US Z1s Tell Sony to give us the option unlock BL!

Search This thread

Ceilingc47

Jan 16, 2014
Can't say I'm suprised in the least. It's supposed to be Tmobile exclusive flag ship. That said it's not the first locked bootloader the world has seen. Is just a matter of time before someone figures out a workaround.

nightfox11

Apr 30, 2010
Venice
We can still flash international stock ROMs right? That good enough for me if I ever feel the need to use a custom rom I have my note 3 for that.

sent from my Xperia Z1s

epsix

Aug 29, 2010
Exactly, Z1s was meant to be for TMO so we can't blame Sony. Actually many people advice us to do not buy the Xperia from Carriers because of that, but like all the times many do not search and read carefully.

Reasons I waited for T-Mobile is WiFi calling and it has all the bands for their network. I just hope we can obtained root soon, can't live without it.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

eclyptos

Jun 14, 2008
Planet Earth
Reasons I waited for T-Mobile is WiFi calling and it has all the bands for their network. I just hope we can obtained root soon, can't live without it.

On locked bootloader should be no problem, the root come soon. Someone just complain because of permanently locked bootloader and no custom kernels for them.

oxidax

Nov 3, 2012
Is there or will there be any way to root without unlocking the bootloader? I dont really care about flashing the rom but rooting is a whole different story for me :/

POMF2K

Jan 2, 2009
Traverse City, MI
Agreed. Rooting is essential at the very least.

Sony and T-Mobile need to realize that people who purchase this device are very discerning consumers and tech users. We didn't just settle for the s4.

We chose this device for superior styling, specs, and build quality. And i hope i speak for others too when i say that i jumped to T-Mobile (despite concerns of service quality) because i was tired of the service i was receiving from my old carrier. I am thus far very pleased.

John Legere claims that all his grand ideas were the result of listening to customers carrier woes. Honestly he is the reason i switched. Not because i think T-Mobile will be the best carrier, but because i think he can/will change the industry and that deserves a little faith. Well i think it's time for John to have a little faith in us.

Sent from my C6916 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 10:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 AM ----------

Honestly we should write a letter to Mr Legere with attached signatures from users of all android devices petitioning for the unlocking of bootloaders on all currently supported and future handsets.
Am i correct in assuming this does not affect sim unlock? Hell they could require that the handset be paid off or that the user be enrolled in the jump program (insured).

We need to show manufacturers and carriers how big the Android modding community is and let them see that this community is the future of android and all mobile device development.

Reactions: fatannasty

eclyptos

Jun 14, 2008
Planet Earth
Is there or will there be any way to root without unlocking the bootloader? I dont really care about flashing the rom but rooting is a whole different story for me :/

Yes, Z1 can be rooted with Locked Bootloader so Z1s will be too, give them some time.

---------- Post added at 07:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:29 PM ----------

Am i correct in assuming this does not affect sim unlock?

Yes, you are correct.

Reactions: fatannasty

xasbo

Feb 10, 2012
Maybe we can put the TMOUS firmware on a C6906.
Has there been much dev progress here? As soon as someone dumps a FTF, C6906s can start flashing them and seeing what breaks. I have an AT&T sim card, though, so I can't really help. I ended up with a Telus C6906 anyway, so it's locked BL.

Sony and T-Mobile need to realize that people who purchase this device are very discerning consumers and tech users. We didn't just settle for the s4.
Honestly, I don't think they want to win the "discerning and technical" crowd so much as they just want a big market share. The portion of the marketshare who cares about root/unlock BL/customization is not big enough for them to fight carriers and keep the product financially viable. The carriers are going to push way more sales volume than Sony could on their own, so Sony has to appease them. If it wanted to, maybe Sony could become the Tesla of handsets (distribution without dealerships), but there's no precedent or market case for all that leg work.

xasbo

Feb 10, 2012
Technically, "carrier bootloader locked." As in, "bootloader unlock allowed: no". The official unlock procedure doesn't work, obviously, but I'm confident that this is possible to reverse.

I've been doing some research on how to bypass this (talking to Sony dev, reviewing how it was done on the Z), but haven't had much time since the holidays to actually hack the hardware yet.

epsix

Aug 29, 2010
Never huge fan of Sony, I only purchased this cause its water resistance. :D After seeing how easy it is to brick this device, i wouldn't even try to unlock BL even if it's unlockable. But really wants root though. :thumbup:

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: rob420p

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I tweeted them.:)
    @sonyxperiauS * @SonyXperia* US version of Z1s bootloader is NOT unlockable. I'm returning it until you give us option to unlock.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2
    It isn't up to Sony, the carrier has told Sony it wants to buy phones with locked bootloaders, blame your carrier instead.

Exactly, Z1s was meant to be for TMO so we can't blame Sony. Actually many people advice us to do not buy the Xperia from Carriers because of that, but like all the times many do not search and read carefully.
    Agreed. Rooting is essential at the very least.

We chose this device for superior styling, specs, and build quality. And i hope i speak for others too when i say that i jumped to T-Mobile (despite concerns of service quality) because i was tired of the service i was receiving from my old carrier. I am thus far very pleased.

John Legere claims that all his grand ideas were the result of listening to customers carrier woes. Honestly he is the reason i switched. Not because i think T-Mobile will be the best carrier, but because i think he can/will change the industry and that deserves a little faith. Well i think it's time for John to have a little faith in us.

---------- Post added at 10:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 AM ----------

Honestly we should write a letter to Mr Legere with attached signatures from users of all android devices petitioning for the unlocking of bootloaders on all currently supported and future handsets.
    Am i correct in assuming this does not affect sim unlock? Hell they could require that the handset be paid off or that the user be enrolled in the jump program (insured).

We need to show manufacturers and carriers how big the Android modding community is and let them see that this community is the future of android and all mobile device development.

Yes, Z1 can be rooted with Locked Bootloader so Z1s will be too, give them some time.

---------- Post added at 07:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:29 PM ----------

Am i correct in assuming this does not affect sim unlock?

Yes, you are correct.
    Never huge fan of Sony, I only purchased this cause its water resistance. :D After seeing how easy it is to brick this device, i wouldn't even try to unlock BL even if it's unlockable. But really wants root though. :thumbup:

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk 2