[Discussion] What's your next smartphone / What should I buy

Search This thread

adarshm4you

Sep 23, 2017
Hi,

I'm looking to replace my LG G3 but can't decide which device is worth it... Budget is around 400$ CAD.

Right now I'm looking at:
- Samsung Galaxy A5 (2017)
- Motorola Moto Z (XT1650)
- Asus Zenfone 3 Zoom
- Huawei Honor 8 (Refurb.)
- Xiaomi MI A1 Global

Which one should I get ? Any other I should consider ?

I appreciate any input from you guys...

Thanks!
Choose a1 or moto z.A1 is pure stock.But using it with custom os makes it powerful.

panostheodorakis7

May 28, 2015
Hi everyone !
So for a full year i have been using as a device an Iphone 5s after the fiasco of the LG g4 (fried mobo) that i had (God I loved that phone) and i as my nameday is coming soon i was thinking about selling it add a little money and buy an Android again ! The thing is that i dont want to go for a very expensive device because i will not have so much money and further more i kinda like to change my phones after 1-2 years so no flagships for me ....In adition i really like to root my phones flash xposed and do a bunch of stuff with my device so I m looking for something friendly to root and tweaking at low budget also as i am coming from an iphone i really want something with:
good camera front and back (as a reference better than redmi note 4 that i have tested and for me sucks :angel: ).
fingerprint.
5 or 5 plus inches.
fast charge(if it has big battery i dont mind no to ).
micro sd .
3+ GB ram (i really cant tell for futureproof porpuse if 3 or 4 are required).
32+ GB device storage(I will add onether 32GB because i like to have back ups and apks for my mus-have apps).
1920x1080 (After the g4 that i had and saw that the 2k screen destroy my battery i really believe that i should just stay full HD.If now is out there a device that it can manage a day plus with 2k screen then plz refer it to me ).
big battery (3000+mah i believe that 3000mah is must as i have constantly data and gps on all day).
decent towards good audio speaker and at least good call speaker.
support of android 7 and 8(even if it is announced that it will update soon to oreo).
And LAST but NOT LEAST active XDA community with a good amount of stuff the device such as giudes ,modded apps,Q&A post etc.

My budget its around 250 euros (yes I live in Greece and we are part of europe ) but the price is flexible for 30 euros or so if the device is wothing it .
I did took a quick look but the only thing i found was the P10 Lite and Honor 6x.

Thank you in advance for your time and I m waiting for your responses also answears with personal hands on experiences of the device will be prefered !

andersjohansson81

Sep 19, 2012
Hi
Im looking for a tablet for an elderly person, so it needs to be large screen and also in the middle price range. What brand/models is best supported in the future in terms of custom roms etc ?

hello everyone I started another thread about new phones then someone told me to ask here instead. ty!
Just for posterity, the following quote is from that thread to help encourage some member recommendations for you.

I've always wondered how much a battery degrades by after a few months or year on the $500+ non removable battery phones. when people say good things about their battery life is it right after they bought it instead of owning it for a while? I'm currently using a note 4 and I've tried 7-10k mah extended batteries but they go bad after a few months. might be unlucky compared to other customers but I've seen a few with similar issues saying they'll drain faster than the stock battery eventually overtime and not just a 10-20% decrease. that makes it hard to believe the numbers listed next to mah nowadays. how do note 8's, pixels, iphones etc. have great battery life when their mah number is nothing special? is it because of the newer chipsets having less power consumption? or things that aren't explained being better optimized? they're able to have higher brightness, resolution, smooth performance, faster charge, slim design, many features and more things I'm probably forgetting all on at the same time and still be better than the older phones without much tweaking or root. would be great if someone could explain to a noob like me. thx!
I hope someone can help this member out with one or more recommendations.

Thank you very much!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I DO NOT PROVIDE SUPPORT VIA PM UNLESS ASKED/REQUESTED BY MYSELF.
PLEASE KEEP IT IN THE THREADS WHERE EVERYONE CAN SHARE

Reactions: anon1135

teresamaria78

Nov 30, 2017
Kent
I currently have a Samsung Galaxy S7 on Android N. I got this exactly a year ago.. However I now have my geeky little heart on the Samsung Galaxy Note 8 now that baby is what I want santa [emoji318] to bring me this year!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

After a bad year with phones it's time for a new one... My nexus 4 black screened and never came back alive, Then my 5x boot looped. I then sold my nexus 6 and purchased a 6p which has recently boot looped :(

I'm looking to buy a phone new or second hand but I really don't want to pay big any more so I'm setting myself a budget of ~£150~ give or take.

What is the verdict on HTC phones currently? I like the look of the A9 but there are some cracking less known phones in the market currently by elephone and xiaomi ...

Anyway, What would you do for that money? Give or take a few pounds :D

pr@x

Feb 11, 2012
Looking for next phone. Present short list -> mi max 2 / mi a1 /lenovo p2 /mi 5s/5s plus(if price drops) Any thoughts or better options on similar budget ?

Looking for next phone. Present short list -> mi max 2 / mi a1 /lenovo p2 /mi 5s/5s plus(if price drops) Any thoughts or better options on similar budget ?
I've got the mi a1 mate and there are lots of software bugs that will hopefully get fixed aldo the camera isn't as good as they make out but that too could be fixed with an update

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: polya95

byproxy

Apr 29, 2010
The inlaws are looking to get their first smartphone (they're currently still using flip phones!).

They want something they can get pics of and vid chat with the grandkids.

Despite my advice that they get the best phone they can afford now since they likely wouldn't be upgrading for quite some time, they insist on getting the cheapest possible option that will do what they want.

That said, while I'm on VZW myself, I don't really keep up at all with the lower end phones... I have no idea what phone(s) in this spectrum would be the best for them.

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to the best free/super cheap VZW phone for them? I want them to stick with Android (rather than apple) since that's what I know and can therefore best help them if/when issues arise.

dwh2o13

Apr 9, 2013
The inlaws are looking to get their first smartphone (they're currently still using flip phones!).

They want something they can get pics of and vid chat with the grandkids.

Despite my advice that they get the best phone they can afford now since they likely wouldn't be upgrading for quite some time, they insist on getting the cheapest possible option that will do what they want.

That said, while I'm on VZW myself, I don't really keep up at all with the lower end phones... I have no idea what phone(s) in this spectrum would be the best for them.

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to the best free/super cheap VZW phone for them? I want them to stick with Android (rather than apple) since that's what I know and can therefore best help them if/when issues arise.

You might check out the MOTO E4 or the MOTO E4 plus for a little more if possible. Take a look at the video by @glockman4519 I've linked below. I give him credit for this find. I've been following him for some time now and very much respect his reviews and insight. If he says it's a good purchase for the price, then it most likely is. I will be looking into it myself :).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUGfQ7MckIc

Reactions: glockman4519

glockman4519

Jun 5, 2013
Central Pa
plus.google.com
You might check out the MOTO E4 or the MOTO E4 plus for a little more if possible. Take a look at the video by @glockman4519 I've linked below. I give him credit for this find. I've been following him for some time now and very much respect his reviews and insight. If he says it's a good purchase for the price, then it most likely is. I will be looking into it myself :).

I have been using this device now for some time and just got the Moto e4+ yesterday and did a video on that device too. The reason I feel these devices are so good are that they are "splash resistant", take an SD card of up to 128GB, have 720p screens, which still look brilliant, sip battery, have a flash for both the front and rear camera and are known to be strong built devices.
They both come with Android 7.1.1 and will get Oreo as Motorola devices usually keep up with updates almost as fast and in some cases faster than Google devices.
The E4 is the smaller of the 2 and if purchased at Walmart it Amazon can be had for under $50.00, usually well under that price. It has the removable battery and a 5 inch 720p screen. It also has a front facing speaker along with the lower speaker and video audio playback is quite good.
The E4 plus comes with the 5.5 inch 720p screen and also has the same speaker set up and is also pretty loud. It has the 5000 milliamp battery and that thing lasts a long time. It has everything the E4 has plus the bigger battery, larger screen and a little better main camera.
They will both take video up to 1080p (no 4k) and both have that front and rear flash.

Thank you for the kind words and for following my videos. They are long and mostly unedited but the reason they are long is because I like to be thorough.I would recommend both devices for anyone looking for a quality device that are in a budget.
Here is the video on the E4 plus, I also show the difference between the 2 devices in this video.

Reactions: dwh2o13

Ksawerion

Dec 6, 2017
Principal I can suppose Ulefone T1, I have a software bug with GPS but hardware is okay, maybe only I have this bug, but the rest of the phone is really nice

Norman666

Dec 12, 2017
looking for nice note 4 replacement

six months or so ago I got a note 5 to replace a note 4.

I recently dropped that in the toilet (literally) so I'm looking to replace it with something water resistant at least... and easy to mod to my black heart's content. Both of these were verizon-specific models... clearly a mistake I will avoid this time.

I found there was a root for the verizon note 4 model a couple days before I ...ya. got it wet. (at least not the crapper that time...)
I'd really really like to get some suggestions for a replacement... I'm qite happy getting a used phone and will do that this time as well.

I got the note 5 and was disappointed (well... pissed of, mostly at myself) to find it no longer had a replaceable battery and no SD card slot for my 100GB of music/video etc.... so really this is a replacement of my note 4. If that had modern chips and was water-proof, I'd get another N4.

Needs- relatively rugged - I drop phones ALL the time ... water proof/resistant... rootable (I will never buy a verizon-specific phone again), good media performance (I use my phone as a media streamer... dont care about speakers) ... plenty of memory or SD slot... superior touch screen... no bigger than note5

Really want - better than average photo, in low light esp.,... stylus or equivalent functionality using found objects/fingers just for notes, lists, and the like... replaceable battery (not necessarily easily/user replaced w openable back cover, just reasonable for some corner store tech dude or me to replace it- I have replaced them in other phones)

I saw the Essential for sale used at ~$400... which sounds awesome for such a new-ish device. But I don't think it is water-resistant.

The superior touchscreen is a must- I occasionally use the wifes iThing and it is far more accurate than either note I owned... both sometimes would not detect input unless I tried hard.

Thanks in advance...
and thanks to you xda-dev folks who do so very much for so many like me.

Last edited:

IOmega666

Apr 26, 2009
What's up guys? So, I wanna change my phone but I really do want something that provides me of good audio recording while shooting video in concerts. As of right now I own a Huawei Mate 9 and I love it! Fantastic battery life, display is really good being 1080 and LCD. Performance is great, camera is fairly decent but the audio in videos while recording on a small environment and white brutally loud sound, it's awful.

I'm gonna leave here a video recorded white a Lumia 1520 and if I have one of the Mate 9 I will too, cause I think I have one in the same venue and same loud sound of the band.

https://youtu.be/pfzzR8C4nHE

So, what can I buy? When I say it's loud it's so darn loud. The Mate 9 sound of the recording is awfully distorted.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Before you buy an used phone, check it with this app:

See how many charging cycles it has.
    500+ and you know the battery is on way down.
    Any hint how I can obtain physical access to a device that I don't own yet in order to install this certainly great app for the suggested check?
    G53 is a low end phone - G42 is a better choice.
    Amoled, FHD, better SoC etc

Xperia 10 III is as good as G42, with more RAM, but an older phone and cost more:
    Before you buy an used phone, check it with this app:

See how many charging cycles it has.
    500+ and you know the battery is on way down.
    Thanks. Won't work on my phone as it's for Android 14, but am looking for another app to check number of cycles.

Its a bit older phone, but still nice.
    Bit smaller screen size, smaller battery, less RAM, but a better camera, OTG support, and should get Android 14 too.

If the price is right, lower than G84, and you like the phone, go for it.

If the price is the same, and the camera is not in your focus, then get the G84 because it has an amasing battery life, microSD expansion is very nice too.
    Modern day lower midrangers offer the luxury of 6gb ram, faster processors and are an exciting segment to look.

Here are few truly valuable midrangers, suiting our preferences: (premium camera, 4k video rec & microsd support)
    • Realme 12 plus - mar 24 _ 50p,8w,2m​

Realme, well known for its camera 1st approach and has recently released a bombshell right there.
    • Samsung F54 5g - July 23_ 64p,2w,8m​

A popular midranger over the past few months that ticks all boxes and even chosen as best midranger by many websites.
    • Oppo F25 Pro - Feb 24 _32p,2w,8m​

Very high bang for the buck right here and Camera has been a big flex of this phone.
    • Oppo Reno 11 -jan 24 _50p,8w,32t​

This phone is highly rated for its slowmo video especially and comes with a flagship telephoto lens as well. All this comes at a higher price making it a higher mid Ranger.

The moto G54 and G84 are the other big guns in the category but don't support 4k video and dont have macro lens.

(P - primary lens, W- wide angle, M - Macro, T - telephoto)
    Thank you so much for the elaborate response, after 5 days of intense research, I wasn't happy enough with the offers at the 300-400 range, not enough to call the shot, so I ended up lowering the budget to avoid disappointment, and got a poco x6 for 277 euros, is alright, I feel like if I had forked out more for a redmi note 12 pro plus or note 13 pro plus, I would feel disappointed...
    mines is either galaxy s3 or galaxy note for t-mobile

Sent from my SGH-T989 using XDA Premium App
    For sure Samsung Galaxy S3

Gesendet von meinem GT-N7000 mit Tapatalk
    Asus Padfone for me!
    Not sure yet, but seeing as my HTC has had its life dramatically extended by HTC unlocking bootloader for thier devices and so making it much easier to root and mod I am finding it difficult to find a complelling reason to move from HTC
    Probably the Galaxy S3. Hopefully we'll see an updated Note later in the year.