[Q] i9000 asking for password after update to gingerbread - won't boot

Search This thread

ilan354

Aug 16, 2010
Hi,
I am a rather experienced user when it comes to flashing/using odin and I had successfully updated to JVK from JV1 and had been using it for a few days. I decided I wanted to use a ROM now, so I went to http://romkitchen.org/beta/ and downloaded a no-wipe rom. I was already rooted but needed CWM so I flashed the new version of CF-Root. Everything worked fine so I used CWM to flash the rom. It started an endless boot cycle (Just the galaxy s i9000 words over and over again) so I decided to just repartition and flash JVK with Odin again as I had a backup and wouldn't lose anything. That worked normally but once the phone started restarting (before it got to any boot image) it went to a password entry box. These were the exact same files that I had used to to flash gingerbread before and I have never had this happen to me before. The only physical button that does anything is the menu button which dims the screen. Pulling out the battery/restarting/reflashing JVK or JV1 doesn't help. Froyo (JS5) does work though so I am using that now. I have tried 3 different versions of Odin, going to JV1 then JVK, different .pit downloads, bootloader and non bootloader version of JVK, none of them make a difference, always the password. I have tried all my passwords, and none of them work.
Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3891.jpg
    IMG_3891.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 829

diskey

Oct 18, 2010
I have the same problem. Tried a lot of variants without any luck. Currently running JPU instead.

I've started to wonder if the phone is actually asking for a unlock code, as if the phone was locked to specific operator. But anyway there is a digit code you can check if your phone is locked, and mine is not.

Please anyone know how to work around this and what is causing this password prompt?

Rooting or putting a modded kernel on jvk does not help either, still asks for password.

azzledazzle

Dec 12, 2010
XDA Sucks !
First of all try 'samfirmware.com' as the password, may be a long shot but maybe the rom originally came from there.

if that doesnt work, i would send doc or stefunel a PM (or check thread) incase some one else has had this issue, they may no the password considering it was downloaded from their kitchen.

GMH24

Dec 7, 2010
Did you try some common pre-set passwords on electronic devices like '0000' or '1234' ? Maybe this is just something like on a dvb receiver...

Sounds unlikely but since you've tried the 'normal' ways...

PAGOT

Dec 24, 2007
BUT AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!
no idea if it will even work

hacksome said:
FIX for anyone having "Confirm Password" issue on Boot:-

1) Just enter some wrong password multiple times
2) Then a Warning message will appear telling you it will remove all SD Card data
3) Type something wrong again!
4) Let the SD Card get wiped.
5) Then the system will bootup properly next time.
I just did one more *2767*3855# Full wipe after bootup.

link to the original poster http://goo.gl/hyzin not sure it will work

lcoppa

Dec 21, 2010
It works

Thanks Pagot, that worked and didn't erase my internal SD card (I have no external one).

S39

Aug 14, 2010
just enter many wrong password it'll no erase your internal or externe sd card
Tested on JVO

Fallen04

Nov 29, 2010
Wellington
It Works

Had installed deodexed JVP(2.3.4) via CWM, decided to reset and erase the internal SD card. Got the dreaded confirm password on boot, typed in the wrong password multiple times, the phone rebooted, internal SD card was formatted.

rigocalin

Sep 5, 2009
Timisoara
Could that be the encryption password!!???

I was testing my device against a MDM (Mobile device management) system called Afaria, where I work and have enabled encryption in the policy applied to the device. When I got the enter password dialog box I entered the encryption password and the device accepted the password... :)

Last edited:

McAwesome

May 11, 2012
Very helpful thank you. Worked for me on my Infuse. Took about thirty tries and waiting through about 4-5 30 second timeouts for incorrect password but finally said it would wipe data in accordance with security policy and bam back up running Entropy's DD deodexed and rooted. Thanks fellas. You guys sure helped a noob out.

TotallydubbedHD

Dec 7, 2010
London
www.youtube.com
Thought to update:
Worked for me too - happened every now and then on my lost EFS'ed i9000, as I was trying to install different roms.
Entering it wrong enough times wiped the sd card (that I could careless about)

Cheers!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    BUT AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!
    no idea if it will even work

hacksome said:
    FIX for anyone having "Confirm Password" issue on Boot:-

1) Just enter some wrong password multiple times
    2) Then a Warning message will appear telling you it will remove all SD Card data
    3) Type something wrong again!
    4) Let the SD Card get wiped.
    5) Then the system will bootup properly next time.
    I just did one more *2767*3855# Full wipe after bootup.

link to the original poster http://goo.gl/hyzin not sure it will work