Do you Think HTC will place the same Hardware root block on the DHD as they did on G2

Will the European Desire Z & HD Models be root locked?

• Yes, I think so

Votes: 43 75.4%
  • I don't think so

Votes: 14 24.6%

• Total voters
Search This thread

RollingStar

Jul 3, 2010
London
Well, according to these very forums, the US T-mobile G2 has a hardware root block - a chip which flashes the phone back to the original ROM every time it detects a custom one :mad:

Do you think HTC will place this same hardware root block on the UK Desire Z and more importantly, our precious Desire HD? Personally, I'd like to believe that HTC did this under pressure from T-Mobile US, but I don't know...

Bumble-Bee

Senior Recognized Developer & Original Autobot
Feb 21, 2009
twitter.com
Yes the desire HD will have the same protection as the G2. athough that sounds bad its not as bad as you would think.

1) there will be loads of devs working on the same problem (G2, DesireZ, DesireHD) so the quicker the full root will come
2) we can still "temporeraly" write to system unlike the Evo/Desire/ect. before root

Presumeing that the DesireHD is also vunrable to the rageagainstthecage exploit like the G2. Im pritty shure that it will be as G2 is and the ROM will be built at a similer time if :-D

J

JupiterDroid

Yes the desire HD will have the same protection as the G2. athough that sounds bad its not as bad as you would think.

1) there will be loads of devs working on the same problem (G2, DesireZ, DesireHD) so the quicker the full root will come
2) we can still "temporeraly" write to system unlike the Evo/Desire/ect. before root

Presumeing that the DesireHD is also vunrable to the rageagainstthecage exploit like the G2. Im pritty shure that it will be as G2 is and the ROM will be built at a similer time if :-D

The G2 is running Vanilla 2.2 though, so it may be somewhat different... Lets hope the Desire HD can be rooted ASAP, Im sure Paul OB has a few tricks up his sleeve;) He has an answer for everything you know;)))

JD

Volker1

Jul 31, 2009
Nobody has confirmed yet that there is some sort of hardware block. To me it sounds more like a kernel customization. Anyways, give the G2 hackers a couple of days to figure it out. I wouldn't be surprised if non-US phones (where there is actually competition) will not see this crap.

RollingStar

Jul 3, 2010
London
Thanks for your opinions guys! I guess the key is patience, it seems successful steps have already been taking in unlocking the device. With the combined effort of all of the HTC droid hackers, it shouldn't take very long at all :D

override182

Jun 30, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
override182.net
If they cant disable it, maybe they can make the phone reinstall a rooted version of the stock.. They have temporary root now, hopefully they manage to locate the hidden nand.. If they managed to get write permission to the part where the stock image/rom is, hopefully they will manage to make it restore a rooted version of it. If they manage to disable it, it would be easier for us to flash using rom manager etc but if they cant, we will just have to perhaps rely on restoring method. Its like a nandroid restore mechanism.

Just wishful thinking here, i do not know what they are doing now but hopefully it will work either hard or easy. Things go hard at first and hopefully will be more fluid as time pass by. Pray.. pray.. pray.. Go modders/devs!

Bumble-Bee

Feb 21, 2009
twitter.com
I can tell you all now HTC will have HW R/W protection on there probably controled by the bootloader. They did it on the Desire/Wildfire/Evo they are not going to take a step back with this phone. 99% of the stuff ppl here about the G2 protection is wrong. i.e its not a rootkit :-s what happens.

Bootloader sets eMMC to R/O --> boots os --> any changes get bufferd --> on reboot bootloader restores removing changes

Thats what happens no one realy knows how the restores happen yet.

Root will come probably for all 3 devices at once.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

kingkeld

Aug 12, 2009
Personally, I can live without custom ROM, though I would prefer to have it. I currently own a Hero with MCR5, and love it.

But what is REALLY important is root access to access Market and download the many programs I have already purchased.

Here in Denmark, we only have the locked "free apps only" market. I need my CoPilot and much other stuff!

If I have root, and can run my "root required" apps, then I am happy.

onesolo

Apr 18, 2006
Nexus 7 (2013)
Google Nexus 5
Personally, I can live without custom ROM, though I would prefer to have it. I currently own a Hero with MCR5, and love it.

But what is REALLY important is root access to access Market and download the many programs I have already purchased.

Here in Denmark, we only have the locked "free apps only" market. I need my CoPilot and much other stuff!

If I have root, and can run my "root required" apps, then I am happy.
Have you been inside a cave this last few days?!? If it's all about the market, google is going to open up to almost 30 new countries....
http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2010/09/more-countries-more-sellers-more-buyers.html

Oh, but you tell me, that the X app or the Y app still is not going to be on my country's market...
But that's not google fault, now it up with the software devs to select what country market they want to be

Smartmob

Feb 19, 2010
So, i need a help from you guys with this. I never had Android and have one question.

Ok, i understood that if i want coocked ROM i need to root it, BUT if I want instal crack games and programs and all availible apps from the net, do I still need this root?
Without root i can instal only free games and buy the one with price and thats all??
Thanks ;)

daijoubu

Jan 23, 2010
So, i need a help from you guys with this. I never had Android and have one question.

Ok, i understood that if i want coocked ROM i need to root it, BUT if I want instal crack games and programs and all availible apps from the net, do I still need this root?
Without root i can instal only free games and buy the one with price and thats all??
Thanks ;)
This is wrong!

Hang on, are you asking for advice on pirating? O_O
OMG!
Bingo!

kingkeld

Aug 12, 2009
Have you been inside a cave this last few days?!? If it's all about the market, google is going to open up to almost 30 new countries....
http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2010/09/more-countries-more-sellers-more-buyers.html

Oh, but you tell me, that the X app or the Y app still is not going to be on my country's market...
But that's not google fault, now it up with the software devs to select what country market they want to be

...And this is where MarketEnabler is great. I buy stuff from all over the place. Some I can maybe live without, but some I would hate to miss out on.

And I still need Root for Titanium Backup. :)

ahuenna

May 19, 2008
Saint-Petersburg
Well, according to these very forums, the US T-mobile G2 has a hardware root block - a chip which flashes the phone back to the original ROM every time it detects a custom one :mad:

Do you think HTC will place this same hardware root block on the UK Desire Z and more importantly, our precious Desire HD? Personally, I'd like to believe that HTC did this under pressure from T-Mobile US, but I don't know...

Can somebody explain.. Is this feature "HW root block" will be affect every DHD or only SIM-locked (operator's) phones?

I'm using Galaxy S and it is not difficult to guess that I have pre-ordered DHD on Clove. My Galaxy's using experience tell me to be bad without having root access. So I have been a bit confused when saw this topic.

Bumble-Bee

Feb 21, 2009
twitter.com
The DHD will have the same R/W (root) protection in place as the G2 (vision). I know this as its based on the same chipset and will contain the same eMMC.

HTC always do this on every "generation" of phone i.e desire/evo/ect. Generation had the same NAND lockout as eachother.

So every single shipping DHD will have the G2 style protection

Can a mod pls close this topic its pointless and missleading :)

ErMeglio

Jul 2, 2006
Bedford
Apache you gave me a reason to wait details about this are 100% defined and I add..unlocked..before buying. Can't live with a locked Htc with no custom roms.
One question, can you point me where I can follow the development of this?

RollingStar

Jul 3, 2010
London
Can a mod pls close this topic its pointless and missleading :)
How so? I'm asking a valid question, T-Mobile US may have pushed HTC into doing this, just like they did to remove Wifi tethering to the G2's supposedly 'Vanilla' version of Android... Do you work for HTC? All we can do is predict trends, nobody knows for sure if the DHD will share the US G2's exact chipset.

Last edited: