[TWRP + Root] Galaxy J7 Refine (8.0) (Boost/Sprint)

Search This thread

☆KØŁØЯΛĐØ☆

Oct 20, 2016
Indianapolis
TWRP has been successfully ported to the Galaxy J7 Refine (SM-J737P) (Oreo 8.0)
ROOT METHOD POSTED BELOW IN POST #2
Giving credit where credit is due:
@Dark98 for compiling the TWRP.img
@☆KØŁØЯΛĐØ☆ providing device files + testing/porting
@topjohnwu for Magisk

DISCLAIMER: This is NOT in Odin flashable .tar format. Due to sporadic updates in security & Oreo, Odin won't be much help here.
This has been tested & confirmed working on device build R16NW.J737PVPU1ARG3. It should work on other versions.

UPDATE: This will work on any Oreo version as well, including the new April 1, 2019 R16NW.J737PVPS3ASC2 update.
The patched_boot.img.tar I've attached will not work if you are on a different version of Oreo. You must provide your own patched_boot.img.tar that coincides with your respective version.

Proof of port is in the screenshot below (I've underlined the device build)
Screenshot_2019-03-22-23-02-07.png 20190330_001913.png

There is a downside & an upside:
- The downside is that after you flash TWRP & reboot, you will lose root.
- The upside is that TWRP will remain so all you need to do to regain root is flash the Magisk-v18.1.zip in Recovery.

Procedure:
- In order to flash, you need an app that will do so without booting into recovery. View attachment Flashify.apk is the ideal choice for this procedure.
- Flash TWRP in Flashify but do not reboot from the app itself. Power off your device & boot into [TWRP] Recovery manually.

PAY ATTENTION TO THESE NEXT FEW STEPS!!!
- Extract the twrp.img from View attachment J737P_TWRP.zip
- Flash through Flashify, then boot into TWRP for the first time
- Now that you have booted into TWRP the first time, Swipe to allow modifications
- Navigate to Wipe > Format Data > type yes when prompted (this will not delete any files you have in your Internal Storage)
- Once the format is completed, go to TWRP home screen & Reboot > Power Off
DO NOT REBOOT TO SYSTEM
- Once device powers off, reboot back into TWRP (yes you will boot into recovery twice)

If you fail to immediately boot back into TWRP, you will brick & have to start over. The fiirst reboot is to clear out (wipe) the /Data partition to make room for your new recovery. Wiping will not delete any internal storage items. However, it will return a value of 0 for /Data. The second boot is to secure TWRP as your new Recovery, as well as fix the /Data return value.

- Now that you have secured TWRP, go ahead & make a TWRP backup as a safety precaution before you reboot. The backup could be considered "stock" with TWRP as the Recovery. The reason being is that you will lose root after formatting /Data. No worries, you will get it back.

After creating the backup, follow these next steps very carefully!!

You will now flash Magisk-v18.1 to regain root. With the new security measures Samsung put in late 2017, you will need to flash 2 .zip files after to ensure that root sticks.

YOU NEED TO FLASH THESE FILES IN ORDER. DO NOT WIPE CACHE AFTER EACH FLASH. DO NOT REBOOT AFTER EACH FLASH. FLASH EACH PACKAGE ONE AT A TIME. WAIT UNTIL THE 3RD FLASH IS COMPLETE & THEN REBOOT DEVICE. IT WILL TAKE SEVERAL MINUTES SO BE PATIENT.

(Still in TWRP)
- Go to Home & select Instal
- In this order, flash one at a time:
View attachment Magisk-v18.1(18100).zip
View attachment no-verity-opt-encrypt-6.0.zip
View attachment RMM-State_Bypass_Mesa_v2.zip

DO NOT WIPE THE CACHE

Screenshots of proper installation (in order):
Screenshot_2019-03-22-20-51-15.png Screenshot_2019-03-22-20-51-24.png

- Reboot device normally. If you do not flash the dm-verity & RMM .zip files in order, you will bootloop & have to start over.
- When you get to your home screen, you will receive a notification to update Magisk. Update by either selecting the notification or manually through Magisk Manager.
- Allow Magisk to install the update; do not update through TWRP.

ĐØΠΞ

Last edited:

☆KØŁØЯΛĐØ☆

Oct 20, 2016
Indianapolis
[ROOT] Galaxy J7 Refine (SM-J737P) (Oreo 8.0)

FOLLOW THESE DIRECTIONS. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU BRICK YOUR DEVICE.
View attachment 4733553 View attachment 4733552
I have given you a freebie by providing the patched_boot.img.tar, thus saving you a few steps

All files needed are uploaded to my Drive: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1-8CGkYef58I-DrkyOshRFniecO_0dBDc

NOTICE: Patched_boot.img.tar is solely for the J737PVPU1ARG3 software version. Any attempt to flash to a different version will result in a bootloop. You must patch + flash your own stock boot.img if you are on a different software version.

YOU MUST PAY ATTENTION TO THE FOLLOWING
- In the Bli5zkrieg.zip you extracted, load up Odin_v13.1 (non-patched)
- Load only the BL/AP/CP files from your stock firmware into Odin
- As soon as the flashing process ends, you must reboot quickly back into Download Mode. You have to be quick. If you allow the device to begin booting up, it makes the rooting process more difficult.

Assuming you followed directions...
- Close Odin_v13.1 & unplug your device while still remaining in Download Mode
- Launch Odin_v13.1 [Patched] & load up the patched_boot.img.tar in the AP slot
- Reconnect device & proceed to flash
- Device will reboot with "Verification Failure" so you must reset (this is part of root) (it does not activate FRP lock)
- When device reboots to Setup Wizard, skip through it. Do not add any accounts (Google or Samsung). Do not consent to giving any device data for whatever purposes (they will ask twice; look carefully)
- On the home screen, unlock Dev Options &allow USB Debugging. OEM should already have been unlocked
- Connect device to your pc & in the ZeeToolz folder you extracted, run CMD.exe
- Input adb devices to ensure proper connection
- Input adb install -r MagiskManager-v7.0.0.apk to install MM to your device
- Open MagiskManager & make sure everything is good to go (see attached screenshot)
- If everything is done properly then you will see a superuser tab in the left side-bar, indicating root access

ĐØΠΞ

Last edited:

kinehumane

Jan 13, 2017
Last edited:

☆KØŁØЯΛĐØ☆

Oct 20, 2016
Indianapolis
Thanks for making / working on this man. Running butter smooth on my SM-j737P (J737PVPU2ARJ2.)

note: I had to use an sdcard to store the proper files to be able to flash in twrp. adb sideload nor mtp would not work while in twrp during the initial install.

I used the files below.
Root Files (patched boot image): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xan3RfRs4x4As7ONxLtW-WXKh_KvjyXY/view
Unbrick Files (stock J737PVPU2ARJ2) : https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=11410932744536992025

Cheers!

No problem man. I didnt think to test sideload or mtp as I always use an SDcard (comes in handy lol). It was a tad bit tedious to get the whole process down due to Oreo. That being said, ensure that you have a backup. Editing any part of the system (ie. Build.prop) will result in failure. I installed the Time Zones update & it failed. As far as MagiskSU goes, I like the Modules but prefer SuperSU root. Will see about incorporating it in the near future

This is likely a silly question, but I downloaded and installed flashify, have put the TWRP.img on the SD Card, but for some reason, flashify won't go further than giving me the option of flashing a recovery... one tap and the app is frozen....

So, is there another app that will flash the image, so as to follow the directions in the OP? Flashify doesn't seem to be happening for me. Can't seem to find one that doesn't do a root-check first, refusing to do the deed if root isn't there yet?

Trying from square 1, to the point that I did a total backup, factory reset, and am starting with a reset phone.

Last edited:

☆KØŁØЯΛĐØ☆

Oct 20, 2016
Indianapolis
This is likely a silly question, but I downloaded and installed flashify, have put the TWRP.img on the SD Card, but for some reason, flashify won't go further than giving me the option of flashing a recovery... one tap and the app is frozen....

So, is there another app that will flash the image, so as to follow the directions in the OP? Flashify doesn't seem to be happening for me.

I experienced the sluggish behavior as well. Manually go into Magisk Manager > SuperSU & make sure Flashify has been granted root access. I've noticed Magisk is rather slow when it comes to asking or granting root access on some apps. If you cannot get it to flash with Flashify, I'd suggest going with Root Essentials. Its an all-in-one root toolbox with a flashing mechanism
Root Essentials won't work as a secondary flasher bc it requires a custom recovery to be installed beforehand. Flashify will be your best bet so try all possibilities to get it to work

Last edited:
I experienced the sluggish behavior as well. Manually go into Magisk Manager > SuperSU & make sure Flashify has been granted root access. I've noticed Magisk is rather slow when it comes to asking or granting root access on some apps. If you cannot get it to flash with Flashify, I'd suggest going with Root Essentials. Its an all-in-one root toolbox with a flashing mechanism

I'll give it a try... thanks... Just trying to follow the instructions to the letter, and I'm laboring under the assumption that the TWRP image has to be on there before going on to the next steps...

☆KØŁØЯΛĐØ☆

Oct 20, 2016
Indianapolis
I'll give it a try... thanks... Just trying to follow the instructions to the letter, and I'm laboring under the assumption that the TWRP image has to be on there before going on to the next steps...

I revised my last comment. TWRP is to be flashed after you have rooted with Magisk. The posts are a little offputting due to the order they are in & I apologize for that lol Root with Magisk first & then you can install TWRP

Hmm... Root Essentials tells me it failed to install the image...

If flashify does work, but is just seriously sluggish, I can live with that if it's just a matter of setting it aside until it loads it up, that's cool... just trying to get the TWRP.img on there per instructions... Selecting the Install Recovery Image craps out... I have a copy of that image on both the emulated and the external SD, just to see if it was that... doesn't seem to work.

My understanding from the instructions is that I can't flash this particular TWRP image with Odin...

Does the patched boot image go on first, or what? I've been around here for a while, and have flashed other phones in the past, but this one is a challenge.

---------- Post added at 07:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 PM ----------

I revised my last comment. TWRP is to be flashed after you have rooted with Magisk. The posts are a little offputting due to the order they are in & I apologize for that lol Root with Magisk first & then you can install TWRP

OK... that makes more sense... I'll do that first, then go on to the other... Thanks, friend.

☆KØŁØЯΛĐØ☆

Oct 20, 2016
Indianapolis

If flashify does work, but is just seriously sluggish, I can live with that if it's just a matter of setting it aside until it loads it up, that's cool... just trying to get the TWRP.img on there per instructions... Selecting the Install Recovery Image craps out... I have a copy of that image on both the emulated and the external SD, just to see if it was that... doesn't seem to work.

My understanding from the instructions is that I can't flash this particular TWRP image with Odin...

Does the patched boot image go on first, or what? I've been around here for a while, and have flashed other phones in the past, but this one is a challenge.

---------- Post added at 07:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 PM ----------

OK... that makes more sense... I'll do that first, then go on to the other... Thanks, friend.

Flashing with Flashify is under the assumption that you dont have a lot of 3rd party apps installed. If you are logged into your Google or Samsung account(s) & have your data being backed up, it creates a more sluggish environment.

First, follow the rooting guide I posted above. If you do, you should have root access via Magisk with very little apps installed & you arent logged into any Account(s). After you have that, then install Flashify. Manually set root access if need be. Make sure you have all your device security settings disabled, Dev Options, USB Debugging, blah blah blah

We will get you root access & TWRP installed bud

Reactions: Rodgers is

☆KØŁØЯΛĐØ☆

Oct 20, 2016
Indianapolis

When you go to get root, you will need your stock firmware (BL/AP/CP files). My directions are pretty straight forward. Unzip the tools, load up Odin (non-patched), flash BL + AP + CP in their respective slots. Make sure that after you flash the stock, you instantly reboot back into Download Mode. Close the current Odin & open the patched Odin. Load the patched_boot.img.tar I provided to the AP slot & flash. It will reboot with a Verification Failure, thus forcing you to format your device. When your device reboots, skip through Setup Wizard, dont link any Google or Samsung accts. On the home screen, use cmd terminal on your pc to install the MagiskManager.apk. Once sideload, you will see root access & more than likely a toast notification asking you to update Magisk.

Rashr (View attachment de.mkrtchyan.recoverytools.apk) works as a good substitute for Flashify. You just need to move the TWRP.img to the root of your sdcard (/emulated/0/sdcard) & flash it through the Recovery from Storage option. Reboot into TWRP &continue following the instructions I've posted

Last edited:

OK... one more silly question... the patched.boot file gets loaded into the AP slot in Odin, and not the BL slot? Reason I'm asking is that after flashing that from the AP slot, the device sits at the Boot logo, and sits there...

As I had tried a few other things, and needed to add my account info to grab the Root Essentials, I just said the hell with it, and re-flashed the stock files.. then without anything other than Dev mode enabled, I booted into download mode and flashed the patched.boot tar file in the AP slot, as directed, and here it sits.

I get this happening, you make it to Albuquerque, and I owe you a few beers...

---------- Post added at 08:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 PM ----------

OK... one more silly question... the patched.boot file gets loaded into the AP slot in Odin, and not the BL slot? Reason I'm asking is that after flashing that from the AP slot, the device sits at the Boot logo, and sits there...

As I had tried a few other things, and needed to add my account info to grab the Root Essentials, I just said the hell with it, and re-flashed the stock files.. then without anything other than Dev mode enabled, I booted into download mode and flashed the patched.boot tar file in the AP slot, as directed, and here it sits.

OK... missed the immediately into download mode... Once more, with feeling.

When all else fails, go back and read the instructions CAREFULLY... <lol>

Reflashing the stock files and starting over...

Last edited:

☆KØŁØЯΛĐØ☆

Oct 20, 2016
Indianapolis

---------- Post added at 08:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 PM ----------

Lol The directions are on point. They're solid. You just have to pay attention ?

Reactions: We Are Legion
Here's the old fart with another question....

After flashing the stock files as instructed, I immediately hit the download mode as soon as the screen went black. Flashed the patched boot as instructed, and, as you stated, it would go immediately into recovery due to verification error.

I wiped the cache and hit factory reset, then reboot.

It's now sitting at the boot logo screen, and has been there for more than 1/2 hour.

Honest! I followed your instructions to the letter, and I recall first boot after rooting taking a while to come up into the system on other devices I've had, but I don't recall first boot taking anywhere this long.

I'm stumped.

Last edited:

☆KØŁØЯΛĐØ☆

Oct 20, 2016
Indianapolis

Here's the old fart with another question....

After following the instructions, yes, the phone went immediately into recovery mode, after flashing the error message you described.

I went ahead and did the factory reset, and told it to reboot... It's been sitting at the boot logo for about 25 minutes.

Should it take this long for first boot, after flashing the patched.boot.img.tar? I loaded the tar into the AP slot, as instructed. After flashing it, and the screen going to black, hit the download mode immediately... I flashed it, as said, at reboot, it went into recovery after a quick error message... I did factory reset, then rebooted normally.

I really have no idea... I'll let it keep sitting, to see if it finally boots, but this seems like a terribly long time that it's' at the bootscreen.

You seem to be rebooting into Recovery an awful lot. You shouldn't be booting into recovery mode at all when attempting to root. Recovery mode only needs entered during either process whenever you attempt to flash TWRP. Luckily for you, I dont have sh¡t to do tonight so I can help you until you get it right lol Shoot me an email at koloradokiller848@gmail.com & we can get started. I dont want to clutter up this feed with a revised how-to guide lol

Vyp3r M0dz

Jun 30, 2014
Alton
Other Variants

I tried on my j737p ( rooting worked like a charm ) however your patched boot image had to be substituted in order for my j737 variant to go further than a boot loop.

for twrp the flash of the recovery image went over fine and booted into twrp nicely. however i flashed those 3 files one at a time and all 3 at once both in order each time a few different times to verify. regardless what i do it sends me into a boot loop upon leaving twrp.

do you have any recommendations on what to modify in your procedure for my variant?

my specs are as follows:
Model - SM-J737P
ROM - J737PVPS2ASA1
Android - 8.0
SDK - 26
Kernel - 4.4.13-14521356 dpi@SWDH2519 gcc 4.9.x 20150123
Processsor - armv8l

I have 2 of the same j737p phones so im using one as my test subject before i move each step to my daily j737p.
I am comfortable with beta experimentation within reason.

on a side note - If anyone has my variant and would like the root to work I can send you the patched boot image that I used to get the root to take and let you boot into android successfully.

☆KØŁØЯΛĐØ☆

Oct 20, 2016
Indianapolis
I tried on my j737p ( rooting worked like a charm ) however your patched boot image had to be substituted in order for my j737 variant to go further than a boot loop.

for twrp the flash of the recovery image went over fine and booted into twrp nicely. however i flashed those 3 files one at a time and all 3 at once both in order each time a few different times to verify. regardless what i do it sends me into a boot loop upon leaving twrp.

do you have any recommendations on what to modify in your procedure for my variant?

my specs are as follows:
Model - SM-J737P
ROM - J737PVPS2ASA1
Android - 8.0
SDK - 26
Processsor - armv8l

I have 2 of the same j737p phones so im using one as my test subject before i move each step to my daily j737p.

on a side note - If anyone has my variant and would like the root to work I can send you the patched boot image that I used to get the root to take and let you boot into android successfully.

I have since revised my instructions for root, starting that my guide is very device specific & you will have to tweak instructions in order to accommodate your version.

As far as TWRP goes, did you boot into TWRP twice? Once for the initial install to format the /data partition & the second to secure TWRP along with flashing the files? You need to do it simultaneously & in order otherwise it won't work

It's a happenin' thang!!!!

Many thanks to Killer for all the help! Decent person stayed up with me troubleshooting until 6:30 this morning... It's working!!!!

(now, if I can find the damned SIM card that bounced off my desk into the carpeting, I'll have basically a laptop replacement! (well, for a lot of things, that is... <chuckle>)

☆KØŁØЯΛĐØ☆

Oct 20, 2016
Indianapolis
It's a happenin' thang!!!!

Many thanks to Killer for all the help! Decent person stayed up with me troubleshooting until 6:30 this morning... It's working!!!!

(now, if I can find the damned SIM card that bounced off my desk into the carpeting, I'll have basically a laptop replacement! (well, for a lot of things, that is... <chuckle>)

Not a problem buddy. Was fun & if you have any more questions, you have my contact info

LowTier

Jan 2, 2016

my specs are as follows:
Model - SM-J737P
ROM - J737PVPS2ASA1
Android - 8.0
SDK - 26
Processsor - armv8l

Sent you a pm, but having trouble rooting the same variant

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    TWRP has been successfully ported to the Galaxy J7 Refine (SM-J737P) (Oreo 8.0)
    ROOT METHOD POSTED BELOW IN POST #2
    Giving credit where credit is due:
    @Dark98 for compiling the TWRP.img
    @☆KØŁØЯΛĐØ☆ providing device files + testing/porting
    @topjohnwu for Magisk

DISCLAIMER: This is NOT in Odin flashable .tar format. Due to sporadic updates in security & Oreo, Odin won't be much help here.
    This has been tested & confirmed working on device build R16NW.J737PVPU1ARG3. It should work on other versions.

UPDATE: This will work on any Oreo version as well, including the new April 1, 2019 R16NW.J737PVPS3ASC2 update.
    The patched_boot.img.tar I've attached will not work if you are on a different version of Oreo. You must provide your own patched_boot.img.tar that coincides with your respective version.

Proof of port is in the screenshot below (I've underlined the device build)
    Screenshot_2019-03-22-23-02-07.png 20190330_001913.png

There is a downside & an upside:
    - The downside is that after you flash TWRP & reboot, you will lose root.
    - The upside is that TWRP will remain so all you need to do to regain root is flash the Magisk-v18.1.zip in Recovery.

Procedure:
    - In order to flash, you need an app that will do so without booting into recovery. View attachment Flashify.apk is the ideal choice for this procedure.
    - Flash TWRP in Flashify but do not reboot from the app itself. Power off your device & boot into [TWRP] Recovery manually.

PAY ATTENTION TO THESE NEXT FEW STEPS!!!
    - Extract the twrp.img from View attachment J737P_TWRP.zip
    - Flash through Flashify, then boot into TWRP for the first time
    - Now that you have booted into TWRP the first time, Swipe to allow modifications
    - Navigate to Wipe > Format Data > type yes when prompted (this will not delete any files you have in your Internal Storage)
    - Once the format is completed, go to TWRP home screen & Reboot > Power Off
    DO NOT REBOOT TO SYSTEM
    - Once device powers off, reboot back into TWRP (yes you will boot into recovery twice)

If you fail to immediately boot back into TWRP, you will brick & have to start over. The fiirst reboot is to clear out (wipe) the /Data partition to make room for your new recovery. Wiping will not delete any internal storage items. However, it will return a value of 0 for /Data. The second boot is to secure TWRP as your new Recovery, as well as fix the /Data return value.

- Now that you have secured TWRP, go ahead & make a TWRP backup as a safety precaution before you reboot. The backup could be considered "stock" with TWRP as the Recovery. The reason being is that you will lose root after formatting /Data. No worries, you will get it back.

After creating the backup, follow these next steps very carefully!!

You will now flash Magisk-v18.1 to regain root. With the new security measures Samsung put in late 2017, you will need to flash 2 .zip files after to ensure that root sticks.

YOU NEED TO FLASH THESE FILES IN ORDER. DO NOT WIPE CACHE AFTER EACH FLASH. DO NOT REBOOT AFTER EACH FLASH. FLASH EACH PACKAGE ONE AT A TIME. WAIT UNTIL THE 3RD FLASH IS COMPLETE & THEN REBOOT DEVICE. IT WILL TAKE SEVERAL MINUTES SO BE PATIENT.

(Still in TWRP)
    - Go to Home & select Instal
    - In this order, flash one at a time:
    View attachment Magisk-v18.1(18100).zip
    View attachment no-verity-opt-encrypt-6.0.zip
    View attachment RMM-State_Bypass_Mesa_v2.zip

DO NOT WIPE THE CACHE

Screenshots of proper installation (in order):
    Screenshot_2019-03-22-20-51-15.png Screenshot_2019-03-22-20-51-24.png

- Reboot device normally. If you do not flash the dm-verity & RMM .zip files in order, you will bootloop & have to start over.
    - When you get to your home screen, you will receive a notification to update Magisk. Update by either selecting the notification or manually through Magisk Manager.
    - Allow Magisk to install the update; do not update through TWRP.

ĐØΠΞ
    [ROOT] Galaxy J7 Refine (SM-J737P) (Oreo 8.0)

FOLLOW THESE DIRECTIONS. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU BRICK YOUR DEVICE.
    View attachment 4733553 View attachment 4733552
    I have given you a freebie by providing the patched_boot.img.tar, thus saving you a few steps

All files needed are uploaded to my Drive: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1-8CGkYef58I-DrkyOshRFniecO_0dBDc

NOTICE: Patched_boot.img.tar is solely for the J737PVPU1ARG3 software version. Any attempt to flash to a different version will result in a bootloop. You must patch + flash your own stock boot.img if you are on a different software version.

YOU MUST PAY ATTENTION TO THE FOLLOWING
    - In the Bli5zkrieg.zip you extracted, load up Odin_v13.1 (non-patched)
    - Load only the BL/AP/CP files from your stock firmware into Odin
    - As soon as the flashing process ends, you must reboot quickly back into Download Mode. You have to be quick. If you allow the device to begin booting up, it makes the rooting process more difficult.

Assuming you followed directions...
    - Close Odin_v13.1 & unplug your device while still remaining in Download Mode
    - Launch Odin_v13.1 [Patched] & load up the patched_boot.img.tar in the AP slot
    - Reconnect device & proceed to flash
    - Device will reboot with "Verification Failure" so you must reset (this is part of root) (it does not activate FRP lock)
    - When device reboots to Setup Wizard, skip through it. Do not add any accounts (Google or Samsung). Do not consent to giving any device data for whatever purposes (they will ask twice; look carefully)
    - On the home screen, unlock Dev Options &allow USB Debugging. OEM should already have been unlocked
    - Connect device to your pc & in the ZeeToolz folder you extracted, run CMD.exe
    - Input adb devices to ensure proper connection
    - Input adb install -r MagiskManager-v7.0.0.apk to install MM to your device
    - Open MagiskManager & make sure everything is good to go (see attached screenshot)
    - If everything is done properly then you will see a superuser tab in the left side-bar, indicating root access

ĐØΠΞ
    Thanks for making / working on this man. Running butter smooth on my SM-j737P (J737PVPU2ARJ2.)

note: I had to use an sdcard to store the proper files to be able to flash in twrp. adb sideload nor mtp would not work while in twrp during the initial install.

I used the files below.
    Root Files (patched boot image): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xan3RfRs4x4As7ONxLtW-WXKh_KvjyXY/view
    Unbrick Files (stock J737PVPU2ARJ2) : https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=11410932744536992025

Cheers!

Hey, so i am new to this rooting stuff and i was wondering how do i get a patched boot image for my version of the j7 refine for boost mobile my software version is J737PVPS3ASC2

You are going to grab the stock boot.img for your software version & go inside the Magisk Manager app. The top selection should say "Magisk is not installed". Select that & it will give you an option to patch the stock image. Select your stock boot.img & it will patch it for you. The patched image will then appear in the Downloads directory of your Internal Storage. If it is not compressed into .tar format then you will need to manually compress it. Once it is in the .tar format, flash that in the AP tab of the patched Odin program. Once your phone reboots, it will say Verification Failure & you will have to select reset at the bottom. It will reset your device but that will affirm that root was successfull. Continue setting up your device. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask