[FIX][AOSP][MIUI] All GPS fixes!

Search This thread

raphenucleus

Aug 1, 2010
Dallas, TX
Hey galandy! Thanks for starting this thread and putting all of the GPS fixes into one place! You might want to consider adding this fix into the OP, though. I realize it's just a variant of the Sense GPS fix, but maybe it'll work for people when the Sense does not, since it involves flashing into the latest OTA with the latest stock GPS drivers. I'm guessing most people who do the standard Sense GPS fix are restoring an old 2.2 version of Sense and this has the potential to be problematic and not fix the issue for some. The standard Sense fix still works great for me (I did it the other day), but I know it doesn't for everyone, so maybe this will fix it for those people. Just a thought. Thanks again!

MizzouBrent

Feb 19, 2011
Olathe, KS
Well I tried the Gingerbread driver and it caused 100% CPU usage. I'm not having much luck with these alternative GPS drivers.

Kingdom caused 100% CPU
Evo Gingerbread caused 100% CPU
HTC Vision Driver seems to drain my battery even though I don't see any 100% CPU issues or wakelock.
N39 doesn't seem to work real great...GPS will work and then just shut off. Guess I need to do the Sense fix.

Is anyone else seeing battery drain with the Vision driver? I can't be the only one. I'm on HW 003. Running CM7 stable and nightly builds with all different types of kernels and I've seen this issue.

raphenucleus

Aug 1, 2010
Dallas, TX
Well I tried the Gingerbread driver and it caused 100% CPU usage. I'm not having much luck with these alternative GPS drivers.

Kingdom caused 100% CPU
Evo Gingerbread caused 100% CPU
HTC Vision Driver seems to drain my battery even though I don't see any 100% CPU issues or wakelock.
N39 doesn't seem to work real great...GPS will work and then just shut off. Guess I need to do the Sense fix.

Is anyone else seeing battery drain with the Vision driver? I can't be the only one. I'm on HW 003. Running CM7 stable and nightly builds with all different types of kernels and I've seen this issue.

I've been having the exact same experience as you with all of the drivers. After testing the CM7 n39 driver some more, I've found that neither the standard Sense GPS fix nor the one I mentioned in my post above completely fixes the occasional GPS icon hangover in the status bar. I only get this when I open and close Maps or Navigation many times in rapid succession or try to use GPS in an area with poor GPS reception (like inside away from the windows), so it's not that big of a deal, but it also doesn't function as well as the Vision driver, so right now I'm retesting the Vision driver to see if I still get the same battery drain problem after flashing the latest radios from Calkulin. I haven't had much time to test this yet, but I'll let you know if I have any success. If I don't, I may just go back to the CM7 n39 driver and accept that I'll have to sacrifice some GPS functionality for battery life.

MizzouBrent

Feb 19, 2011
Olathe, KS
Well my issues with the Vision GPS driver appear to be no more. It doesn't seem to be causing me battery drain now. I went down to Tiamat 3.3.7 but I'm not sure if that made any difference or not. Now I have a perfectly functioning CM7 with a great GPS driver.

raphenucleus

Aug 1, 2010
Dallas, TX
Well my issues with the Vision GPS driver appear to be no more. It doesn't seem to be causing me battery drain now. I went down to Tiamat 3.3.7 but I'm not sure if that made any difference or not. Now I have a perfectly functioning CM7 with a great GPS driver.

That's great news! My issues seem to have gone away too. I've been using the Vision GPS driver for over a day now and it doesn't seem to be causing any excess battery drain anymore. My phone's been on for 28.5 hours and I still have 39% of battery left. The only thing I can think of that I've done differently is I've flashed back to the latest radios from Calkulin without flashing the "2.15_003" NV from this post. Now I'm seeing about 1.5% battery drain per hour in areas where I have good reception (like at home) and about 3% battery drain per hour in areas where I have poor reception (like at work). Right now I'm going to try the pokelock phone fix from here and see if that improves anything.

MizzouBrent

Feb 19, 2011
Olathe, KS
That's awesome. I flashed Calkulin's combo file and applied the phone fix as well. I guess maybe it doesn't like some of the old radios/PRI? At any rate, I'm happy. I will give it one more night to see how it does. I use my phone too much throughout the day to really monitor battery loss, so the only way I can really tell is if I get a lot of battery drain at night.

MizzouBrent

Feb 19, 2011
Olathe, KS
With the Vision driver, my battery drained bigtime overnight last night. Checking spare parts, my "Sensor Usage" for Google Maps was like 8 hrs, so I assume that was a wakelock of sorts. I just can't win with the Vision driver. I flashed the N39 Driver after doing the Sense fix and it seems to work ok.

galandy

Mar 4, 2009
New York, NY
New GPS drivers! v1.1

Here is an update to the Qualcomm Vision drivers. It's based on a newer revision of the drivers so they might perform better for some people. Working pretty well on my Evo. Any feedback?

The file is flashable from any recovery.

Attachments

• GPS_Supersonic_FIX_Flash3.zip
    177.5 KB · Views: 33,158

Zac95

Aug 27, 2010
Visalia CA
Here is an update to the Qualcomm Vision drivers. It's based on a newer revision of the drivers so they might perform better for some people. Working pretty well on my Evo. Any feedback?

Works great. The original fix worked great for me on decks 1.2 but when 1.2.1 came out it didnt work at all. This one gives fast fixes, highly accurate, and no high CPU usage. Thanks galandy!

Decks 1.2.1
Savaged Zen 2.2.1
HW 0003

Sent from my Xoom using XDA Premium App

Reactions: galandy

raphenucleus

Aug 1, 2010
Dallas, TX
No one has mentioned any problems with the latest Vision GPS driver, so I'm assuming no one's having any problems with it. Is that correct? I just installed it and it seems to work fine so far. I'll report back if I run into any issues.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Lately I've been seeing so many different threads about fixing GPS issues in AOSP / CM7 gingerbread roms (accuracy, lock time, etc). I couldn't find a central location with all the available fixes and drivers for the Evo, so here it is.

Drivers:
    • **NEW** - Qualcomm Vision GPS Driver v1.1 (recommended) - Updated fix with latest Qualcomm Vision driver, should be less buggy. Fast gps locks, very accurate, no wake locks, no 100% cpu. Thread HERE. Flashable zip HERE (thanks galandy)
    • Qualcomm Vision GPS Driver v1.0 - Original fix, uses leaked Vision gingerbread driver. Fast gps locks, very accurate, no wake locks, no 100% cpu. Thread HERE. Flashable zip HERE (thanks galandy)
    • KingdomROM GPS Driver - Custom combination of RADIO/PRI/NV/Wimax/GPS - Fixes GPS and wake locks. Thread HERE. Flashable zip HERE (thanks JBabey)
    • Cyanogen Mod Nightly 39 GPS Driver - Some people claim these drivers work better than the current ones provided by CM7. Thread HERE. Flashable zip HERE (thanks daryelv)
    • EVO Gingerbread GPS Driver - Driver from the official gingerbread update. Some people are having success with these on AOSP roms (but check for cpu usage, you might have wakelocks). Thread HERE and HERE (thanks itlnstln and JusticeAA). Flashable zip HERE (thanks galandy).

Workarounds / Other fixes
    • GPSCLRX Sense Workaround - Clear GPS corrupted stats from a Sense rom. Thread HERE (thanks SantinoInc)
    • AGPS Data Refresh - Fixes dropouts by applying the latest AGPS information. Thread HERE (thanks DFlame)

Report back, and let me know of other available fixes I could add here!
    New GPS drivers! v1.1

Oh yeah works great, but if you're on nightlies sucks to do every day. Lot of work to swap ROMs and double backups and such. Why I stick with the Qualcomm v1.1 driver from this page. Works great and takes seconds to do.

~Max
    This Message Sent From My CM7 HTC-Evo4G
    I don't believe this has been included in your original post, but this driver/fix worked well for me:

Original Post from MIUI Thread: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=13284558&postcount=9138

Followup Thread Explaining How To Use the Driver: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1114944
    **NEW** - Qualcomm Vision GPS Driver v1.1 (recommended)

worked for me on Team D.I.R.T | CM9 Port - 1.6 POOF!