Does the gear only work with the stock messaging app?

Search This thread

mike208

Jun 21, 2010
I was trying different text apps today and it appears after installing them I stopped getting text notifications on my gear. So I assume the gear requires the stock messaging app to receive the message son the gear?

jmorton10

Jul 1, 2008
Rochester, NY
I was trying different text apps today and it appears after installing them I stopped getting text notifications on my gear. So I assume the gear requires the stock messaging app to receive the message son the gear?

Unfortunately, that is correct.

I have always used & loved Handcent, but I realized pretty quickly that using Handcent disables all text notifications on the watch :(

mike208

Jun 21, 2010
Unfortunately, that is correct.

I have always used & loved Handcent, but I realized pretty quickly that using Handcent disables all text notifications on the watch :(

Yeah I tried textra again, but still can't get mms to work on it, so I went back to handcent. Thats a bummer, but the stock app has very little customization

Wrathlon

May 15, 2009
Yes, it appears you are correct. I use the Facebook Messanger app for SMS and it doesn't work. Really unfortunate.

It works happily alongside Tablet Talk. Tablet Talk and my Gear are both connected via bluetooth to my phone. Any time I get a text, it goes to both my Gear and my Tablet just fine.

parcou

Jun 7, 2008
TN
Darn!!! Took the wind out my question. I use handcent as well it has so many nice functional customizations I cannot go to the default messaging. Could any form of rooting the device open the door up for this or is it the app?

forty01

Mar 27, 2007
It works happily alongside Tablet Talk. Tablet Talk and my Gear are both connected via bluetooth to my phone. Any time I get a text, it goes to both my Gear and my Tablet just fine.

I tried using Tablet Talk 1.75 and it keeps craching on the Gear. What version are you using??? Thanks.

lopan2000

Jun 11, 2010
Go SMS works

I have Go SMS working... Go SMS is controlling the vibrate (so I can use custom vibration patterns), and I have it controlling the LED (change color and blink rate). Also when I press the "show on device" button on the Gear, it goes straight to Go SMS, not the stock messaging.

This is what I did...

I uninstalled Go SMS (I'm not sure if this is necessary), and reinstalled.

In the Go SMS :
In the "Notification Settings":
Enable Notifications --> checked.
In the Defualt notification settings:
Vibrate --> checked.
Blink LED -- checked.

In the "Other setting" menu:
Disable other message notification -- Un-checked

In the stock messaging app:
Under "More" tab:
Notifications --> checked
Select ringtone -- > set to "silent"
Vibrate --> Un-checked
Preview message --> checked.

Open the Application manager in the settings of the phone:
Swipe over to the "ALL" tab, and scroll down until you find the "Messages" app. Un-check "show notifications" This will prevent double notifications in the panel.

This should do it. When I received a text, the first time I clicked "show on device", the option popped up on the phone to select the default program between Go SMS and stock messaging. I clicked Go SMS, and set to "Always". Now it opens up Go SMS everytime.

Hope this helps some of you!

Reactions: avands and brojoe11

mutantblack

Sep 22, 2006
Tornados City
but your method only give you notification that you receive message but doesn't show any message content right?
What I need is able to read text message on gear just like the stock messaging app is. I miss using textra. :(

ih8unot

Apr 24, 2006
Baltimore
I tried using Tablet Talk 1.75 and it keeps craching on the Gear. What version are you using??? Thanks.

It works with my version as well, 1.9.4 but I just had some issues getting it to work after the latest gear manager update. Basically had to switch it to wifi and back to bletooth before it reconnected and was working again.

lopan2000

Jun 11, 2010
but your method only give you notification that you receive message but doesn't show any message content right?
What I need is able to read text message on gear just like the stock messaging app is. I miss using textra. :(

Using my method, the stock messaging app is still pushing the notifications to the gear (not Go SMS), so they come up the same, and you can read the message content, no problem.

almulder1092

Oct 11, 2013
Use ATN Manager 1.2.2

That seems to work with most apps that send notifications.

using it with Chomp SMS and it works great.

mike208

Jun 21, 2010
yes do what he said....works great.

I tried ATN and it didn't work for me at all. Posted in the thread for it, but no help as of yet.

I followed the instructions, installed the app, checked the box under security/notifications, selected the apps I wanted, most notably is textra. I sent myself several texts, as well as an email from my girlfriends phone and I did not get one notification on the watch

mike208

Jun 21, 2010
I have Go SMS working... Go SMS is controlling the vibrate (so I can use custom vibration patterns), and I have it controlling the LED (change color and blink rate). Also when I press the "show on device" button on the Gear, it goes straight to Go SMS, not the stock messaging.

This is what I did...

In the Go SMS :
Vibrate --> checked.
Blink LED -- checked.

Under "More" tab:
Vibrate --> Un-checked

Swipe over to the "ALL" tab, and scroll down until you find the "Messages" app. Un-check "show notifications" This will prevent double notifications in the panel.

This should do it. When I received a text, the first time I clicked "show on device", the option popped up on the phone to select the default program between Go SMS and stock messaging. I clicked Go SMS, and set to "Always". Now it opens up Go SMS everytime.

I didn't want to use Gosms, but for now it seems like the best bet. This worked perfectly for me. Thanks for the detailed breakdown

jmorton10

Jul 1, 2008
Rochester, NY
I tried ATN and it didn't work for me at all. Posted in the thread for it, but no help as of yet.

I followed the instructions, installed the app, checked the box under security/notifications, selected the apps I wanted, most notably is textra. I sent myself several texts, as well as an email from my girlfriends phone and I did not get one notification on the watch

Same here

Novarider

Jul 20, 2010

This is what I did...

In the Go SMS :
Vibrate --> checked.
Blink LED -- checked.

Under "More" tab:
Vibrate --> Un-checked

This worked for me except when I click "show on device" it opens the stock app.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Go SMS works

This is what I did...

In the Go SMS :
    Vibrate --> checked.
    Blink LED -- checked.

Under "More" tab:
    Vibrate --> Un-checked