[Q] Rooting my HTC one running 4.3 Android

Search This thread

Cr Stallion

Feb 17, 2014
Hey guys, I am very frustrated right now because I have been trying to root my phone for over 5 hours and have not gotten anywhere. This is my first time rooting, and I really would appreciate your guys knowledge and help. I have windows, and I have been reading and watching videos and downloading all kinds of things. I tried following the steps in htconeroot.com and I watched the whole video tutorial, and I couldn't even get the htc one root zip downloaded to my computer... Can someone please help me, I am completely lost. I feel like I have just been reading and trying things that are outdated and/or the links do not work anymore. Thank you very much, as I am in need right now and I would really like to get my phone rooted as soon as possible.

Thanks again!

Sloth

Inactive RC / Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 23, 2012
Xda-Dev,NV
Click the DIY guide in my sig and if you have questions post them here or PM :D

Cr Stallion

Feb 17, 2014
Click the DIY guide in my sig and if you have questions post them here or PM :D

Hey, thank you very much for helping out BD,

I am just learning all this stuff so sorry if I may not know what to do on very basic steps.

My first question is,

on step 5 on htcdev bootloader, it tells me to type in a command. I typed it and I got this, "fastboot is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file"

Sorry man, if you get me through this lol I promise I will get you some fine Costa Rican coffee! I want to get it done, I hope you can be here guiding me and I am very thankful!

Sloth

Apr 23, 2012
Xda-Dev,NV
Hey, thank you very much for helping out BD,

I am just learning all this stuff so sorry if I may not know what to do on very basic steps.

My first question is,

on step 5 on htcdev bootloader, it tells me to type in a command. I typed it and I got this, "fastboot is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file"

Sorry man, if you get me through this lol I promise I will get you some fine Costa Rican coffee! I want to get it done, I hope you can be here guiding me and I am very thankful!
Open the cmd window from the folder with all the files that you downloaded

jluca98

Aug 27, 2013
Download and install this http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2317790 and check the desktop shortcut in the setup. Run the new desktop shortcut and type commands there. Put the unlock token bin in the install folder. You can do this by right clicking the shortcut and clicking open file location and drag the token there.

Cr Stallion

Feb 17, 2014
All the files are under download, I went to the cmd window and typed download. Man, I have no idea how to do any of this stuff. I am completely new to all of this. I downloaded the files but then I don't even know if I am suppose to do anything with them...

I will restart again, as if I have not downloaded anything at all...

My first steps should be following the bootloader instructions on HTCdev, and at step 4 I download the files and then extract them to another folder. Then I should go hit start, type cmd. Click cmd, and type that stuff? That is what I did, where did I go wrong?

Last edited:

Sloth

Apr 23, 2012
Xda-Dev,NV
All the files are under download, I went to the cmd window and typed download. Man, I have no idea how to do any of this stuff. I am completely new to all of this. I downloaded the files but then I don't even know if I am suppose to do anything with them...

I will restart again, as if I have not downloaded anything at all...

My first steps should be following the bootloader instructions on HTCdev, and at step 4 I download the files and then extract them to another folder. Then I should go hit start, type cmd. Click cmd, and type that stuff? That is what I did, where did I go wrong?
Unzip the folder all the files you need are inside

---------- Post added at 08:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 PM ----------

If you can wait for a bit I can make a video guide, if you wish? Just tell, cheers

Sended for HTC One via XDA Premium App
There are 2 videos posted in my guide

Cr Stallion

Feb 17, 2014
Unzip the folder all the files you need are inside

---------- Post added at 08:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 PM ----------

There are 2 videos posted in my guide

I really appreciate you guys on not giving up on me, BD should I download the root files before doing anything else?

Also, since I feel like an idiot about this stuff. Because everyone seems to have no problems and I can't even unzip a file or open a command. I had to google to even know what unzipping a file meant.

Is there any files I should have on my computer prior to attempting to download anything else in the guide? Also, should I just make a folder and name it something like androidroot, and then whenever I download a file, copy it to the desktop and try to open it?

Sloth

Apr 23, 2012
Xda-Dev,NV
I really appreciate you guys on not giving up on me, BD should I download the root files before doing anything else?

Also, since I feel like an idiot about this stuff. Because everyone seems to have no problems and I can't even unzip a file or open a command. I had to google to even know what unzipping a file meant.

Is there any files I should have on my computer prior to attempting to download anything else in the guide? Also, should I just make a folder and name it something like androidroot, and then whenever I download a file, copy it to the desktop and try to open it?
Yes download the root files everything you need is inside

Cr Stallion

Feb 17, 2014
Hey guys, I have gotten past all that other stuff and I just got my unlock pin code on my email, I ran into a problem saving it. Whenever I tried to save it, i get a message saying windows can't open the file that it needs to know what program to use to open the file? What should I do in this part, and sorry about my questions before, I just had to read more and explore the links you provided, before I started watching the video link I was trying to follow every step on htcdev

Sloth

Apr 23, 2012
Xda-Dev,NV
Hey guys, I have gotten past all that other stuff and I just got my unlock pin code on my email, I ran into a problem saving it. Whenever I tried to save it, i get a message saying windows can't open the file that it needs to know what program to use to open the file? What should I do in this part, and sorry about my questions before, I just had to read more and explore the links you provided, before I started watching the video link I was trying to follow every step on htcdev
It's been a while but I think you just right click the .bin and select save as and save it to the root files folder

Cr Stallion

Feb 17, 2014
It's been a while but I think you just right click the .bin and select save as and save it to the root files folder

It askes me to use a program to open the file with, the guy on the video is able to just save it with no problem on his desktop then move it to the root file. Whenever it gives me options to manually select the program I can choose to open the bin and I click the root folder, the options of programs it gives me are th HTC driver, fastboot, cmd, another folder saying stock recovery and boot images, and adb?

I have no clue, it doesn't give me an option to just save it to the desktop like how the guy in the vid did. Plus it says windows can't open the file and it asks me to search the web for a program to open the file or to just open the file with an already installed program, I just dont know what program to choose.

Thanks for sticking with me, really appreciate it.

Sloth

Apr 23, 2012
Xda-Dev,NV
It askes me to use a program to open the file with, the guy on the video is able to just save it with no problem on his desktop then move it to the root file. Whenever it gives me options to manually select the program I can choose to open the bin and I click the root folder, the options of programs it gives me are th HTC driver, fastboot, cmd, another folder saying stock recovery and boot images, and adb?

I have no clue, it doesn't give me an option to just save it to the desktop like how the guy in the vid did. Plus it says windows can't open the file and it asks me to search the web for a program to open the file or to just open the file with an already installed program, I just dont know what program to choose.

Thanks for sticking with me, really appreciate it.
Are you right clicking the .bin?
If you left click it will try to open.

Cr Stallion

Feb 17, 2014
Are you right clicking the .bin?
If you left click it will try to open.

Yeah I did both, the problem is it doesn't give me an option to save as because its on my email (gmail.) I'm using firefox webbrowser, the only options I have is to hit the download arrow or show in drive. If I right click it, the options are
back, forward, bookmark this page or save page as, background image. Just the regular options.

Sloth

Apr 23, 2012
Xda-Dev,NV
Yeah I did both, the problem is it doesn't give me an option to save as because its on my email (gmail.) I'm using firefox webbrowser, the only options I have is to hit the download arrow or show in drive. If I right click it, the options are
back, forward, bookmark this page or save page as, background image. Just the regular options.
Ok choose download then find it in the downloads folder and copy and paste it to the root files folder

Cr Stallion

Feb 17, 2014
OKay, ran into another problem just now.

Whenever I open the cmd on the root folder, and type in adb reboot boot loader, it gave me a message saying device offline?

adb server is out of date. killing...
* daemon started successfully *
error: device offline

thats exactly what happened

Last edited:

Sloth

Apr 23, 2012
Xda-Dev,NV
OKay, ran into another problem just now.

Whenever I open the cmd on the root folder, and type in adb reboot boot loader, it gave me a message saying device offline?

adb server is out of date. killing...
* daemon started successfully *
error: device offline

thats exactly what happened
Ok go into setting/about/software/more and tap the build number 7 times it will enable developer options
then go to settings/dev options and UNcheck then re-check USB Debugging you will now get a popup on your phone with an RSA number check the box that says always allow from this PC and hit OK.
Your device should show as device rather then offline