[Guide] Make Your Own Bootanimations

Search This thread

dased14

Dec 27, 2010
cincy,ohio
Ok, So the very helpful and talented people(hope to be one someday) here in the Themes and Apps section have decided to put together a little learning annex for those that wish to learn.

So in this class we will learn how to put together our own bootanimation.
(There will be no request taking in this thread,none (I have a thread for that and I will still add to and take request in). I will Help if you have problems only and if your a grammer and puctuation and probably spelling nazi PISS OFF )

For starters we need a few supplies for this class(i will link as many as i can)

1) a movie editing program(i use windows live movie maker)

2) Gimp (press for dl link) or photshop(if using gimp i would dl David's batch processor as well)

3) Irfanview for extracting to individual frames

4) Notepad++ for make the desc

5) 7zip for zipping our animation

6)Bootanimtion previewer (by despotovski01 ) pretty cool it also plays sound as well

CHARPTER 1

so to start we need a clip(youtube is full of'em). after we find and save the clip we want to use, we open it in the movie editing program and we need to edit it so that it runs the way we would like it to, and sometimes we may need to edit for lenght(i stay under 40 seconds).
Ok now we have it running the way we want and it's at the perfect lenght now we save it. OK we have it all saved and sitting in a nice new folder,now we open Irfanview and we open the file we have saved and then we press options and then extract all frame[/IMG]
Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG] make a new folder and save
(i do it this way cause after its done all frames are numbered as well as extracted)
Now that we have all the frames extracted we move on to editing the frames(i use PS to remove the boarders cause it has an easier batch crop) but not everyone has photoshop, so we'll do it the gimp way. Depending on the amount of frames your clip has this may take awhile, so open up a few frames and go to image and press auto crop( after the first frame you can press ctrl f to repeat for every frame }boom boarder gone!)so we have all the frames boarderless now we open David's Batch Processer(this will resize,rotate (if you want landscape)and save frames as jpeg or png[/IMG]
Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG] so first thing we do is press input and pick our boarderless frames,then turn if you want it in landscape(skip if you dont),next is resize [/IMG]
Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]as you can see check the ones in red, and as for size I use half the screen size(evo 3d 540x960=270x480. can be changed for other phones),next is the rename, here i like to create a new folder inside the folder that holds the frames we are using, and last is the saved image type(must open or it will save all frames as bmp) i like to save as jpeg because it helps keep the file size down, but you can use png.

Now we have all the frames edited so when we go into the folder it will be filled with the original frames and the folder we created with all the edited frames we are going to use,open the folder we created in David's Batch, now we have to make the folders that hold all the frames for the bootanimation(my rule is no more than 200 frames per folder) so look at your frame count and add new folders accordingly as we create those folders we need to name them I'm a fan of Part0,Part1 etc...
Ok we now have all the frames in their cozy little folders with pretty names, correct?

Now we'll add the desc this is where Notepad++ comes into play for this little project. Now you can do this two ways (1) you can use one from another bootanimation and edit it or (2) you can just write your own(we're going with opition B) So open Notepad++, in line 1 we write the size to be played at(again evo 3d 540x960) next is the speed (depends?) press enter, then we put P(lower case,i think thats for play) the 1(for play through once) then 0(no pause) press enter and we do that for every folder(note* if you want the last folder to loop you would write p 0 0 Part__){that first 0 is what makes the folder loop until phone boot up} NOW after we have a line for every folder we press enter(Thats a must)[/IMG]
Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG] and when its all wrote up save it and copy it to our animation folder so it should look like this. *Example*[/IMG]
Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Now you will want to zip it up so open 7zip and go to your animation folder highlight all inside and press add [/IMG]
Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG] and it will open a pop box like the "Example". Name your file Sprint_bootanimtion(it will add the zip part when saving) and in compression level set it to store(major cause of the black screen if not done) and press enter. now you can run your newly make bootanimation in the previewer mentioned above or you can use root explorer (or es file explorer)to install, either way moving along.

have a few things to do will finish this up a little later:D

Last edited:

dased14

Dec 27, 2010
cincy,ohio
ok so now you have a killer custom made bootanimation made by you and you want sound maybe?
To get sound(on most sense based roms) you will need the rom of your choice and you need to locate the default.xml
pretty easy to find just unzip rom and goto system/customize/CID
pull the default.xml and open with notepad++(link up there ^^^^)
then you need to scroll down and find this line
<BootAnimation animation="/system/customize/resource/Sprint_bootanimation.zip" /> and change it to this

<BootAnimation animation="/system/customize/resource/Sprint_bootanimation.zip" audio="/system/customize/resource/android_audio.mp3" /> (notice the change in blue you can name anything you like) save your changes and there are a few ways to move to phone

1.) adb = cd to where you have adb on pc and type in this adb push (drag file) system/customize/CID(must be caps) (hit enter)
2.) you can place on sdcard and using the file explorer of your choice copy to system/customize/CID (rename the og one to something like default.bak.xml or delete) and reboot
3.) or make it flashable along with the animation and sound(must have folder set up and named correctly)

and this also works for adding sound to downanimations just change this line:

<ShutdownAnimation image_png="/system/customize/resource/Sprint_downanimation.zip" image="" fps="15" />

to this and save

<ShutdownAnimation image_png="/system/customize/resource/Sprint_downanimation.zip" audio="/system/customize/resource/audio_out.mp3" image="" fps="15" />

and enjoy

(as always I or XDA,god,the government or space aliens are NOT responsible if you brick,bootloop,get smacked or get your ass kicked by some crazy ass person cause you wanted to show off the new animation that you made and added sound too.)

Last edited:

Max_Pain

Oct 29, 2006
Miami, FL
In before anyone else!
I can also help with boot animations.

Will make suggestions after you finish your guide.

Sent from my Evo 3D on MetroPCS 3G!

Reactions: dased14

dased14

Dec 27, 2010
cincy,ohio
ok i have this some what put together(and it still may change some over time) i will continue with making them flashable later. i probably went a little over board with the pics(first guide, so oh well) now the wife is yelling at me so agian i will finish later and i may make a few revisions.

pstevep

Retired Senior Mod / Inactive Recognized Themer
Aug 31, 2010
A place just beyond throwing distance
im a punctuation. nazi.

in the way that i despise it. and use it whenever and where ever i want.

but seriously. this does look really good. i will be linking in the theme guide, once i starting linking all of the guides.. thanks for the good work man..;)

Reactions: dased14

w0rdOo

Feb 1, 2011
Detroit
This thread is awesome!! Thank you so much for writing this dazed!!!! Just made my first boot animation; edited Synergy's bootanimation to blue instead of green ^^

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok, So the very helpful and talented people(hope to be one someday) here in the Themes and Apps section have decided to put together a little learning annex for those that wish to learn.

So in this class we will learn how to put together our own bootanimation.
    (There will be no request taking in this thread,none (I have a thread for that and I will still add to and take request in). I will Help if you have problems only and if your a grammer and puctuation and probably spelling nazi PISS OFF )

For starters we need a few supplies for this class(i will link as many as i can)

1) a movie editing program(i use windows live movie maker)

2) Gimp (press for dl link) or photshop(if using gimp i would dl David's batch processor as well)

3) Irfanview for extracting to individual frames

4) Notepad++ for make the desc

5) 7zip for zipping our animation

6)Bootanimtion previewer (by despotovski01 ) pretty cool it also plays sound as well

CHARPTER 1

so to start we need a clip(youtube is full of'em). after we find and save the clip we want to use, we open it in the movie editing program and we need to edit it so that it runs the way we would like it to, and sometimes we may need to edit for lenght(i stay under 40 seconds).
    Ok now we have it running the way we want and it's at the perfect lenght now we save it. OK we have it all saved and sitting in a nice new folder,now we open Irfanview and we open the file we have saved and then we press options and then extract all frame[/IMG]
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG] make a new folder and save
    (i do it this way cause after its done all frames are numbered as well as extracted)
    Now that we have all the frames extracted we move on to editing the frames(i use PS to remove the boarders cause it has an easier batch crop) but not everyone has photoshop, so we'll do it the gimp way. Depending on the amount of frames your clip has this may take awhile, so open up a few frames and go to image and press auto crop( after the first frame you can press ctrl f to repeat for every frame }boom boarder gone!)so we have all the frames boarderless now we open David's Batch Processer(this will resize,rotate (if you want landscape)and save frames as jpeg or png[/IMG]
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG] so first thing we do is press input and pick our boarderless frames,then turn if you want it in landscape(skip if you dont),next is resize [/IMG]
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]as you can see check the ones in red, and as for size I use half the screen size(evo 3d 540x960=270x480. can be changed for other phones),next is the rename, here i like to create a new folder inside the folder that holds the frames we are using, and last is the saved image type(must open or it will save all frames as bmp) i like to save as jpeg because it helps keep the file size down, but you can use png.

Now we have all the frames edited so when we go into the folder it will be filled with the original frames and the folder we created with all the edited frames we are going to use,open the folder we created in David's Batch, now we have to make the folders that hold all the frames for the bootanimation(my rule is no more than 200 frames per folder) so look at your frame count and add new folders accordingly as we create those folders we need to name them I'm a fan of Part0,Part1 etc...
    Ok we now have all the frames in their cozy little folders with pretty names, correct?

Now we'll add the desc this is where Notepad++ comes into play for this little project. Now you can do this two ways (1) you can use one from another bootanimation and edit it or (2) you can just write your own(we're going with opition B) So open Notepad++, in line 1 we write the size to be played at(again evo 3d 540x960) next is the speed (depends?) press enter, then we put P(lower case,i think thats for play) the 1(for play through once) then 0(no pause) press enter and we do that for every folder(note* if you want the last folder to loop you would write p 0 0 Part__){that first 0 is what makes the folder loop until phone boot up} NOW after we have a line for every folder we press enter(Thats a must)[/IMG]
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG] and when its all wrote up save it and copy it to our animation folder so it should look like this. *Example*[/IMG]
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Now you will want to zip it up so open 7zip and go to your animation folder highlight all inside and press add [/IMG]
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG] and it will open a pop box like the "Example". Name your file Sprint_bootanimtion(it will add the zip part when saving) and in compression level set it to store(major cause of the black screen if not done) and press enter. now you can run your newly make bootanimation in the previewer mentioned above or you can use root explorer (or es file explorer)to install, either way moving along.

have a few things to do will finish this up a little later:D
    ok so now you have a killer custom made bootanimation made by you and you want sound maybe?
    To get sound(on most sense based roms) you will need the rom of your choice and you need to locate the default.xml
    pretty easy to find just unzip rom and goto system/customize/CID
    pull the default.xml and open with notepad++(link up there ^^^^)
    then you need to scroll down and find this line
    <BootAnimation animation="/system/customize/resource/Sprint_bootanimation.zip" /> and change it to this

<BootAnimation animation="/system/customize/resource/Sprint_bootanimation.zip" audio="/system/customize/resource/android_audio.mp3" /> (notice the change in blue you can name anything you like) save your changes and there are a few ways to move to phone

1.) adb = cd to where you have adb on pc and type in this adb push (drag file) system/customize/CID(must be caps) (hit enter)
    2.) you can place on sdcard and using the file explorer of your choice copy to system/customize/CID (rename the og one to something like default.bak.xml or delete) and reboot
    3.) or make it flashable along with the animation and sound(must have folder set up and named correctly)

and this also works for adding sound to downanimations just change this line:

<ShutdownAnimation image_png="/system/customize/resource/Sprint_downanimation.zip" image="" fps="15" />

to this and save

<ShutdownAnimation image_png="/system/customize/resource/Sprint_downanimation.zip" audio="/system/customize/resource/audio_out.mp3" image="" fps="15" />

and enjoy

(as always I or XDA,god,the government or space aliens are NOT responsible if you brick,bootloop,get smacked or get your ass kicked by some crazy ass person cause you wanted to show off the new animation that you made and added sound too.)
    One more question. How do you extract the audio from a YouTube clip to use it with the boot animation

Sent from my PG86100 using xda premium

I use audacity

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
    Because I'm absent minded?

Or more probably got too much going on ;)

It's all good, we still got love for ya Steve.

Recognized " Bad Seed "
    cheers for this its kept me very busy, just one problem ive got with my bootanimation is that every time it loops i get a flash of white, is this the image or have done somthing wrong, appreciate the help

Recheck your images too see if there is a white one or check desc to make sure you didnt add a pause in the play back

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2