[GUIDE][NO ROOT] Installing YouTube (unblock), Play Music, Play Movies, and more!

Search This thread

rockon999

May 16, 2015
Hello!

In light of the recent blocking of YouTube on Amazon devices by Google I have put together a list of steps to install Google Play Services and the Android TV suite of Google applications without root. In addition the Android TV YouTube app can view paid content (movies, TV shows, etc)!

This was tested on a Fire TV Stick 2.

Newer versions of these applications may work unless otherwise noted (but have not been tested obviously).

APKS:

Instructions:
1. Install Google Play Services
- Open this once!
2. Install Google Play Store (Android TV)
3. Install Google Accounts Manager
4. Install Gmail
5. Open Gmail
6. Add a Google Account
- This interface is navigable with the remote but easier with a cursor app/mouse.
- If you can't navigate the interface repeatedly press up and down until a shadow appears around the button.
7. All installed Google Apps should now recognize your account has been added.

There you have it!

You should now have access to all the Google content you've been missing, Play Services to allow side loading, and YouTube free of any nasty blocking by Google or Amazon :)

Credits: Thanks to Moose200 and AFTV News for locating the functioning Google Accounts Manager version.

Last edited:

rockon999

May 16, 2015
Instead of of putting all these apps on your fire tv 2 just download an app called 'SMART YOUTUBE TV' and sideload it to the device ..the best thing about it is there are no ads..

The goal of this guide is to get access to the official Google applications. The official YouTube app allows you to view paid purchases which is not possible with simple wrapper applications. While I prefer to entrust my Google account to official sources, you are welcome to suggest alternative third party applications in another thread.

Last edited:

rcrh

Jun 21, 2011
Trying this now on my 1st gen fTV and it would be GREAT to get the google apps working - particularly Music, Movies, & TV.
- play services failed on the first install but working on the second attempt.
- gmail interface was very tricky. It kept looping back to the first screen if I didn't arrow down quickly to select "existing account".
Notes:
1) Youtube works but I can't cast to it from my laptop or phone. It doesn't show as an option.
2) Play Movies/TV starts movies but only the audio plays. Trailers play fine though. I only have problems with content I've purchased.
3) Play Music doesn't show "stations". I works great with my library of uploaded music but none of the streaming content works.
I guess the intent was to get Youtube to work so anything else is a bonus.
Thanks for this guide and the links to the working apks.

---------- Post added at 02:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:21 PM ----------

One other thing that really isn't a fault of this guide but only you install PlayMusic it stays live in the back ground and grabs every press of the play/pause button on the remote. It doesn't matter what app you're in, if you press play/paus Google starts playing. Even if you are trying to reboot your fTV Playmusic jumps in there.

rockon999

May 16, 2015
Trying this now on my 1st gen fTV and it would be GREAT to get the google apps working - particularly Music, Movies, & TV.
- play services failed on the first install but working on the second attempt.
- gmail interface was very tricky. It kept looping back to the first screen if I didn't arrow down quickly to select "existing account".
Notes:
1) Youtube works but I can't cast to it from my laptop or phone. It doesn't show as an option.
2) Play Movies/TV starts movies but only the audio plays. Trailers play fine though. I only have problems with content I've purchased.
3) Play Music doesn't show "stations". I works great with my library of uploaded music but none of the streaming content works.
I guess the intent was to get Youtube to work so anything else is a bonus.
Thanks for this guide and the links to the working apks.

---------- Post added at 02:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:21 PM ----------

One other thing that really isn't a fault of this guide but only you install PlayMusic it stays live in the back ground and grabs every press of the play/pause button on the remote. It doesn't matter what app you're in, if you press play/paus Google starts playing. Even if you are trying to reboot your fTV Playmusic jumps in there.

Thanks for the feedback!

- Occasional failure is to be expected ;)
- I'll look into casting, I'm assuming there is likely a missing library/application that the Android TV version depends on.
- Does purchased content still work in YouTube? On a 2nd Gen Stick I have (frankly) astounding video playback in Play Movies. I'll see if I can play around with this on my old 1st gen and see if another APK version works better.
- I'll also look into Gmail (it is the most stable on 2nd gen, but 1st gen might have some quirks that would necessitate a different version)
- On my FTV if the music is paused in the app it won't continue to run in the background, I'll see if my 1st gen stick operates like yours does.

Last edited:

rcrh

Jun 21, 2011
Thanks for the feedback!

- Occasional failure is to be expected ;)
- I'll look into casting, I'm assuming there is likely a missing library/application that the Android TV version depends on.
- Does purchased content still work in YouTube? On a 2nd Gen Stick I have (frankly) astounding video playback in Play Movies. I'll see if I can play around with this on my old 1st gen and see if another APK version works better.
- I'll also look into Gmail (it is the most stable on 2nd gen, but 1st gen might have some quirks that would necessitate a different version)
- On my FTV if the music is paused in the app it won't continue to run in the background, I'll see if my 1st gen stick operates like yours does.
- wow, I didn't know Play purchases could be viewed in Youtube. And yes they work there. FANTASTIC!
- gmail mail isn't an issue. I was able to get through it. I'm assuming it's used just to get an account set up.
- To be clear the behavior for playmusic is: pause music, exit the app, hit play button, music resumes. This happens even if you're in another app that uses the play button.
Let me know if I can provide any additional info. BTW, I'm looking at YoutubeTV and it seems to also work with this set of playservice apks.

mijorus

Mar 9, 2014
I can confim it works! Play store doesn't work of course, but you can use any playservices-dependent app with no issues. You can use yalp store as a replacement. Gmail app can be unistalled after you added the account if you want, it still works. Thanks a lot

alsatea

Jul 27, 2010
Thank you it worked with me.

I need a working version of Youtube TV app for AFS. I tried phones app but couldn't locate the location of the device. I could not make pass the location check.

Last edited:

iSlaker

Apr 9, 2008
London & Rio de Janeiro
Hey, thanks for posting this method. got a 2nd gen AFTV and been looking online for a few days now and this was the first method that worked, but... like someone else here I can't cast from my phone/laptop. the devices won't see it. I looked everywhere in the app, I'm signed in, but there doesn't seem to be an option to give me a link code. if anyone can figure this out, please let us know. thanks!

Updated the 1.x version of YouTube with the latest 2.x version and remained signed in. got a code and now I'm able to cast to it from my phone. I've not tried live videos or purchased content. For regular uploaded videos it seems to be working fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: BandzTFM

Spillunke

Dec 2, 2014
Berlin
Redmi Note 10 Pro
Hey, thanks for posting this method. got a 2nd gen AFTV and been looking online for a few days now and this was the first method that worked, but... like someone else here I can't cast from my phone/laptop. the devices won't see it. I looked everywhere in the app, I'm signed in, but there doesn't seem to be an option to give me a link code. if anyone can figure this out, please let us know. thanks!

Updated the 1.x version of YouTube with the latest 2.x version and remained signed in. got a code and now I'm able to cast to it from my phone.

Thanks for the hint! Now its working ;D

Last edited:

Warrior1988

Jun 28, 2015
I find it odd that the version doesn't match the code name. Version is 5.1.1 but code name is Kit Kat version did Amazon seriously just make a device with a chopped up firmware?

rockon999

May 16, 2015
I find it odd that the version doesn't match the code name. Version is 5.1.1 but code name is Kit Kat version did Amazon seriously just make a device with a chopped up firmware?

Amazon's Fire OS is Android Lollipop with only *some* of Android TV's systems and no Google APIs. As a result Google apps tend to be finicky on it and generally the older you go for a Google app the less features they depend on (or expect) and thus they're more likely to work.

Reactions: Warrior1988

Warrior1988

Jun 28, 2015
Amazon's Fire OS is Android Lollipop with only *some* of Android TV's systems and no Google APIs. As a result Google apps tend to be finicky on it and generally the older you go for a Google app the less features they depend on (or expect) and thus they're more likely to work.

Really what it comes down to is Amazon wants their market place to be used for purchasing and can't blame them for wanting to make money.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello!

In light of the recent blocking of YouTube on Amazon devices by Google I have put together a list of steps to install Google Play Services and the Android TV suite of Google applications without root. In addition the Android TV YouTube app can view paid content (movies, TV shows, etc)!

This was tested on a Fire TV Stick 2.

Newer versions of these applications may work unless otherwise noted (but have not been tested obviously).

APKS:

Instructions:
    1. Install Google Play Services
    - Open this once!
    2. Install Google Play Store (Android TV)
    3. Install Google Accounts Manager
    4. Install Gmail
    5. Open Gmail
    6. Add a Google Account
    - This interface is navigable with the remote but easier with a cursor app/mouse.
    - If you can't navigate the interface repeatedly press up and down until a shadow appears around the button.
    7. All installed Google Apps should now recognize your account has been added.

There you have it!

You should now have access to all the Google content you've been missing, Play Services to allow side loading, and YouTube free of any nasty blocking by Google or Amazon :)

Credits: Thanks to Moose200 and AFTV News for locating the functioning Google Accounts Manager version.
    Instead of of putting all these apps on your fire tv 2 just download an app called 'SMART YOUTUBE TV' and sideload it to the device ..the best thing about it is there are no ads..

The goal of this guide is to get access to the official Google applications. The official YouTube app allows you to view paid purchases which is not possible with simple wrapper applications. While I prefer to entrust my Google account to official sources, you are welcome to suggest alternative third party applications in another thread.

Updated the 1.x version of YouTube with the latest 2.x version and remained signed in. got a code and now I'm able to cast to it from my phone. I've not tried live videos or purchased content. For regular uploaded videos it seems to be working fine.