[TUTORIAL][ROOT] How to root your HTC Wildfire S?

Search This thread

Heritz

Mar 21, 2011
www.dannyherran.com
First of all, I'd like to thank chlinkchlink for finding out about some rooting instructions on XDA.cn. It has been a pain in the nuts to root this thing but it seems like the chinese folks over there were able to crack it. I am not the author of the script, I'm just putting all this together for everyone to enjoy. Also, thanks to the people of XDA.cn for their work.

I know GingerBreak works on some roms, but recent firmware versions have been fixed to not work with GingerBreak, one example is the Bell Canada firmware variant.

So far this method works on:
  • Stock European ROMs (tested by sammyke007)
  • Bell Canada ROMs (tested by me)
  • Asian ROMs (tested by XDA.cn)
  • T-Mobile ROMs (tested by Tera Tike)

Requirements:

• A Wildfire S with unlocked bootloader or S-OFF. If your bootloader is still locked, head to HTCDev.com to unlock it.
  • A PG76IMG.zip file (custom recovery UI). Attached to this post you will find a custom UI by XDA.cn. Alternatively you can use ClockworkMod Recovery from this post. Whatever zip you use, is fine, but I would totally recommend ClockworkMod for its great features.
  • A root.zip file (the root script). Attached to this post.
  • A microSD card on your phone formatted FAT32.

What does it do?: The script will install the su binary, busybox and superuser on your phone.

NOTE: There is a newer easier methot to root your phone called Unlock Root. Its a one-click root. Read this post for more info.

Step 1: Flashing the Custom Recovery UI by XDA.cn

1. Again, make sure your device is S-OFF.
  2. Again, make sure your memory card is formatted FAT32.
  3. Place the PG76IMG.zip file into your phone SD card.
  4. Disable Fast Boot from your phone settings (Settings > Power > Disable Fastboot)
  5. Turn your phone off.
  6. Hold down the "power" button and the "volume down" button for a few seconds till you see the HBOOT screen.
  7. Don't press anything. The system will scan for some files and it will prompt you for an update. Move the cursor to OK (volume up) to start the flashing process.
  8. After it finishes, press the "power" button to restart the system.
  9. Let Android boot and delete the PG76IMG.zip file from your SD card via USB.
  10. Congrats! Custom recovery has been installed. Process to step 2.

Step 2: Flashing the rooting script by XDA.cn

1. Copy the root.zip file into your phone SD card.
  2. Turn your phone off.
  3. Boot into recovery: Hold down the "power" button and the "volume down" button for a few seconds till you see the HBOOT screen. Let it do its thing and then select "RECOVERY".
  4. At the recovery menu, use the volume buttons to select "install zip from sd card".
  5. Then select "choose zip from sd card".
  6. Then find the "root.zip" file on the list.
  7. Select "YES".
  8. Let the script do its thing till you see "Install from sd card completed".
  9. Select "Go Back" on the menu till you find the "power off" option and select it.
  10. Turn your phone back on and let Android boot.

142357twb86rxtjvtejv8e.png

That's it. Superuser will be installed on the phone along with Busybox and the su binary. You will be able to allow access to applications needing root permissions now.

Troubleshooting:

Q: Superuser force-closes when an application requests for root permissions.
R: It will not FC when the 1st app requests permissions, but will FC when a 2nd app does. It happened to me on the Bell Canada firmware. It can be fixed by clearing the Superuser application data and then running Superuser from the app drawer. It will request an update of the 'su' binary, and once installed, the error wont ocurr anymore. You can also download the latest Superuser application from the Android Market.

Source: http://bbs.xda.cn/thread-7706280-1-1.html

Enjoy!

---------
androidmodo.com

Attachments

• PG76IMG.zip
    3.5 MB · Views: 157,250
  • root.zip
    873.8 KB · Views: 223,098
Last edited:

chlinkchlink

Aug 1, 2008
Thanks for greeting, i'm not a dev engeneer or anything but searching on google is an art :D
I can't test this because my Wildfire is S-ON.

Maybe later , too bad :)

V6-Maniac

Jun 27, 2006
Groningen
I just thought i post it here since there is no proper topic to find.

Since two weeks my wifi has got her Wildfire S.
And sadly it didn't came with a already S-Off Hboot.
So we where and still waiting for a soft s-off.

Yesterday i e-mailed the dutch HTC department with the question if they are going to unlock old phones.
Well, today i got a mail with there reaction and they say that they are working on a OTA update to unlock all HTC devices.

I'm still waiting for a answer when this update is going to be released.

But this is good news, right.

Edit:
Just got a answer, time of realease is onknow :-(

Last edited:

imlgl

Aug 15, 2010
Norfolk
Think that might be August-September time as that is when they are releasing the other unlocks.

shokouhi

Apr 2, 2011
Salt Lake City
If anyone gets this working on USA Tmous Wildfire S please let me know. I looked over and tried the instructions, no dice. Thanks for the post however.

woprr

Jul 28, 2011
  1. Again, make sure your device is S-OFF. OK
  2. Again, make sure your memory card is formatted FAT32. OK
  3. Place the PG76IMG.zip file into your phone SD card. OK
  4. Turn your phone off. OK
  5. Hold down the "power" button and the "volume down" button for a few seconds till you see the HBOOT screen. OK
  6. Don't press anything. The system will scan for some files and it will prompt you for an update. Move the cursor to OK (volume up) to start the flashing process. NOT OK

Not working. No such prompt. After loading image Error "Wrong zipped image".

Recovery method loading root.zip with the xtc clip supplied image installed not working, too.

http://translate.google.com/transla...://bbs.xda.cn/thread-7706280-1-1.html&act=url

Target: HTC A510e
BB 47.10.353029H_7.46.35.08 SW 1.33.401.2 CL44680 release
keys. Marvel PVT SHIP S-OFF RL, HBOOT-1.02.0000, MICROP-0451, RADIO-7.46.35.08, MAY 31 2011

Rezipping with Linux Open Source zipper:
Loading Image...
Parsing Image...
Falls back to HBOOT Menu, no error message seen.

Trying HBOOT ->RECOVERY
handset logo with green recovery logo...
handset logo with red error logo...
-> volume up + power
Android sys recovery 3e appears
->Apply update from sdcard...
->choose zip...
E: signature verification failed

Must the setting "Allow unknown software sources" be on?

Trying:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1115015

Code:
$ md5sum PG76IMG-3.2.0.1/*.img
900e14d52d51a8d4736cfc6114c1b0ea  PG76IMG-3.2.0.1/recovery.img
$ md5sum PG76IMG/*.img
900e14d52d51a8d4736cfc6114c1b0ea  PG76IMG/recovery.img

No. Identical.

Trying cw version...
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1213229

Flash prompt appears. Good.

Installing PG76 + update.zip succeeded.

...installing root utilities:

the root.zip content from this thread is from 3/2011, the su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip from the older thread is from 6/2011, checking md5sums...

different:
Code:
$ md5sum su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed/system/bin/su
6a64d2ed128b3229d66cd0b075e721ff  su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed/system/bin/su
$ md5sum root/system/bin/su
eafd6ce052f80a7f217d2e6033b2ce15  root/system/bin/su
$ 
$ md5sum su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed/system/app/*
1ecd5a590fe54d5f1f6ae4f19f171a99  su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed/system/app/Superuser.apk
$ md5sum root/system/app/*
4ec9e96986478cb000f9d58f374f39f5  root/system/app/Superuser.apk

choosing newer, busybox from root.zip is from 2010.

Code:
$ clamscan -r --bell --infected --no-summary --detect-pua su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed
$ clamscan -r --bell --infected --no-summary --detect-pua root
$ clamscan -r --bell --infected --no-summary --detect-pua --heuristic-scan-precedence=yes su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed
$ clamscan -r --bell --infected --no-summary --detect-pua --heuristic-scan-precedence=yes root

And don't take that personal, but I see most of You guys working on windoze ;)

Booting recovery and installing su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip...
installed OK.

Rechecking recovery... OK.
Normal boot... OK.

Restoring apps+settings with google sync, phone prompts for FOTA-updates, I may not allow this or HTC will revert it to S-ON and genuine recovery?

Great. All my telephone contacts are lost, stupid google sync, lucky sdcard vcf backup.

Last edited:

Tera Tike

Mar 31, 2006
Dallas
THANKS Heritz!

Just rooted US TMOBILE Wildfire S. The only one issue was SuperUser, which all I did was download the current one from the market and reboot.

Reactions: mssandrar

aarun444

Jan 5, 2011
I am using Asian Rom I installed pmg zip but nt wrking in hboot anyone pls help me I can't see any option s off s on in my device.I also tried these files to flash in recovery but failed any one tel me hw to root my device.pls reply in simple step strut 4 my English
Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using XDA App
Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using XDA App

denbagus

Nov 22, 2007
Nothing happened

Turn your phone off. Hold volume down + power button for a couple of seconds till you see a white screen. It should say "S-OFF or S-ON" at the top.

There is no any reaction when I hold the volume down + power button. The screen still appears black. Is there another solution to see the S-ON or S-OFF.

Thanks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First of all, I'd like to thank chlinkchlink for finding out about some rooting instructions on XDA.cn. It has been a pain in the nuts to root this thing but it seems like the chinese folks over there were able to crack it. I am not the author of the script, I'm just putting all this together for everyone to enjoy. Also, thanks to the people of XDA.cn for their work.

I know GingerBreak works on some roms, but recent firmware versions have been fixed to not work with GingerBreak, one example is the Bell Canada firmware variant.

So far this method works on:
    • Stock European ROMs (tested by sammyke007)
    • Bell Canada ROMs (tested by me)
    • Asian ROMs (tested by XDA.cn)
    • T-Mobile ROMs (tested by Tera Tike)

Requirements:

• A Wildfire S with unlocked bootloader or S-OFF. If your bootloader is still locked, head to HTCDev.com to unlock it.
    • A PG76IMG.zip file (custom recovery UI). Attached to this post you will find a custom UI by XDA.cn. Alternatively you can use ClockworkMod Recovery from this post. Whatever zip you use, is fine, but I would totally recommend ClockworkMod for its great features.
    • A root.zip file (the root script). Attached to this post.
    • A microSD card on your phone formatted FAT32.

What does it do?: The script will install the su binary, busybox and superuser on your phone.

NOTE: There is a newer easier methot to root your phone called Unlock Root. Its a one-click root. Read this post for more info.

Step 1: Flashing the Custom Recovery UI by XDA.cn

1. Again, make sure your device is S-OFF.
    2. Again, make sure your memory card is formatted FAT32.
    3. Place the PG76IMG.zip file into your phone SD card.
    4. Disable Fast Boot from your phone settings (Settings > Power > Disable Fastboot)
    5. Turn your phone off.
    6. Hold down the "power" button and the "volume down" button for a few seconds till you see the HBOOT screen.
    7. Don't press anything. The system will scan for some files and it will prompt you for an update. Move the cursor to OK (volume up) to start the flashing process.
    8. After it finishes, press the "power" button to restart the system.
    9. Let Android boot and delete the PG76IMG.zip file from your SD card via USB.
    10. Congrats! Custom recovery has been installed. Process to step 2.

Step 2: Flashing the rooting script by XDA.cn

1. Copy the root.zip file into your phone SD card.
    2. Turn your phone off.
    3. Boot into recovery: Hold down the "power" button and the "volume down" button for a few seconds till you see the HBOOT screen. Let it do its thing and then select "RECOVERY".
    4. At the recovery menu, use the volume buttons to select "install zip from sd card".
    5. Then select "choose zip from sd card".
    6. Then find the "root.zip" file on the list.
    7. Select "YES".
    8. Let the script do its thing till you see "Install from sd card completed".
    9. Select "Go Back" on the menu till you find the "power off" option and select it.
    10. Turn your phone back on and let Android boot.

142357twb86rxtjvtejv8e.png

That's it. Superuser will be installed on the phone along with Busybox and the su binary. You will be able to allow access to applications needing root permissions now.

Troubleshooting:

Q: Superuser force-closes when an application requests for root permissions.
    R: It will not FC when the 1st app requests permissions, but will FC when a 2nd app does. It happened to me on the Bell Canada firmware. It can be fixed by clearing the Superuser application data and then running Superuser from the app drawer. It will request an update of the 'su' binary, and once installed, the error wont ocurr anymore. You can also download the latest Superuser application from the Android Market.

Source: http://bbs.xda.cn/thread-7706280-1-1.html

Enjoy!

---------
    androidmodo.com
    Thanks, that worked perfectly.

Lucky the wildfire S i have here came S-Off :D
    How can i check if it's S-ON or S-OFF ?

Turn your phone off. Hold volume down + power button for a couple of seconds till you see a white screen. It should say "S-OFF or S-ON" at the top.
    THANKS Heritz!

Just rooted US TMOBILE Wildfire S. The only one issue was SuperUser, which all I did was download the current one from the market and reboot.
    Dear All,

I have a HTC Wildfire A510e and I am not sure if it is S-OFF or S-ON.

I tried this method of turning off the phone and then holding the lower volume button and powering up but it does not give me anything and the phone just boots up normally.

Please let me know how I could determing the S-Status

Thanks for all the help.

Regards,
    Guddu

Turn off the fast boot option.
    Settings ==> Power

Greetings