Wait for G3 or go with HTC One M8

Search This thread

|EverybodyLies|

Feb 19, 2011
Seville
I am also trying to decide between these two and it's being a hard decision. To me, the M8 has better design and build quality but the screen feels smallish and I'm not too sure about the camera. On the other hand G3 has a gorgeous screen (not only the resolution, in the videos I've seen it has much vivid colors) and a better camera but they say battery life is not as good as current flagships.
Another big selling point to me is software. I need dev support in a phone. I love PA, AOKP, PAC... I've seen the M8 already has the main ROMs ported and a bunch of nice Sense ones, as for the G3 remains to be seen. Anyhow I actually like the approach LG is taking with this new UI but I'd like to make some modifications like separate toggles and notifications and such.
So, what do you guys think I should get?

|EverybodyLies|

Feb 19, 2011
Seville
If you want immediate dev activity, then its easy, the M8

totally unknown if and how long it will take for any domestic G3 to be bootloader unlocked so roms can be flashed...

Well, I don't need it immediate. I understand porting/creating a ROM or unlocking a bootloader is not a overnight process, but I've been wandering at the G2 forums, which was released 8 months ago, and there is not much variety. The G Flex forum didn't get AOSP so far and so on. I don't mind holding to OEM for a couple of months, but I love tweaking and not having that is a deal breaker. So I am kind of scared of getting the phone and not getting [enought] dev support.

I understand that you can't predict how much dev support a phone will get, but maybe someone can estimate.

As an example: I currently have a SGS2 and I am very happy with the amount of ROMs this device got.

Thanks for your answer.

wase4711

May 9, 2010
Outside of Phoenix, AZ
Well, I don't need it immediate. I understand porting/creating a ROM or unlocking a bootloader is not a overnight process, but I've been wandering at the G2 forums, which was released 8 months ago, and there is not much variety. The G Flex forum didn't get AOSP so far and so on. I don't mind holding to OEM for a couple of months, but I love tweaking and not having that is a deal breaker. So I am kind of scared of getting the phone and not getting [enought] dev support.

I understand that you can't predict how much dev support a phone will get, but maybe someone can estimate.

As an example: I currently have a SGS2 and I am very happy with the amount of ROMs this device got.

Thanks for your answer.
the SGS2 was an easy phone to unlock and dev roms for; it didnt have any of the security that the recent releases have, so dont expect many phones going forward, except for international versions, to be easy to root/unlock/dev for..

LG and the domestic carriers pretty much are going the same route of Samsung/Knox, so dont be surprised if it takes months, if ever, before there is alot of dev for the G3.

My flex still doesn't have any dev on it yet, although there seems to be a little progress recently, and its been out since January, if that tells you anything.

Reactions: |EverybodyLies|

|EverybodyLies|

Feb 19, 2011
Seville
the SGS2 was an easy phone to unlock and dev roms for; it didnt have any of the security that the recent releases have, so dont expect many phones going forward, except for international versions, to be easy to root/unlock/dev for..

LG and the domestic carriers pretty much are going the same route of Samsung/Knox, so dont be surprised if it takes months, if ever, before there is alot of dev for the G3.

My flex still doesn't have any dev on it yet, although there seems to be a little progress recently, and its been out since January, if that tells you anything.

Thanks very much, that was the exact kind of input I has hoping for.

So, looks like the M8 then, which is a pity because I really really liked this phone. So I guess that also means no root access since when I rooted my GS2 I had to flash a kernel, CWM and the su binary, am I right?

All the best.

Reactions: wase4711

wase4711

May 9, 2010
Outside of Phoenix, AZ
well root is a little easier to achieve, so you could do some modding with Xposed and stuff, but, for custom recovery and kernel/ rom, its quite a bit more involved.

my son and wife, who like their G2's now, dont care about rooting/roms, so they will probably want G3's; I will probably end up with an M8, a Sony Z2s, or see what is out in August when we get new phones.I really like Sense 6, and the Boom sound the M8 has, so that might be my choice.

Reactions: |EverybodyLies|

papaketchup

Sep 29, 2013
Northridge
I was on the same situation last week but I got chosen as a winner for the LG Beta and I just went with it. Hey it saved me $700 XD

But I was supposed to go with the HTC One M8 because of simplicity and build quality.

Last edited:

mwatson

Oct 16, 2007
Basingstoke
People say the G3 camera is better than the M8, but I've not seen any real world samples. Sure there are some shots online of landscapes, buildings and objects in good light that look great, but when it comes to shooting in more realistic situations like in a bar, or your kids doing funny things, how good will this camera be? The M8 despite its low res performs great in the situations I've just mentioned. I had to sell my G2 because of crap real life pics. Might be worth ordering from Amazon to try it out. You have a 28 day return option given chance to compare.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just download the apk to your S5 and then transfer it over and install it on the G3. It will be located in /data/app on your S5.

Sent from my VK810 4G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

help please... I have not yet root my GS5 or G3, does the phone have to be root in order to see the apk?
    I have onenote and office365 on my GS5 but can not see the apks in /data/app, my /data folder does not show the app folder.

FIXED: I used ontheflybackup from another phone, it exported the apk to sd card and then installed on my G3, all is good, I get to keep this great phone
    Get the G3. I have the M8. Its not much of an upgrade over the M7. Its bigger, has a worse design (in my opinion), a slightly larger screen (but lower PPI) and slightly better speakers. The main advantages are the solid battery life and the Snapdragon 801. But the camera is still not very good.

The G3 has 3GB RAM, a Quad HD screen, 13MP camera with OIS+ and LaserFocus, a larger removable battery and despite it having a larger screen, its footprint is nearly the same as smaller screened smartphones such as the S5, M8 and Z2. Plus I think the new Optimus UI on the G3, is the most attractive UI outside of stock Android. Better than Touchwiz, Sense and Timescape.

I had the M8 for three days, sold it and got the G3, the G3 is so much better in so many ways.
    If you want immediate dev activity, then its easy, the M8

totally unknown if and how long it will take for any domestic G3 to be bootloader unlocked so roms can be flashed...

Thanks for your answer.

Thanks very much, that was the exact kind of input I has hoping for.

So, looks like the M8 then, which is a pity because I really really liked this phone. So I guess that also means no root access since when I rooted my GS2 I had to flash a kernel, CWM and the su binary, am I right?

All the best.