[APP][2.3+] Lux Auto Brightness

Search This thread

ney2x

May 14, 2015
Hi!

Please correct me if I am wrong. I am using Lux together with Cf.lumen. I disabled Master Filter mode in Cf.lumen and I select Cf.lumen in Lux advanced settings and I let Lux do its job. Is this the right configuration to integrate Cf.lumen?

Here are my observations using only the built-in Android Battery Usage Statistics:
(Please note the mode I am using is Dynamically and Smart)

1. High Battery usage/alarms/wakelocks if I integrate Cf.lumen, but, Auto-brightness is working perfectly.
2. Low Battery usage if no Cf.lumen plugin, but Auto-brightness is not working. I need to open the dashboard and touching the refresh sign before auto-brightness takes place.

pure.by

Jan 23, 2010
  1. Since the last update, "Sleep mode" is getting enabled all the time for no apparent reason.
  2. Also, the "Sleep list" feature has been removed or hidden from the UI which makes it impossible to investigate the above issue or add exceptions.
  3. On top of that, last update broke the "Refresh" button in notification bar -- it does nothing when clicked.
  4. Changelog claims that CF.Lumen support, has been improved, which is not true — adjusting brightness in Lux while CF.Lumen is active still disables CF.Lumen's filter.
  5. Lux's own color filters (with CF.Lumen integration) simply look horrible compared to CF.Lumen's -- Lux's Night Mode makes screen look all green-ish, and does not filter out much of the blue light compared to the same color temperature mode in CF.Lumen.
  6. "Astronomer Mode" in Lux still simply applies red filter on top of any color, instead of converting picture to b/w first and then replacing white with red. As a result, for example, yellow color becomes indistinguishable from white, as both colors become the same shade of red.
  7. The bug with "Smart profile" not toggling Day and Night modes correctly even though Location coordinates are entered manually, is still present.
  8. Brightness is still not always adjusted when light conditions change, however this might be a problem with my phone

For the past year, not a single new feature has been introduced in new release, not a single bug from a previous version has been solved. However, new bugs have been added with each new release.

Because the developer of Lux has apparently abandoned proper development of his payed app, , I've decided to abandon the use of the Lux as well. I've switched to an app called Darker for sub-zero screen dimming in combination with mandatory CF.Lumen for better color filters. This configuration is of course less advanced and therefore I do really miss Lux, but at least those few feature's I'm left with do actually work.

Last edited:

tersagun

Jul 26, 2010
İstanbul
Hey guys,

recently started using LUX on my rooted G3 because minimum brightness is way too bright at nights. So far no bugs I've experienced (using the free version).
But is there a way for LUX to show current LUX/brightness levels on status bar instead of the useless LUX icon?
Even the widget does not seem to show anything; it just shows "auto" without any info.

Thank you.

Christiancs1969

Mar 3, 2012
london
  1. Since the last update, "Sleep mode" is getting enabled all the time for no apparent reason.
  2. Also, the "Sleep list" feature has been removed or hidden from the UI which makes it impossible to investigate the above issue or add exceptions.
  3. On top of that, last update broke the "Refresh" button in notification bar -- it does nothing when clicked.
  4. Changelog claims that CF.Lumen support, has been improved, which is not true — adjusting brightness in Lux while CF.Lumen is active still disables CF.Lumen's filter.
  5. Lux's own color filters (with CF.Lumen integration) simply look horrible compared to CF.Lumen's -- Lux's Night Mode makes screen look all green-ish, and does not filter out much of the blue light compared to the same color temperature mode in CF.Lumen.
  6. "Astronomer Mode" in Lux still simply applies red filter on top of any color, instead of converting picture to b/w first and then replacing white with red. As a result, for example, yellow color becomes indistinguishable from white, as both colors become the same shade of red.
  7. The bug with "Smart profile" not toggling Day and Night modes correctly even though Location coordinates are entered manually, is still present.
  8. Brightness is still not always adjusted when light conditions change, however this might be a problem with my phone

For the past year, not a single new feature has been introduced in new release, not a single bug from a previous version has been solved. However, new bugs have been added with each new release.

Because the developer of Lux has apparently abandoned proper development of his payed app, , I've decided to abandon the use of the Lux as well. I've switched to an app called Darker for sub-zero screen dimming in combination with mandatory CF.Lumen for better color filters. This configuration is of course less advanced and therefore I do really miss Lux, but at least those few feature's I'm left with do actually work.
Last beta was a week ago....
Are you in gplus group/community?

Sent from my klte using Tapatalk

pure.by

Jan 23, 2010
Last beta was a week ago....
Are you in gplus group/community?
No, I'm not in G+ group, but I've been using the normal payed version from Play Store around a year and a half now and witnessed how each update broke yet another feature and introduced yet another bug. I've been a big fan and spent a lot of time reporting those issues, but my feedback was never taken seriously.

I can understand such an attitude from a developer of a free app, but not the one that costs several bucks. I guess it's a lot of free money for developer, so... He kinda doesn't care. With current mobile market growth, for every dissatisfied customer he'll get 5 new, so why bother?

Last edited:

Christiancs1969

Mar 3, 2012
london
No, I'm not in G+ group, but I've been using the normal payed version from Play Store around a year and a half now and witnessed how each update broke yet another feature and introduced yet another bug. I've been a big fan and spend a lot of time reporting those issues, but my feedback was never taken seriously.

I can understand such an attitude from a developer of a free app, but not the one that costs several bucks. I guess it's a lot of free money for developer, so... He kinda doesn't care. With current mobile market growth, for every dissatisfied customer he'll get 5 new, so why bother?
All your reports would have been read by either beta team members or dev..
They are in contact and would have looked into each report and log...
The beta community is constantly working with the dev.
I can assure you. He works very hard on this App....

Sent from my klte using Tapatalk

pure.by

Jan 23, 2010
All your reports would have been read by either beta team members or dev..
They are in contact and would have looked into each report and log...
The beta community is constantly working with the dev.
I can assure you. He works very hard on this App....
Thanks for your reply, but I can't help but notice that your assurance kinda contradicts my own experience over the past 1.5 years.

I don't know what happens on beta-level, but judging the end result I can't imagine anyone is working on this app at all. Forget about hard work.

Last edited:

noraef

Jul 18, 2013
Something I always forgot to ask: is there a way for Lux to also control soft keys brightness?

May Arno

Jul 5, 2012
The same problem on HTC One m7, also.
Brightness gets update only by opening the app or pressing the notification bar. (paid version). (No matter which profile is selected)
And it get's quite annoying as this morning under the sun I unlocked my phone and since it was still on last night's brightness (very low) I couldn't even see a thing to unlock and open the app to refresh.

This problem has been persistent for the past week at least. Should we uninstall the app and wait till it's fixed ?

gu5t3r

May 30, 2012
Is periodically better than dynamically for battery?

Light sensor poll rate slowest is best for battery?

May Arno

Jul 5, 2012
The same problem on HTC One m7, also.
Brightness gets update only by opening the app or pressing the notification bar. (paid version). (No matter which profile is selected)
And it get's quite annoying as this morning under the sun I unlocked my phone and since it was still on last night's brightness (very low) I couldn't even see a thing to unlock and open the app to refresh.

This problem has been persistent for the past week at least. Should we uninstall the app and wait till it's fixed ?

I wanted to confirm that, the free app actually functions perfectly fine and doesn't have the pair version bug which I mentioned above.

SmithO77

Feb 12, 2012
I'm having a problem. The app does not update the brightness sometimes. I would have to pull down the notification panel, touch backlight & it would refresh the brightness level. Is there a option that can fix this? Or is this a bug? I have it set on periodically & manual period for 3 sec. Tried Dynamically & still happening.

Last edited:

dump71

Oct 20, 2011
I'm having a problem with lux 'sleeping'. It stays in sleeping mode when I wake the phone and does not adjust brightness until I pull down the notification bar and press the notification. I've tried resetting settings but it wont adjust brightness under any circumstances unless I touch the notification. I've tried 'on wake', dynamic, ascending etc. It's the paid version. I've also tried alternative overlay and using camera as light sensor.

LG G2 Lollipop

Just purchased the app for additional features but frustrated to find that I am having the same problem.

ikjadoon

Jul 4, 2012
Lenovo P11
Something I always forgot to ask: is there a way for Lux to also control soft keys brightness?

Requires root + CF.Lumen if I'm not mistaken. But, possible....

---------- Post added at 07:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:34 PM ----------

I didn't used to have the "sleep" issue, but I was having lag problems with Lux, so I uninstalled -> reinstalled and the "sleep" bug came with the new install! :(

Cyb3rGlitch

Apr 12, 2011
Hey everyone. Sorry to hear that people are having issues with the paid version. I'm working on hotfixes at the moment. A lot of these bugs don't appear on my test devices, which is why regressions happen seemingly randomly. I'm working hard on finding a reliable way to reproduce and test these issues to prevent this happening again.

ikjadoon

Jul 4, 2012
Lenovo P11
Hey everyone. Sorry to hear that people are having issues with the paid version. I'm working on hotfixes at the moment. A lot of these bugs don't appear on my test devices, which is why regressions happen seemingly randomly. I'm working hard on finding a reliable way to reproduce and test these issues to prevent this happening again.

Thanks for your open communication! :)

For people who aren't in the Google+ Lux Beta group, a fix has been found and will probs be pushed out soon.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    unnamed.png

Lux - The Original Android Auto-Brightness App

So I thought I should make an XDA thread for Lux, over a year after releasing it to the Play Store!

FULL or FREE

Issues/Suggestions

If you have any issues or suggestions, please add them to the public issue tracker found here. Be sure to search first, duplicated issues will not work in your favour.

News
    • Update to 1.51 released to Play Store!
      - Profiles. Have different behaviour for day and night!
      - Root plug-ins. Custom kernel with RGB control? Make a plug-in to utilise it!
      - Improved notification
      - Low pass filter
      - Cubic interpolation
      - Polish/French/Russian/German/Italian translation
      - Manual sunrise location input
      - Control Dashboard slider with vol. keys
      - Fade duration/step
      - Reduced battery usage
      - Fixes

• Update to 1.06 released to Play Store!
      - Automatic night mode (uses location for sunset/sunrise).
      - Notification priority
      - Enhanced dashboard and notification UI
      - Enable/disable and refresh Lux via Tasker
      - Bug fixes

• Update to 0.76 released to Play Store!
      - Fixed brightness issues after call

• Update to 0.74 released to Play Store!
      - Fixed max/phone brightness preferences swapped
      - Added ignore 0 lux option
      - Made static phone brightness optional

• Update to 0.70 released to Play Store!
      - New 'ascending' automatic mode for zero jitter!
      - Expandable notification for added control (Android 4.1+)
      - Improved efficiency
      - Install to OS functionality
      - Set min/max brightness bounds
      - Adjustable night mode
      - Improved persistence (Android won't kill it!)
      - Fixed Nexus 7 255 luma bug
      - Fixed Tasker 'on wake' revert bug
      - Compat. mode is now known as 'sleep mode'
      - Night Mode now default Dashboard action (hold for Astro. mode)
      - Misc. tweaks and fixes.

App Description

Lux isn't your ordinary brightness app. It intelligently adjusts the brightness of your display based on the environment you're in. If, for example, you step into a dimly lit room, Lux will automatically lower the brightness of your display to make it not only comfortable to read, but to also preserve battery power.
    Lux provides the option to automatically adjust the backlight at fixed intervals (periodic mode), when a change in environment is detected (dynamic mode), or when the phone wakes from sleep. It's also possible to adjust the backlight manually. Simply disable automatic mode and you can use it like a traditional brightness tool!
    Perhaps the best thing about Lux is that you can teach it how to behave. If the backlight is too bright or dim for your liking, simply open the provided Dashboard, adjust the brightness slider to the level you desire, then hold the link button. Lux will use this new 'link' as a reference in future.

Give it a go! I want you to test Lux for more than the 15 minute refund period offered by Google. I understand that some devices may not have the best quality light sensor, and that you may need more time to play around with settings. If you find that Lux doesn't suit you after the 15 minutes is up, you can request a refund at any time via e-mail - no questions asked.

★FEATURES★
    ■ Custom auto brightness.
    ■ Sub-zero brightness to make reading in the dark significantly less irritating.
    ■ Battery efficient
    ■ Handy brightness widget
    ■ Option to use the camera to read in ambient light.
    ■ Power-user settings such as choice of interpolation, sensor debugging, and linked sample editing.
    ■ Backup to SD.
    ■ 'Ascending' auto mode for phones with inaccurate light sensors.
    ■ Gradual fade for backlight adjustments.
    ■ Astronomer mode adds a red filter to the screen to preserve the eyesight of stargazers.
    ■ Jitter control to prevent constant small changes to the backlight.
    ■ Automatic night mode, to change the colour temperature of the display for comfortable night time viewing.
    ■ Add app specific exceptions via sleep mode
    ■ No ads, or other nuisances.
    ■ Tasker and Locale support!
    Note: Please disable other brightness apps before using Lux. The author is not liable for any issues caused when using this app.

★PERMISSIONS★
    TAKE PICTURES AND VIDEOS: Used to read in luma values, if camera input is selected.
    DRAW OVER OTHER APPS: Required for night/astro mode.
    READ PHONE STATE: Required to prevent Lux from interfering with phone controls in Android 4.1.
    MODIFY SYSTEM SETTINGS: Brightness is a system setting, as is toggling the default auto brightness.
    RETRIEVE RUNNING APPS: Required to make the 'sleep list' functionality work, so Lux can disable itself when certain apps are in the foreground.
    COARSE LOCATION: Required to automatically calculate sunrise/sunset times.
    IN APP BILLING: Required for purchasing future device specific root only plug-ins, to enhance functionality.
    Lux Low-Level Plug-ins

Soon Lux will support plug-ins to bypass Android API limitations. These plug-ins serve to replace the overlay system Lux uses to make adjustments for Night/Astronomer modes and brightness in general. The plug-in library is free to use for non-commercial development, and can be found here:

Lux Plug-in Library | Nexus 4 Sample Plug-in Code

How to make a plug-in

There are two approaches to making a plug-in for Lux. The passive and the active method. The former is as easy as providing a set of superuser commands for Lux to interpret and apply. These command correlate to functions such as setting pixel RGB or brightness levels. This is the type of plug-in the Nexus 4 sample linked above takes.
    The active method requires you produce your own code to perform RGB/brightness adjustments. This might include importing a device specific library to do the heavy lifting, and then returning empty superuser commands back to Lux.

Getting Started

Simply import the Lux Plug-in Library source into your IDE as an Android Library Project, and then create a new Android app which extends PassiveDisplay.java.

PassiveDisplay provides hooks into Lux's plug-in framework, which you can use to provide superuser commands for Lux to execute. These commands correlate to functions such as setting RGB values. Take a look at the sample Nexus 4 project to see how it's all done.
    Finally, in your new project's AndroidManifest.xml file, add the following:

Code:
        <activity
            android:name="com.vitocassisi.lux.plugin.MainActivity"
            android:label="@string/app_name" >
            <intent-filter>
                <action android:name="android.intent.action.MAIN" />

<category android:name="android.intent.category.LAUNCHER" />
            </intent-filter>
        </activity>

<receiver
            android:name="com.vitocassisi.lux.plugin.LuxBroadcastReceiver"
            android:exported="true" >
            <intent-filter>
                <action android:name="com.vitocassisi.lux.plugin.search" />
            </intent-filter>
        </receiver>

<service
            android:name=".[B]MY_PLUGIN[/B]"
            android:exported="true" >
            <intent-filter>
                <action android:name="[B]YOUR_PACKAGE_NAME_HERE[/B]" />
            </intent-filter>
        </service>

Be sure to replace YOUR_PACKAGE_NAME_HERE with the name of your plug-in's package, and MY_PLUGIN with your extended PassiveDisplay class.

And that's it! Now you're ready to test!

Enabling Plug-In support within Lux

To enable plug-in support, you must check 'Enable plug-in support' in the Advanced section of Lux settings. Enabling this option forfeits all responsibility of mine for any issues caused while using Lux. Plug-in's can cause very real damage to your device if they're written incorrectly - don't use plug-ins from sources you don't trust!
    Testing your plug-in
    Testing is critical for creating a good plug-in. You are dealing directly with system files, and can easily cause damage if you do not know what you're doing.

DO NOT RELEASE A PLUG-IN WITHOUT TESTING IT ON THE TARGET DEVICE FIRST!

Ensure that the following work with your plug-in installed:
    • Astronomer Mode
    • Night Mode
    • General brightness adjustment
    • Lux readings functional

BE METICULOUS WITH YOUR IMPLEMENTATION OF isSupportedDevice()!
    Modifying system files on the wrong model/kernel may cause irreversible issues!

Licence
    Code:
    Copyright © 2013 Vito Cassisi

You may not use this library except in compliance with the following:
        - It cannot be used for commercial purposes under any circumstances, unless explicit permission is granted in writing from the author.
        - Modifications to this library may not be distributed.

Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software
    distributed under this licence is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS,
    WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied.
    Lux v1.99.8 released (staged rollout)

- Added CF.lumen support (don't need CF.lumen active, just install the driver). Acts as a plug-in for all Android 4.4+ devices. Please buy the pro version to support his work.
    - System autobrightness enabled during calls
    - Option to shake at lockscreen to increase brightness
    - Option to prevent drop in brightness in landscape
    - Enforced persistent notification, added system removal method
    - Fixed dashboard width issue
    - Fixed notification priority resetting at boot
    - Misc. fixes
    Apologies to everyone for not being around lately. I've been answering support via email.

A new release is rolling out on the market to 5% of users. Please use the 'Send Feedback' button in Lux preferences if you experience issues. Also, feel free to email me with any questions or concerns.