[Q] Rooting Samsung Galaxy Exhibit 4G SGH-T679

Search This thread

Dec 22, 2011
Most posts on this are two years old and links no longer work to files needed...

I have never rooted my SGH-T679 but now I keep getting notices that the phone memory is low. I would like to root without touching the rom on the phone so that I can finally dump the bloatware. I have read the XDA thread on rooting this phone and the links to root-stock.zip - 1.62 MB no longer work - come up file deleted or missing. Also second file required - ClockworkMod (? - not sure the name) also comes up as not found.

Yes, it is an old phone (actually only three years old) and I can't afford a another one right now. If I can still root this phone I can get more years out of it. And I like the Gingerbread rom it has.

Also - will the rooting process wipe out all currently downloaded and installed apps? I'd like to avoid that too if possible.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited:

Dvarl

Dec 27, 2009
Orland Park
Rooting wipes nothing. Links work fine for me. Perhaps dev-host was down at the time.

http://d-h.st/s9X root

http://d-h.st/O36 cwm

Are you talking about storage space? Removing bloat will not help as that only frees up system space which most apps won't use. If you mean actual memory rooting alone won't help and removing bloat won't help at all. These phones have very little memory and the only thing that will really help is a kit kat ROM as they have been optimized for phones with 512mb memory. Tweaks are mainly a placebo as @ArtfulDodger found out for us through extensive testing.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

Dec 22, 2011
Rooting wipes nothing. Links work fine for me. Perhaps dev-host was down at the time.

Are you talking about storage space? Removing bloat will not help as that only frees up system space which most apps won't use. If you mean actual memory rooting alone won't help and removing bloat won't help at all. These phones have very little memory and the only thing that will really help is a kit kat ROM as they have been optimized for phones with 512mb memory. Tweaks are mainly a placebo as @ArtfulDodger found out for us through extensive testing.

I tried both of those links before I posted this. All download buttons on those pages led to spam ads. Seems every comment on those pages is how do I download - and then a mysterious thanks as if the answer was revealed and then deleted. At one point I got a link on that page to go to a page that said no file found - missing or deleted. Just tried again and found one download button that actually worked.

The system memory on my Exhibit 4G is just about full and there is 1.07 GB of system memory. The internal USB/SD memory is almost empty as is my external SD card. What I need to do is free up internal memory - and deleting apps that will not install to Internal USB/SD memory that I don't use has freed up a small amount of that system memory. But there are some apps that will not install to internal SD and insist on sitting in system memory. And then there are the screen after screen of apps that Samsung shoved on this phone that keep updating constantly and 80% of those apps I have never used. So researching this the recommendation always seems to be root and dump the bloatware - and have the ability to swap External SD for Internal SD. So I am looking to root. I have found Clockworkmod on some other site and just got the stock-rom.zip.

Thanks for responding - hopefully if I do this it I won't get notices to delete apps or the phone will cease this function and that function.

So after I root every app on the phone that I installed will still be there and the only difference is the phone will be rooted. Just asking because one video showed an empty phone other than stock apps after rooting.

Last edited:

Dvarl

Dec 27, 2009
Orland Park
Ok, then what you are more looking for may be swap sd since your on stock. It may be a hastle shifting things around. In the long run a lot of people chose to use this feature to have quite a few apps. I never personally used the feature as I never load many apps on my phone. So you would do the following.

1. Flash rootstock.zip
2. Flash cwm.zip
3. MAKE A BACKUP!!! (sorry but I need to stress this point as it will save you tons of headaches)
4. Install/flash swapsd you'll have to search for it as its buried in the thread
5. Shift non system apps/data to your memory card (new internal)
6. Enjoy

Hope the info helps.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: 1776

zCHEMDAWGz

Apr 29, 2014
Ok, then what you are more looking for may be swap sd since your on stock. It may be a hastle shifting things around. In the long run a lot of people chose to use this feature to have quite a few apps. I never personally used the feature as I never load many apps on my phone. So you would do the following.

1. Flash rootstock.zip
2. Flash cwm.zip
3. MAKE A BACKUP!!! (sorry but I need to stress this point as it will save you tons of headaches)
4. Install/flash swapsd you'll have to search for it as its buried in the thread
6. Enjoy

Hope the info helps.

how do i "flash root"? sorry im new =)

kfs325

Aug 5, 2013
So after I root every app on the phone that I installed will still be there and the only difference is the phone will be rooted. Just asking because one video showed an empty phone other than stock apps after rooting.

rooting alone will not touch any of your data. It just gives you full permissions to your phone.

however, I HIGHLY recommend you put a custom ROM on this phone. If you really want to get the most out of this phone, it is THE BEST way to go. I've owned this phone since it was first out and had so many problems with it on the stock ROM. I was seriously considering spending a lot of $$ on a new phone. Once I put a new ROM on it, its like a brand new phone. Everything is so much smoother. Just put your data on an SD card. If you sync your contacts with Google they will all sync back up to your phone. All your apps will be re-downloaded. Its a bit of a pain to set them all up again but soooo worth it.

After you make a backup, give it a shot. If you really don't like it then you could go back to the backup... but I doubt that would happen after you see just how well the phone runs.

Last edited:

Raschal

Mar 29, 2012
rooting alone will not touch any of your data. It just gives you full permissions to your phone.

however, I HIGHLY recommend you put a custom ROM on this phone. If you really want to get the most out of this phone, it is THE BEST way to go. I've owned this phone since it was first out and had so many problems with it on the stock ROM. I was seriously considering spending a lot of $$ on a new phone. Once I put a new ROM on it, its like a brand new phone. Everything is so much smoother. Just put your data on an SD card. If you sync your contacts with Google they will all sync back up to your phone. All your apps will be re-downloaded. Its a bit of a pain to set them all up again but soooo worth it.

After you make a backup, give it a shot. If you really don't like it then you could go back to the backup... but I doubt that would happen after you see just how well the phone runs.

What ROM did you end up using?

Praetor_Lupus1

Dec 1, 2013
Puyallup
Towel root?

Most posts on this are two years old and links no longer work to files needed...

I have never rooted my SGH-T679 but now I keep getting notices that the phone memory is low. I would like to root without touching the rom on the phone so that I can finally dump the bloatware. I have read the XDA thread on rooting this phone and the links to root-stock.zip - 1.62 MB no longer work - come up file deleted or missing. Also second file required - ClockworkMod (? - not sure the name) also comes up as not found.

Yes, it is an old phone (actually only three years old) and I can't afford a another one right now. If I can still root this phone I can get more years out of it. And I like the Gingerbread rom it has.

Also - will the rooting process wipe out all currently downloaded and installed apps? I'd like to avoid that too if possible.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Have you ever heard of towelroot? there is a website called towelroot.com, and i am not sure whether it still works, but you should try anyway. You click the lambda and it will download an app. You then install it and click the make it rain button, and you should be root. After that, download Supersu, and root checker. You should then be able to clear bloatware with a root browser.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

1. Flash rootstock.zip
    2. Flash cwm.zip
    6. Enjoy

Hope the info helps.