[TOOL] XOOT 1.1: Root your XOOM and more!

Search This thread

epic118

Dec 29, 2010
Nottingham
PLEASE READ
Cornea, the universal toolkit tool I promised following XOOT's discontinuation, has been released! It's free, and tons better. Please check it out rather than downloading XOOT. Click here to go to the thread page. Thanks.

(XOOT will still be available for download if you want it for whatever reason.

Bugs
XP not supported properly. This will not be fixed. It has been fixed in the new version of XOOT, Cornea.

Changelog
1.1 (CURRENT VERSION)
XP x86 compatibility! (not working) :p
Compressed file changed from RAR to ZIP so that users don't need WinRAR or equivalent to extract XOOT

Initial release of XOOT

Sorry that this isn't in Android Development, I have less than 10 posts and I can't wait to share this...

XOOT is the easiest tool you can use to root your XOOM! It works for XP 32bit, Vista, 7 and 8 flawlessly. In fact, it does more than root. Here's the grand list:

• Bootloader lock/unlock (WIPES DATA)
  • Root your XOOM (thanks solarnz)
  • Convert from a region XOOM to a GED XOOM
  • Flash non-flashable boot animations
  • Includes ADB and FASTBOOT for all your Android developing needs!
  • Brick your device if you are ruthless and unplug it during the progress.

HONG KONG USERS SHOULD STAY AWAY. PLEASE?
    IF YOU'VE DONE OTA UPDATES READ THE POST ON THE SECOND PAGE ABOUT THE GREEN ANDROID OF DEATH.

XOOM ADB drivers are required to benefit from XOOT! Please download them and install.

Hope you guys benefit from this. It definitely works because I used it to root, flash recovery, unlock bootloader and flash boot animations.

If you're amazing at ADB, try adding more commands! All ya need is a bit of batch programming experience. If you plan to just use this and enjoy, OK! Just open and go!

FAQ included in the ZIP.

Please read: Now that XP compatibility has been added, XOOT is harder (but still easy) to open.
If you are running XOOT on Windows XP or Server 2003, rename choice_xp.exe to choice.exe. Then proceed.
If you are using XOOT on a version higher than XP, open XOOT.bat without renaming Choice_XP.exe

Have fun with your XOOM!
PLEASE NOTE THAT I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY ISSUES CAUSED
~Epic118

Attachments

• XOOT.zip
    5.2 MB · Views: 5,696
Last edited:

epic118

Dec 29, 2010
Nottingham
Region/GED Xooms

A region XOOM is one that's not in the US. It may have changes made by Motorola, and get updates slower. This is why UK Xooms have SD card read/write officially.

A GED XOOM is a XOOM that's in the US. It's known as a Google Experience Device, and cannot be modified my Motorola. This is why US Xooms have SD card readonly officially - they are not allowed to add the hacked mod to enable write.

I read this on a website. Sorry but I can't find out which one, I will give you the URL link soon...

pamaguin

Sep 24, 2010
Anybody with a VZW Zoom use this to unlock and root?

Sent from my LG-P925 using xda premium

viper1402

Jul 27, 2010
Sorry new on here and to root (rooted my htc magic ages ago)
Is this the real deal and will this work on my uk wifi XOOM?
Thanks

Sent from my xoom using xda premium

joe ferreira

May 21, 2007
Mountlake Terrace, WA
the green bot of !

Ok this thread is missing some things.

* Fastboot OEM Unlock Wipes your Tablet. backup first!

* The green bot of !

there is one problem that exists with all xoom roots/cwm hacks.

I had this problem as well as a bunch of other people when trying to flash CWM.
If these files are present after a OTA update then your xoom when entering recovery will show the green android robot with a explanation point instead of CWM.

if you have applied a official ota update.zip then you have one of the following two files on your xoom that will prevent CWM from working.

/system/recovery-from-boot.p
/system/etc/install-recovery.sh

If you already have root and your not trying to root with CWM then you can fix this issue with the following commands before flashing the recovery.img

adb remount
adb shell rm /system/recovery-from-boot.p
adb shell rm /system/etc/install-recovery.sh

If you do not already have root on your xoom when you get the green bot of ! then you have to do the following with the stock moto files for your device (from moto dev).

This Wipes your Xoom also

fastboot oem unlock
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot -w
fastboot reboot

after your xoom boots back up and goes into the setup screens skip setup and enable usb debugging. ( do not install a ota update! )

and restart xoot to root the stock rom.

Last edited:

epic118

Dec 29, 2010
Nottingham

* The green bot of !

If these files are present after a OTA update then your xoom when entering recovery will show the green android robot with a explanation point instead of CWM.

if you have applied a official ota update.zip then you have one of the following two files on your xoom that will prevent CWM from working.

If you already have root and your not trying to root with CWM then you can fix this issue with the following commands before flashing the recovery.img

adb remount

If you do not already have root on your xoom when you get the green bot of ! then you have to do the following with the stock moto files for your device (from moto dev).

fastboot oem unlock
fastboot -w
fastboot reboot

after your xoom boots back up and goes into the setup screens skip setup and enable usb debugging. ( do not install a ota update! )

Thanks, didn't know about that. I'll be adding some more code to XOOT soon to tackle this.

XOOT does notify you that locking/unlocking bootloaders does wipe the device. However I will modify the main post to show this.

toori88

Aug 30, 2010
Can anyone tell me where to get the ged files from, I've searched for them but really don't know what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance

okantomi

Feb 20, 2011
Boston, MA
@joe ferreira,

I have quoted you in my adb/fastboot/rooting guide, as I didn't know why so many newer Xoom owners are having issues flashing CWM recovery.

@epic118, I'm also really interested in whether the Xoot method works safely...it would make life a whole lot easier for a lot of people! The Xoom community is a little shy about one-click rooting methods, since one last spring bricked a whole bunch of tabs, but if proven effective and safe, folks would eat it up.

---------- Post added at 10:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 PM ----------

Can anyone tell me where to get the ged files from, I've searched for them but really don't know what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance
Your stock files are available in a couple of threads pinned to the top of the General forum, or from the motodev site.

Last edited:

reitman1

Jul 21, 2011
What is the best way to backup without having root capabilities yet to utilize an app like Titanium?

Sent from my Xoom using XDA App

reitman1

Jul 21, 2011
Never mind, I was under the impression that rooting the Xoom wipes it right off the bat. It seems this is only when you unlock the boot loader.

Sent from my Xoom using XDA App

viper1402

Jul 27, 2010
just using xoot to root my device,
i have unlocked te bootloader,
currently flashing with cwm recovery but its stuck on starting fast boot protocol support. should it stay on that for a while the first time?
EDIT:
never mind when i rebooted holding vol up and power to try go into fast boot all i get is "starting RSD protocol support 3"
i don't know what this means but it will power up normally

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    PLEASE READ
    Cornea, the universal toolkit tool I promised following XOOT's discontinuation, has been released! It's free, and tons better. Please check it out rather than downloading XOOT. Click here to go to the thread page. Thanks.

(XOOT will still be available for download if you want it for whatever reason.

Bugs
    XP not supported properly. This will not be fixed. It has been fixed in the new version of XOOT, Cornea.

Changelog
    1.1 (CURRENT VERSION)
    XP x86 compatibility! (not working) :p
    Compressed file changed from RAR to ZIP so that users don't need WinRAR or equivalent to extract XOOT

Initial release of XOOT

Sorry that this isn't in Android Development, I have less than 10 posts and I can't wait to share this...

XOOT is the easiest tool you can use to root your XOOM! It works for XP 32bit, Vista, 7 and 8 flawlessly. In fact, it does more than root. Here's the grand list:

• Bootloader lock/unlock (WIPES DATA)
    • Root your XOOM (thanks solarnz)
    • Convert from a region XOOM to a GED XOOM
    • Flash non-flashable boot animations
    • Includes ADB and FASTBOOT for all your Android developing needs!
    • Brick your device if you are ruthless and unplug it during the progress.

HONG KONG USERS SHOULD STAY AWAY. PLEASE?
      IF YOU'VE DONE OTA UPDATES READ THE POST ON THE SECOND PAGE ABOUT THE GREEN ANDROID OF DEATH.

XOOM ADB drivers are required to benefit from XOOT! Please download them and install.

Hope you guys benefit from this. It definitely works because I used it to root, flash recovery, unlock bootloader and flash boot animations.

If you're amazing at ADB, try adding more commands! All ya need is a bit of batch programming experience. If you plan to just use this and enjoy, OK! Just open and go!

FAQ included in the ZIP.

Please read: Now that XP compatibility has been added, XOOT is harder (but still easy) to open.
    If you are running XOOT on Windows XP or Server 2003, rename choice_xp.exe to choice.exe. Then proceed.
    If you are using XOOT on a version higher than XP, open XOOT.bat without renaming Choice_XP.exe

Have fun with your XOOM!
    PLEASE NOTE THAT I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY ISSUES CAUSED
    ~Epic118
    Download the image from motodev and unzip the contents directly into the main xoot folder.

Let me know if that works.
    Also I just wrote this post about unlocking the bootloader and converting a xoom into a Google experience device using xoot so I don't know if this will be of any good to you? I haven't tried rooting with xoot yet so that's not in my guide below.

Unzip Xoot to the main directory of your PC (usually C drive)

I also downloaded and installed the xoom USB drivers from the Moto dev website. I am not 100% sure if these are needed but on my first try my computer had trouble picking up my xoom, but after I installed these it seemed to work (please note I restarted my PC after the install). I downloaded the ones for Windows 7 64bit but just download what ever one is relevant for your computer.

The US stock rom image came from the Moto Dev website but you will have to register before you can download anything. Its a simple registration and wont take you long.
    On the Moto Dev page you need go about half way down the page and look for the section MZ604 - XOOM WITH WIFI. At the bottom of that section you will see Build HWI69 for US Retail, which is what you need to download.
    Once you have downloaded this extract the contents straight into the main Xoot folder on your PC and overwrite any files that may already be there.

Now connect your xoom with USB, make sure USB debugging is selected on your xoom (this should happen automatically but check in settings just in case)

Open up the Xoot folder and click on the Xoot batch file icon (looks like little gears)
    A black command box will open up, press S to go into the bootloader settings and type unlock and hit return.

Follow the commands on the command box and then the same on your xoom and it will unlock the bootloader.

Once that has completed close Xoot on your PC and restart your Xoom (you may have to go through the set up screens on your xoom to get back to the home screen) again make sure USB debugging is selected on your xoom

Again open Xoot batch file icon but this time press D which will take you to the Other Tweaks menu.

Press S and you will be given another set of menus

now type ged and hit return and again follow any instructions on screen or on your xoom(this converts your xoom into a google experience device and uses the US image downloaded from moto dev)

After that has finished your Xoom will start up and after going through the first time set up screens you will have Android 3.0 US. You should then get instant notifications that updates are available (I think I had 3 or 4 in total) install them and eventually you will have ICS!!
    the green bot of !

* The green bot of !

adb remount

fastboot oem unlock
    fastboot -w
    fastboot reboot

First off, I should probably let you guys know that the Xoom (WiFi, 32GB, US) is my first Android device (got it for Xmas), but I am used to modding other devices. (PS3/360/Wii/iOS)

I got through the first part (unlocking), now when I try to flash the CWM (whatever that is...) recovery to my Xoom, it says that it was successful, but I get an error (green android of death?). But I can boot normally, to the vanilla 3.2.1. so no big deal. Also, I did two OTA updates when I first got my Xoom, I guess I have something to do with it.

I've read through this thread, and tons of others but don't really understand anything here, because I'm a noob. Help please, I'm learning!
    I'm going to let the OP answer you, but if he doesn't, I'll check back and try to help. It sounds like you are on your way at least.

CWM (ClockWork Mod recovery) is an alternate recovery that allows you to make backups of your complete system image that you can easily restore if anything goes wrong, and allows you flash zips files to install roms/kernels from your external micro sdcard.

That's the thing...you need an actual micro sdcard, mounted in your Xoom in the slot on top, prior to the step that flashes the CWM recovery. If you don't have one, you'll get an error.
    So, I'm ready to wipe my XOOM!
    I'll be doing this with a US XOOM, however to do this you won't need a US XOOM.

download the files relative to your xoom region at motodev (I recommend US)
    I'm downloading them now...I will add another reply when that's done downloading! :D

The files have downloaded. Rename the existing recovery.img to recovery.bak.img, because that's CWM. Now extract GED files into the XOOT directory.

Start the GED flasher. Ignore the warning that says "MAKE SURE THAT IT IS NOT A US XOOM". Now begin the flash!

As soon as that's done, do the OTA update.
    Now that the flash is done, reboot your XOOM. Fill in the setup wizard when it appears.

Keep updating until you're at OTA 3.2.1

Now rename recovery.img to recovery.img2 and rename recovery.bak.img with recovery.img
    First choose to root your device (I KNOW YOU HAVEN'T FLASH RECOVERY, JUST LISTEN).
    When that's done, reboot normally and flash Recovery. As soon as that's done, restart into recovery. This will give the XOOM no chance to run the deflashing things.
    Flash update.zip
    Reboot system now
    Rooted!