can see chromecast not on network?

Search This thread

ajac

Nov 1, 2007
So the weirdest thing happened. Lost power randomly. Power came back on and I detected my neighbors chromecast.. so I changed the name of it lol has anyone else had that happen before? I thought you could only detect ones on your own network? I double checked my network to make sure they werent stealing internet and they are not.

bhiga

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 13, 2010
So the weirdest thing happened. Lost power randomly. Power came back on and I detected my neighbors chromecast.. so I changed the name of it lol has anyone else had that happen before? I thought you could only detect ones on your own network? I double checked my network to make sure they werent stealing internet and they are not.
That just means your neighbor's Chromecast lost connection to their network and went into setup mode (where it is an open Access Point).

If you completed the setup, their Chromecast should have been lost to you unless you set it up on your network, in which case their Chromecast is not only inaccessible to them, but also sitting on your network... not very useful aside from pranking them by playing random videos. Chromecast rickrolling? :eek:

DJames1

Oct 10, 2013
Don't you need to see the access code on the TV screen? Or is that in the SSID that the Chromecast broadcasts? (forgetting now how the setup went)

bhiga

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 13, 2010
Don't you need to see the access code on the TV screen? Or is that in the SSID that the Chromecast broadcasts? (forgetting now how the setup went)
Because of the silly way Chromecast setup works, no, not really.

1. Chromecast goes into Setup mode
  2. Chromecast becomes an open AP, broadcasting an SSID of Chromecastnnnn (where nnnn is some randomly-generated number)
  3. Chromecast outputs to TV "Set me up" along with a 4-character hex code (which seems to be specific to the device, but does not directly correspond to the serial number)

Chromecast setup app
  • Searches for available Chromecasts (open APs named Chromecastnnnn)
  • Once selected, asks "Is this the code you see the screen?" showing the 4-character hex code associated with that Chromecast
  • Queries user for SSID (drop-down generated from visible networks) and passkey if necessary.

Since the setup app shows you the 4-character ID, it's essentially like going to an ATM, sticking a stolen card in, then the ATM says "Hello Joe. Is your PIN 1234?" Press Yes and you're in!

I've never seen it display an incorrect/bogus code so far. Frankly I find it very odd that it operates this way. Maybe it's just wishful thinking but, it feels like it was meant to be something more and they ran out of time.

wptski

Dec 8, 2011
Warren, MI
I had two rooted CC's, two TV's but only had one installed on my main upstairs TV. I decided to throw in the second one in my basement TV yesterday.

It just wouldn't connect to my network. After half dozen tries, I tried the extender for another bunch of tries. Pulled it out and took it to my other TV where I tried a bunch more times with no luck. This might be an issue with a second CC but it worked right away after clearing the data/cache on the CC app. Installed it in the basement TV and it works with no problem so far anyway.

They sure can be a PITA to setup and I know that I'm not alone with my results.