[GUIDE]Where to Find the Kernel Source Code for Your Device[6-20-14]

Search This thread

shimp208

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jan 25, 2011
Boston
Shimp208's Guide to Finding the Kernel Source Code for your Device​

Introduction

I see a lot of people asking how to start make custom kernels (This is well beyond the scope of this guide, for a great introduction check out Building Your First Kernel), or I want to port CM, AOKP, AOSP, etc. to my device. Well that great except you can’t begin to make a custom kernel or truly port CM, AOKP, AOSP, etc. without the appropriate kernel source code for your device. The following list tells you where you can find the kernel source code (Among other bits and pieces of code essential to development) for your device based on your manufacturer, as well as some other places to look for kernel sources.

Please Note: Not all manufactures release their kernel sources, and not all kernel sources are released for every device

Manufactures

LG

* Under category select mobile phones and hit the search button located to the right, optionally you can enter in a model number to search for.

HTC

* You can easily find what you’re looking for by using the filters, for device, carrier, region, and android version. You will also find some useful files here besides kernel source code.

Samsung

* The easiest way to find your device is to use the search box and search for your devices model number.

Motorola

* Contains some devices kernel source code as well as many device specific proprietary files.

Kyocera

* Small selection of kernel source code in addition to some other code.

Sony (Ericsson)

* Variety of kernel sources and some interesting release notes documents

Google

* Very large selection of kernel sources for Google devices as well as tons of other hardware specific files.

Pantech

* You have to sign-up and create an account (Don’t worry it’s free and easy) before you can download the kernel sources. You can use the list on your left to quickly scroll through the available devices to find the one you are looking for.

ZTE

* Random of assortment of kernel sources, software updates, and pieces of code for ZTE devices. Note, the second link requires you to register for an account which gives you further access but requires you to wait a day of two for your account to be approved.

Asus

* You can either preform a model name search to find your device or press the select model manually and select if from the list. Common product model families for Android include Eee Pad (Select under Eee Family) and PadFone (In Handheld and Navigation, under Mobile Phone, then PadFone series). It includes everything from kernel source, firmware, USB drivers, and manuals.

Acer

* Includes kernel source for some phones and tablets. To find your device click on the link that says select a product model if your device is a smartphone select smart handheld then select your device model. If your device is a tablet select tablet from the family of products list then select your device model.

Archos

* Includes the kernel source code for many of Archos tablets from several generations of products, as well as firmware and other experimental software for the tablet.

Dell

* Kernel source for many of Dell's Android devices as well as some additional patches, and driver files.

Huawei

* Kernel source for many of Huawei's devices both phones and tablets, also includes platform code, firmware, and some user manuals, you can scroll through the available software by hitting the *more* button at the bottom of the page

Alcatel

* Kernel source as well as other files for development of Alcatel branded devices

Other Resources​

Qualcomm

* Great resource for finding the kernel source code of many Qualcomm chipsets.

Amlogic

* Contains kernel source code for devices based on the Amlogic 6236M(sz/sh), 7266M(sz/sh), 8226M(dvbc), or 8726M chipsets.

Allwinner

*Wide range of development resources from kernel source, to tools, and lots of other information for devices based on the Allwinner platform

I hope the information in this guide helped you out :)

A Note On Mediatek (MTK) Sources

While Mediatek sources are not officially available except through third-party repositories (Usually github) or some manufactures websites, Mediatek is taking steps to be more open source and GPL compliant with the release of MediaTek Labs. You can sign up for and stay up to date on MediaTek's efforts by signing up for MediaTek Lab's here.

Huge thanks to POORCOLLEGEGUY and all the other XDA writers for featuring this on the portal on October 2, 2012!

Last edited:

thatsgamer

Aug 30, 2012
Pune
Please find source for Micromax Devices!

Shimp208's Guide to Finding the Kernel Source Code for your Device​

Introduction

I see a lot of people asking how to start make custom kernels (This is well beyond the scope of this guide, for a great introduction check out Building Your First Kernel), or I want to port CM, AOKP, AOSP, etc. to my device. Well that great except you can’t begin to make a custom kernel or truly port CM, AOKP, AOSP, etc. without the appropriate kernel source code for your device. The following list tells you where you can find the kernel source code (Among other bits and pieces of code essential to development) for your device based on your manufacturer, as well as some other places to look for kernel sources.

Please Note: Not all manufactures release their kernel sources, and not all kernel sources are released for every device

Manufactures

LG

* Under category select mobile phones and hit the search button located to the right, optionally you can enter in a model number to search for.

HTC

* You can easily find what you’re looking for by using the filters, for device, carrier, region, and android version. You will also find some useful files here besides kernel source code.

Samsung

* The easiest way to find your device is to use the search box and search for your devices model number.

Motorola

* Contains some devices kernel source code as well as many device specific proprietary files.

Kyocera

* Small selection of kernel source code in addition to some other code.

Sony (Ericsson)

* Variety of kernel sources and some interesting release notes documents

Google

* Very large selection of kernel sources for Google devices as well as tons of other hardware specific files.

Pantech

* You have to sign-up and create an account (Don’t worry it’s free and easy) before you can download the kernel sources. You can use the list on your left to quickly scroll through the available devices to find the one you are looking for.

ZTE

* Random of assortment of kernel sources, software updates, and pieces of code for ZTE devices. Note, the second link requires you to register for an account which gives you further access but requires you to wait a day of two for your account to be approved.

Asus

* You can either preform a model name search to find your device or press the select model manually and select if from the list. Common product model families for Android include Eee Pad (Select under Eee Family) and PadFone (In Handheld and Navigation, under Mobile Phone, then PadFone series). It includes everything from kernel source, firmware, USB drivers, and manuals.

Acer

* Includes kernel source for some phones and tablets. To find your device click on the link that says select a product model if your device is a smartphone select smart handheld then select your device model. If your device is a tablet select tablet from the family of products list then select your device model.

Archos

* Includes the kernel source code for many of Archos tablets from several generations of products, as well as firmware and other experimental software for the tablet.

Other Resources​

Qualcomm

* Great resource for finding the kernel source code of many Qualcomm chipsets.

Amlogic

*Contains kernel source code for devices based on the Amlogic 6236M(sz/sh), 7266M(sz/sh), 8226M(dvbc), or 8726M chipsets.

I hope the information in this guide helped you out :)

Please Give me the source for Micromax Devices (I do have Funbook Pro (P500))

Sep 19, 2012
Kolkata
technosphere.tk
Please Give me the source for Micromax Devices (I do have Funbook Pro (P500))

I wasn't able to find the source for Micromax devices and from what I have read they don't seem to release there kernel source :(. I suppose you could try contacting them about it if you wanted to.

Micromax uses qualcomm chipsets. You can find their kernel here. Just look at your device's build.prop for ro.product.board. For example, my Micromax A57 uses msm7627a chipset.

shimp208

Jan 25, 2011
Boston
Nice find I didn't realize that micromax used qualcomm I have that link in the op though already. Still great find though :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium

xtcdj15

Oct 2, 2012
Mediatek

Any kernel sources publicly available for Mediatek SOCs MT(K) 6575 6577 6583 6588 ? I couldn't find anything :( Is Mediatek open source friendly ?

PS: I ask this because I consider buying a dual sim dual active android phone and best bang for the buck seems to be offered by MT6577 devices like ZTE Grand X (V970), Huawei Ascend G500 (U8836D,U8832D) and many other chinese phones.
Also, devices based on MT658x started appearing on the market too.

shimp208

Jan 25, 2011
Boston
Any kernel sources publicly available for Mediatek SOCs MT(K) 6575 6577 6583 6588 ? I couldn't find anything :( Is Mediatek open source friendly ?

PS: I ask this because I consider buying a dual sim dual active android phone and best bang for the buck seems to be offered by MT6577 devices like ZTE Grand X (V970), Huawei Ascend G500 (U8836D,U8832D) and many other chinese phones.
Also, devices based on MT658x started appearing on the market too.

It seems Mediatek is not that open source friendly, the small bits and pieces I could find on Mediatek SOC's were long outdated or really incomplete sources.

dexter.kors

Oct 1, 2012
i want mediatek kernel please help me...i have new cloned phone and its touch stopped working...please help me so i can flash it with odin and update a new rom...

xtcdj15

Oct 2, 2012
Mediatek

It seems Mediatek is not that open source friendly, the small bits and pieces I could find on Mediatek SOC's were long outdated or really incomplete sources.

Damn :(

I found few customized roms for Mediatek based phones....but virualy all of them use stock unmodified kernels form manufacturers.

Did any developer (interested in Mediatek based phones) tried to contact Mediatek regarding support policy for their SOCs ? The strange thing is that, although most mediatek based phones target Asia (China, India, etc), virtually all asian developers around xda-forum seems to target high end international phone models based on more widely spread SOCs. I wonder if this is related to poor SOC support from Mediatek or just poor phones quality. Probably first one :).

---------- Post added at 01:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 PM ----------

When I'll have enough posts to be able to post in devel section of the forum I'll try to contact Bruno Martin ( bgcngm ), the guy who released customized roms for both ZTE V970 and Huawei U8836D, maybe he have more details about Mediatek and this 2 phones.

Top Liked Posts