[Q] No admin rights - help

Search This thread

korky0429

Nov 3, 2012
Cleveland
I have no admin right to get to disk manager, users and account and anything that requires admin rights. When I try to start something with admin rights I get an error "This file does not have a program associated with it performing this action..."

I lost rights as soon as I deleted my D drive (after restart) which contained programs and personal files. My E drive is a clone on D but I cannot rename E to be the new D drive since I don't have admin rights.

I have tried searching everywhere and couldn't come up with a solution

dipanshu_cool

Feb 27, 2014
jalandhar
U can try one thing but not sure if it would work
Open cmd
type net user xyz
where xyz is name of ur pc
This command is used to add a user acc
If it doesnt work for you then u can try this one net user xyz where xyz is any name
this will lead to creation of new user acc and then login with this username
well do it at your own risk
Hope it works
Sent from my GT-S7500 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
... you do realize that adding a user account also requires Admin, right?

A better bet is to actually log in as the Admin account. This *should* be possible if you use the recovery console (on Win7 and down you could do it from Safe Mode even if the Admin account was disabled, but I think they removed that from Win8 as a security threat).

There are progressively sillier other ways I know of to fix things, such as extracting the computer's hard drive/SSD (assuming it's removable) and editing it using another computer, but there really should be a way to fix the problem. Given what you said, I'm actually kind of shocked you can still sign into your PC as is.

Out of curiosity, what on earth possessed you to delete an in-use drive? That's... um, well, it's like one of those jokes about boneheaded tech support calls. At least you backed it up first...?