[Tutorial] How to set up sms/call/email count with tasker and minimalistic text

Search This thread

akoe

Dec 21, 2010
Since tasker can be complicated ive tried to make this as simple as possible even though it might not seem like it. This is my first tutorial so constructive criticism and comments are appreciated!

NOTE: If you dont know what Tasker is research it and what it does otherwise you wont understand this tutorial.

1. Setting up the first profile

A. Okay first we need to start a new profile in tasker by clicking "new" on the bottom.
Name it whatever you want or leave it blank.
Your first profile should look like this once completed:
1stshot.jpg

2. Setting when your context so tasker will know when its supposed to do something

A. You want your context to be "received text".
Choosing through menus go to "Event>Phone>Received Text"

3. Setting up what tasker is supposed to do when the "conditions/context" are met

A. Next we need a task, name it whatever you want or leave it blank. Add a task by clicking the plus on the bottom left. When choosing actions you want to navigate to "Variable>Variable Set"
When setting up this variable, you want it to look like this:
2ndshot.jpg

Make sure there are spaces between the + and 1 and "Do Maths" is checked otherwise it wont display right.

4. Setting up tasker so it will send the sms count to Minimalistic Text widget

A. Add a 2nd task by clicking the plus on the bottom left. When choosing an action navigate to "Plugin>Minimalistic Text variable settings. The settings will show up, set them up like this:
3rdshot.jpg

Okay so we've set up a profile to add a 1 to the count everytime you have a new text. Problem is, we have to set up another profile to reset the count to 0 after youve read your texts

5. Setting up the 2nd profile so your sms app to reset the count to 0 when closed

A. Start a new profile, name it or not, and add a context of "Application>whatever messaging app you use here". I use chompsms so for me its "Application>chompsms".
It will look like this when completed:
4thshot.jpg

B. Set up the new variable like so:
5thshot.jpg

This will reset the counter to zero everytime you close out of your messaging app

EDIT: its also possible to have not have the zero displayed so theres nothing there. Instead of using "variable set" use "variable clear" with the variable your using.

C. Add one more variable to have Tasker display it through Minimalistic text. Its the same set up as step 4A

6. Setting up minimalistic text to display tasker variables

A. Create a new minimal text widget on your homescreen/lockscreen and choose "custom layout". Add "Locale Variable" from Misc and set up the variable name to be % MNMLMSGCOUNT
6thshot.jpg

NOTE: Minimal text will not add "SMS" or "MESSAGES" in front of the count. You have to manually add it with "Static Text" under Misc

Exapmles of how i use it:
7thshot.jpg

8thshot.jpg

Please leave questions or comments if you have them and since i did this on my phone i will check how it looks on a computer soon

Thanks: thedesolatesoul for explaining to me how to set this up! He should post a screen of his so we'll see how his is set up

Update 2-10
Missed Call Count: call count is achieved by following the tutorial and changing "MSGCOUNT" to "MISSEDCALL" and changing the 2nd profile app to phone

Update 2-11
Unread Email Count: this works with only K-9 since its open source. Same set up for sms count just different context "K9 Email Received" and different variable "%UNREADEMAILCOUNT". The 2nd profile context to set it to zero is app "K9"
9thshot.jpg

Last edited:

eizonuts

Nov 26, 2010
thanks for the guide! this is wayy shorter than the other variants

i think a couple images are missing though

Last edited:

rrambo

Jan 13, 2011
I appreciate you posting this.. always looking for new ways to use Tasker.. I've only scratched the surface so far..

Loam1990

Jan 4, 2011
Hi,
Awesome, I will try !!

Edit : I succeed everything, only one. When I go in Minimalistic, I create my own, and in my homescreen there is : "SMS : " but no 0 with ..
Have you got any idea?

( I am so sorry for my bad english, I hope you understand..)

Last edited:

akoe

Dec 21, 2010
Hi,
Awesome, I will try !!

Edit : I succeed everything, only one. When I go in Minimalistic, I create my own, and in my homescreen there is : "SMS : " but no 0 with ..
Have you got any idea?

( I am so sorry for my bad english, I hope you understand..)

Try going into your sms app and then hitting home or back

Loam1990

Jan 4, 2011
Nothing happens :(

I don't understant, I did like you said :(

In minimalistic, it's writing : "SMS[LOCTV]

Last edited:

Loam1990

Jan 4, 2011
It is in "To 0"...

Maybe I found the problem ! Tasker says me "no profil active", is it the problem ? How can I active my profil ?

Sorry for all my questions :(

akoe

Dec 21, 2010
It is in "To 0"...

Maybe I found the problem ! Tasker says me "no profil active", is it the problem ? How can I active my profil ?

Sorry for all my questions :(

Haha its alright. Make sure all your profiles are checked on the right and in the bottom right make sure the on is green like so:
aefd5a5f-708e-cfd3.jpg

Then hit apply and it should work fine

Loam1990

Jan 4, 2011
I don't understand, everything looks good, but nothing happens ! I don't understand :(

Attachments

• Tasker.jpg
    Tasker.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 586

akoe

Dec 21, 2010
I don't understand, everything looks good, but nothing happens ! I don't understand :(

Do you have a task killer running? Im not sure if it matters with tasker but i always set it to "ignore"
Our next option - post your screens of your tasks from the task edit menu

Sent from planet earth

thedesolatesoul

Oct 3, 2010
Nice work akoe...i like the direction this is heading in :)

Loam1990,
You need to break down what actually isnt working
First find out if the context is being triggered, then find out if the task is working, then find out why the variable isnt reaching minimalistic text
...and easy way to do this is go into the tasks you made for clearing the count, and press the 'Test' button at the bottom
If it works it means your tasks are fine and your context is wrong
otherwise your context is right but your tasks/variables are wrong

anyways...just wanted to post my screenshot too :D

Attachments

• snap20110208_2.jpg
    snap20110208_2.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 1,080

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Since tasker can be complicated ive tried to make this as simple as possible even though it might not seem like it. This is my first tutorial so constructive criticism and comments are appreciated!

NOTE: If you dont know what Tasker is research it and what it does otherwise you wont understand this tutorial.

1. Setting up the first profile

A. Okay first we need to start a new profile in tasker by clicking "new" on the bottom.
    Name it whatever you want or leave it blank.
    Your first profile should look like this once completed:
    1stshot.jpg

2. Setting when your context so tasker will know when its supposed to do something

A. You want your context to be "received text".
    Choosing through menus go to "Event>Phone>Received Text"

3. Setting up what tasker is supposed to do when the "conditions/context" are met

A. Next we need a task, name it whatever you want or leave it blank. Add a task by clicking the plus on the bottom left. When choosing actions you want to navigate to "Variable>Variable Set"
    When setting up this variable, you want it to look like this:
    2ndshot.jpg

Make sure there are spaces between the + and 1 and "Do Maths" is checked otherwise it wont display right.

4. Setting up tasker so it will send the sms count to Minimalistic Text widget

A. Add a 2nd task by clicking the plus on the bottom left. When choosing an action navigate to "Plugin>Minimalistic Text variable settings. The settings will show up, set them up like this:
    3rdshot.jpg

Okay so we've set up a profile to add a 1 to the count everytime you have a new text. Problem is, we have to set up another profile to reset the count to 0 after youve read your texts

5. Setting up the 2nd profile so your sms app to reset the count to 0 when closed

A. Start a new profile, name it or not, and add a context of "Application>whatever messaging app you use here". I use chompsms so for me its "Application>chompsms".
    It will look like this when completed:
    4thshot.jpg

B. Set up the new variable like so:
    5thshot.jpg

This will reset the counter to zero everytime you close out of your messaging app

EDIT: its also possible to have not have the zero displayed so theres nothing there. Instead of using "variable set" use "variable clear" with the variable your using.

C. Add one more variable to have Tasker display it through Minimalistic text. Its the same set up as step 4A

6. Setting up minimalistic text to display tasker variables

A. Create a new minimal text widget on your homescreen/lockscreen and choose "custom layout". Add "Locale Variable" from Misc and set up the variable name to be % MNMLMSGCOUNT
    6thshot.jpg

NOTE: Minimal text will not add "SMS" or "MESSAGES" in front of the count. You have to manually add it with "Static Text" under Misc

Exapmles of how i use it:
    7thshot.jpg

8thshot.jpg

Please leave questions or comments if you have them and since i did this on my phone i will check how it looks on a computer soon

Thanks: thedesolatesoul for explaining to me how to set this up! He should post a screen of his so we'll see how his is set up

Update 2-10
    Missed Call Count: call count is achieved by following the tutorial and changing "MSGCOUNT" to "MISSEDCALL" and changing the 2nd profile app to phone

Update 2-11
    Unread Email Count: this works with only K-9 since its open source. Same set up for sms count just different context "K9 Email Received" and different variable "%UNREADEMAILCOUNT". The 2nd profile context to set it to zero is app "K9"
    9thshot.jpg
    Thanks guys! Ill add more pictures too
    Do you have any other cool things you've done with Tasker?
    In "Variable Name" ? I did..

Hmm im not sure. With the app profile make sure your variable is set "To 0"
    Slightly off-topic, but relevant--any idea how I'd set up Tasker to display a minimalist widget with the content of the last SMS from a particular contact?

I have it set as %VARNAME and the variable content is %SMSRB
    if
    %SMSRF ~ (Contact)

and then in
    Minimalist widget I have it set to Locale and %VARNAME, but it doesn't display anything.

Edit: Ok, I cut out the if SMSRF ~ (Contact) bit, and now the widget is displaying something, but instead of the last text from the contact, it's displaying %SMSRB

Any ideas?

What is the event you have that triggers the task? you should be able to set incoming text from a given contact to enable the task.

Sent from my Incredible using Tapatalk