[GUIDE] ROOT - Extreme battery life with 8-10h SOT & Opt for MIUI - Custom ROMs

Search This thread

LionHeart90

Nov 14, 2018
Hi everyone, this is a guide based on my personal tests, which I have the pleasure to share with the whole community, for experienced users and not. Regardless of whether you prefer to use a MIUI stock or a custom ROMs, these are a series of tricks, Tweaks, passages, let's call them what we want, to get the maximum in terms of battery life, without sacrificing performance. First of all, we talk mainly to have the better experience for MIUI and PRINCIPALLY for ROOTED users, and custom ROMs too. No rooted users cannot expect miracles because there are modifications that mainly affect the entire operating system. I also hoped to find the Holy Grail, but unfortunately it still hasn't happened.
Anyway,: If you want to use a MIUI (preferably GLOBAL, I will explain later why this is the case); the first thing I recommend in addition to a backup (just in case), it's a pretty safe Debloat using the complete Saki tool:
https://saki-eu.github.io/XiaomiADBFastbootTools/

After giving our device a nice cleanup from Bloatware (obviously you choose which ones to remove or not, personally I removed almost all of them leaving only Gallery, Phone and Messages without any problem), the best part comes, and that is to apply all the settings for a better user experience in every aspect. The MIUI is obviously not optimized as a custom ROM, so we should do it ourselves. Personally I am a root user, so first of all I flashed Evira Kernel and Magisk (with which I am wonderfully) and put modules that I personally recommend: LKT (or others similar modules), Syconfig Patcher (they are the ones that interest us), but of course the appearance rooting is optional.

But back to optimization; for each application that we will install, we will have to configure its type of activity in the background based on how much you want the app to act in the background. For example, the "MIUI Calculator" app, which I almost never use, will have set "limit app functions", otherwise applications that we will use more often will suffice "MIUI optimization", such as "Youtube", and what more important, for apps for which notification is essential (such as Whatsapp or Gmail), remove the limitations.
But it's not over. Write in the settings menu "change system settings", then a list will open with all the apps we have installed. Clicking on one of them, a menu will open, where clicking on "battery and performance", we will choose whether to put the limitations in the background or not, same speech as before, limit everything that is not necessary, inverse speech obviously goes for app important to us (gmail whats etc), which we will leave free to act in the background.
Still in the "battery and performance" menu, click on "battery optimization" and optimize everything you can, except as usual, the apps you don't want to be limited as in the previous two steps.
Now we can activate the "Battery saving" mode, which will obviously work on the whole system, except for all the apps that we have NOT optimized before. They will absolutely not be touched. (A nice break of *** optimize the MIUI , Doh!)

Remember that at the beginning of the guide I told you "better to focus on the global rather than the ROM developer?" well, using a third-party tool like Kernel auditor (personally I use EX Kernel Manager with which I am wonderfully), in the dashboard the developer rom had higher CPU peaks than the Global.Il that involved higher consumption. And it is a tool like this "Ex Kernel Manager etc" that we will now configure.

Step 1 Configure the Governor.
The mode and the speed with which the processor passes from the maximum frequency to the minimum one is regulated by the so-called * "Governor"
There are more than 100 different types of Governor for kernel, more or less different; but not all Governors are present in the Kernels. In case you are using Evira Kernel, my advice is to set the CPU to the "Alucardsched" Governor which offers an excellent compromise between performance and battery life.

EDIT: Recently tested zzmove gov with Evira Kernel: little performance is lost compared to alucardsched, but the battery benefits. Personally i have chosen profile 3 (ybatex).

Step 2 I / O scheduler
It is precisely a program in the form of an algorithm which, given a set of requests for access to a resource, establishes a temporal order for the execution of such requests, privileging those that respect certain parameters, so as to optimize the access to this resource and thus allow the completion of the desired service / instruction or process. In this case, I recommend setting it to noop or Zen, for an approach closer to the battery.
In the GPU section, if you don't use particularly heavy games, (personally I play every now and then in clash royale and I don't have any kind of lag at all) you can also set up your own governor here, setting one like Powersave, but in any case this is completely subjective .
Once everything is set up, all that remains is to talk about the last aspect,
the Doze.

Originally introduced with Android Marshmallow, it allows applications and various activities in the background to "sleep" when the device is screen off. Of course over time it has been increasingly perfect, which is why: In a Stock MIUI you can afford to download Naptime, Servicely or Greenify if you want (personally I use Nap & Serv) to enhance Doze or hibernation as in the case of Greenify (excluding as always the apps we want to be in the whitelist).
IMPORTANT: different words must be made for Custom ROMs, which being already optimized, and having a definitely more effective Doze than the basic stock, DO NOT NEED third-party apps like Naptime or Greenify. In this case, even setting everything as the guide, notifications will not arrive when the screen is off, except when you unlock the device.
so as far as custom ROMs are concerned, you just need to limit the apps as in the guide, leave in the background those you don't want to be touched, and always remove the optimization for these "important" apps, I always repeat "whatsapp gmail etc". In this way you will be able to activate energy saving quietly, the apps you prefer will not be touched, and you already have a Doze optimized like the rest of the system. The only thing that applies to Custom ROMs, is always to set the Governors as described above.

That's all at last :fingers-crossed:.
Attached here are my screenshots, with 8 hours of SOT, DIVIDED IN THREE DAYS, so sometimes the phone was idle as during the night or at work. With these configurations, in a single day, or in a day and a half, you will easily arrive even at 10 hours of SOT and maybe even beyond. I hope you fell asleep while reading, but I wanted to make a guide (even if long), to explain to those who may not be very practical, some things that can always be useful. A simple "thanks" is always welcome!
Greetings .:good:

Attachments

• 62231783_417862768807371_1593893033907060736_n.png
    62231783_417862768807371_1593893033907060736_n.png
    229.1 KB · Views: 10,184
  • 62214667_306599330218425_5822731001918390272_n.png
    62214667_306599330218425_5822731001918390272_n.png
    194.8 KB · Views: 10,163
  • 62231190_647969958960797_4476128101717245952_n.png
    62231190_647969958960797_4476128101717245952_n.png
    59.1 KB · Views: 10,141
Last edited:

LionHeart90

Nov 14, 2018
Two more things: for more battery saving, u can disable automatic sync in settings menu (so sync when u want), and probably after some rebooting, it is possible that the governors will reset itself to the default one. So I suggest you check it out.

Last edited:

AbboodSY

May 3, 2014
Homs
Really thanks for your concern about battery life stuff, and yup indeed on custom ROMs sometimes we can get up to 10hrs SoT without any mod or even a custom kernel (my experience)!
I'm looking forward to see how long the battery will last when we get Android Q update from MI..

LionHeart90

Nov 14, 2018
Really thanks for your concern about battery life stuff, and yup indeed on custom ROMs sometimes we can get up to 10hrs SoT without any mod or even a custom kernel (my experience)!
I'm looking forward to see how long the battery will last when we get Android Q update from MI..

Thank you very much! If I am not mistaken, beyond the various new functions, the "Extreme battery savings" will return. With an adequate optimization, as above (also to be as clear as possible with any type of user), we hope to see many beautiful new performances :fingers-crossed::fingers-crossed:

AbboodSY

May 3, 2014
Homs
If I am not mistaken, beyond the various new functions, the "Extreme battery savings" will return. With an adequate optimization, as above (also to be as clear as possible with any type of user), we hope to see many beautiful new performances :fingers-crossed::fingers-crossed:

I hope that MIUI 11 will bring some new battery saving techniques as well!

Reactions: efedezeta

Eddywarez

May 4, 2019
Thanks for the guide, with it you cleared some doubts that I had, I just have a question, for battery/performace Anxiety can be better than Zen? For what I read the past days is an optimized version of Maple wich gives good balance between battery and performance.

:good:

LionHeart90

Nov 14, 2018
Thanks for the guide, with it you cleared some doubts that I had, I just have a question, for battery/performace Anxiety can be better than Zen? For what I read the past days is an optimized version of Maple wich gives good balance between battery and performance.

Thanks bro; Zen and Anxiety are so similar as they are also different. Each I/O scheduler we choose can be the most indicated according to what we do with our device. Let me clarify: Anxiety is better in term of battery saving comparing with Maple, "It prioritizes reads over writes but tends to starve writes more".
Zen is based on noop and deadline, very stable and have a great balance, for this reason i choose it. But as mentioned there are no schedulers better than others. But better according to our needs. My advice is to try them both, and see how you are in your daily use of the device :fingers-crossed::fingers-crossed:

Eddywarez

May 4, 2019
Thanks bro; Zen and Anxiety are so similar as they are also different. Each I/O scheduler we choose can be the most indicated according to what we do with our device. Let me clarify: Anxiety is better in term of battery saving comparing with Maple, "It prioritizes reads over writes but tends to starve writes more".
Zen is based on noop and deadline, very stable and have a great balance, for this reason i choose it. But as mentioned there are no schedulers better than others. But better according to our needs. My advice is to try them both, and see how you are in your daily use of the device :fingers-crossed::fingers-crossed:

Thanks for your answer and your work.

kennyk09

Mar 24, 2009
Battery life is not the only thing I look for. Stock rom batter life is good enough after debloat in many crapps using saki. Stability, functionalities, security.. overall stock rom is the way to go for me at the moment. Did you mention restricting permission on apps?

Eddywarez

May 4, 2019
Welp, after playing Free Fire for 1:20:00 and PUBG for 4:00:00, a little Browsing, my battery usage was of 76%, I don't use LKT because last time I try it my wifi started working weird, only use Snaptime. Evira 2.2.

I would like to know what do you think about zzmove governor that was added in Evira 2.3. Thanks.

Last edited:

empedocle86

Account currently disabled
Aug 22, 2013
GB
meettomy.site
I tried to use your settings but at reboot all configuration change to interactive or schedutil for CPU, msm-adreno-tz for GPU e anxiety for Scheduler I/O. I guess there are some conflicts with LTK.... I don't kwow how you have 8 hours of screen on your device...

LionHeart90

Nov 14, 2018
Welp, after playing Free Fire for 1:20:00 and PUBG for 4:00:00, a little Browsing, my battery usage was of 76%, I don't use LKT because last time I try it my wifi started working weird, only use Snaptime. Evira 2.2.

I would like to know what do you think about zzmove governor that was added in Evira 2.3. Thanks.

Sure bro, i just flashed it few minutes ago. After a complete recharge cycle, ill tell u my opinion :highfive:

Reactions: Eddywarez

LionHeart90

Nov 14, 2018
I tried to use your settings but at reboot all configuration change to interactive or schedutil for CPU, msm-adreno-tz for GPU e anxiety for Scheduler I/O. I guess there are some conflicts with LTK.... I don't kwow how you have 8 hours of screen on your device...

Mate, if u read with more attention, i wrote about it in my second post..
Just reconfig Governor already. It could be happen, is normal

Last edited:

Eddywarez

May 4, 2019
Im going to test darknesssched with zen without sysconfig patcher (Had mobile data connection issues), alucardsched give me a little lag in PUBG, when I use darknesssched that dont happen, zzmoove dont convince me, it is based in conservative and hasnt been updated since 2015, for what I know cpu governors schedutil based are more "smart".

demo0007

Aug 27, 2013
Hm, i am locked...and have no kernels installed. And I'm not planing to do it.
Did restrictions and debloat and this is what I get.

Since I am on 10.3.5. my battery is weaker..
On 10.2.7 I had 2 sims with lousy signal, and I was having about 7,8 h of sot and same use.

Now before this tweaks I was hardly getting 5h in 24h

Yesterday I had weaker use then ussual but still, this isn't very good..but I think it is better.

I dont like this 10.3.5.

Screenshot_2019-06-13-15-02-14-581_com.miui.securitycenter.jpgScreenshot_2019-06-13-15-02-19-196_com.miui.securitycenter.jpgScreenshot_2019-06-13-15-02-22-200_com.miui.securitycenter.jpgScreenshot_2019-06-13-15-02-29-330_com.miui.securitycenter.jpg

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi everyone, this is a guide based on my personal tests, which I have the pleasure to share with the whole community, for experienced users and not. Regardless of whether you prefer to use a MIUI stock or a custom ROMs, these are a series of tricks, Tweaks, passages, let's call them what we want, to get the maximum in terms of battery life, without sacrificing performance. First of all, we talk mainly to have the better experience for MIUI and PRINCIPALLY for ROOTED users, and custom ROMs too. No rooted users cannot expect miracles because there are modifications that mainly affect the entire operating system. I also hoped to find the Holy Grail, but unfortunately it still hasn't happened.
    Anyway,: If you want to use a MIUI (preferably GLOBAL, I will explain later why this is the case); the first thing I recommend in addition to a backup (just in case), it's a pretty safe Debloat using the complete Saki tool:
    https://saki-eu.github.io/XiaomiADBFastbootTools/

After giving our device a nice cleanup from Bloatware (obviously you choose which ones to remove or not, personally I removed almost all of them leaving only Gallery, Phone and Messages without any problem), the best part comes, and that is to apply all the settings for a better user experience in every aspect. The MIUI is obviously not optimized as a custom ROM, so we should do it ourselves. Personally I am a root user, so first of all I flashed Evira Kernel and Magisk (with which I am wonderfully) and put modules that I personally recommend: LKT (or others similar modules), Syconfig Patcher (they are the ones that interest us), but of course the appearance rooting is optional.

But back to optimization; for each application that we will install, we will have to configure its type of activity in the background based on how much you want the app to act in the background. For example, the "MIUI Calculator" app, which I almost never use, will have set "limit app functions", otherwise applications that we will use more often will suffice "MIUI optimization", such as "Youtube", and what more important, for apps for which notification is essential (such as Whatsapp or Gmail), remove the limitations.
    But it's not over. Write in the settings menu "change system settings", then a list will open with all the apps we have installed. Clicking on one of them, a menu will open, where clicking on "battery and performance", we will choose whether to put the limitations in the background or not, same speech as before, limit everything that is not necessary, inverse speech obviously goes for app important to us (gmail whats etc), which we will leave free to act in the background.
    Still in the "battery and performance" menu, click on "battery optimization" and optimize everything you can, except as usual, the apps you don't want to be limited as in the previous two steps.
    Now we can activate the "Battery saving" mode, which will obviously work on the whole system, except for all the apps that we have NOT optimized before. They will absolutely not be touched. (A nice break of *** optimize the MIUI , Doh!)

Remember that at the beginning of the guide I told you "better to focus on the global rather than the ROM developer?" well, using a third-party tool like Kernel auditor (personally I use EX Kernel Manager with which I am wonderfully), in the dashboard the developer rom had higher CPU peaks than the Global.Il that involved higher consumption. And it is a tool like this "Ex Kernel Manager etc" that we will now configure.

Step 1 Configure the Governor.
    The mode and the speed with which the processor passes from the maximum frequency to the minimum one is regulated by the so-called * "Governor"
    There are more than 100 different types of Governor for kernel, more or less different; but not all Governors are present in the Kernels. In case you are using Evira Kernel, my advice is to set the CPU to the "Alucardsched" Governor which offers an excellent compromise between performance and battery life.

EDIT: Recently tested zzmove gov with Evira Kernel: little performance is lost compared to alucardsched, but the battery benefits. Personally i have chosen profile 3 (ybatex).

Step 2 I / O scheduler
    It is precisely a program in the form of an algorithm which, given a set of requests for access to a resource, establishes a temporal order for the execution of such requests, privileging those that respect certain parameters, so as to optimize the access to this resource and thus allow the completion of the desired service / instruction or process. In this case, I recommend setting it to noop or Zen, for an approach closer to the battery.
    In the GPU section, if you don't use particularly heavy games, (personally I play every now and then in clash royale and I don't have any kind of lag at all) you can also set up your own governor here, setting one like Powersave, but in any case this is completely subjective .
    Once everything is set up, all that remains is to talk about the last aspect,
    the Doze.

Originally introduced with Android Marshmallow, it allows applications and various activities in the background to "sleep" when the device is screen off. Of course over time it has been increasingly perfect, which is why: In a Stock MIUI you can afford to download Naptime, Servicely or Greenify if you want (personally I use Nap & Serv) to enhance Doze or hibernation as in the case of Greenify (excluding as always the apps we want to be in the whitelist).
    IMPORTANT: different words must be made for Custom ROMs, which being already optimized, and having a definitely more effective Doze than the basic stock, DO NOT NEED third-party apps like Naptime or Greenify. In this case, even setting everything as the guide, notifications will not arrive when the screen is off, except when you unlock the device.
    so as far as custom ROMs are concerned, you just need to limit the apps as in the guide, leave in the background those you don't want to be touched, and always remove the optimization for these "important" apps, I always repeat "whatsapp gmail etc". In this way you will be able to activate energy saving quietly, the apps you prefer will not be touched, and you already have a Doze optimized like the rest of the system. The only thing that applies to Custom ROMs, is always to set the Governors as described above.

That's all at last :fingers-crossed:.
    Attached here are my screenshots, with 8 hours of SOT, DIVIDED IN THREE DAYS, so sometimes the phone was idle as during the night or at work. With these configurations, in a single day, or in a day and a half, you will easily arrive even at 10 hours of SOT and maybe even beyond. I hope you fell asleep while reading, but I wanted to make a guide (even if long), to explain to those who may not be very practical, some things that can always be useful. A simple "thanks" is always welcome!
    Greetings .:good:
    Two more things: for more battery saving, u can disable automatic sync in settings menu (so sync when u want), and probably after some rebooting, it is possible that the governors will reset itself to the default one. So I suggest you check it out.

If I am not mistaken, beyond the various new functions, the "Extreme battery savings" will return. With an adequate optimization, as above (also to be as clear as possible with any type of user), we hope to see many beautiful new performances :fingers-crossed::fingers-crossed:

I hope that MIUI 11 will bring some new battery saving techniques as well!