[APP] GooManager Beta official thread

Search This thread

thereals0up

Retired Recognized Developer
Apr 17, 2012
The official app of Goo.im

We have spent a lot of time getting the server side changes in place to automatically parse our developer's rom files to grab data to make a functional OTA update system without the need for editing manifest files, or other tedious tasks. This is our attempt at creating a way for Android developers to simply publish material, and distribute it to the masses without any hassle.

This app is and will always be FREE!

General Features:

• Ability to browse and search all of the files we have on our site, and download directly to your mobile device.
  • Receive OTA style updates from your favorite rom developers that we have hosted here.
  • CyanogenMod nightly build update support
  • Incremental (differential) rom updates for sequential builds
  • Flashing roms & installing recoveries
  • Update gApps packages

If you would like to sideload the app on your phone and avoid the market, we distribute the APK by itself, and also as a prebuilt repo maintained by solarnz(github.com/solarnz)

Are you a rom developer wanting to publish your work with our updating system?

To get your rom compatible with our updating system, you should make the appropriate changes to your build.props. For more information on this system, see the link below (sorry it's not clickable but i need 8 posts!)

goo.im/howto-rom-updating-via-our-app (For developers who are curious about how to modify their build prop file for compatibility with GooManager)

GooManager download page (To download the actual app)

KNOWN ISSUES:
  • DownloadManager API is buggy on Gingerbread
  • Installing OpenRecoveryScript on devices that do not support flash_image and do not have a /cache/recovery/command supported recovery will fail

FEATURE REQUESTS
Feel free to post them in this thread, but as my time is limited and Goo.im/GooManager's code is just something I do in my free time, there are simply not enough hours in the day to address them all :(

SHOUT OUTS
  • Chris Solarnz (For his java advice and contributions)
  • Mike Wielgosz (For contributing to the rom reordering and listing code)
  • Dees_Troy for all of his amazing work on OpenRecoveryScript and TWRP
  • eyeballer (For countless nights of helping test stuff, and awesome suggestions)
  • Shift (For the market icon)
  • Drmacinyasha (For all the testing / anal retentive bug reporting)
  • toastcfh (For helping bounce lots of ideas around)
  • EVERYONE ELSE I PROBABLY LEFT OUT!

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:

Why is _________ phone/tablet not supported?

In order to offer us flexibility without compromising other software such as rom manager premium, etc we did not want to rely on /cache/recovery/extendedcommands. At the time of developing the flash automation features, extended commands were licensed to RM only and it would have been illegal to use them. Since then, the license has changed, but we still feel it is the best direction to have our own since we can change it to fit our needs.

Why does this not work with my recovery i downloaded from Rom Manager?

CWM and CWM touch builds distributed by rom manager ONLY WORK WITH ROM MANAGER SO STOP ASKING!!!! #@$#@$#

Why are incremental updates only available for some roms?

Incremental updates are enabled on a per rom-device basis. Not all builds are even capable of this, since wipe can be required. It is at the discretion of the developer to toggle this as needed.

If you are a developer and would like to sign up: goo.im/signup

If you are a recognized developer, chances are you will get approved. (Note not all buildbox applicants are approved, and you may get only hosting)

Last edited:

bigbiff

Senior Recognized Developer
Jun 8, 2010
Awesome. Used it to put TWRP2.1.2 easily on my ATT Galaxy Note.

eyeballer

Jun 24, 2010
teamw.in
It's Goo time! Been using this to distribute my unofficial cm9 nightlies for the touchpad and nook color for a while now and we've had nothing but positive feedback from users. Encourage your favorite rom developers to sign up :)

Dees_Troy

Senior Recognized Developer
Mar 31, 2008
KC MO
www.teamw.in
Not only is GooManager a great app, the whole ecosystem is, I believe, second to none.
  • A fantastic, simple system for developers to upload their ROMs and specify what device that ROM is for.
  • Easy for device users to find the ROMs that work with their devices.
  • Notifications of ROM updates for the ROM that you're using.
  • Easy download and installation of ROMs for devices with a supported recovery.
  • Differential updates - only flashes the files that have changed from one version to the next - smaller download, less wear and tear on your device, and quicker updates.

britoso

Jan 13, 2010
Orlando
Thanks for this free app!
People don't have to donate to automatically check if there is an update to a CM nightly now.

peters4n6

Jul 4, 2011
for those of us who are not update-happy (although it is addicting) is there anyway to know from either this app or from Goo notifications in general whether an update requires a full wipe and then the requisite re-setting up of one's device?

I get a notification everyday for the new Gapps and for an update of my ROM (AOKP milestone 5 for Kindle Fire). I've ignored them because I'm just too lazy to spend an hour or two getting everything back up and running.

lanceman5000

Apr 13, 2011
I've tried repeatedly to download CM9 nightlies and gapps via the latest market version of the app (2.06 I believe) and I always get a "download failed" message no matter if I'm on wifi or 3g. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, clearing cache, and clearing app data, and nothing seems to work. Is the download manager problem referenced in the OP a problem with ICS as well as GB? I have a Galaxy Nexus (toro) using BAMF Paradigm 1.25 in case that info makes a difference.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

thereals0up

Apr 17, 2012
I've tried repeatedly to download CM9 nightlies and gapps via the latest market version of the app (2.06 I believe) and I always get a "download failed" message no matter if I'm on wifi or 3g. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, clearing cache, and clearing app data, and nothing seems to work. Is the download manager problem referenced in the OP a problem with ICS as well as GB? I have a Galaxy Nexus (toro) using BAMF Paradigm 1.25 in case that info makes a difference.

Please get a logcat. It will give you a reason why the download failed. If you are on linux, adb logcat | grep GOO :)

There seems to be issues with some people or devices that I have yet to narrow down. If you can replicate this bug consistently please contact me on freenode IRC in the #goo-inside.me channel and i'll try to look into it. My time is limited these days hunting a bug i can't reproduce so despite the needs of the community -- work and life comes first!

thereals0up

Apr 17, 2012
for those of us who are not update-happy (although it is addicting) is there anyway to know from either this app or from Goo notifications in general whether an update requires a full wipe and then the requisite re-setting up of one's device?

I get a notification everyday for the new Gapps and for an update of my ROM (AOKP milestone 5 for Kindle Fire). I've ignored them because I'm just too lazy to spend an hour or two getting everything back up and running.
It is up to the developer to state whether it requires a wipe in their changelog. Generally nightly builds will not require a full wipe though

Reactions: peters4n6

lanceman5000

Apr 13, 2011
Please get a logcat. It will give you a reason why the download failed. If you are on linux, adb logcat | grep GOO :)

There seems to be issues with some people or devices that I have yet to narrow down. If you can replicate this bug consistently please contact me on freenode IRC in the #goo-inside.me channel and i'll try to look into it. My time is limited these days hunting a bug i can't reproduce so despite the needs of the community -- work and life comes first!

I have no clue what I'm looking at, but here is the logcat of a download attempt. At least I hope this is what you meant.

http://db.tt/bpWD2LWo

Raistlin82

Dec 20, 2008
Anybody can explain how to use with Galaxy note CM9?

I'd li ke to flash nightly in diff mode. First of all do I need to unistall cwm and install the open recovery?

Somebody has already tried?

Inviato dal mio GT-N7000 con Tapatalk 2

thereals0up

Apr 17, 2012

I'd li ke to flash nightly in diff mode. First of all do I need to unistall cwm and install the open recovery?

You simply install goomanager, hit menu -> install openrecoveryscript which will DD over the image to your recovery partition for twrp 2.0.

As far as differential patches go, the feature is still being enabled on a per-rom basis while I make sure there are no bugs :) CM nightlies in general do not have it enabled yet but some devs do.. the list will improve but i don't want to make any big changes until I am 100% positive the incremental system is perfect :p

Reactions: goingcrazy614

thereals0up

Apr 17, 2012
This thing is a piece of crap if you are trying to download on 3g.
Please keep this conversation constructive. If you have anything relevant to resolving the issue go ahead and post it but complaints are not helpful. If you have a failed download, paste a logcat or simply the line which gives a numerical code for why the download failed. The tag will be "GOO"

We are aware of downloading issues but since this is just a project we do strictly on free time for no profit, we can only get what we can afford which is why we are on all used hardware and frequently have hiccups with our distribution boxes. We're looking into getting more in the rotation to lower the load on the servers but there are not enough hours in the day or dollars in the bank account to handle it right away. We're looking into financing some sexy new servers from dell if we can get approved :p

Last edited:
Reactions: eyeballer

Raistlin82

Dec 20, 2008
You simply install goomanager, hit menu -> install openrecoveryscript which will DD over the image to your recovery partition for twrp 2.0.

As far as differential patches go, the feature is still being enabled on a per-rom basis while I make sure there are no bugs :) CM nightlies in general do not have it enabled yet but some devs do.. the list will improve but i don't want to make any big changes until I am 100% positive the incremental system is perfect :p

Ok so I prefer to wait...I have no rush.
But it is safe to install the openrecovery? I mean 0% of brick over n7000 running CM9

superstargoddess

Jul 30, 2011
Nelsonville
fuh-q.com
Please keep this conversation constructive. If you have anything relevant to resolving the issue go ahead and post it but complaints are not helpful. If you have a failed download, paste a logcat or simply the line which gives a numerical code for why the download failed. The tag will be "GOO"

We are aware of downloading issues but since this is just a project we do strictly on free time for no profit, we can only get what we can afford which is why we are on all used hardware and frequently have hiccups with our distribution boxes. We're looking into getting more in the rotation to lower the load on the servers but there are not enough hours in the day or dollars in the bank account to handle it right away. We're looking into financing some sexy new servers from dell if we can get approved :p

Sorry, was just being honest! ^^

Edit: I'd totally donate if it were reliable on 3g!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The official app of Goo.im

We have spent a lot of time getting the server side changes in place to automatically parse our developer's rom files to grab data to make a functional OTA update system without the need for editing manifest files, or other tedious tasks. This is our attempt at creating a way for Android developers to simply publish material, and distribute it to the masses without any hassle.

This app is and will always be FREE!

General Features:

• Ability to browse and search all of the files we have on our site, and download directly to your mobile device.
    • Receive OTA style updates from your favorite rom developers that we have hosted here.
    • CyanogenMod nightly build update support
    • Incremental (differential) rom updates for sequential builds
    • Flashing roms & installing recoveries
    • Update gApps packages

If you would like to sideload the app on your phone and avoid the market, we distribute the APK by itself, and also as a prebuilt repo maintained by solarnz(github.com/solarnz)

Are you a rom developer wanting to publish your work with our updating system?

To get your rom compatible with our updating system, you should make the appropriate changes to your build.props. For more information on this system, see the link below (sorry it's not clickable but i need 8 posts!)

goo.im/howto-rom-updating-via-our-app (For developers who are curious about how to modify their build prop file for compatibility with GooManager)

GooManager download page (To download the actual app)

KNOWN ISSUES:
    • DownloadManager API is buggy on Gingerbread
    • Installing OpenRecoveryScript on devices that do not support flash_image and do not have a /cache/recovery/command supported recovery will fail

FEATURE REQUESTS
    Feel free to post them in this thread, but as my time is limited and Goo.im/GooManager's code is just something I do in my free time, there are simply not enough hours in the day to address them all :(

SHOUT OUTS
    • Chris Solarnz (For his java advice and contributions)
    • Mike Wielgosz (For contributing to the rom reordering and listing code)
    • Dees_Troy for all of his amazing work on OpenRecoveryScript and TWRP
    • eyeballer (For countless nights of helping test stuff, and awesome suggestions)
    • Shift (For the market icon)
    • Drmacinyasha (For all the testing / anal retentive bug reporting)
    • toastcfh (For helping bounce lots of ideas around)
    • EVERYONE ELSE I PROBABLY LEFT OUT!

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:

Why is _________ phone/tablet not supported?

In order to offer us flexibility without compromising other software such as rom manager premium, etc we did not want to rely on /cache/recovery/extendedcommands. At the time of developing the flash automation features, extended commands were licensed to RM only and it would have been illegal to use them. Since then, the license has changed, but we still feel it is the best direction to have our own since we can change it to fit our needs.

Why does this not work with my recovery i downloaded from Rom Manager?

CWM and CWM touch builds distributed by rom manager ONLY WORK WITH ROM MANAGER SO STOP ASKING!!!! #@$#@$#

Why are incremental updates only available for some roms?

Incremental updates are enabled on a per rom-device basis. Not all builds are even capable of this, since wipe can be required. It is at the discretion of the developer to toggle this as needed.

If you are a developer and would like to sign up: goo.im/signup

If you are a recognized developer, chances are you will get approved. (Note not all buildbox applicants are approved, and you may get only hosting)
    Not sure if this has to do with my ROM or this program but i thought i should bring it up to help others avoid this. I might be a dumda** for doing this, but i rebooted into recovery through Goomanager and now i can't get out of CWM. It keeps putting me back into recovery i can't even shut it down since it only gives the option to reboot. I'm thinking it is soft bricked so i am using the 1a. option on soft brick recovery from XDA to fix it (still downloading ADB first time so wish me luck :) ). My device is the Asus prime with gummy ROM 1.2.3 and CWM touch latest version. Will let everyone on if I'm able to fix it and if this is a already known problem that has a fix sorry for the re-post.

This actually isn't a goo manager problem, it's because the CWM version you're using doesn't clear the recovery instruction. Flash the zip in this post to get out of it - you'll need to "adb push" the zip to /sdcard/ to be able to flash it, then in the future either use TWRP (which you can install using goo manager) or use one of these versions of CWM: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1601942

It is up to the developer to state whether it requires a wipe in their changelog. Generally nightly builds will not require a full wipe though

This thing is a piece of crap if you are trying to download on 3g.