[Q] Does S-OFF and rooted affect OTA updates?

Search This thread

dberthia

Apr 6, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Hopefully simple question. I'm presently using the temp root method on my otherwise stock M7. If I go to S-OFF and permanent root, will I still be able to receive OTAs, or do I need to restore one or both to get the OTAs?

Crawshayi

May 7, 2012
As long as you have the stock recovery you should be able to get OTAs, and you might also need to unroot. Why in the world you would want to actually get an OTA is beyond me though, they're full of bloat and unrooted. You're much better off waiting for a developer to release a stock rom.

dberthia

Apr 6, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
As long as you have the stock recovery you should be able to get OTAs, and you might also need to unroot. Why in the world you would want to actually get an OTA is beyond me though, they're full of bloat and unrooted. You're much better off waiting for a developer to release a stock rom.

Yeah- I'm leaning toward a ROM. Just want to make sure I have all the information before I do anything rash. Thanks.

Crawshayi

May 7, 2012
Yeah- I'm leaning toward a ROM. Just want to make sure I have all the information before I do anything rash. Thanks.

Basically the way it works is as long as you keep your phone S-Off you can do pretty much anything. That doesn't mean you SHOULD do anything, as flashing something incorrect can potentially brick your phone, but if you follow the directions on the rom of choice you won't have any issues.