[Q] Is my Desire Z dead forever?

Search This thread

savysb

Feb 14, 2009
Bucharest
www.savy.ro
I've read most of the topics already opened and none of them presents the same problem (there's one with a similar behavior but no solutions).

So, yesterday I was trying to install the latest KitKat http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=50259342 and for that I needed a recovery upgrade. I found a quick solution to flash cwm through emulator but being in a hurry, I input this command in terminal emulator:
dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p13
and rebooted into recovery to check the cwm version. The phone didn't restart and doesn't turn on, no matter what. I saw that the thread with the "flash cwm through terminal emulator" was for samsung, not htc...

Vol down + power - nothing.
Vol up + power - green light on after 4 vibrations
Vol up + vol down + power - orange light after a few vibrations.

Can I do something about this, or I can just go ahead and put a reply on this thread?

Last edited:

demkantor

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 10, 2011
mpls
Sorry but I doubt you will be able to fix your phone, even with JTAG as you flashed recovery partition to efs, even if you were to JTAG it and get it working this is a device specific partition and unless you have a backup for it you would not be able to get it to work as a phone again

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

savysb

Feb 14, 2009
Bucharest
www.savy.ro
Might've been dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18 or 32, I don't remember exactly since everything went dark in my head, along with the phone's screen.
I'm willing to give JTAG a tryout, it costs 30$ (a repair).

demkantor

Nov 10, 2011
mpls
Yeah I would assume it was something other than efs partition being I don't think would cause you from being able to boot but not willing to test to find out!
There are some partitions though that you can't get from flashing stock firmware but mat not be device specific so if you can figure out what was overwritten you may be able to have someone dd that partition for you
But if you can't recall for sure it may be tough. Either way you won't know until you get your phone JTAGed
Best of luck!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: savysb

demkantor

Nov 10, 2011
mpls
So you got it jtaged? I'm glad its working. Just read through this
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2348266
And I'm sure you'll keep your phone alive for a long time to come. And if you aren't sure about something, feel free to ask there as many knowledgeable and helpful people are monitoring that thread
Best of luck in the future!

Reactions: savysb

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yeah I would assume it was something other than efs partition being I don't think would cause you from being able to boot but not willing to test to find out!
    There are some partitions though that you can't get from flashing stock firmware but mat not be device specific so if you can figure out what was overwritten you may be able to have someone dd that partition for you
    But if you can't recall for sure it may be tough. Either way you won't know until you get your phone JTAGed
    Best of luck!

So you got it jtaged? I'm glad its working. Just read through this
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2348266
    And I'm sure you'll keep your phone alive for a long time to come. And if you aren't sure about something, feel free to ask there as many knowledgeable and helpful people are monitoring that thread
    Best of luck in the future!