Battery Issue Finally Fixed

Search This thread

bigupurself7

Mar 29, 2010
I read on another site to simply turn off the always on in the wireless settings (not the background data in the sync menu) and my battery life has at least doubled. I was worried that my e-mail would not download or other apps would not work, but all my email still comes. The trick is that while your phone is in sleep mode it does not look for email, but once you use it the phone will get your email. Unless you MUST get your email right away, I would highly recommend changing this setting. All input would be greatly appreciated, I want to see if my good luck is working for other people. On a side note I am using Fresh ROM 2.0d.

subliminalurge

Mar 13, 2010
Could you post the specific path to the setting you're talking about?

If I set my wifi to anything other than "never sleep", then once my phone goes into sleep mode I have to follow a long, convoluted, pain in the ass procedure to get wifi to work at all.

Hopefully that's not the setting you're talking about?

alexthearmo

Nov 22, 2009
www.myspace.com
I posted this exact same thing in another thread two days ago. I was so stoked on my battery performance that I wanted to tell others. It's incredible the difference it makes! If you want even better performance go into Settings>Location...uncheck the use wireless networks box, and check the use GPS. Believe it or not the GPS uses a lot LESS battery life to detect your location than the wireless networks.

I'm getting like 2 whole days out of my phone now after doing these things...and that's with pretty moderate use. Hope other people try it out too.

sinistermeshes

Mar 1, 2010
Could you post the specific path to the setting you're talking about?

If I set my wifi to anything other than "never sleep", then once my phone goes into sleep mode I have to follow a long, convoluted, pain in the ass procedure to get wifi to work at all.

Hopefully that's not the setting you're talking about?

+1
where are these options?

bigupurself7

Mar 29, 2010
I agree, I used the GPS as well, not the use wireless network. I forgot about that one. Your phone will only use the GPS when it needs it, not all the time like we used to think. The exact settings are at MENU/SETTINGS/WIRELESS & NETWORKS/MOBILE NETWORKS\AND UNCHECK ENABLE ALWAYS-ON MOBILE

subliminalurge

Mar 13, 2010
If you want even better performance go into Settings>Location...uncheck the use wireless networks box, and check the use GPS. Believe it or not the GPS uses a lot LESS battery life to detect your location than the wireless networks.

This will vary from person to person. It will depend A LOT on how good your coverage is in the spot you're currently at.

GPS is GPS. It will require the same amount of juice anywhere on the planet.

Cell chips are different. They are hardcoded to give more electricity to the radio circuit when the signal is weak, for obvious reasons. So if you have a cell tower in your back yard, then yeah, you'll get great battery performance relying on cell based options. If your nearest cell tower is 4 miles away, and you're one of those people that loses signal when you go into your basement, then telling your phone to use cell info is only going to chew up battery even faster....

scirio

Nov 8, 2007
no thanks. This isn't a fix, it's a pref change.

Fix would mean that everything stays the same and you just get better battery life.

But, good advice none the less, just not for me.

subliminalurge

Mar 13, 2010

Fix would mean that everything stays the same and you just get better battery life.

Yeah, people on the forum use the word "fix" WAY too quickly.

"Fix" means everything works like you would expect, and like it should. Around here, people use the word "fix" when what they really mean is "here's a half-assed workaround that's a complete pain in the ass, but it will get 10% of the people by until something better comes along...."....

willy900wonka

Dec 14, 2009
Penguinville

But, good advice none the less, just not for me.

+1 - 6 minutes and counting to receive a test / text msg, while phone is sleeping. Nice the know though, if I need to really trade connectivity for battery duration. I should test whether sms polling is tied to the email polling interval. Cause it ain't interrupt driven with this setting.
edit: i know it's not really sms polling, but rather the lack of an interrupt(-ion of sleep).

Last edited:

bigupurself7

Mar 29, 2010
Yes, you are right, it is not a fix, but a great way to increase battery life and like I said, everything works the same. I get messages the exact same way and email will go straight to my phone once I use it.

subliminalurge

Mar 13, 2010
Yes, you are right, it is not a fix, but a great way to increase battery life and like I said, everything works the same.

You sure about that?

When my wife sends me a text, I want to see it 5 seconds later, not 5 minutes later.

That may not matter to you, but when you make a statement to the whole world, you have to realize that some of us care about things that you might not.

How thoroughly did you test before you decided to say "everything works the same"?

Did you really test EVERYTHING? Or did you just test "everything that matters to you"?

scott2020

Feb 1, 2010
I used to turn off background data and stuff on my stock 1.5, and I was thrilled I could actually leave it on with 2.1 so I wouldn't have to wait for google voice texts and gmail to come in. With 2.1 I can go the whole day with moderate usage and still have 40% at least left when I go to bed. Let it charge overnight and I'm good. This is good to know though if I am out in the sticks in a pinch and need the extra battery.

Visionikz03

Dec 3, 2008
H-Town
maybe it's different in 2.1 but in 1.5 i tried turning off the "always on" setting under mobile network settings under wireless controls but i found that after a while the phone will fail to restart evdo upon awakening and the only way to fix it is reboot. Never tried it on 2.1 but to me between the time on without signal fix nd upgraded radio i get all the battery life i need...

bigupurself7

Mar 29, 2010
On a side note, messages and phone calls have nothing to do with the internet. Remember we used to get text messages and phone calls way before smart phones.

subliminalurge

Mar 13, 2010
trust me, it works for me, wish it worked for you guys. its great having amazing battery life!

But at what cost?

That's the big question here. Are you 100% sure that you're not missing any communications, or having them delayed?

I'd LOVE to have better battery life, but when it comes down to it my phone is a communication tool. If any battery tweaks delay messages, then they're WORSE then useless, they're actually harmful.

If I wanted to use my phone as a half-assed replacement for a PSP, then I'm sure I could squeeze some amazing battery life out of it, too. But above all, and with NO compromise, I must be able to send and receive communications instantly.

That's what a phone is.

bigupurself7

Mar 29, 2010
Yes I have rebooted and just did another test. Got the text right away. Even more interesting is I have a program called Mobile Defense which can find your phone if it is missing and that works as well since it is all done through text messages.