[HOW TO] Easiest Root and Recovery: SGS3 LTE Sprint, T-Mobile, AT&T, Rogers

Search This thread

CMTeamEpic

Retired Recognized Developer
Jun 21, 2012
Follow Team Epic's SGS3 Google+ page for the latest development news and tips relevant to Sprint SGS3!

QBKing77's CWM and Root .zip Install Video

Link: CWM Recovery for all SGS3 LTE variants
Instructions for CWM recovery to enable rooting and customization of all SGS3 LTE variants. This is confirmed to work great on Sprint, AT&T, T-Mobile and Rogers variants.

EDIT: Please note if you just received a new Sprint S3 and after following this procedure you cannot access internal or external storage from CWM please see THIS THREAD

• Updated: 6/30/2012
  • version 4: Excludes /data/media from backups.

Link: Root from Recovery
Simply flash this.zip in CWM and your phone is rooted! This is the easiest method to root the stock Samsung ROM.
  • Updated: 7/3/2012
  • version 5: Now automatically cleans out old root files to prevent conflicts. This should fix failure to root.
  • version 4: Removes /system/etc/install-recovery.sh and /system/recovery-from-boot.p left by OTA updates in order to preserve stock recovery. Read the CWM instructions carefully!

Link: Unroot .zip and Stock Restore
Follow these insructions to unroot and restore the modification status to "Normal".

CyanogenMod's Team Epic specializes in Sprint's flagship Android phones on Sprint.
If you appreciate our work, please consider supporting us with a tiny contribution. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

wtogami

Dec 6, 2010
News: Important News for Sprint's LF9 OTA Update

6/30/2012:
  • Sprint SGS3 received the LF9 OTA update from Sprint today. If you used our previous root method, applying this OTA update works. After applying the update, you need to flash the latest version of our Root .zip in order to retain custom recovery and root status. You may also want to upgrade to CWM for SGS3 LTE variants version 4 as it contains an important fix for backups.
  • Reportedly LF9 fixes the Google Wallet not Certified issue.

Chilled26

Sep 17, 2010
Do I have to re root (flash the root from recovery.zip) after updating from the oldest CWM to the newest?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

wtogami

Dec 6, 2010
Did not fix the Google wallet issue for me
:(
Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda premium

I dunno. It worked on two of the dev's phones.

---------- Post added at 02:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:53 PM ----------

Do I have to re root (flash the root from recovery.zip) after updating from the oldest CWM to the newest?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

No, although you need Root .zip v4 after you upgrade to yesterday's OTA.

sonarchist

Mar 27, 2011
Washington, DC
ODIN'd back to stock, found my security update inside the internal cache (stock recovery) and was able to run it from there just fine....yup, had unrooted and run the update; it downloaded but failed to activate.

ODIN'd cwm/rooted then opened wallet, activation went fine........after, ran the Store update: now I get the Unsupported Device message (4 rooted devices)............go figure!

** still, wallet works just fine! Rooted users, just ignore the message........all wallet users should be aware: your working wallet needs to be reset direct from the open app (not cache/not data) PRIOR to flash or device hard reset. Otherwise you may end up borking your wallet and bricking the secure element. So, prior to flash: open wallet then navigate Menu/Settings/Reset google wallet.........now you're free to flash.

sent from today's android

Last edited:

1candydick

Sep 19, 2010
is there an app for protecting root while keeping up with latest OTA

since voodoo root keeper does not work with the galaxy S3, If someone can recommend a procedure/process to follow to maintain root and keep up with sprints updates please?

I'm just trying to figure out what the best & least time consuming way to maintain root and keep up with sprints updates please?

hopefully my questions made sense to you all...thank you all (in advance) for helping/answering my questions...

-peace

Devtodi

Aug 16, 2011
Marin County
Help please

For some reason I am unable to achieve root. I flashed the LF9 update and then Odin'd v4 tar, pulled the battery when it said pass, booted to recovery and flashed root-from-recovery v4. When I rebooted, I did not have root. What did I do wrong please?

aaron130

Mar 19, 2008
Massachusetts
Hey guys I just got my Sprint SGS3 a few minutes ago and I'm getting the update notification, can I update it and still root?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Devtodi

Aug 16, 2011
Marin County
For some reason I am unable to achieve root. I flashed the LF9 update and then Odin'd v4 tar, pulled the battery when it said pass, booted to recovery and flashed root-from-recovery v4. When I rebooted, I did not have root. What did I do wrong please?

update: nevermind I actually do have root access. however when I used the root check to see if I had root, it said that I did not and it said that the system was running very slowly. however when I did it again after updating the binary in su I found that I did have root. thanks to all the devs, donation on the way.

Last edited:

remf4i

Mar 27, 2011
Parkersburg
Im a dev soming from the sgs2 skyrocket and I just got mine and I cant even get cwm recovery to flash with odin

bbelos

Inactive Recognized Developer
Apr 23, 2011
Chicago
Im a dev soming from the sgs2 skyrocket and I just got mine and I cant even get cwm recovery to flash with odin

Does the flash actually fail with Odin? Or are you accidentally letting the phone reboot before booting into recovery. The Step-by-Step directions are there for this very reason. If the phone boots up without flashing our Root .zip v4, the stock kernel will rewrite the stock recovery back to the phone and you will have to start over.

Reactions: Tewlman252

Tewlman252

Mar 13, 2012
Question? Do we need to install busybox and let it update?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using XDA

jwwolfe77

Apr 1, 2010
New Mexico
Im trying to root my phone but i am having issues getting into download mode. Im holding volume down and power at the same time. The samsung screen pops up and then the samsung galaxy slll screen then it resets the phone like it should if you hold down power long enough. but no Download scrren. Am i doing this right? My ssgs2 went right into dl mode.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Follow Team Epic's SGS3 Google+ page for the latest development news and tips relevant to Sprint SGS3!

QBKing77's CWM and Root .zip Install Video

Link: CWM Recovery for all SGS3 LTE variants
    Instructions for CWM recovery to enable rooting and customization of all SGS3 LTE variants. This is confirmed to work great on Sprint, AT&T, T-Mobile and Rogers variants.

EDIT: Please note if you just received a new Sprint S3 and after following this procedure you cannot access internal or external storage from CWM please see THIS THREAD

• Updated: 6/30/2012
    • version 4: Excludes /data/media from backups.

Link: Root from Recovery
    Simply flash this.zip in CWM and your phone is rooted! This is the easiest method to root the stock Samsung ROM.
    • Updated: 7/3/2012
    • version 5: Now automatically cleans out old root files to prevent conflicts. This should fix failure to root.
    • version 4: Removes /system/etc/install-recovery.sh and /system/recovery-from-boot.p left by OTA updates in order to preserve stock recovery. Read the CWM instructions carefully!

Link: Unroot .zip and Stock Restore
    Follow these insructions to unroot and restore the modification status to "Normal".

CyanogenMod's Team Epic specializes in Sprint's flagship Android phones on Sprint.
    If you appreciate our work, please consider supporting us with a tiny contribution. Thanks!

6/30/2012:
    • Sprint SGS3 received the LF9 OTA update from Sprint today. If you used our previous root method, applying this OTA update works. After applying the update, you need to flash the latest version of our Root .zip in order to retain custom recovery and root status. You may also want to upgrade to CWM for SGS3 LTE variants version 4 as it contains an important fix for backups.
    • Reportedly LF9 fixes the Google Wallet not Certified issue.
    Trying to root. But I installed CWM recovery but I think my phone reverted back to android receovery.

It says "Android System recovery (3e)" at the top. Is this correct?

When you run ODIN, select 'PDA' slot ONLY (do not select Auto-reboot)....when ODIN completes CWMv4 install cycle w/ green 'complete' light at upper left, go ahead + remove cable from device, then remove + replace battery......boot to CWM recovery, then flash TeamEpic-Root-from-Recovery-v4.zip file stored on your device............boot to system.

Thereafter, your superuser allows CWMv4 to stick, you're good to go.
    Link: Team Epic's Root from Recovery.zip version 5

• v5 Now automatically cleans out old root files to prevent conflicts..
    I already rooted and installed cwm with Odin when the root method was first released. Now I want to update to v4. I used to be able to do this with my photon where we download the zip file of the newest cwm and just update it through recovery. Is it possible to do that with this device?

Team Epic Blog: CWM Recovery for all SGS3 LTE variants
    Downloads and instructions for CWM recovery to enable rooting and customization of all SGS3 LTE variants.

**CWM Flashable zip released, although currently only supported for the Sprint SGS3 device. We would like to confirm the recovery partition for the other SGS3 models before supporting them.