means, nevermind ripping out an APK file, modifying it and having it replace the original Youtube app.

RootedLee

Sep 1, 2017
i'm in answering mood so be prepared for details :)

1.)
a.) then something went wrong during install and it didn't get installed for any reason and u still have stock YT installed, but actually this all didn't happen as i see no logs. ;)
b.) yes ytva would get overwritten by the update of course, but u actually don't need to uninstall stock yt app beforehand if all went well it just gets overwritten by installer.
c.) no, for historical reasons we don't want to detach by default. i did enable it by default some time ago when doing the installer for magisk but this is a dirty hack and unfortunately multiple
people run into issues with playstore for example were they didn't get any updates from any app anymore so i decided to make it on demand and on explicit own risk. (so be warned btw!)
d.) there is no confusion either the installation worked or it didn't. u can check that by letting playstore alone and just open the app or even faster by just checking if the icon has changed. ;)
for the update thing: as the detach not always works i suggest just to disable autoupdate for youtube in playstore and just don't update manually.
e.) have to check the post but for clearance: u can use EITHER the "plz" files OR the settings file...

2.) ...it's naming is "ytva_use_this_settings.sh" like it is provided no need to rename it, just download and use it (the intention was to make it as easy as possible for the user)
3.) yes thats the purpose of this file and YES self-explaining isn't it? :)
4.) have to check but if it is like so it has to be more clear, yes agree.
5.) now im confused, first it didn't work with any of the attach/detach plz files or settings file settings, then it worked with all 4? which 4 exactly? u mean only the "attach/detach" options?
but to maybe fix anything i again would need a twrp log, maybe there is more info in what exactly did not work.
6.) well it's all in already so i would rather try to fix that (if there is even a problem) but u have alternatives, u can try this (which is btw. the method i use in the scripts except the hack itself) : https://xdaforums.com/android/software-hacking/mod-detach-market-links-theme-ready-apps-t3447494
or use titanium backup to detach (this is btw. also the hack i used in the scripts because it worked best on more systems. this does not survive a reboot and that's the reason why we have to do it every boot with a script)
7) nope, see 1c ;)
Thank you ZaneZam for being in immediate, comprehensive and thorough answering mood :good:

Most important details first:
1. Maybe I did not write clear enough that YT vanced itself gets installed just fine (other icon, vanced options in settings) and that ONLY any of the four detach approaches do not work.

5. I was getting tired - I meant to write "any of the 4 ATTACH approaches does not produce any error", sorry about that (will correct in my posting next)

1c./ 7 (some other people having issues with detach ON by default): OK, gotcha - bummer. I think it would make a lot of sense to mention that in the 1st posting.

6. (other methods): I have tried them ALL before with the stock YT app to hide it in Play Store - extensively, with all possible options/ board user tweaks etc. , and NONE of them work/ stick (as for *many* others I could tell from reading across dozens of posts).

Which finally DID work last nite by recommendation of several other YT vanced users with the exact same issue I described was SudoCode755's [MOD][XPOSED] Sudohide: Prevent apps from being detected by other apps !!! Detailed instructions here.
I'm aware this is Xposed-based and not everybody has Xposed installed. However, I'm sure it would make sense if you looked at the code and singled out the part needed for a more compatible detach script, since TWRP's install method akin to Xposed's method of "driling into" anything Android sys. Maybe even SudoCode755 can help pinpoint to the required code.

1a (TWRP log): OK I'll supply ASA I have time again (am almost out-of-the-door now) - might be a few days because I'll be on-the-road.

1e: yes it's a very common language issue regardless of language to confuse EITHER+and+OR with BOTH+and because our mind does not like either/ or by design.

Anyway, I'm stoked about YT vanced (wow!) + it being out of the Play Store *finally* after hours of messing .. :eek:

---------- Post added at 10:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 AM ----------

Unreasonable request, Google does not allow for scripts or apps which enable features in their own apps through external means, nevermind ripping out an APK file, modifying it and having it replace the original Youtube app.
We don't care at all here about what "Google does not allow" . . this entire forum is about treating ourselves with what Google thinks they can have for themselves .. ;)

With install via TWRP and Xposed pretty much ANYTHING is possible.

Reactions: ZaneZam

-Deco-

Sep 22, 2015
Glasgow
We don't care at all here about what "Google does not allow" . . this entire forum is about treating ourselves with what Google thinks they can have for themselves .. ;)

With install via TWRP and Xposed pretty much ANYTHING is possible.
Actually, people here do, especially developers, it's rather important given that users risk having their accounts permanently banned if they attempt to have pirated features enabled in an app. Not to mention that such a move would give exposure to the app potentially giving Google motive to crackdown on it.

Simply put, there's a reason why XDA, Magisk exist - to supplement what isn't allowed on the Playstore, it's not a debatable issue.

Sent from my OnePlus 6 using XDA Labs

Reactions: rippledrums

RootedLee

Sep 1, 2017
Actually, people here do, especially developers, it's rather important given that users risk having their accounts permanently banned if they attempt to have pirated features enabled in an app. Not to mention that such a move would give exposure to the app potentially giving Google motive to crackdown on it.

Simply put, there's a reason why XDA, Magisk exist - to supplement what isn't allowed on the Playstore, it's not a debatable issue.

Sent from my OnePlus 6 using XDA Labs
Agreed, it's always walking on a thin line - a legal grey zone. Which shade of grey, people need to decide for themselves. I think XDA is doing a good job in that regard - otherwise we would not be writing here. The L*cky app is certainly over-the-top (or rather below the waistline). But I think you agree that already apps and alike like YT vanced and many Xposed modules here on XDA must be pretty deep grey for Google's eyes .....

SeZ87

Mar 23, 2011
THANK YOU SO SO MUCH for all the effort you guys put into your wonderful little mod. I love you for turning it into the app it should be, it's incredibly good and fun to use and I'm just glad there are people like you to put in the time for this and make it available to anyone looking.

Reactions: ninestarkoko

droid_1989

Dec 6, 2011
Leeds
Background play doesn't work on the Pixel 2 XL running Android P - it's force closing. I'm not sure where the logcat files are stored - I'm completely non root if that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Mod Edit├┤Closing note. YouTube Vanced lives on in ReVanced (not affiliated with Vanced)├

‼️Before asking or posting anything, please read the first and second posts.‼️

Always check the official Vanced website or XDA thread when downloading. Other sites are fake, contain advertisements (possibly even malware), and have older versions.

Vanced Banner-01-01.png

Vanced is a well-known modded version of the YouTube app with many features such as ad-blocking and background playback. Vanced also offers some extra features to enhance the user experience. The entire list is available below:

Features:

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:

Since YouTube v14.41.52, Google has moved to split APKs format. The Android package installer doesn't support Split apks yet, so we are now using Vanced manager for installing all vanced apps. The steps to use the vanced manager are below:
    Especially for MIUI, there's a separate guide that can be accessed using this link. For all other devices, please follow below:

For Non-Root:
    1. Install Vanced Manager
    2. Open Vanced Manager and tap the blue arrow in the lower right corner.
    3. Begin installing Vanced microG. (Without which you won't be able to install Vanced (or Music Vanced) or use login)
    4. Then install Vanced (or Music Vanced), log in to your account and enjoy!
    For Root:
    1. Install Vanced Manager
    2. Open Vanced manager and tap on the "Magisk" icon to grant root permissions.​
    3. Once you are in, begin installing Vanced (or Music Vanced).​

Important information:

• We replaced our root installation with vanced manager, which directly mounts vanced on top of Youtube in the /data/app directory, making it easier and faster than before.
    • Vanced will not block ads while casting since when you use the casting feature, it doesn't send the video from your phone to the Chromecast/TV. Instead, your phone acts like a remote controller for the youtube app in your Chromecast/TV. That is why the advertisement is displayed.
    • Purchasing items in the non-root version of the app will not work as microG doesn't support it. Hence, it is preferable to use the original YouTube app or using the web version for any purchase.
    • If your videos are lagging or the application starts to crash while watching live videos, please enable VP9 codec from codec override present under vanced settings. Google forced the ExoPlayer v2, which is highly experimental and unstable on unsupported devices.
    • YouTube has dropped support for Android 5 (Lollipop) with v17.xx.xx. Hence, the minimum supported version is now Android 6 and above.

Known bugs:

• Swipe down gesture for refreshing home feed breaks randomly. It's an issue with litho that only Google can fix. There's nothing we can do to fix it. (Tap here to learn more)
    • As of v16.16.38, casting won't work due to an upstream microG bug. (Tap here to learn more)
    • On portrait/vertical videos, preferred quality options do not work.
    • Swipe controls triggers when swiping either upwards or downwards to scroll through description or in live chat when in landscape mode.
    • On new action bar layouts(server-sided feature), the new toggles won't work.
    • Info cards toggle is broken (Temp fix: Disable it through your Google account settings. This setting disables info cards everywhere.)
    • App crashes with java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError while playing some video outside of vanced.
    • Manual codec override is broken and very experimental.
    • Some users might face geographical ads on YouTube Shorts tab.
    • SponsorBlock segments at the end of videos in playlists causes playback on the next video to start where the previous one ended.

Social links

Thread Managed by @ZaneZam, @Razerman, @KevinX8 and @laura almeida

BUG Reports:

Steps to do before reporting a bug:
    1. Do a search and see if it has already been reported
    2. Check that the bug is actually a Vanced bug and doesn't happen in the original YouTube.
    Steps to do when reporting a bug:
    1. Make sure you are being enough descriptive of the problem.
    2. Take a logcat (Google search if you don't know how). Especially if the issue is a crash.
    3. Taking pictures of the problem doesn't hurt.
    4. If the report is vague (missing information), it will most likely just be ignored. If you are not going to show any effort in resolving the problem, why should I?
    Bug report template:
    1. Vanced exact version number (Do NOT say latest).
    2. Download link used to download Vanced.
    3. Installation method (whether user SAI or Vanced Manager)
    4. Device.
    5. ROM (optional may not help).
    6. Any applied Substratum/swift overlays.
    7. Logs if there are any crashes/force closes (upload to Pastebin or hastebin or katbin) and paste the link of it with your report. [Check here to know how to get logs]
    8. A brief description of the issue
    9. Any installed mods to the system.
    10. Test your issue on the stock youtube app

Important links:

Downloads:

Alternative Mirrors for pre 15.x: AFH Mediafire
    New site up https://vanced.azurewebsites.net/ with latest version of YouTube as base (13.10). Includes some bugfixes and other changes detailed on discord. At the time of writing this post apkmirror lacks apks for arm so you will have to wait a while until it has them and then we will be able to make arm root builds.
    New update is out v13.28.54 with following changes:
    - 13.28.53 Full width search bar fix
    - Translation support for more strings
    - HDR brightness bug fixed when using swipe controls
    - Auto repeat can now be linked to autoplay toggle
    - Top-Swipe paddig range added
    - Seek buttons fixed
    - COMPLETE REWORK of all mods for v13.27+ versions (many thx and all credits to @Razerman !!)