For anyone that got a Dot View Case

Search This thread

Supacat

Aug 23, 2004
What do you think? I know that we are basically trading functionality for retro coolness with some usefulness. Taking a picture in landscape stinks but I was willing to live with it as it is the first case I ever used that actually is useful.

The one ish I am having that I wanted to check with others on is when I open the case it always turns on the device. However, I cant say the same is consistent on closing it. It seems like the magnet might not be strong enough or the lid heavy enough but it requires me at times to press on where the magnet is to shut off the device. I think this might be due to the lid getting a little misshaped when its flipped behind when reading. I would prefer not having to think about it and when the case is closed the device always will turn off.

Last edited:

Supacat

Aug 23, 2004
Not losing any functionality as far as I know, when I close the cover on my current case its just off.

Dot case arrives Tuesday :D

So you have one or it arrives Tuesday? :)

Loss of functionality statement refers to the same thing that happens to all phones with this flip style case. It makes it more difficult to take landscape pictures and one handed use. Like said ok with giving that up just want the case to work. Just trying to find out if I had a dud. Guess I will find out once more people get them.

So you have one or it arrives Tuesday? :)

Loss of functionality statement refers to the same thing that happens to all phones with this flip style case. It makes it more difficult to take landscape pictures and one handed use. Like said ok with giving that up just want the case to work. Just trying to find out if I had a dud. Guess I will find out once more people get them.

Well I have the standard flip case that has a magnet that turns the device on and off, pretty sure thats still in the flipcase.

My dot case arrives tuesday and I am far too excited about that.

faded03cobra

Mar 23, 2012
I like the dot case, but not for everyday use. I just put a zagg glass on my phone and now the dot case will not close all the way.

agarp

I am using the dot view case and I dont have the issue you mentioned. My phones display goes off when the cover touches the screen.
The manual of the dot view case states that ticker screen protectors might affect the dot view cases finger gesture abilities.
PS I do not have a screen protector on mine yet

Crazypinoy9

Jun 19, 2010
I am using the dot view case and I dont have the issue you mentioned. My phones display goes off when the cover touches the screen.
The manual of the dot view case states that ticker screen protectors might affect the dot view cases finger gesture abilities.

I have a nilkin tempered glass protector on mine and gestures with the dot case haven't been affected.

59fifty1

Dec 6, 2012
I love mine! I wish that you could control music with the cover on it. That's my only gripe. I like to use my phone as a music player at work to make my day go by a little quicker. I wonder if that's possible with an update....

GermanGuy

Mar 19, 2005
Minneapolis
I had it for a day, then returned it. It does not protect the right side at all and in my opinion it is just a gimmick. Wait a little while until lint starts plugging the holes and then it will be just an ordinary flip case.

mcampos7

Jan 29, 2009
The OC
I love mine! I wish that you could control music with the cover on it. That's my only gripe. I like to use my phone as a music player at work to make my day go by a little quicker. I wonder if that's possible with an update....

Well, knowing Verizon an update will arrive aprox 720 days from now. I'd really enjoy an update that makes the day go by a little quicker, since we have s-off now can we use one from another carrier? haha I have the case. Love it. First case that has actually provided screen protection. I usually throw zaggs on all my phones but i find they affect the smoothness of swiping. Just going to use the dotview and forgo the zagg.

Keep me posted on that update though!
\

henderjr

One thing that's annoyed me about this case is you have to use the default HTC SMS app for the SMS notification icon to display. But that app sucks as it doesn't automatically turn your phone on when you have an SMS which I prefer. Sucks it doesn't have a popup but that's a separate issue. Anyway my solution to this is to use Tasker and the Secure Settings plugin. For incoming SMS call a task that uses Secure Settings screen on option. This didn't work right for me with my EVO LTE when I tried (screen wouldn't turn off) but this worked right away. And since the case is closed the screen on command shows the dot view sms notification.

Hopefully either HTC or some other developer expands the use of the case with a hack to the app or maybe a custom application.

Reactions: Chris_c81

Supacat

Aug 23, 2004
I am using the dot view case and I don't have the issue you mentioned. My phones display goes off when the cover touches the screen.

Thanks for the update so hopefully its a dud case and not the sensor in the phone that's messed up:(

bakemcbride21

Sep 15, 2009
Had mine for two weeks now...I like it...obviously it could be better but the utility I get out of it and the fact that it does look pretty cool is good enough for me. I never have used a case or screen protector before on my thunderbolt or DNA so I have no basis of comparison and there's obviously cases out there that protect the phone better...but I live by the adage..don't drop your phone!

As for increased functionality with the dot view case...if it's possible it could happen quickly as htc is updating these apps in the play store..HTC dot view, tv, etc so they don't have to go through Verizon testing as part of an OTA.

As for the lint build up..I imagine a quick spray from a can of compressed air will take care of that!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here it is for all. Ignore if you aren't interested. Again this is to turn the dot view screen on for incoming sms and emails. Though only works 100% if your default sms app is HTC's messages and for email HTC's mail app.

To capture SMS and turn on the display it's pretty easy. Though you have to have HTC messages app as the default or it'll turn on the display but won't show the SMS notification, just the weather. You will need secure settings and tasker. I don't recall if you can get by with the free version of secure settings or not. I have the paid as I use some of the other features it has.

Open tasker and go to profiles. Hit the plus symbol and choose "Event" then on next screen "Phone" and Received Text. Then choose the type (probably Any) and click the back aarow in the top left. Then click "New Task" and name it Screen On or something like that. Then click the plus, plugins, and secure settings. From there click the configuration pencil, Actions, and Wake Device. From there I chose 30 seconds for the duration and Screen & Keyboard Lights On. Then click the save disc up top. I also made the Action Edit Timeout value 30 seconds. Click the back aarow twice and you should have the profile and task to turn the screen on for incoming messages. Might need a reboot for tasker to take effect. But then send your self a test sms with the dot view closed an hopefully the dot view will turn on for 30 seconds showing the SMS notification.

Can do the same for emails, but again the email dot view notification would only show for the emails coming into HTCs mail app (not the gmail app).

It's basically the same process except the profile is capturing an event-->UI-->Notification and then you tell it the app the notification is for (htc's mail app). Though I had to insert a wait command for 5 seconds before turning screen on because if I turned the screen on right away the icon didn't show. It was like HTC wasn't setting the dot view notification as fast as I was turning the screen on. I also added some logic to my profile so it won't turn the screen on after 10pm or if I'm in a call (phone is to my ear so I wouldn't want the screen to turn on).
    One thing that's annoyed me about this case is you have to use the default HTC SMS app for the SMS notification icon to display. But that app sucks as it doesn't automatically turn your phone on when you have an SMS which I prefer. Sucks it doesn't have a popup but that's a separate issue. Anyway my solution to this is to use Tasker and the Secure Settings plugin. For incoming SMS call a task that uses Secure Settings screen on option. This didn't work right for me with my EVO LTE when I tried (screen wouldn't turn off) but this worked right away. And since the case is closed the screen on command shows the dot view sms notification.

Hopefully either HTC or some other developer expands the use of the case with a hack to the app or maybe a custom application.
    Hey there. Could I be cheeky and ask how you achieve this exactly? And could the same be done for Gmail notifications?

I've had Tasker for ages and never gotten round to learning it really! This would be a good chance to learn.

PM me if it's easier to chat that way.

Many thanks.

Edit: ok I've managed to get the screen to light up when a text is received however it doesn't display the Dot View SMS image.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Longwinded PM sent