[9][OFFICIAL][WEEKLY] CarbonROM | cr-7.0 [cedric]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Oremusnix

Sep 7, 2018
Installation guide for new users

Hi

I tried to follow the installation instruction in the first post but ended up in bootloop. So I though I would make a detailled guide for new users since some instructions are not all in the same place.
I wanted to backup at least the EFS partition. More on partitions and what they do.

Starting point : Moto G5 "cedric" with stock Oreo latest security update (december 2018).
Prerequisites :
Rom installations :
  1. Set up a pin number on your phone. Without it TWRP will not be able to decrypt your data partition.
  2. Activate USB debugging on the phone.
  3. In a terminal on your PC and with the phone on and connected with usb, make it reboot in bootloader mode : "adb reboot bootloader"
  4. Flash the TWRP recovery : "fastboot flash recovery twrpxxxxx.img"
  5. From the bootloader screen, use the volume up/down to select "recovery mode" and presh the power button, this will boot TWRP. It will ask for you PIN set up earlier to decrypt the data partition.
  6. Go to backup, choose a storage, I only had internal.
  7. Backup all partions that make sense to you (EFS for me). If you chose SDcard for storage, turn off the phone, remove the card and copy the backup to your PC and skip to step 12. If you selected internal storage, carry on.
  8. Boot your phone. Since we did nothing to prevent the dm-verity from working, this will reset your recovery.
  9. Copy your backup from internal storage to your PC
  10. Go back to bootloader mode as in step 3
  11. Reflash TWRP
  12. from TWRP, go to wipe then advanced, then Format. This will erase everything. swipe to wipe "Data/Cache/Dalvik".
    [*]Go back and tap "Advanced". Wipe "System".
  13. Copy the file your downloaded earlier on your phone using "adb push"
  14. Go back and install the ROM, Magisk and the dm-verity zip. Magisk will give you root.
  15. Reboot and enjoy !

EDIT : Reworked because I kept having to enter my PIN number on boot and I had a GPS icon showing even when locations were turned off. bold text is new instructions. I striked the old ones.

Last edited:

Horrible Username

Jun 16, 2018
I didn't need to do all of the above steps, it just seemed to install fine.
Or maybe I did, It's been a while since I unlocked the bootloader and installed TWRP.

This Rom seems to be running great. I'm on my second update now, and the only problem I've run into is after the update, I'll need to reboot twice to get the phone fully functional. The update settings are on stock, so the update happens in TWRP. After it installs and reboots, my phone won't initialize/read the sim card properly. No LTE, the phone will show the network provider and the imei, but everything else is "unknown". I need to do a second reboot to get things running properly.

Oremusnix

Sep 7, 2018
Cam buggy again on version 20190522-0004

I updated to the latest version(CARBON-CR-7.0-OPAL-WEEKLY-cedric-20190522-0004) through the OTA updater and everything works fine except for the camera that is buggy again.
Some photos are correct but sometimes they get scrambled. some with a green tint except for a square on the top right. Or a shadow red hue overlappting.
I did not encounter this behavior on the previous version 20190515. Maybe a regression ?

BixilonA

May 15, 2019
Reboots

So. After 2 Weeks of testing.....

1 big problem: After rebooting, the phone reboots after (ca) 30secs. This happens only when AFWall+ (Donate) has superuser permissions(With Magisk)

The next problem is, that my phone randomly hangs up and reboots. Its just crashing. Then there is the first problem.

And when I upgrade via OTA, I first must copy the zip file to the sd card. Why not doing it automatically?

OfficerJimLahey

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 12, 2014
Sunnyvale
www.chebucto.ns.ca
I didn't need to do all of the above steps, it just seemed to install fine.
Or maybe I did, It's been a while since I unlocked the bootloader and installed TWRP.

This Rom seems to be running great. I'm on my second update now, and the only problem I've run into is after the update, I'll need to reboot twice to get the phone fully functional. The update settings are on stock, so the update happens in TWRP. After it installs and reboots, my phone won't initialize/read the sim card properly. No LTE, the phone will show the network provider and the imei, but everything else is "unknown". I need to do a second reboot to get things running properly.

Finally noticed that myself. However was on the road so I could not treat myself to a log of it. I have the opportunity to try again soon though.

I updated to the latest version(CARBON-CR-7.0-OPAL-WEEKLY-cedric-20190522-0004) through the OTA updater and everything works fine except for the camera that is buggy again.
Some photos are correct but sometimes they get scrambled. some with a green tint except for a square on the top right. Or a shadow red hue overlappting.
I did not encounter this behavior on the previous version 20190515. Maybe a regression ?

That problem is consistent, unfortunately. Happens in low light.

Reactions: Nyakov

BixilonA

May 15, 2019
hmm. Its only rooted. And later I "xposed" the phone. Xposed has only Gravity Box enabled. Root only afwall+; EdXposed Installer and Titanium Backup. Nothing more

OfficerJimLahey

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 12, 2014
Sunnyvale
www.chebucto.ns.ca
hmm. Its only rooted. And later I "xposed" the phone. Xposed has only Gravity Box enabled. Root only afwall+; EdXposed Installer and Titanium Backup. Nothing more

Yeesh, all that is a lot. And we cannot support bug resolution when XPosed (which is made for AOSP, not their derivatives) is in play.

FWIW, rooting by definition, changes the system (adds superuser functionality). All else has to the potential to make further changes to system.

However, lets rule out that as an issue. You can try:

• Doing a TWRP backup (nandroid)
  • Wipe data, cache, dalvik and system
  • Flash only the ROM (May 22nd build) (and Gapps)
  • Turn on developer options, ADB, connect to PC for logcat
  • Reattempt the issues you have found (May 22nd build means an update will still be waiting)
  • For anything awry, please send those logs

Reactions: rahimali

Arbition

Oct 30, 2011
Looks like my mobile radio isn't working. I suspect it may be because I have a regional variant which doesn't match the rom quite right, so for now I'm going back to official. Having seen the LED which never showed up in the stock rom, I'm going to give this another try fairly soon. Cheers.

Sonisudhanshu

Dec 9, 2016
I am Getting Error On Every Boot Stating "The Vender Image Does Not Match With The System. please flash the HUAWEICLT-L29 Vender image for your device"

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190703-143133.jpg
    Screenshot_20190703-143133.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 461
Last edited:

TheFixItMan

Jul 8, 2012
London
I am Getting Error On Every Boot Stating "The Vender Image Does Not Match With The System. please flash the HUAWEICLT-L29 Vender image for your device"

You are referencing firmware for a Huawei p20 Pro
Since this device doesn't have a separate system vendor & system partition are you posting in the correct forum?

Confirm that you are flashing a moto g5 cedric rom on a moto g5 cedric

Sonisudhanshu

Dec 9, 2016
Have you flashed any treble roms or used a treble twrp?

If so flash stock firmware via fastboot and the reflash the rom with a 64bit twrp

If not do the above anyway or try a different rom
i am not experiencing any issues right now other than the error . can i just ignore it

---------- Post added at 10:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 AM ----------

Have you flashed any treble roms or used a treble twrp?

If so flash stock firmware via fastboot and the reflash the rom with a 64bit twrp

If not do the above anyway or try a different rom
I Might be using treble twrp, how do i check it

Horrible Username

Jun 16, 2018

Are you using Magisk - specifically the safetynet fix (I don't remember exactly what it's called)?
When I was using it I would get the same message. I think it can just be ignored - at least I did, but I also have stopped using the fix

OfficerJimLahey

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 12, 2014
Sunnyvale
www.chebucto.ns.ca
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    uK2Q5sA.png

CarbonROM is an aftermarket firmware based on the Android Open Source Project. We are dedicated to fast, stable, and feature-filled roms, honesty and communication with our users, and openness with our code. We like frequent builds, with the very latest and greatest hardware support and fixes. We strive to not only provide you with the best rom we can build, but also to give back to the Android community and our fellow developers. For us, this is about creating something we can be proud of and hope you will enjoy.

Please feel free to look, build, and use our code at CarbonROM's GitHub...

Disclaimer:
    While we make every effort to test these builds as much as possible, we are not responsible for anything that may happen to your device, family, pets, or perception of reality. We ask that you do your part to know your device and know how to recover from problems before you flash! These builds are experimental and can contain Bugs (as listed above). Make sure to do backups.

Support:
    We spend an astonishing amount of time developing this software. We can't spend much time on XDA as a result, so if you need support, please try the following:

1) Search. Search, search, search. Yes, you. I don't care how unique or important your question is, it's very likely someone has adressed it already. Especially if you're even close to new at this.
    2) Read our FAQ, which can be found on our website. Carbon FAQ
    3) Ask a question in your device forum. Someone will no doubt try to help you. Warning: this help may come in the form of telling you it's a dumb question that has been asked before. See step 1 - such are the perils of asking questions when you haven't done the research yourself. Android is about helping yourself.
    4) Join our Discord server! There, you can connect with other Carbon users and our developers, and you can get quicker responses to your bug reports. The invite link is right below.
    5) Please keep bugreports to this thread or Discord. Do NOT create a Jira ticket. This is still in early development so we don't accept any bugreports yet.

Requirements:
    You should start off with the latest Stock ROM, flash the ARM64 variant of TWRP, and then proceed to flash Carbon.

Download
    Join the CarbonROM Discord server
    Meet us on Telegram
    GitHub
    Kernel source

Remember, every penny you send to us goes right back into the ROM. It's used for hardware, server costs, etc - all the things that help us make Carbon better with every release. Your support means the world to us! If you've enjoyed Carbon, please consider a donation toward this goal. Thank you, and we hope you continue to enjoy Carbon!

XDA:DevDB Information
    [9][OFFICIAL][WEEKLY] CarbonROM | cr-7.0 [cedric], ROM for the Moto G5

Contributors
    OfficerJimLahey, CarbonROM, CodeZero
    Source Code: https://github.com/CarbonROM

ROM OS Version: 9.x Pie
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.x
    ROM Firmware Required: TWRP ARM64 build for cedric
    Based On: AOSP

Version Information

Created 2019-04-11
    Last Updated 2019-05-15
    Omni solves that by doing some device fingerprint faking (pretending its a Payton instead of a Cedric during init). Because there are conflicting ways to apply that trickery and in general, I am averse to the trickery involved in cat-and-mouse games, I prefer to apply this stance on a morality similar to CarbonROM's stance against shipping kernels that bypass safety net.

The world of custom firmware has changed in the past few years, mostly to additional protections of intellectual property. My belief has become if you are to choose to use a service that in doing so, breaks the terms it had set out, it should not be my responsibility to make your job easier.

Some may point out that vendor blobs fall into the same issue of morality. To me, there is a great extent of difference. Using a service with a bypassed safetynet versus using camera driver blobs is much like logging into your Netflix and archiving the content vs ripping some DVDs you own.

At any rate, I see custom firmware as providing choice, but there will be the inherent tradeoff. Which is why I want people to be serious about this path before you unlock the bootloader, because the odds are immense to that there is no turning back.
    Installation guide for new users

Hi

I tried to follow the installation instruction in the first post but ended up in bootloop. So I though I would make a detailled guide for new users since some instructions are not all in the same place.
    I wanted to backup at least the EFS partition. More on partitions and what they do.

Starting point : Moto G5 "cedric" with stock Oreo latest security update (december 2018).
    Prerequisites :
    Rom installations :
    1. Set up a pin number on your phone. Without it TWRP will not be able to decrypt your data partition.
    2. Activate USB debugging on the phone.
    3. In a terminal on your PC and with the phone on and connected with usb, make it reboot in bootloader mode : "adb reboot bootloader"
    4. Flash the TWRP recovery : "fastboot flash recovery twrpxxxxx.img"
    5. From the bootloader screen, use the volume up/down to select "recovery mode" and presh the power button, this will boot TWRP. It will ask for you PIN set up earlier to decrypt the data partition.
    6. Go to backup, choose a storage, I only had internal.
    7. Backup all partions that make sense to you (EFS for me). If you chose SDcard for storage, turn off the phone, remove the card and copy the backup to your PC and skip to step 12. If you selected internal storage, carry on.
    8. Boot your phone. Since we did nothing to prevent the dm-verity from working, this will reset your recovery.
    9. Copy your backup from internal storage to your PC
    10. Go back to bootloader mode as in step 3
    11. Reflash TWRP
    12. from TWRP, go to wipe then advanced, then Format. This will erase everything. swipe to wipe "Data/Cache/Dalvik".
      [*]Go back and tap "Advanced". Wipe "System".
    13. Copy the file your downloaded earlier on your phone using "adb push"
    14. Go back and install the ROM, Magisk and the dm-verity zip. Magisk will give you root.
    15. Reboot and enjoy !

EDIT : Reworked because I kept having to enter my PIN number on boot and I had a GPS icon showing even when locations were turned off. bold text is new instructions. I striked the old ones.
    It's easy to say "this or that doesn't work" but not provide any proof, any logs to help devs to get it fixed, one of the reasons I stopped working on roms for the community is that, it's exhausting to only read comments complaining about stuff that doesn't work.
    It's not a question of complaining, the question is that I'm giving my feedback and really these items that I quoted are not working, I'm not an android developer, I'm just a simple user. If I had the knowledge to develop I would do it with total love.

Where are the logs? Just telling what don't work doesn't help. If you are gonna report any issue then provide logs, if not then don't report anything.