jerpelea

Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 7, 2006
Lund
sites.google.com
TIME TO MOVE ON
i wil be on xperia section
i am happy that i could help this section
Best Regards, Happy Cookling and Programing!

Hy all
I started this tread because the interest to android is growing
I invite all people with linux knowledge or C programing skills to join
If you know some hardware programing is better

We need
- developpers
- testers

i will not post an guide how to setup the compiler and set variables
if you dont know this stuff please stick to Google Android thread and dont post here stupid questions as IT IS READY / WHEN WILL IT BE READY

WE DO THIS IN OUR SPARE TIME AND WE HAVE FAMILY AND LIFE

So shell we invite the penguin to our phones?

WIKI Page
(Thanks Bikor_gj)
http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index.php?pagename=Niki_Android

GIT Trees

Vogue
http://git.linuxtogo.org/?p=groups/mobile-linux/kernel.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/htc-vogue

MSM
http://git.linuxtogo.org/?p=groups/mobile-linux/kernel.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/htc-msm-2.6.25

Attachments

• nike_05_11_08_snap.zip
    45.7 KB · Views: 1,396
Last edited:

jerpelea

Nov 7, 2006
Lund
sites.google.com
Reserved For Messages

Build Instructions for the ones that want to help

- Create working dir:
Code:

mkdir ~/android-kernel

- Go to the dir:
Code:

cd ~/android-kernel

- Clone the Linuxtogo GIT:
Code:

git clone git://git.linuxtogo.org/home/groups/mobile-linux/kernel.git

- Go into newly created dir:
Code:

cd ~/android-kernel/kernel

- Create a new branch, call it htc-msm and link it to the official htc-msm development branch:
Code:

- Descend into the "main" android dir:
Code:

cd ~/android-kernel

- Get toolchain:
Code:

wget http://www.codesourcery.com/gnu_too...-none-linux-gnueabi-i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.bz2

- maybe you need to rename the just downloaded file (because after .tar.bz2 wget has added ?lite=arm). (HINT FOR LINUX-NEWBIES: USE TAB TO COMPLETE KNOWN FILENAMES!! - In this case type: mv arm(TAB) arm(TAB) -> backspace till 'bz2' is the last word)
Code:

mv arm-2008q1-126-arm-none-linux-gnueabi-i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.bz2\?lite\=arm arm-2008q1-126-arm-none-linux-gnueabi-i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.bz2

- unpack the toolchain:
Code:

tar -xjf arm-2008q1-126-arm-none-linux-gnueabi-i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.bz2

- ascend again into the 'kernel' directory:
Code:

cd ~/android-kernel/kernel

- make the kernel:
Code:

git checkout -b htc-vogue origin/htc-vogue
You also have to use
Code:

make vogue_defconfig ARCH=arm

- export path so the newly downloaded toolchain will be used instead of your default compiler (which would compile for your computer instead of your phone):
Code:

export PATH=~/android-kernel/arm-2008q1/bin:$PATH

- make the zImage-file:
Code:

make zImage ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-none-linux-gnueabi-

Now the zImage file is created inside the directory kernel/arch/arm/boot.

When uploading this to your phone, remember that you only have to replace the zImage after each kernel build - the Linux environment on top of the kernel can just stay the same, so initrd (which is the ramdisk filesystem) can stay the same.
BR

Last edited:

jerpelea

Nov 7, 2006
Lund
sites.google.com
Reserved For Kernel Status

Kernel status

no more power button //thanks biktor_gj
nike mtype added
audio working
call working
data working
sms unknown //due to keyboard and ts
keyboard screwed // somethings not right needs investigation
OnSreenKeyboard working
Touch screwed // SOLVED

when this kernel probelms will be solved i will release the new kernel

Last edited:

graey

Aug 25, 2007
I have limited knowledge of both c and linux, so I possibly could help.
It seems useful however to setup an SVN or something, so even 'non-registered' developers can write patches and submit them for review. You can set up such an SVN for free at assembla.com, together with a wiki, TRAC and more. They even say you can ask for more storage space and stuff if your project is an open-source project.
If you have such an SVN developers like me can help without making any false promises of some sort.
I hope you know what I mean, it sounded better in my head :p

Boylen

May 16, 2008
Sittard
I tried this kernel and indeed, the keypad works on mine!
(touched the TS though, just because you said I wasn't allowed ;) ) It froze, so reboot...

the_fish

May 12, 2008
awesome! keys work all good! numbers work and also dpad and enter works!
(by the way: how will you make it possible to enter text? android is coded to enter numbers...

graey

Aug 25, 2007
awesome! keys work all good! numbers work and also dpad and enter works!
(by the way: how will you make it possible to enter text? android is coded to enter numbers...
I believe by the end of this year or somewhere in the beginning of 2009 Google is making a system for creating software input methods, which would theoretically allow us to write an application that would reroute direct hardware input. I think. We'll have to see what the future will (or the talented developers here) bring.

the_fish

May 12, 2008
I believe by the end of this year or somewhere in the beginning of 2009 Google is making a system for creating software input methods, which would theoretically allow us to write an application that would reroute direct hardware input. I think. We'll have to see what the future will (or the talented developers here) bring.

ok... the onscreen keyboard would be ok for the time we have to wait ;)

Boylen

May 16, 2008
Sittard
Jerpelea: Why do you want Ubuntu as dev os? I'm using OpenSuSE and am able to build the kernel.

I am thinking (since 2 weeks) to try Ubuntu again (used to use it), but may take while before I get to it...

Midget_1990

Retired Moderator
Mar 4, 2006
Worthing
Jerpelea: Why do you want Ubuntu as dev os? I'm using OpenSuSE and am able to build the kernel.

I am thinking (since 2 weeks) to try Ubuntu again (used to use it), but may take while before I get to it...

I think he is just saying that because it's easier for people to use??

works fine for me on vanilla debian :p

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok mates, the million dollar question is...

Can anybody help me figure out what the **** is going on?

Expanded question:
    Multiple keypress version 0.1 of the kernel
    http://www.2shared.com/file/4846122/3ee509dc/zImage.html

This applies mostly to 20key users (16key have some mappings, but they can be all wrong, as the Niki I have is 20k)

After booting, go to a place where you can type (for example google search widget).
    Press Q, you should get a Q :)
    Press Q, you should see the q delete and get a W
    Press Q once again, and you should see the W delete and get a slash (/)

Easy, huh?
    Now, try the same on a keypad number. For example, T
    Press T once, you will get T
    Press T once again, you will get Y
    Press it one last time. On my phone it deletes the key but doesn't write anything else. But it SHOULD write a 2.

Does it do the same for you? If anyone wants to see the sourcecode of the keyboard or thinks who can help, please reply to the post. It's driving me nuts.

PS: Battery meter working :) (thanks Kaiser developers for that)

As you have said, the battery meter is working fine. I have also tried to make some calls and it seems to be working although I only tried calling a service operator and was able to hear what is on the other side.

The loopt error keeps on popping up whenever an event comes up (e.g. received an SMS). The in call volume does not work and it is always set into max, but the volume in playing musics can be fully adjusted. In addition, when the phone was set to automatic sleep, the keypad (16 keys) lights up forever (just like the earlier build).

Thank you very much for your effort, it has really made this project progress.
    Then it's veery strange. Let's see how the new kernel handles it...
    Uploading a new bootkit, with updated system.img and kernel.

Configuration you should do before you run:

Choose board-htcpolaris-keypad.keypadlayout to 0 if you have a 20 key Nike (english)
    Choose board-htcpolaris-keypad.keypadlayout to 1 if you have a 16 key nike
    Choose board-htcpolaris-keypad.keypadlayout to 2 if you have a 20 key Nike (french - azerty)
    Choose board-htcpolaris-keypad.keypadlayout to 3 if you have a 20 key Nike (german - qwertz)
    NOTE: I have figured the key positions on french and german niki's from photos. If it doesn't work, let me know :)

board-htcpolaris-keypad.sticky_timer_time_ms=XXX

Replace the XXX with values between 300-500 if you write fast, and 600-800 if you're slow typing

board-htcpolaris-keypad.slide_override=0
    As the name says, this ommits the sliding function if you don't want the screen orentation to change. Put this to 1 to disable the sliding detection, or 0 to enable it.

Mirror 1: Rapidshare: http://rapidshare.com/files/198077563/Android_bootkit.rar.html
    Mirror 2: 2 Shared: http://www.2shared.com/file/4876485/1b05ccce/Android_bootkit.html
    Feel free to mirror it wherever you like (or if you have a premium account elsewhere)

Regards!
    Contribute to the Wiki with whatever you think could be useful: http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index.php?pagename=Niki_Android

Extract to storage card. Then I go to haret and run. Don´t work