Netflix HD [DISCONTINUED]

Search This thread

sfex3best

Jun 27, 2011
I used to use this version all the time. But now it won't let you play a movie unless you update your Netflix.

Could somebody continue this it was pretty awesome.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Reactions: threshfire

Keychar

Apr 15, 2009
Does anybody have an APK that still works? If so, please post it. I'd be much obliged!

+1 i'm looking for the 3000+ apk as well :)

Dropbox, firedrive, zippyshare

Does anyone still have the apks, if so can you please upload them. Those links do not work.
Thanks

I've reuploaded it, link in first post.

Keychar

Apr 15, 2009

Dishe

Oct 18, 2006
I just stumbled onto this, and I'm super surprised there wasn't more interest!
I just picked up an Android TV box to use as an HTPC, and one thing that I find super annoying is the lack of HD support in netflix (since they are unsupported devices). I was like "for sure someone on XDA figured this out by now!".

So sad its already been discontinued. But I see the old version might still work?

Dishe

Oct 18, 2006
Update- I installed this on my Android TV box (AMlogic S805 quad-core SOL), and the quality seems to be improved over the standard Netflix app that runs on here (standard def).

So kudos to Keychar for bringing something awesome to my home theater setup! Now I don't need to break out the laptop for high quality Netflix. I really do wish it supported user profiles, though... I share this account with my kids and mother in law, and we all have different tastes. Now I have to choose between keeping the content organized, or streaming in high quality. :(

coolbeans2016

Feb 9, 2015
Atlanta
Norton Antivirus Mobile (of course)

Because of lack of time this has been discontinued. I will leave these apk's here for anyone interested to study, hoping that someone will pick up where I left off.

Long time, no see. I just made a hack that I feel I should share with you all.

Attached is a hacked version of the Netflix app, I've modified it to try to raise the bitrate. On my galaxy nexus it brings the bitrate up from 750 kbit/s to 1750 kbit/s (3000 kbit/s in Netflix 2.4.1). I've also modified the seeker behaviour to be better matched for Android TV systems by changing the sticky seeker to 10 seconds instead of a value based on the movie length, which could make the seeker snap minutes away from where you wanted to be.

Notice that this app isn't signed with the Netflix private key, but the default key that came with apksign, so you will have to remove that app before using this one.

Enjoy!

Netflix 3 is out, but I still recommend Netflix 2.4.1. You can read why and download Netflix 3 here.

Netflix 2.4.1 (build 950)
Here are some exciting news. Super HD support for Nexus 7. I've modified the files to unlock that to all 4.3 phones, but there's a performance issue on my phone so I cant test it. Therefore I will upload three files this time. One that should be capable of Super HD and two more limited.

16x maximum bitrate
This should be capable of Super HD, if your phone can handle it and uses Android 4.3.

Maximum 3850 kbps
I haven't been able to test this much, it's more than Galaxy Nexus can handle.

Maximum 3000kbps
This is what the Galaxy Nexus can handle. For image comparison, please visit the link in the second post.

[QRCODE]http://www69.zippyshare.com/v/iGk8sKCx/file.html[/QRCODE]

I previously downloaded these and to my enjoyment found it fixed the problem where HTC's medialink would not play video (audio only) from netflix on t.v. It was only the video. And exactly, only when it would begin to play. Everything else worked before/after video play stopped. Netflix had previously worked from my HTC One sv, but when my girl had gotten the HTC One m8 (Verizon) it had done the same thing but she did not care for using it for that. When my sv died, and got the Sprint HTC One m7, these mods were the only way to get it to play. Reason for post:
Downloaded these again (factory reset), did not have them saved. After installation, before it even goes to allow signin Norton Antivirus pops up snatching the process asking if I want to uninstall this malware!!??? Will continue reading on this, searching forums, just wanted to post in case anyone else has gotten this. By the way, Norton has updated to new version, had to sign EULA again and it has new GUI, old one did not do this.
zach:cool:

Keychar

Apr 15, 2009
Links dead. I know this post is old, stamped "discontinued", but could anyone reading this send me a copy of the mod .apk Mr. Satan did up>??! Seems to be just what is needed for my problem with video........
Thanks,
zach
coolbeans2016@outlook.com
Sorry for the late reply, but can you verify this? The link works for me.

I previously downloaded these and to my enjoyment found it fixed the problem where HTC's medialink would not play video (audio only) from netflix on t.v. It was only the video. And exactly, only when it would begin to play. Everything else worked before/after video play stopped. Netflix had previously worked from my HTC One sv, but when my girl had gotten the HTC One m8 (Verizon) it had done the same thing but she did not care for using it for that. When my sv died, and got the Sprint HTC One m7, these mods were the only way to get it to play. Reason for post:
Downloaded these again (factory reset), did not have them saved. After installation, before it even goes to allow signin Norton Antivirus pops up snatching the process asking if I want to uninstall this malware!!??? Will continue reading on this, searching forums, just wanted to post in case anyone else has gotten this. By the way, Norton has updated to new version, had to sign EULA again and it has new GUI, old one did not do this.
zach:cool:
Norton probably checks the signature on Netflix, sees that it doesn't match the official signature from the Play Store (if I could do that, that would be really scary) and assumes that it's malware. It's not a far fetched conclusion, as it is a "fake" Netflix app, but I promise you (as much as a random hacker on the internet can) that the only modifications done to the Netflix apk are accounted for in the main post. Since Android is pretty limiting against non-system apps, this and keeping track of apps where someone has actually found malware are probably the only ways Norton "Antivirus" actually can operate. Can you work around the warning? Otherwise this issue could probably be fixed by changing the apk package name, so that Norton does not recognize the apk as Netflix anymore.

coolbeans2016

Feb 9, 2015
Atlanta
checked 3 ways from......

Sorry for the late reply, but can you verify this? The link works for me.

Norton probably checks the signature on Netflix, sees that it doesn't match the official signature from the Play Store (if I could do that, that would be really scary) and assumes that it's malware. It's not a far fetched conclusion, as it is a "fake" Netflix app, but I promise you (as much as a random hacker on the internet can) that the only modifications done to the Netflix apk are accounted for in the main post. Since Android is pretty limiting against non-system apps, this and keeping track of apps where someone has actually found malware are probably the only ways Norton "Antivirus" actually can operate. Can you work around the warning? Otherwise this issue could probably be fixed by changing the apk package name, so that Norton does not recognize the apk as Netflix anymore.

Could get past Norton, just click cancel. I remember when it fixed the problem on the Sprint HTC One m7 of not playing video on the medialink it was the third, the slowest of the .apk's that worked with the least lag, but it worked. Now, on my Asus Memo Pad 8 tablet I tried all 3 of the .apk's and was receiving the error after login of "There is a problem connecting to Netflix. Please try again later (13000)." I went through each .apk, from most high end to slowest, then uninstalled Norton with reboot to check and still received this error code. Also, I still have the Sprint HTC One m7, factory fresh reset and installed each of these .apk's to still receive the identical error on this phone as well. Any ideas? Never heard of this error, thought you might. Norton does not have a way to ignore an .apk, like it does on the desktop version where you can restore and ignore items it finds in scans. Just really enjoyed the no lag, super clear Netflix shows I was getting previously using these modded Netflix .apk's.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
zach

QTeknology

Jul 21, 2004
Napoli
I Tried all the apk (2.4.1) and I get
"There is a problem connecting to Netflix. Please try again later (13000)."

I tried 3.x version and It works, but..... what changes here ?

Could you push bitrate to 4200 or 5800 for Full-HD ?

Thanks for all !

Last edited:

Keychar

Apr 15, 2009
Could get past Norton, just click cancel. I remember when it fixed the problem on the Sprint HTC One m7 of not playing video on the medialink it was the third, the slowest of the .apk's that worked with the least lag, but it worked. Now, on my Asus Memo Pad 8 tablet I tried all 3 of the .apk's and was receiving the error after login of "There is a problem connecting to Netflix. Please try again later (13000)." I went through each .apk, from most high end to slowest, then uninstalled Norton with reboot to check and still received this error code. Also, I still have the Sprint HTC One m7, factory fresh reset and installed each of these .apk's to still receive the identical error on this phone as well. Any ideas? Never heard of this error, thought you might. Norton does not have a way to ignore an .apk, like it does on the desktop version where you can restore and ignore items it finds in scans. Just really enjoyed the no lag, super clear Netflix shows I was getting previously using these modded Netflix .apk's.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
zach
Is your phone rooted? The DRM system (widewine, if you want to look it up) does not work on some rooted phones. Otherwise, I've seen some errors that for no reason I can explain keep showing up and suddenly solve themselves and does not come back. I hope that's the case for you, otherwise I'm afraid I can't help.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Because of lack of time this has been discontinued. I will leave these apk's here for anyone interested to study, hoping that someone will pick up where I left off.

Long time, no see. I just made a hack that I feel I should share with you all.

Attached is a hacked version of the Netflix app, I've modified it to try to raise the bitrate. On my galaxy nexus it brings the bitrate up from 750 kbit/s to 1750 kbit/s (3000 kbit/s in Netflix 2.4.1). I've also modified the seeker behaviour to be better matched for Android TV systems by changing the sticky seeker to 10 seconds instead of a value based on the movie length, which could make the seeker snap minutes away from where you wanted to be.

Notice that this app isn't signed with the Netflix private key, but the default key that came with apksign, so you will have to remove that app before using this one.

Enjoy!

Netflix 3 is out, but I still recommend Netflix 2.4.1. You can read why and download Netflix 3 here.

Netflix 2.4.1 (build 950)
    Here are some exciting news. Super HD support for Nexus 7. I've modified the files to unlock that to all 4.3 phones, but there's a performance issue on my phone so I cant test it. Therefore I will upload three files this time. One that should be capable of Super HD and two more limited.

16x maximum bitrate
    This should be capable of Super HD, if your phone can handle it and uses Android 4.3.

Maximum 3850 kbps
    I haven't been able to test this much, it's more than Galaxy Nexus can handle.

Maximum 3000kbps
    This is what the Galaxy Nexus can handle. For image comparison, please visit the link in the second post.

[QRCODE]http://www69.zippyshare.com/v/iGk8sKCx/file.html[/QRCODE]
    I've modified the Netflix 3 client now, but I want to give a warning about it. All references to SuperHD have been removed, and at no time have I been able to reach above 1750 Kb/s. I have also found out why SuperHD doesn't work for all devices on 2.4.1. It requires a locked bootloader to have a seperated and secure space in memory where it can store the Widewine keys. You can read about it under Level 3 here.

Here's the Netflix 3 apk for download, but I still recommend 2.4.1 if video quality is a priority for you.
    [QRCODE]http://rapidshare.com/share/11D48B3E697A0AB4B5FDF56B41645D50[/QRCODE]
    Colder interest than I expected. Here's some screenshots :p
    Comparison
    This is actually the movie that made me do this hack, because this very scene felt so extremely sluggish. I find the extra bitrate does more justice to the stars :)
    Does anybody have an APK that still works? If so, please post it. I'd be much obliged!

+1 i'm looking for the 3000+ apk as well :)

Dropbox, firedrive, zippyshare

Does anyone still have the apks, if so can you please upload them. Those links do not work.
    Thanks

I've reuploaded it, link in first post.