[Q] SK4G not being recognized on PC

Search This thread

Opt1kal

Jan 24, 2011
I originally posted this inside the Glorious Overdose V2 thread, but decided to post here as well.

For some reason my computer won't recognize my Sidekick when I plug it in via usb. I do have the samsung drivers installed and it will read my friends Samsung Droid Charge just fine, but when I plug my Sidekick in it comes up saying "USB Device Not Recognized". So far I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers from the device manager to no avail. Wondering if anyone has an idea as to what it could be. I've also tried googling the solution and everyone says to just uninstall and reinstall the drivers and it should work. Now the phone is not plugged into a USB Hub, extender, or case, it is plugged directly into a usb port on the mother board.

PC Specs just in case:
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-970A-D3
OS - Windows 7 Ultimate x64
CPU - AMD FX-4100
Memory - 8GB DDR3 1066

Phone:
T-Mobile Sidekick 4G running Glorious Overdose V2
Nothing added just the rom and some apps/games.
I have tried with USB Debugging on and off, either way does not work.

Update: I have since tried Kies mini, as well as the drivers found on Softpedia. Neither of those worked, so I just got done reformatting and reinstalling Windows hoping that would work. At first it did not, right now I am running windows update to see if that was the issue, I'll update of what the outcome is.

Update: After installing all available Windows updates it's still not recognizing the phone. Now no matter what it's saying it's an Unknown Device. Even after I try and do a manual driver update and tell it to look in the folder with the driver files from Softpedia. I'm at a complete loss now.

If anyone has any idea's please let me know.

Last edited:

Opt1kal

Jan 24, 2011
What mode do you have the phone in? Settings->Applications->USB Settings. It should be in Mass Storage if you want to access its SD Card.

It's set to USB Debugging. But even then, it should read as something else other then Unknown Device when I plug it in. I have tried plugging it in and selecting Mass Storage, still comes up as Unknown Device.

Maybe put another rom on the sd card and flash something else, I don't think it would be a rom issue but it would be worth a try?

Sent from my SGH-T839 using XDA

I've thought about that, and from everything I can see it's either the ROM or the drivers. So we'll see...I'll probably try a different ROM and see what happens.

Jax184

Nov 22, 2007
Vancouver
www.jax184.com
I suggest turning USB debugging off and mass storage on, for how you'll be using it. And recall that you have to change this stuff with the USB cable unplugged.

Opt1kal

Jan 24, 2011
I've tried that, and after talking with the T2 Technical Support from Samsung for 45min today, the only option left is to send the phone in to get worked on. Though, I'm going into the T-Mobile store and see if they can't replace the phone or give me a loner while this one is out getting repaired.

DuctTapedGoat

Apr 14, 2012
Samsung SideKick 4G Drivers

www DOT filedropper DOT com FWSLASH sk4gx64drivers

This is the exact drivers I pulled off of my own machine, I ran into massive issues with those same driver packages, especially in getting the initial root to take with a few different utilities designed to grant sudo/su/root access, and these are the drivers I have running currently, just pulled off my own machine. I run Windows 7 x64, but as well, there should be no reason why these drivers wouldn't work on a x86 machine and/or OS.

NOTE : I apologize it's not a proper link, but I'm unable to post a raw link until I hit my 8th post. I will come back and fix this after I hit that 8th post, but until then it will be ghetto-bypass HTML.

Last edited:

Opt1kal

Jan 24, 2011
www DOT filedropper DOT com FWSLASH sk4gx64drivers

This is the exact drivers I pulled off of my own machine, I ran into massive issues with those same driver packages, especially in getting the initial root to take with a few different utilities designed to grant sudo/su/root access, and these are the drivers I have running currently, just pulled off my own machine. I run Windows 7 x64, but as well, there should be no reason why these drivers wouldn't work on a x86 machine and/or OS.

NOTE : I apologize it's not a proper link, but I'm unable to post a raw link until I hit my 8th post. I will come back and fix this after I hit that 8th post, but until then it will be ghetto-bypass HTML.

Thank you, I tried unpacking them to a folder on C:\ went into Device Manager, right clicked on the Unknown Device, Update Driver Software..., Browse My Computer for Driver Software, Set the search to C:\, and still saying Unknown Device is the best driver software for it. No idea why it's doing this.

DuctTapedGoat

Apr 14, 2012
Proper Driver Update

What is going on is that Windows is seeing a more recent signature file attached to the SK4G drivers on your computer (I don't believe anything at all is wrong with your device) than the working ones there.

First, in Add/Remove Programs, uninstall the Samsung Kies and Samsung Driver pack you installed earlier. Now...

Go into on your PC:

://windows/system32

And locate the same file names, cut them all, and paste them in a temporary folder you create, preferably on the desktop or something similar. You may not find every file, and that's okay, just the ones you can find. Next, you will be wanting to paste the driver files from the package I uploaded. Now, turn off Automatic Updates, so it doesn't automatically install drivers upon connection. Reboot the computer, double check and make sure Automatic Upates are off when you log back on. Now, connect the device and see if it gives you the same results. By removing the old drivers which don't work, you'll be able to force it to the ones we know work, and you /should/ have success. As well - USB data debugging active and activating connection for data transfer via the notification pulldown menu would be the best way to do this initially.

Reactions: Opt1kal

Opt1kal

Jan 24, 2011
Would I be looking in c:\windows\system32\drivers for the same file names as the ones you packed up?

Opt1kal

Jan 24, 2011
Ok, so the only one I could find in the drivers folder was modem.sys. But it will not let me move/replace the one that's already in there. It's telling me access is denied, same thing when I try and set the permissions it will not let me. I am logged in as an Administrator, as well it says it when I log in as THE Administrator account. So yeah...

DuctTapedGoat

Apr 14, 2012
Cool - modem.sys is a stock one that is shared with the device, so that's fine.

With the other two programs uninstalled, the old drivers uninstalled, and forcing it into those by pasting them into //win/sys32/drivers you should be in business. Hmm. You can try UnlockRoot.com's device rooter - I know they have an auto driver detector in their program. As well, you can try SuperOneClick, but I don't remember if they do or no. What about going in from the Recovery menu and toggling USB? Anything wierd going on in the /mounts? What about ADB shell access from the Android SDK on Windows?

Reactions: Opt1kal

Opt1kal

Jan 24, 2011

With the other two programs uninstalled, the old drivers uninstalled, and forcing it into those by pasting them into //win/sys32/drivers you should be in business. Hmm. You can try UnlockRoot.com's device rooter - I know they have an auto driver detector in their program. As well, you can try SuperOneClick, but I don't remember if they do or no. What about going in from the Recovery menu and toggling USB? Anything wierd going on in the /mounts? What about ADB shell access from the Android SDK on Windows?

I tried plugging the phone in, still showing up as Unknown Device. Tried UnlockRoot.com's program, no change. Installing the Android SDK right now, as well as I tried deleting the INFCACHE.1 file, and no change with that either. Once I'm done installing the Android SDK I'll redelete the INFCACHE.1 file and restart and try the phone again.

I did go in and check the mounts in recovery and they were set to:
UNMOUNT CACHE
MOUNT DATA
UNMOUNT SDCARD
UNMOUNT SYSTEM

Thank you for your help so far.

UPDATE: So after installing the Android SDK, deleting the INFCACHE.1 file, restarting, and then plugging the phone in, comes up and says the USB Device is Not Recognized. Then goes to search the preconfigured driver folders, and fails to install the driver for Unknown Device. And ADB Devices shows no devices as well(didn't think it would, but yeah).

UPDATE: So after using my friends phone as a conduit to throw the Stock Odexed KJ2 w/ Root(http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1328698) onto my SDCard and flashing that the phone seemed to go into a soft brick at pre-boot screen(where it says SAMSUNG T-Mobile blah blah blah). Mind you this would freeze before it was even able to get into recovery. So I took it into T-Mobile and they are doing a manufacturer warranty replacement. So hopefully this next phone will be able to connect to the computer and be read correctly.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Proper Driver Update

What is going on is that Windows is seeing a more recent signature file attached to the SK4G drivers on your computer (I don't believe anything at all is wrong with your device) than the working ones there.

First, in Add/Remove Programs, uninstall the Samsung Kies and Samsung Driver pack you installed earlier. Now...

Go into on your PC:

://windows/system32

And locate the same file names, cut them all, and paste them in a temporary folder you create, preferably on the desktop or something similar. You may not find every file, and that's okay, just the ones you can find. Next, you will be wanting to paste the driver files from the package I uploaded. Now, turn off Automatic Updates, so it doesn't automatically install drivers upon connection. Reboot the computer, double check and make sure Automatic Upates are off when you log back on. Now, connect the device and see if it gives you the same results. By removing the old drivers which don't work, you'll be able to force it to the ones we know work, and you /should/ have success. As well - USB data debugging active and activating connection for data transfer via the notification pulldown menu would be the best way to do this initially.