[GUIDE] Aggressive Doze - New experimental feature for Marshmallow (NO ROOT REQUIRED)

Search This thread

cesare78

Apr 15, 2010
I think that only after those earlier 'not optimised' apps are restarted will they get back to 'optimised'. I may be wrong. Are you not able to manually select these apps and choose optimised? If so, you may have to clean flash the ROM.

Yes, i can now manually select not optimised for all apps, but i don't remember in the stock samsung rom wich apps were in the not optimised state, do you use a Samsung stock rom? Can you check and tell me?

Alok Bajaj

Jan 7, 2015
Bangalore
Hello, I've an issue with greenify. I use latest magisk 19.1 for root. For some reasons I'm not able to open magisk app after installing greenify. When I tap on Magisk app it gives me a toast message "Greenify has been granted superuser privilege" something like that and the magisk app just won't open.

Oswald Boelcke

Senior Moderator / Moderator Committee
Staff member
Hello, I've an issue with greenify. I use latest magisk 19.1 for root. For some reasons I'm not able to open magisk app after installing greenify. When I tap on Magisk app it gives me a toast message "Greenify has been granted superuser privilege" something like that and the magisk app just won't open.
And which version of Greenify do you excatly use? Is it Greenify4Magisk?

Oswald Boelcke

Senior Moderator / Moderator Committee
Staff member
I downloaded Greenify 4.5.1 from PlayStore. I also have the donation package installed. I pretty much keep all of my apps updated. So always the latest version available.
I just asked for Greenify4Magisk because it was deprecated about six month ago, and I'd personally not use it anylonger. Maybe it's even not compatible with Magisk v19.1.
And yes, Greenify v4.5.1 is the latest release. However, I joined the Greenify beta programme on Google Play Store quite a while ago and the version I'm currently using is v4.6.3 beta updated on 2019-02-24. You might want to consider to give it a try. Here, running on three devices without any issue.
By the way, and I think you'll find this remark already quite often in the Greenify forum (e.g. here), I think no need to run Greenify at all if on Pie (personally still on Nougat).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190517-140213.png
    Screenshot_20190517-140213.png
    176.5 KB · Views: 185
  • Screenshot_20190517-140220.png
    Screenshot_20190517-140220.png
    139.8 KB · Views: 186
  • Screenshot_20190517-140304.png
    Screenshot_20190517-140304.png
    198.5 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
Reactions: Alok Bajaj

Thatuserguy

Dec 29, 2013
I've recently started messing with this feature, but noticing some general oddities. I've enabled the notification for tracking when Doze is activated to try and investigate, and am seeing some strange results.

For some reason, it was consistently entering Doze after approximately 10 minutes, staying in it for 10 minutes, and then coming back out for another 10 before repeating the cycle. After expirmenting with this, I seem to have gotten rid of the 10 minute wait between dozes by disabling reliable alarms in Tasker, as well as turning off all of my Clock app's alarms.

However, even though there's now no 10 minute wait between the dozes, it's still separating them up into chunks as if it's still briefly exiting Doze before resuming (ex. 8:32 to 8:47, 8:47 to 9:02, 9:02 to 9:17)

Is this normal behavior? And if not, any ideas as to what's going on here? I'm using it without root and will all the ADB permissions granted.

TNSMANI

Senior Moderator / RC-RT Committee
Staff member
Jan 8, 2014
Chennai
OnePlus 9 Pro
I've recently started messing with this feature, but noticing some general oddities. I've enabled the notification for tracking when Doze is activated to try and investigate, and am seeing some strange results.

For some reason, it was consistently entering Doze after approximately 10 minutes, staying in it for 10 minutes, and then coming back out for another 10 before repeating the cycle. After expirmenting with this, I seem to have gotten rid of the 10 minute wait between dozes by disabling reliable alarms in Tasker, as well as turning off all of my Clock app's alarms.

However, even though there's now no 10 minute wait between the dozes, it's still separating them up into chunks as if it's still briefly exiting Doze before resuming (ex. 8:32 to 8:47, 8:47 to 9:02, 9:02 to 9:17)

Is this normal behavior? And if not, any ideas as to what's going on here? I'm using it without root and will all the ADB permissions granted.

Doze is meant to silence the alarms and wakelocks for a time and then allow everything for sometime. It is the intended behaviour. The interval is set by Doze and not Greenify. Greenify merely reports what is happening. If you wait longer you will see the silent time getting longer.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013

Entering 'doze' (there are various modes) does not imply reduced power consumption on modern devices although it has the potential for quieting unwanted behaviors. Similar comments apply to "deep sleep". Attempting to tune doze is largely a fools errand. There are tools that permit tweaking parameters (how exciting!) but the resulting cocktail rarely yield meaningful improvements beyond the dashboard. Enjoy your device as-is unless something rises above the noise of routine housekeeping which Android 7+ does well.

Last edited:

ToXiTe

Jan 17, 2015
With better battery stats for example. But why should it not work?

I only get Doze Interactive Mode logged in BetterBatteryStats which is why I asked. I have never seen any other type of Doze log in BBS.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-07-23-17-15-52-775_com.asksven.betterbatterystats_xdaedition.png
    Screenshot_2019-07-23-17-15-52-775_com.asksven.betterbatterystats_xdaedition.png
    126.5 KB · Views: 243

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
Umm, is there a way to check whether Doze is working?

GSAM Battery Monitor will give you both light idle and deep idle doze stats. Some apps will give you just a general doze stat without making the distinction. When I switched to a Pie rom late last year a few apps were reporting that my phone was entering doze just fine . When I installed GSAM I came to find that my device was only going into light idle doze, but never deep idle doze (actually a common problem on custom Pie roms for my device, as it turns out) . So that's why I prefer an app that makes that distinction.

I now use Greenify's aggressive doze and that forces it to go into deep idle doze, which GSAM bears out.

Reactions: DB126 and ToXiTe

ToXiTe

Jan 17, 2015
GSAM Battery Monitor will give you both light idle and deep idle doze stats. Some apps will give you just a general doze stat without making the distinction. When I switched to a Pie rom late last year a few apps were reporting that my phone was entering doze just fine . When I installed GSAM I came to find that my device was only going into light idle doze, but never deep idle doze (actually a common problem on custom Pie roms for my device, as it turns out) . So that's why I prefer an app that makes that distinction.

I now use Greenify's aggressive doze and that forces it to go into deep idle doze, which GSAM bears out.
I have also noticed problem with deep doze using the app you mentioned. But, in my case Greenify isn't helping. Can you post your output of:
Code:
adb shell dumpsys deviceidle

ToXiTe

Jan 17, 2015
I have also noticed problem with deep doze using the app you mentioned. But, in my case Greenify isn't helping. Can you post your output of:

With Greenify Aggressive Doze enabled...
Thanks. I looked into it. It seems deep doze is broken my ROM. I tried forcing it using ADB and still it wouldn't go into deep doze.

Reactions: Lughnasadh

pete101

Feb 21, 2014
"Aggressive Doze" is one of the new experimental features exclusive for Android 6.0 Marshmallow. The best part is that it works on non-rooted device!

Once enabled in settings, your device will enter Doze Mode in minutes (instead of hours stationary normally) after the screen goes off if not charging, to improve its power-saving efforts.

Doze mode is a new power saving mechanism introduced in Android 6.0. In this mode, background behaviors of all apps (except white-listed ones) are strictly prohibited, until next user interaction or charging. The device will also periodically (in hours) exit doze mode briefly.

This is not the complete solution for a better Doze, currently it still cannot keep your device rest in doze if you are carrying it around. It is expected to maximize the power-saving effect of the stock Doze mode. (UPDATE: This "interruption by motion" behavior can be completely prevented in the newest version 2.9 beta, see FAQ.1 for details) Also it may break some background functionality of your daily apps if they are not developed with Android Doze in mind.

FAQ

When I'm moving around, the Aggressive Doze is not working?

Why is my device very lagging when wake from sleep after a few hours.

Aggressive Doze is not working sometimes, but again working later.

Why I can't find this option in settings? My device is on Android 6.0.

How do i get an app to force stop and not wake up by itself and restart during the night without root?

I have greenified twitter and instagram apps but they keep waking up and restarting.

Is this possible without root?

I can get greenify to force stop it but have no way to stop them restarting by themselves periodically.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    "Aggressive Doze" is one of the new experimental features exclusive for Android 6.0 Marshmallow. The best part is that it works on non-rooted device!

Once enabled in settings, your device will enter Doze Mode in minutes (instead of hours stationary normally) after the screen goes off if not charging, to improve its power-saving efforts.

Doze mode is a new power saving mechanism introduced in Android 6.0. In this mode, background behaviors of all apps (except white-listed ones) are strictly prohibited, until next user interaction or charging. The device will also periodically (in hours) exit doze mode briefly.

This is not the complete solution for a better Doze, currently it still cannot keep your device rest in doze if you are carrying it around. It is expected to maximize the power-saving effect of the stock Doze mode. (UPDATE: This "interruption by motion" behavior can be completely prevented in the newest version 2.9 beta, see FAQ.1 for details) Also it may break some background functionality of your daily apps if they are not developed with Android Doze in mind.

FAQ

When I'm moving around, the Aggressive Doze is not working?

Android system uses a low power "Significant Motion Sensor" to track movement and exits Doze Mode if significant movement is detected. Aggressive Doze will not try to enter Doze after that, to avoid constantly entering and exiting Doze. Since the stock Doze is designed for battery-saving in stationary state, Android still wants to keep your apps in sync with fresh state if you are carrying it around.

In the new version 2.9 beta, this "interruption by motion" behavior can be prevented completely if "DUMP" permission is granted manually via USB-connected computer.

Why is my device very lagging when wake from sleep after a few hours.

This seems like a bad consequence of Android Doze Mode itself if too many apps are installed. Because Doze Mode effectively postpone all the background behaviors during the doze. The longer doze lasts, the more tasks to do when exiting. Consider greenifying more background-itchy apps to reduce the lag, because hibernation is still the essential solution for them.

Aggressive Doze is not working sometimes, but again working later.

Check whether there's a alarm clock in less than an hour, by looking for an alarm icon in the status bar. But the icon won't tell you the time of the alarm. You may click the DND tile in the quick launch panel to find out the actual time of the alarm (in the entry with "until next alarm"). This is because Android system refuses to enter doze mode if an scheduled alarm is in less than an hour.

Why I can't find this option in settings? My device is on Android 6.0.

Aggressive Doze in Greenify v2.8 should work on all devices with Android 6+, unless the Doze Mode is explicitly disabled by the ROM. If you are using a custom ROM made by community, ask the
    ROM modder to enable this flag in the ROM:
    Code:
    com.android.internal.R.bool.config_enableAutoPowerModes
    UPDATE: Since 2.9 beta 1, even if doze is disabled in ROM, Greenify can still activate doze mode after DUMP permission is granted manually via USB-connected computer. Beware, this may break things since the ROM is not made to be compatible with Doze.
    I just managed to completely disabled the significant motion sensor during doze on my Nexus 5X, without root.
    Still there's a minor side effect I'm working on to eliminate. I'll update a new beta version when it's ready.
    2.9 beta 1 is pushed to beta channel with improved Aggressive Doze:

* Prevent Aggressive Doze from being interrupted by significant motion. (only tested on Nexus 5X, not sure whether it works on other devices)
    * Activate Aggressive Doze even if doze is disabled in ROM. (may break things since the ROM is not made to be compatible with Doze).

Both require DUMP permission to work. That means you need either root or manual granting DUMP permission (for non-root).
    Hello,

First of all, i'm happy with the donation version!

With this new feature there's a thing I've noticed right away. Apparently doze works with all the apps, including whatsapp, which is the app i use the most.

When doze it's activated messages arrive in intervals and it's not that reliable. Anyways, when doze activates by itself, i'm ok with the messages getting delayed, because i'm actually not using the phone. The thing with the integration through greenify, is that messages stop arriving right away.

Do you think there could be a way to kind of "bypass" certain applications? If it's possible it would work like stamina mode from Sony.

Anyways, it's just a comment... I like the instant doze since doze really helps with battery!

If WhatsApp uses GCM for instant message push, then maybe the developer has not yet adopted for the priority GCM push which goes through in the Doze mode. This is what Google suggests all IM message to use.
    I'll try to work around this issue, maybe allow all GCM push to exit doze mode for a while.
    He is talking about AD in general and wants the doze-periods manually adjustable ...

Doze mode have many adjustable parameters, which could be overwhelming for most users. If you use Doze Editor or similar tool, you should understand that.
    Tools should relief not increase the complication in the digital life. That's the spirit of Greenify - "forget and enjoy". Leave the complication of suitable solution to the developers behind.