windows 95 on HD2 (for real)

Search This thread

aszu

Dec 10, 2009
Thanks for this tip kilrah, mouse works well when pressing this 'button'.

On QEMU/Win95 version I attached there is a full keyboard (it uses toolbar-full.qtb) - keys are a bit small but I believe you can magnify them using some external software.

Last edited:

michd2

Jan 20, 2010
Apeldoorn
And what exactly is the advantage of having Windows 95 on your HD2? Its funny allright, but I suppose that messaging and calling isn't possible anymore...

aszu

Dec 10, 2009
And what exactly is the advantage of having Windows 95 on your HD2? Its funny allright, but I suppose that messaging and calling isn't possible anymore...

This emulator (which can run Win95) is just an app running on your HD2, it doesn't impact/remove/change WinMo in any way - so you obviously still can make calls and so on.

In most cases, running Win95 on smartphone is just purely for fun, however I can think of some examples when it actually might be useful: i.e for running some old business application, etc.

Actually, using this emulator you can run almost any x86 program on your HD2, as I mentioned before HoMM2 (best game ever!) works absolutely great and is fully playable with your fingers.

kilrah

Sep 16, 2005
On QEMU/Win95 version I attached there is a full keyboard (it uses toolbar-full.qtb)
Indeed, I actually had it too, just needed to select it in plugins_ini.txt.
But I did switch to your build, seems more recent than the russian forum one.
However, on the full toolbar my "magic button" isn't there anymore? Oh well, at least we can dynamically switch toolbar in this build... but none of them seem to have support for the "-net user" option we'd need to get network access...

Last edited:

aszu

Dec 10, 2009
Indeed, I actually had it too, just needed to select it in plugins_ini.txt.
But I did switch to your build, seems more recent than the russian forum one.
However, on the full toolbar my "magic button" isn't there anymore? Oh well, at least we can dynamically switch toolbar in this build... but none of them seem to have support for the "-net user" option we'd need to get network access...

Heh, this 'magic button' on full size keyboard is located just under virtual 'mouse keys'. It looks like horizontal bar.

Yeah, unfortunately there is still no network support.. We have to somehow force mamaich (donations? :p ) to continue work on this emu! :D

arxx

Dec 30, 2006
This ROCKS :) Windows 95 on the HD2, and it works kinda great. If the mouse buttons were a bit bigger, navigating would be even easyer.

But what to use if for, could we install apps and games on it?

If we could install games, connect an bluetooth mouse (keyboard?) this would be the ultimate geek app for me :D

kilrah

Sep 16, 2005
I have a bluetooth keyboard that I just received, tried to use it but not much success so far... some special keys work (arrows, enter, escape) but none of the actual letter keys do. Problematic :D

kilrah

Sep 16, 2005
"Possible but too heavy". 98 already takes 15-20sec to open an explorer window...

miko3d

Jun 17, 2006
guys, make sure you have installed the cirrus graphic drivers properly, it makes big difference,win95 works really fast in 16 bits with those drivers,win98 needs more memory, make sure you have given plenty of it in the qemu settings, Qemu has some issues at accesing and writing data, it seem to stall,

there are great apps and games to try, as I already wrote before Starcraft Broodwars runs on it,with the full units, missions packs etc... and the speed is surprisingly good ingame, the biggest issue is the clunky interface for the keyboard and the mouse, really needs to be developed for the HD2 multitouch.

i have also tried civilization 2 and theme hospital with good speed.

but there are plenty more that comes to my mind like c&c red alert, total anihilation,settler2 etc... basically any game of around mid 90s, maybe even newer....

arxx

Dec 30, 2006
guys, make sure you have installed the cirrus graphic drivers properly, it makes big difference,win95 works really fast in 16 bits with those drivers,win98 needs more memory, make sure you have given plenty of it in the qemu settings, Qemu has some issues at accesing and writing data, it seem to stall,

there are great apps and games to try, as I already wrote before Starcraft Broodwars runs on it,with the full units, missions packs etc... and the speed is surprisingly good ingame, the biggest issue is the clunky interface for the keyboard and the mouse, really needs to be developed for the HD2 multitouch.

i have also tried civilization 2 and theme hospital with good speed.

but there are plenty more that comes to my mind like c&c red alert, total anihilation,settler2 etc... basically any game of around mid 90s, maybe even newer....

How do you install games with this emulator? I don't seem to get access to the memory card from My computer?

kruithofm

Jan 20, 2010
Whahahaha..... :D

I had the blue screen on it.... Pitty I did not have a camera within my reach....

Cool.... :D

xiniyo

Nov 10, 2009
magic mouse

can it use the bluetooth of the phone ??
so i can use my magic mouse and logitech keyboard:D

mmmalas

Dec 25, 2005
can someone upload a video of booting \ usage. it will got alot of publicity for sure :)

96edwy

Mar 1, 2009
Blackpool
sorry for being an idiot but i opend the qemu launcher and i selected stor card/qemu/emul/win95 n nuthing happens wen i hit launch any tips?

96edwy

Mar 1, 2009
Blackpool
im sure someoneon here could modify the qemu slightly lik make the keybourd so tht it pops up wen u clik sumthin and obviously bigger than it is now and make it fullscreen n stuff

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Windows 98 running fine on wimo qemu

great news!!!

to get windows 98 full running on qemu Wimo:

THE BIG SECRET AND MATTER OF CAUSE: MSTASK.EXE

~~~~~~~~~ just disable "mstask.exe" ~~~~~~~~~

Step by step: install a windows 98 c partition image on qemu on your windows desktop on comparing or emty qemu hardware setting. Copy on HD2 and try to boot. No Problem in save mode but in normal mode it freeses or crashes if desktop comes up. After 1000 trys to boot with difftrent settings in qemu and windows 98 guest there was a lukky error at desktop start: "could not load mstask.exe". But win98 startet complete and stable in normal mode. To get this error i had to try very bad and slow memory settings. But I just shot image down, renamed "mstask.exe" in Windows/System32 Folder and now it is runnin fast and stable on HD2 with every setting up to 240 MB Ram ;-)
    So now I disabled mstask.exe in msconfig/autostart and restore mstask.exe, if it will come up again with errors I will delete it for ever! It is just the "Windows's Task Scheduler service" and causes problems on many Win98 real hardware machines... So now I will try to get Photoshop 7 and 3DStudioMax running and report soon... And I will try 3DMark 99 and 03 :D

Good luck all!! Hope you will find your old 98 CD and report. Or May be try same with win98SE or winME.

Will make a movie soon.

Someone find a way to get the toolbar bigger than the GEN-TOOLBAR size?

Someone knows how to edit settings in qemu android?

Lol this was my rabbit jumping on keyboard:

+#5erft89343434343434343434343434343434343434343434343434343434
    I had trouble again with mouse behaviour on qemu folder I tried to include. Another few hours without sleep but it is finished and I try to upload on mega. I already tried to upload on the xda-developers.ch account but it allows only 60 mb and I have about 202 mb. I hope mega upload will work.

It is a complete Windows 98 setup(only web tv is not installed) with some important updates, drivers installed for qemu devices, some settings optimized for touch input, a virtual keyboard, a virtual mouse helper, some bling settings, some little programs to play with and "Radix" demo to show some fast 3D-Frames on a very old game(trigger escape to exit).
    Try screensavers and solitaire ;-)

Directx is not installed because early versions are not downwards compatible and could not be removed easy so you could install the directx version you will need. I would suggest directx 9.0c.

You could use additional hdd, cdrom or floppy images to install software. You could also boot this on qemu desktop to get online if you need updates or something like that.

It includes a qemu version optimized for this image, very fast with a nice UI and usefull toolbars, I hope it is easy to install and will work for all.

Just follow the steps 1-5 in the folders.

Memory is set to 192 mb, if it does not start try to reboot phone first or set mb to 128. For me it works nice with up to 220 mb and I copy my sd card full only about 50 mb free so qemu could not create big swap file and is running faster in ram. Sometimes it does not start with "could not allocate memory" message but after rebooting HD2 it works nice again.

Some software is not running on this because a qemu bug. I noticed this on calmira xp and 3D Studio Max 3.1. If you have trouble running software that should run on Win98 use the image with trukkys qemu version. It runs everything I tested. But it is slower and without menu and issues on toolbar keycodes so only use it if you hve problems.

I will send links as soon image is up, hope it will be up soon before I fall into sleep.
    Information for a possible new QEMU Emulation Thread.

nice will test it! Dam I was still hoping for 800x480. Still locking for standard vga driver for 98 and cirrus driver for xp. If you enable hardware accelleration on cirrus on Win98 everything on desktop is shon somhere else so it is impossible to use it. May be standard vga just dont do this because on standard driver is no hardware acceleration at all.

You are right we should create a new clean howto thread with overview in entry post. Let me know if I could help. May be we could better create a Wiki page?

Definetly have the confirmed stuff trickle down into a Wiki page but in order to collect the best drivers, settings, possibilities, a very organized thread will be needed. I figured I will try to get it the way I made the MaxSense Custom Design Thread. Below is a example of what I mean. In my Sig you can find the link to the CDC Thread. Basically have 8 to 10 posts reserved.

First Post: Thread Infos / Overview / Search for Programmers / Limitations
    Second Post: QEMU for ARM Information / QEMU_Manager / Available Keyboards
    3rd - 9th Post: 1 Post per OS collecting all the information (Drivers,Optimal QEMU Settings, Configuration Scripts, Videos, Screenshots,etc)
    10th Post and up: Discussions, findings, etc. (Confirmed Information will get summarized and posted in the appropriate reserved OS Post with links to the Post if needed)

I will start publishing what I got so far tomorrow Morning. I will start with Win95 since that runs solid and then do one after another hopefully with everyones help.

Open Questions:

What would be the best location for the new Thread. Also under HTC Leo: HD2
    breadcrumbs-arrow.png
    HD2 Q&A ? Does it only apply to the HD2 or is it just easier to collect the information here and everyone else can use it too but if their devices are too slow it would maybe not clog up the Thread with its too slow for my device answears.

What about Linux Builds? Seperate Thread?

I appologize for the large Post but would love to hear your Input on how to organize it better. Anyone that needs a link to a Build or other information you can also PM me so that aSID1712 does not have to answear everything by himself. We also would need atleast 1 Mod that would check to make sure that I and others dont post anything that is harmfull or inappropriate to the Forum.

Note: None functional mok-up. See CDC Thread for functional example of the same principal.

Overview_QEMU_Thread.png
    Hi friends, I am ok but I am at work all day long. Try this for sound device in cmdline.txt. Type this
    -soundhw
    sb16

Sent from my HTC HD2 using XDA App
    sorry I was setting up so much. This is Win98SE realy "complete" now also including flash9, divx, quicktime, .net framework 2, better sound, all updates i found and all online updates from microsoft, Open Office, virtual joystick required for some games, new qemu toolbar and much more...

I am realy packing now and locking for space to upload. This is bigger than last one.
    This also includes Win98SE NAND, bootable from Win98SE in Host as 2. level emulation. Extract c98nand.img from d98crazy and copy to internal storage.

So sorry for waiting but I dont want to do this again.

If it is up I will send some links, please resend or repost here or where you want and reupload. But it ill take some hours to upload, you will have it before christmas.

@ Tokl: I know there arre diffrent versions and latest has bugs on arm.
    XP runs on Trukkys qemu version and this is also included in my upload to boot alternate required for some software on Win98SE image. This is only for 3 Programs and everything else will run better on default included qemu version from start menu. I will test your bios and settings.

But please follow complete the steps for my images for first boot and dont just copy into your qemu folder because there are diffrent versions ith diffrent plugins and the mouse and menu and keyboard ill only work fine if you follow the steps.

Upload will have 1,17 gb and I don´t want to remove anything more noe just to get a few mb. So I will have to split and upload will take some hours.