How to: side load Google Play Music

Search This thread

professorpoptart

Jul 7, 2010
This is a consolidated step by step for getting Google Play Music side loaded on the OUYA.

After the 5/21/2013 system update I had to redo the su install, as it wipes the system.

The first step is to install su and busybox.... Or to setup your computer for adb...
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2270589

To get google play music you need the 3 files listed below, I pulled the login and framework apks out of a 4.1.2 gapps zip.
http://goo.im/gapps/gapps-jb-20121011-signed.zip
the files are in /system/app

The music apk can be found here... or do a quick google...
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1350164

1) com.google.android.music-1.apk
2) googleloginservice.apk
3) googleservicesframework.apk

Put the files in the same folder as adb.exe you used in the su busy box install.

How to:
0. Connect to the device. if you followed the first link about su you should have wireless adb.
adb connect 192.168.xxx.xxx

1. Push the files over to the sdcard.
adb push GoogleLoginService.apk /sdcard/.
adb push GoogleServicesFramework.apk /sdcard/.
adb push com.google.android.music-1.apk /sdcard/.

2. Open a super user shell.
adb shell
su

3. Copy the files over to the system/app directory
cat /sdcard/GoogleLoginService.apk > /system/app/GoogleLoginService.apk
cat /sdcard/GoogleServicesFramework.apk > /system/app/GoogleServicesFramework.apk
cat /sdcard/com.google.android.music-1.apk > /system/app/com.google.android.music-1.apk

4. Set permissions on the system/apps files.
chmod 644 /system/app/GoogleLoginService.apk
chmod 644 /system/app/GoogleServicesFramework.apk
chmod 644 /system/app/com.google.android.music-1.apk

5. Exit and reboot.
exit
exit
adb reboot

6. When you launch the music app it will ask you to login to your google account.

7.Enjoy!

*remember any future updates will most likely remove any changes you made to system.
** I ran this on the 328 ota and got a few googleframework FC's when signing into google, I just closed out of them and its ran fine since.

*edit - typos, thanks zdraw
**edit - efficiency/least privilege permissions

Last edited:

zdraw

May 21, 2013
Worked for me but you have a few typos. There's no location after "adb push com.google.android.music-1.apk". You switched from GoogleLoginService to Services (not a big deal). In section 4, it should be app instead of apps. If your intent was to trip up copy-pasters you succeeded :D

professorpoptart

Jul 7, 2010
Worked for me but you have a few typos. There's no location after "adb push com.google.android.music-1.apk". You switched from GoogleLoginService to Services (not a big deal). In section 4, it should be app instead of apps. If your intent was to trip up copy-pasters you succeeded :D

That's what I get for re-typing rather then copy-pasting! lol

MadDucks

Feb 16, 2010
So I get about a few seconds into a song, and my Ouya just turns itself off... Thoughts? Logs I can look at?

professorpoptart

Jul 7, 2010
Theres 2 ways we can do logcat, $ or #

First try a user logcat:
Adb shell
Logcat > /sdcard/log.txt
Then get the music app to crash
then stop the logcat (close terminal or cmd window...)
then take a look at the file for clues! ... or post it here for help.

For a root logcat do the same thing but type su once in shell... a ton more info is there if we cant find anything in the user logcat.

Thought though. .. are you on wifi or hard line? Put a bandwidth speed test app on the ouya and see what your speeds look like.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

APriestOfGix

Jul 27, 2012
My problem is selecting the log in option does not bring up a log in window. I got this loaded on no problem (using the .apk via drop box), and can get it to open, but not log in. Any idea's?

faxanidu

Jan 30, 2011
Sad :(. didnt work.

"Cant establish a reliable data connection to the server"
EDIT: Doesnt like wifi chip :p How odd.
pastebin.com/6EP5R5up

---------- Post added at 02:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:58 PM ----------

My problem is selecting the log in option does not bring up a log in window. I got this loaded on no problem (using the .apk via drop box), and can get it to open, but not log in. Any idea's?

press the middle "U" button on your controller.
Setting > Google account

your welcome lol.

Off topic:
also this new account crap is annoying, trying to contribute to ouya modding since ive been working with android FOR YEARS, and someone sent me here, but i cant post till 5 min, cant post in dev section AT ALL. its annoying.

Last edited:

coleshill121

Jul 5, 2008
London
My Ouya arrived yesterday, this is exactly the sort of thing I was hoping to see on xda! I'll check this out now. Would it help if we flashed the zip from CWM rather than pushing the individual apks?

Thanks a lot for your work!

gianptune

Oct 10, 2010
chmod 6755 /system/app/GoogleLoginService.apk
chmod 6755 /system/app/GoogleServicesFramework.apk
chmod 6755 /system/app/com.google.android.music-1.apk

Why on earth would you chmod these to 6755? you do know what the 6 stands for, dont you? My guess is you probably dont. How about the 755? No? Apks are zip files. They do not get executed. You probably want to chmod them to 644.

professorpoptart

Jul 7, 2010
Why on earth would you chmod these to 6755? you do know what the 6 stands for, dont you? My guess is you probably dont. How about the 755? No? Apks are zip files. They do not get executed. You probably want to chmod them to 644.

And why the hell is the whole file name typed after the push when the name is exactly the same! what a waste of typing. We're dealing with a real noob here! lol

faxanidu

Jan 30, 2011
My Ouya arrived yesterday, this is exactly the sort of thing I was hoping to see on xda! I'll check this out now. Would it help if we flashed the zip from CWM rather than pushing the individual apks?

Thanks a lot for your work!

If i can find a way to log into my google account i can make a flashable zip and probably get the play store working too :/

rjbell4

Sep 11, 2012
No Google account?

I following the directions, which look like they've been edited with the feedback provided already. I used the two APKs from the link provided, and the Google Play Music APK from the link provided, too. The latter had a different filename, but I renamed it, just in case.

I can launch Google Play Music fine, but all I get is a simple menu. There are no prompts to log in, and frankly not much to do. If I pull up my Android settings, I see an Ouya account listed, but not a Google one (nor a prompt to add one). If I pull up apps and go to "All", I have "Google Play Music" and "Google Account Manager" and "Google Framework Services".

Any ideas what I should try next?

faxanidu

Jan 30, 2011
I following the directions, which look like they've been edited with the feedback provided already. I used the two APKs from the link provided, and the Google Play Music APK from the link provided, too. The latter had a different filename, but I renamed it, just in case.

I can launch Google Play Music fine, but all I get is a simple menu. There are no prompts to log in, and frankly not much to do. If I pull up my Android settings, I see an Ouya account listed, but not a Google one (nor a prompt to add one). If I pull up apps and go to "All", I have "Google Play Music" and "Google Account Manager" and "Google Framework Services".

You did hit the "U" button in google music and went to settings > google account right?

Reactions: rjbell4

rjbell4

Sep 11, 2012
You did hit the "U" button in google music and went to settings > google account right?

Um, er, ...

Well, I thought I did. To be fair, this is brand new, and there are a couple of "U" buttons. I guess I hit the U-in-OUYA button once, and had only double-tapped the special-light-up-U button. Single-tapping that button pulls up settings, and I can connect, and now I'm listening to Google Play Music All-Access though my TV.

Pretty awesome... thanks, everyone.

faxanidu

Jan 30, 2011
Um, er, ...

Well, I thought I did. To be fair, this is brand new, and there are a couple of "U" buttons. I guess I hit the U-in-OUYA button once, and had only double-tapped the special-light-up-U button. Single-tapping that button pulls up settings, and I can connect, and now I'm listening to Google Play Music All-Access though my TV.

Pretty awesome... thanks, everyone.

LOL. no problem man it happens took me like 2 days to figure out you can do that for almost all aps as the menu button on your phone. But now im still trying to figure out why i cant login to google. you using wifi or LAN???

rjbell4

Sep 11, 2012
LOL. no problem man it happens took me like 2 days to figure out you can do that for almost all aps as the menu button on your phone. But now im still trying to figure out why i cant login to google. you using wifi or LAN???

I started with WiFi, and before I tried and got it to work, I plugged in an Ethernet cable. My Ouya currently has two IP addresses, one for each interface. I presume that means that it would actively use the LAN interface, but I'm not certain.

faxanidu

Jan 30, 2011
I started with WiFi, and before I tried and got it to work, I plugged in an Ethernet cable. My Ouya currently has two IP addresses, one for each interface. I presume that means that it would actively use the LAN interface, but I'm not certain.

hmmmm probably gonna have to go to a friends house since the roommate has a wifi router with no lan ports. Everytime i try to log in via wifi logcat says "failed to interface wlan0" -.-

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a consolidated step by step for getting Google Play Music side loaded on the OUYA.

After the 5/21/2013 system update I had to redo the su install, as it wipes the system.

The first step is to install su and busybox.... Or to setup your computer for adb...
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2270589

To get google play music you need the 3 files listed below, I pulled the login and framework apks out of a 4.1.2 gapps zip.
    http://goo.im/gapps/gapps-jb-20121011-signed.zip
    the files are in /system/app

The music apk can be found here... or do a quick google...
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1350164

1) com.google.android.music-1.apk
    2) googleloginservice.apk
    3) googleservicesframework.apk

Put the files in the same folder as adb.exe you used in the su busy box install.

How to:
    0. Connect to the device. if you followed the first link about su you should have wireless adb.
    adb connect 192.168.xxx.xxx

1. Push the files over to the sdcard.
    adb push GoogleLoginService.apk /sdcard/.
    adb push GoogleServicesFramework.apk /sdcard/.
    adb push com.google.android.music-1.apk /sdcard/.

2. Open a super user shell.
    adb shell
    su

3. Copy the files over to the system/app directory
    cat /sdcard/GoogleLoginService.apk > /system/app/GoogleLoginService.apk
    cat /sdcard/GoogleServicesFramework.apk > /system/app/GoogleServicesFramework.apk
    cat /sdcard/com.google.android.music-1.apk > /system/app/com.google.android.music-1.apk

chmod 644 /system/app/GoogleLoginService.apk
    chmod 644 /system/app/GoogleServicesFramework.apk
    chmod 644 /system/app/com.google.android.music-1.apk

5. Exit and reboot.
    exit
    exit
    adb reboot

6. When you launch the music app it will ask you to login to your google account.

7.Enjoy!

*remember any future updates will most likely remove any changes you made to system.
    ** I ran this on the 328 ota and got a few googleframework FC's when signing into google, I just closed out of them and its ran fine since.

*edit - typos, thanks zdraw
    **edit - efficiency/least privilege permissions