[TUTORIAL] How to add apps to multiview without needing root

Search This thread

steve9127

Jun 9, 2011
Bucharest
You can use this tutorial to add more apps to multiview without needing root.

Credit goes to the folks over in the Galaxy Note 10.1 forums.

ianbbaa
JustFlesh
Leppin
hairdevx

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2024399

While it was designed to work for the tablet, it also works very nicely with our Note 2.
I`M POSTING THE EXACT WAY THAT WORKED FOR ME !

YOU NEED:
1. JAVA: make sure you have java runtime enviorenment and download and install java development kit (http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html)
2. APK MultiTool : http://apkmultitool.com/
3. WinRAR (or other zip extractor)
4. A file explorer on your phone

How to:
1. Extract APK-Multi-Tool to a folder.
2. Connect phone to PC in "Development mode". Wait for drivers to install. Make sure everything is ok.
3. Enter the folder , right-clik "Setup" and select Run as administrator. (you have to do this ONLY the first time you run the tool)
4. Press 3 and then Enter
5. Press any key.
6. Press 2 then 5 then follow on screen. After finish go back to main menu.
7. Press 1 (install framework-res.apk). After finish go back
8. Press 2 (install twframework-res.apk). After finish go back
9. Press 4 (install SystemUI.apk). After finish go back
10. Press 00 to Quit.

11. Use Apk Share & Backup (search for it on play) and create backups of the apps you want to use in multiview.
12. Transfer 1 apk from the Apk Share & Backup folder on your phone to the "place-apk-here-for-modding" in the APK-MUlti-Tool folder
13. Go to APK-Multi-Tool folder and Right-click "Script" and select Run as administrator.
14. Press any key.
15. Select 9 (decomplie the apk). After it finisher (make a decision appears again) close the window.
16. Go to APK-Multi-Tool folder and then projects folder. Inside this folder you will find a new folder with your apk`s name. Double-click it.
17. Inside your apk`s folder you will see a file: "AndroidManifest". Right-click it and select Open With and then WordPad
18 Find this line : <category android:name="android.intent.category.LAUNCHER" />"" and , right after it, press enter and add this:

<category android:name="android.intent.category.MULTIWINDOW_LAUNCHER" />

19. Find this line : </application> and at the end of the row BEFORE it press enter and ther add this:

<uses-library required="false" name="com.sec.android.app.multiwindow" />
<meta-data android:name="com.sec.android.support.multiwindow" android:value="true" />
<meta-data android:name="com.sec.android.multiwindow.DEFAULT_SIZE_W" android:value="632.0dip" />
<meta-data android:name="com.sec.android.multiwindow.DEFAULT_SIZE_H" android:value="598.0dip" />
<meta-data android:name="com.sec.android.multiwindow.MINIMUM_SIZE_W" android:value="632.0dip" />
<meta-data android:name="com.sec.android.multiwindow.MINIMUM_SIZE_H" android:value="598.0dip" />

20. Save and close the file.
21. Start the Script again and choose option 15
22. When it says : *daemon started succesfully* press Ctrl+C and then y and Enter. Open task manager and end the "adb.exe" process.
23. Go to "place-apk-here-for-modding" and copy the signed apk to your phone.
24. Uninstall the app from your phone and install it using the signed apk you created.
Everything should work.
To keep things simple, when your done delete the content from your "place-apk-here-for-modding" and your projects folder and mod only one app at a time.
You have to do this again after each update of the apps you modded

THIS THREAD IS NOT A COPY-PASTE FROM SOURCES. I ADDED A COUPLE OF STEPS TO MAKE IT WORK FOR MY NOTE II.
SOME APPS MAY NOT WORK. IT`S NOT MY FAULT.

If requested I will make a video tutorial too.

Click the Thanks button if this helped you.

Last edited:

steve9127

Jun 9, 2011
Bucharest
You're welcome!
Compared to the thread in the 10.1 and Verizon Note II sections , I made a couple of modifications. And now it works for me.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

steve9127

Jun 9, 2011
Bucharest
For Yahoo Mail make sure the name of the apk you put in the modding folder does not contain "!" or else the tool will not be able to decomplie it.
(standard name for this apk is Y!mail)

Ratix0

Jan 9, 2011
Great! I'll look into it to mod some commonly used apps...

Would be great if developers start including this though.

medo_mm1990

Mar 1, 2013
Hi steve, thanks for sharing this hard work.
But i have been trying this the whole day but it doesnt work.
I did exactly as you post and i had the signed apk, it appears at the multiwindow strip but when i try to open it with other programme it took the whole screen.
Would is the problem you think?

RoboticBandit

Jan 15, 2011
Excellent tutorial, thanks!

Successfully modded two apps which work great, they don't show in the multiview bar though? Does this require root and a modded multiview?

RoboticBandit

Jan 15, 2011
Yes, i have tried 4 apps. 1 is crashed when open, the others act as i said.
I re tried the process more than one time for each apk but the results is same :rolleyes:

I think some apps just don't play nice with the multiwindow framework (which may be why Samsung only enabled it for specific apps). I have one that just refuses to compile and throws up loads of aapt errors.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You can use this tutorial to add more apps to multiview without needing root.

Credit goes to the folks over in the Galaxy Note 10.1 forums.

ianbbaa
    JustFlesh
    Leppin
    hairdevx

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2024399

While it was designed to work for the tablet, it also works very nicely with our Note 2.
    I`M POSTING THE EXACT WAY THAT WORKED FOR ME !

YOU NEED:
    1. JAVA: make sure you have java runtime enviorenment and download and install java development kit (http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html)
    2. APK MultiTool : http://apkmultitool.com/
    3. WinRAR (or other zip extractor)
    4. A file explorer on your phone

How to:
    1. Extract APK-Multi-Tool to a folder.
    2. Connect phone to PC in "Development mode". Wait for drivers to install. Make sure everything is ok.
    3. Enter the folder , right-clik "Setup" and select Run as administrator. (you have to do this ONLY the first time you run the tool)
    4. Press 3 and then Enter
    5. Press any key.
    6. Press 2 then 5 then follow on screen. After finish go back to main menu.
    7. Press 1 (install framework-res.apk). After finish go back
    8. Press 2 (install twframework-res.apk). After finish go back
    9. Press 4 (install SystemUI.apk). After finish go back
    10. Press 00 to Quit.

11. Use Apk Share & Backup (search for it on play) and create backups of the apps you want to use in multiview.
    12. Transfer 1 apk from the Apk Share & Backup folder on your phone to the "place-apk-here-for-modding" in the APK-MUlti-Tool folder
    13. Go to APK-Multi-Tool folder and Right-click "Script" and select Run as administrator.
    14. Press any key.
    15. Select 9 (decomplie the apk). After it finisher (make a decision appears again) close the window.
    16. Go to APK-Multi-Tool folder and then projects folder. Inside this folder you will find a new folder with your apk`s name. Double-click it.
    17. Inside your apk`s folder you will see a file: "AndroidManifest". Right-click it and select Open With and then WordPad
    18 Find this line : <category android:name="android.intent.category.LAUNCHER" />"" and , right after it, press enter and add this:

<category android:name="android.intent.category.MULTIWINDOW_LAUNCHER" />

19. Find this line : </application> and at the end of the row BEFORE it press enter and ther add this:

<uses-library required="false" name="com.sec.android.app.multiwindow" />
    <meta-data android:name="com.sec.android.support.multiwindow" android:value="true" />
    <meta-data android:name="com.sec.android.multiwindow.DEFAULT_SIZE_W" android:value="632.0dip" />
    <meta-data android:name="com.sec.android.multiwindow.DEFAULT_SIZE_H" android:value="598.0dip" />
    <meta-data android:name="com.sec.android.multiwindow.MINIMUM_SIZE_W" android:value="632.0dip" />
    <meta-data android:name="com.sec.android.multiwindow.MINIMUM_SIZE_H" android:value="598.0dip" />

20. Save and close the file.
    21. Start the Script again and choose option 15
    22. When it says : *daemon started succesfully* press Ctrl+C and then y and Enter. Open task manager and end the "adb.exe" process.
    23. Go to "place-apk-here-for-modding" and copy the signed apk to your phone.
    24. Uninstall the app from your phone and install it using the signed apk you created.
    Everything should work.
    To keep things simple, when your done delete the content from your "place-apk-here-for-modding" and your projects folder and mod only one app at a time.
    You have to do this again after each update of the apps you modded

THIS THREAD IS NOT A COPY-PASTE FROM SOURCES. I ADDED A COUPLE OF STEPS TO MAKE IT WORK FOR MY NOTE II.
    SOME APPS MAY NOT WORK. IT`S NOT MY FAULT.

If requested I will make a video tutorial too.

Click the Thanks button if this helped you.
    Screenshots (as requested)

First time setup

Apk modding

Screenshots have been posted backwards. Go from last image to the first one. And surf each category (First time setup / Apk Modding) independently.
    Sorry for the mixup.
    There where some missing lines. I completed them.
    Sorry for that.
    Screenshot
    Thanks for this tutorial. It would be nice if you posted screen shot of the steps on the PC.
    Cheers
    Tom
    My Note II to you
    Thanks for this tutorial. It would be nice if you posted screen shot of the steps on the PC.
    Cheers
    Tom
    My Note II to you

Screenshots have been posted :D
    No, the mod does not require root. The screenshot withbskype and tapatalk is from my phone which is completly stock.

Try this, see if it works: https://www.box.com/shared/p0w10b78m3enpzywdw37 . It is the modded apk for the latest version of Whatsapp.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2