[Q] Im Just not sure what to do here S3 or N4

Search This thread

101hottest

Nov 23, 2008
Dallas
First off thanks for your time,

That being said Ive gotten myself into a Brain boot loop that I just cant seem to get out of.

So here's the situation Im currently the proud owner of a Samsung GS3 which hands down is a fantastic phone
the phone is currently running CM 10.1 nightly with the KT747 kernel OC'd to 2.1 GHz Thanks to both devs for there fantastic work
so i guess you could say i have somewhat of a "raw" android experience with a few tweeks that is.

Being that its that time of year and tax return is working its way from the IRS to my bank account Ive been considering trading
my GS3 for the N4 but i just cant seem to put my finger on which device is for me so Im turning to the great people of this forum for help

I know the perks and the downfalls of each phone and the arguments on why one is better than the other so here's my stand point

I DONT NEED/USE

-Expandable storage

-LTE is not top priority

-Removable battery is nice but not necessarily a deal breaker

-Camera Im so/so about - not sure if the N4 has 0 shutter lag hoping someone can shed
some light on this for me it is one feature I do really enjoy on the S3 because i do have
kids that love to move around and are hard to get a good picture of but I feel both cameras are up to par

So all that being said I guess Im just looking for some outside opinions at this point
is it really worth me switching to the N4 or should i hold on to my cash and my S3

Again I do appropriate your time and help.

Beauenheim

Sep 12, 2012
Google Pixel
Google Pixel XL

That being said Ive gotten myself into a Brain boot loop that I just cant seem to get out of.

So here's the situation Im currently the proud owner of a Samsung GS3 which hands down is a fantastic phone
the phone is currently running CM 10.1 nightly with the KT747 kernel OC'd to 2.1 GHz Thanks to both devs for there fantastic work
so i guess you could say i have somewhat of a "raw" android experience with a few tweeks that is.

Being that its that time of year and tax return is working its way from the IRS to my bank account Ive been considering trading
my GS3 for the N4 but i just cant seem to put my finger on which device is for me so Im turning to the great people of this forum for help

I know the perks and the downfalls of each phone and the arguments on why one is better than the other so here's my stand point

I DONT NEED/USE

-Expandable storage

-LTE is not top priority

-Camera Im so/so about - not sure if the N4 has 0 shutter lag hoping someone can shed
some light on this for me it is one feature I do really enjoy on the S3 because i do have
kids that love to move around and are hard to get a good picture of but I feel both cameras are up to par

So all that being said I guess Im just looking for some outside opinions at this point
is it really worth me switching to the N4 or should i hold on to my cash and my S3

While the Nexus 4 is beautiful and has higher specs in some parts, I'd recommend saving your money until "the next big thing" comes out like the galaxy s4 or the rumored Motorola X phone.

If you do prefer the stock android experience as that's what you're currently using, you should be fine as the S3 will be almost as good as if you were to get a Nexus 4.

Of course I don't own the devices but I've tried them both for a day or two (friend let me borrow) but I ended up staying with my Galaxy Nexus and decided to save my money as the performance jump isn't that great even from then. The next generation phones do show promise and could possibly be worth upgrading for.

101hottest

Nov 23, 2008
Dallas
Yea I'm really considering waiting since I did just upgrade to the S3 so if I waited it out the full 18 months they love to stick us with they will have the "super s" or "s5" by then. I think all in all I'll just purchase the Nexus 7.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

DrunkFuX666

Feb 19, 2011
Google Pixel XL
Google Pixel 3a XL
Well as already pointed out... I would say wait till the 14th... see what the s4 has to offer, then change your phone...
Personally, considering what you said in the first post... you don't want ANY of the extra things the s3 offers over the N4, but you ARE a fan of what the N4 offers which the s3 doesn't... being kindof vanilla android... being a cm10 user, although the s3 will be supported for a while I'm sure, the amount of time it takes to iron out all the bugs due to not having the Exynos source code, atleast for me was extremely frustrating... with the nexus your always ready to go with any custom rom... with the occasional bug here and there...
But if the s4 again has a exynos, the same dev difficulties will stay... not to mention the super delayed updates... so I personally think, wait for the S4... if it doesn't wow you then get the N4 because it seems its better suited to your needs...

As for getting a nexus 7 instead... google I/O is pretty close... its time for a new nexus 7inch tab so you will most likely see it then and avoid a buyers remorse getting an outdated tab now... rest assured there won't be a new nexus phone just yet... its too soon...
So wait a week and make your decision...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Q

Reactions: 101hottest

crackrk

Nov 2, 2010
Not sure how much this will pertain to you, but here's my $.02.

Personally for me I like having the newest version of Android. While some of the bells and whistles of the themes are nice eye candy, I love the vanilla Android with allowing me to install those nice add-ons. While I don't mind loading roms, I don't want to be forced to do that in order to get the newest version within a reasonable amount of time (<a month or two). I bought the galaxy nexus on Verizon the day it came out. First time I ever waited in line before a store opened for a phone. I was so excited. You may or may not know this, but Verizon has taken the nexus name and completely trashed it. My hopes and dreams of having a phone that would always be on the cutting edge of Android was completely trashed because Verizon needed to "perform ample testing to insure the highest quality software", or some BS like that.

Now, I know what you're going to say. You've got a nexus, you're here on XDA, ROOT THAT THING! Yes, I have. I had the bootloader unlocked within 45 minutes of owning the thing, rooted 10 minutes after that. The problem is I bought a nexus to not be forced to F around with roms, unless I wanted to. Verizon has forced my hand to mess around with roms if I want the newest Android.

So, after that long winded answer, I personally would go with the N4 unless you can wait for the next nexus device. All I know is my next phone will be another Nexus, which I'll by directly from google and tell Verizon to go F themselves.

Best of luck.

Edit: I see you were mentioning the N7. I own one of those, bone stock. Did unlock the bootloader and rooted just to put on the circle battery mod. I love it, but personally I'd buy a N10. The 7 isn't that much larger then my galaxy nexus and I wish I had a slightly larger screen. IMO no need for cell-based service when you can teather it to your phone and get the same thing. It's a great device which has replaced taking a laptop with me on vacation. I bought the dongle thing to connect my SD card to it also, which is great for uploading pictures from my camera.

Last edited:

karan1038

Aug 8, 2012
Chandigarh
www.androidgang.com
You should buy nexus 4 as it has largest development community and it is the phone which recieves software updates first and its a google certified phone
It has 4g capability
It has no expandability
But a really good camera
And is for only 430 usd

PLEASE HIT THANKS IF I HELPED

Last edited:

darknezx

Feb 14, 2013
Cash is king. I'd just hold onto the S3 and wait for the new wave of devices that're coming, e.g. GS4 and One. Things that'll be noticeably better. :)

101hottest

Nov 23, 2008
Dallas
Thanks you guys i really have taken all of your 2 cents into account and i think Im just going to have to stick with what my heart desires like my wife keeps telling me

Big shout out to

Beauenheim
DrunkFuX666
crackrk

Your inputs have been taken into great consideration over this decision

And as far as waiting for the GS4 I am a Samsung employe not that they let us know the details of the device before it is released but Im on my 3rd Samsung phone I think its time to switch it up besides my set father just lost his iPhone 5 to a tragic toilet accident that could really use a new phone so i think its time to "grab the bull by its horns" and finally get my hands on that sexy Nexus 4.

crackrk

Nov 2, 2010
Good deal, best of luck on your next phone adventure. I have to wait until the end of this year before I can begin mine. Hopefully the next nexus device will be released and may include an LTE radio, though I'll still tell verizon to go F themselves. Unless of course I can buy it from google directly and stay on verizon's network. I know, I can hear your laughing from here. :good:

Reactions: Gv916

Gv916

Feb 24, 2013
Decision

Im do for an upgrade as well soon..im thinking about htc one.. The only thing holding me back is the fact of how much hassle it is to root it.. One reason why i had got the s3 instead of the last htc one.. Before my s3 i had the evo 3d. It was such a pain in the ass to root.. When i switched to s3. I had it rooted in like 25 min.. I really liked that.. But i do miss htc platform..im on sprint so the nexus 4is not offered.. They did come out with galaxy nexus. I am excited to see what the s4 holds.. I dont know..lol

d.vanes

Jan 18, 2013
I hear the s4 will be released unfinished. Something about the CPU overheating so it getting something less powerful and curved glass is not ready so its getting regular glass. Plus no superamoled because they get that display to do full 1080p

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

killbubble

Feb 27, 2013
Verona
R: [Q] Im Just not sure what to do here S3 or N4

Well if you really do not care at all for all those cool features that make the galaxy s3 (and its awesome screen) somewhat great better than other phones....really theres no point in waiting for the galaxy s4 uts probably just gonna be faster..
You might as well get the nexus 4.
I have a feeling it would make your life more of a pain compared to the s3 but u sai u dont care about the cool specs...so go for the cheapest, no point saving up money ;)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I DONT NEED/USE

-Expandable storage

-LTE is not top priority

While the Nexus 4 is beautiful and has higher specs in some parts, I'd recommend saving your money until "the next big thing" comes out like the galaxy s4 or the rumored Motorola X phone.

If you do prefer the stock android experience as that's what you're currently using, you should be fine as the S3 will be almost as good as if you were to get a Nexus 4.

Of course I don't own the devices but I've tried them both for a day or two (friend let me borrow) but I ended up staying with my Galaxy Nexus and decided to save my money as the performance jump isn't that great even from then. The next generation phones do show promise and could possibly be worth upgrading for.
    Well as already pointed out... I would say wait till the 14th... see what the s4 has to offer, then change your phone...
    Personally, considering what you said in the first post... you don't want ANY of the extra things the s3 offers over the N4, but you ARE a fan of what the N4 offers which the s3 doesn't... being kindof vanilla android... being a cm10 user, although the s3 will be supported for a while I'm sure, the amount of time it takes to iron out all the bugs due to not having the Exynos source code, atleast for me was extremely frustrating... with the nexus your always ready to go with any custom rom... with the occasional bug here and there...
    But if the s4 again has a exynos, the same dev difficulties will stay... not to mention the super delayed updates... so I personally think, wait for the S4... if it doesn't wow you then get the N4 because it seems its better suited to your needs...

As for getting a nexus 7 instead... google I/O is pretty close... its time for a new nexus 7inch tab so you will most likely see it then and avoid a buyers remorse getting an outdated tab now... rest assured there won't be a new nexus phone just yet... its too soon...
    So wait a week and make your decision...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Q
    Not sure how much this will pertain to you, but here's my $.02.

Personally for me I like having the newest version of Android. While some of the bells and whistles of the themes are nice eye candy, I love the vanilla Android with allowing me to install those nice add-ons. While I don't mind loading roms, I don't want to be forced to do that in order to get the newest version within a reasonable amount of time (<a month or two). I bought the galaxy nexus on Verizon the day it came out. First time I ever waited in line before a store opened for a phone. I was so excited. You may or may not know this, but Verizon has taken the nexus name and completely trashed it. My hopes and dreams of having a phone that would always be on the cutting edge of Android was completely trashed because Verizon needed to "perform ample testing to insure the highest quality software", or some BS like that.

Now, I know what you're going to say. You've got a nexus, you're here on XDA, ROOT THAT THING! Yes, I have. I had the bootloader unlocked within 45 minutes of owning the thing, rooted 10 minutes after that. The problem is I bought a nexus to not be forced to F around with roms, unless I wanted to. Verizon has forced my hand to mess around with roms if I want the newest Android.

So, after that long winded answer, I personally would go with the N4 unless you can wait for the next nexus device. All I know is my next phone will be another Nexus, which I'll by directly from google and tell Verizon to go F themselves.

Best of luck.

Edit: I see you were mentioning the N7. I own one of those, bone stock. Did unlock the bootloader and rooted just to put on the circle battery mod. I love it, but personally I'd buy a N10. The 7 isn't that much larger then my galaxy nexus and I wish I had a slightly larger screen. IMO no need for cell-based service when you can teather it to your phone and get the same thing. It's a great device which has replaced taking a laptop with me on vacation. I bought the dongle thing to connect my SD card to it also, which is great for uploading pictures from my camera.
    You should buy nexus 4 as it has largest development community and it is the phone which recieves software updates first and its a google certified phone
    It has 4g capability
    It has no expandability
    But a really good camera
    And is for only 430 usd

PLEASE HIT THANKS IF I HELPED
    Good deal, best of luck on your next phone adventure. I have to wait until the end of this year before I can begin mine. Hopefully the next nexus device will be released and may include an LTE radio, though I'll still tell verizon to go F themselves. Unless of course I can buy it from google directly and stay on verizon's network. I know, I can hear your laughing from here. :good: