OK, What? [Cotulla Twitter]

Search This thread

aaaaa0

Nov 22, 2008
Dude, there are going to be a mountain of problems getting the thing actually to work completely and reliably on WP8.

There is a huge difference between getting it to sort of boot and sort of work (easy), and making it something actually usable (very very hard).

UEFI loader might be done, but ACPI is going to be screwed, power management screwed, WiFi screwed, Bluetooth screwed, phone modem screwed, graphics not/partially GPU accelerated, audio hw codecs, video hw codecs... list is gonna go on and on.

There is gonna be a mountain of work ahead if u want to make such a ROM actually self-hostable, good luck with that. :)

Cotulla

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Sep 8, 2007
well there are class 10 5~10MB/S. It's not hyper fast, but hey not that slow...

UEFI MAGLDR is really amazing. Wow...

Any chance of Windows 8 RT on HD2? I am kidding
The most important thing for SD is speed on the small blocks like 512 bytes and 4096 bytes.
For example one noname card 4Gb gives me 2.5mb/sec and Sandisk 16Gb gives me only 1.2mb/sec for 512 blocks.

For Windows RT it can be insufficient RAM, but it's possible to try ;)

tfouto

Jun 12, 2007
The most important thing for SD is speed on the small blocks like 512 bytes and 4096 bytes.
For example one noname card 4Gb gives me 2.5mb/sec and Sandisk 16Gb gives me only 1.2mb/sec for 512 blocks.

Doesn't Windows use Pagefile?

GodlikePL

Dec 12, 2011

Im glad HTC Mozart has 576 instead of Leo 448, small difference but always better :)

Regards

Thanksbra

Jun 28, 2012
Alphen aan den Rijn
Hello,

For now it's actually just a proof of concept.
I honestly dunno how far it can goes forward; a lot of problems appear and not sure will be it's possible to solve them.
And not only to solve them, but get an acceptable user experience :)

It was implied as "a crazy experiment" at the start up time :laugh:

For now it's implemented only few functionality like SD card, screen output, touch screen input.
All other things are not working. I won't add "YET" it can be very hard to get some things to work.
and DFT didn't yet decided about future developments in that direction.

they can be right also . . .I don't know yet.
But NT is much more heavy system than CE. remember that.

Amazing....HTC Leo does never die!

31065642.jpg

retsam88

Feb 23, 2009
I just can't describe how awesome Cotulla is.

It doesn't matter if it will run well in future or not, it's just a unbelieveable proof-of-concept that it's actually possible to run w8.

HD2 is a LEGEND

Last edited:

Nigeldg

Feb 25, 2011
I am sorry but i dont bite that. It a too generic statementto be made. I guess it depends from card to card.
Whether or not you believe me isn't the question, just search and you will find a thread with a bunch of benchmarks showing that this is indeed the case :) I guess you'll believe cotulla though :p

Sent from my HTC HD2 using xda app-developers app

GodlikePL

Dec 12, 2011
BTW, is HTC 1st gen bootloader hacked enough for WP8 rom or we'll have to wait for UEFI MAGLDR port from HD2?

tfouto

Jun 12, 2007
Whether or not you believe me isn't the question, just search and you will find a thread with a bunch of benchmarks showing that this is indeed the case :) I guess you'll believe cotulla though :p

Do you have the link to that thread?

Thanks

Nigeldg

Feb 25, 2011
Do you have the link to that thread?

Thanks

The post can be found here:
you guys if you are trying to run an OS from your sd then remember the higher the class generally the crapper your OS experience is going to be. Sequential times DO NOT MATTER. ITs the random read and writes. I have a sandisk 16gb class 2. You always want to go with sandisk. We have a huge thread in nookcolor general about this. It is proven that sandisk will have consistent speeds. Specially if you are gonna be running an os on it. The sandisk I'm using is pretty much better then any internal emmc. **** is blazingl...

Ok this is what you need to be looking for.

4k Qd32 from crystaldiskmark 2.240 (read) 1.140 (write) MB

sequential means nothing when you are running an os from it!!!

This is what your system will be running! Check out our thread out in nookcolor.

That post basically sums things up. If you want to access music and videos (both read and write) then a higher class is undoubtedly better, but if you're using it to run an OS then lower classed cards are usually better.

Hmm, i think wp8 see only 483mb ram.

Wp7 see all of the ram?
I don't know about WP7, but Android sees around 403-411MB of RAM so 483 seems to be quite good.

Cotulla

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Sep 8, 2007

Marvlesz

Jun 28, 2010
Saudi Arabia

I don't understand. If higher class will result in poor performance if you're running an OS. Why did securecrt say that you need a high class for running Android using NativeSD? And why do we even have NativeSD?

Proz00

Jun 13, 2010

windows standard 8 is much smaller :)
and no hardware lock like windows RT

edit oh its not arm :9

windows rt could be lited manually tho

Last edited:

stealth21

Jul 31, 2009
İstanbul
I just can't describe how awesome Cotulla is.

It doesn't matter if it will run well in future or not, it's just a unbelieveable proof-of-concept that it's actually possible to run w8.

HD2 is a LEGEND

I believe you are wrong!

The real legend is @Cotulla

He is the one, who made all of those happening come true..
I just want thank you thank you thank you :good::good::good:

NOTE: No matter what happens in the future, You are the one who made us extend our phone usage and you are the main reason we all were introduces to android and WP7.. If its not worth the time developing the software its would be totally understandable!

A man Vs. Microsoft..
Cotulla 5 - Microsoft 0 :laugh::laugh:

jskenderi

Jul 5, 2007
Berlin
I believe you are wrong!

The real legend is @Cotulla

He is the one, who made all of those happening come true..
I just want thank you thank you thank you :good::good::good:

NOTE: No matter what happens in the future, You are the one who made us extend our phone usage and you are the main reason we all were introduces to android and WP7.. If its not worth the time developing the software its would be totally understandable!

A man Vs. Microsoft..
Cotulla 5 - Microsoft 0 :laugh::laugh:

True, but don't forget bepe too. Great team! Thanks very much to both of you!

Gesendet von meinem NexusHD2

Reactions: jcbienfait

antonizoon

Jun 1, 2012
github.com
That post basically sums things up. If you want to access music and videos (both read and write) then a higher class is undoubtedly better, but if you're using it to run an OS then lower classed cards are usually better.

For SDCard speeds, you can't just depend on some person's experiences and assertions, especially when SDCards vary so much from size to size and brand to brand. There are too many variables to single out classes as the issue.

Each card is unique, and instead of depending on some trend, we should judge each card by performance only.

http://www.heise.de/download/h2testw.html (it's in German, use Google Translate)

You can use this program (or some other reliable test) to test SDCard write speeds for small, medium, and large files. The better the performance with small files, the better your OS will run.

It's also useful for discovering fake SD cards. The majority of SanDisk cards on the internet are fakes; with the test, at least you can see if your card is bad.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello,

For now it's actually just a proof of concept.
    I honestly dunno how far it can goes forward; a lot of problems appear and not sure will be it's possible to solve them.
    And not only to solve them, but get an acceptable user experience :)

It was implied as "a crazy experiment" at the start up time :laugh:

For now it's implemented only few functionality like SD card, screen output, touch screen input.
    All other things are not working. I won't add "YET" it can be very hard to get some things to work.
    and DFT didn't yet decided about future developments in that direction.

It's more of a, Microsoft you lied!! Kind of thing.
    they can be right also . . .I don't know yet.
    But NT is much more heavy system than CE. remember that.
    People are forgetting that Windows RT requires UEFI to even boot. If you noticed one or two of the screenshots you would see the UEFI MAGLDR which means that Cotulla/DFT have been able to emulate UEFI to get the image to even boot. So you would need a bootloader like MAGLDR to even do this and as I'm aware, most bootloaders these days are completely locked down now.
    Yes, it's very large work. We (DFT) started that project long time ago.

Do you think that will be posible run Metro apps on Windows 8 RT for HD2? Resolution of HD2 is very poor and without metro app Windows 8 RT is less interesant
    Not sure. Hacks in the internet doesn't work. Display interpolation also bad in image quality as well in performance.
    Yes, it helps a lot of, but usually only answers to basic questions. Complex and the most intersting ones are usually always kept answered :(
    So, for what I understood, this might be the reason why all previous devices - including the Lumia 900 - won't get the WP8 upgrade. It just can't be done...
    Yes, it can be. All that NT is much more heavy.

Actually I am looking only to LEO port - not enough resources for anothers.
    LEO has very well known environment for me as well tons of developed stuffs, it's a reson why it's possible.
    In case of another device it's clear start from zero. Too much work. Sorry :(
    It's now running from SD card. NAND is not assumed to be supported by any way
    (there is no native support for such storage medias inside NT, as well no goal to add such support - cuz NAND is too small for that purposes)
    But SD cards are not really fast . . . unlike eMMC with 8bit bus inside native WP8 devices.
    As well too often access to SD card may produce big power drain.