[STICKY] Google Cardboard, VR, 3D Videos, Half SBS Side-by-side playback of 2D, etc

Search This thread

CDB-Man

May 29, 2013
Google Cardboard, VR, 3D Videos, Half SBS Side-by-side playback of 2D, etc
If you have any questions, comments, suggestions, etc. regarding Google Cardboard, 3D videos, half SBS side-by-side playback of 2D videos, etc., post them all here. We don't need several threads on the same topic. New new threads on this topic will be locked, and users directed here.

Some quick FAQs:
Is the developer aware of this feature request?
Yes. The request is also added to the Feature requests Page under High priority.

Is there a timeline for implementation?
The developer has not indicated publicly such a timeline. The feature will be considered for MX Player 2.0.

======
Previous threads on this feature request (now locked):
http://xdaforums.com/apps/mx-player/mx-player-vr-cinema-mode-t2888329
http://xdaforums.com/apps/mx-player/half-sbs-playback-2d-videos-t2799322
http://xdaforums.com/apps/mx-player/feature-request-3d-anamorph-t2797118
http://xdaforums.com/apps/mx-player/zoom-l-r-independantly-videos-google-t2860098

Last edited:

CDB-Man

May 29, 2013
Snippets of requests in previous threads

Here are some selected snippets of the requests made in previous threads.

If anyone can contact the Developer of MX Player, then ask them to please create a Virtual Reality Cinema mode for MX Player. I believe that this would be the best solution for watching 3D SBS videos with Google Cardboard. For an example of what we are looking for, please look at the YouTube section inside the Google Cardboard app.

=======
Now that Google has released Cardboard, I would love a feature to render regular videos the same way 3D Half SBS is rendered.
Obviously it won't create any 3D effect but it would still give the big screen cinema effect when using Cardboard or Durovis Dive for example.
There is already an app called "Side-By-Side Video Player" but it can't play any of my x264 MKVs, so if MX started supporting this, that'd be great!
What seas1 and I are requesting is simply an option to render the same frame twice, Side-by-side.

=======
PLEASE! guys add anamorph conversion vertical to horizontal. It would be great to watching 3d movies with Google Cardboard (can't post links, i tried) and mx player.
Thanks very much, i hope you'll do it.
Will you work at this feature or not?
i mean, i want player to work as 3D TV. samsung, lg, etc.
when i download 3d mkv to watch it on tv, it can be 2 types of files - horizontal anamorph pair.
:) :)

and vertical pair
:(

so, hardware 3d TV asked "what pair did you download? vertical or horizontal"
and makes output like this
left_eye_frame1, (left eye on 3d glasses opened, right eye closed)
right_eye_frame1, (left eye on 3d glasses closed, right eye opened)
left_eye_frame2, (left eye on 3d glasses opened, right eye closed)
right_eye_frame2, (left eye on 3d glasses closed, right eye opened)
left_eye_frame3, (left eye on 3d glasses opened, right eye closed)
right_eye_frame3, (left eye on 3d glasses closed, right eye opened)

SO, with google cardboard device (and another same devices) user can watch 3D ONLY with horizontal pair. But vertical seems to be more popular format. And all what i talking about, i ask to do feature - vertical --> horizontal conversion, to watch vertical pair 3d movie in 3d devices like google cardboard.

i hope, i talking understandably.
sorry fo my english, i'm from russia.

i have this message about links:
"To prevent spam on the XDA forums, ALL new users prevented from posting outside links in their messages. After approximately 10 posts, you will be able to post outside links. Thank you for understanding!"

======
Hi All
I have some side by side (3D) videos on my phone, and Id like to watch them in MX player using my Google cardboard.
At the moment, The video takes up the whole screen, and the field of view of the cardboard is to small to see the whole video.
If I zoom out, It zooms from the middle of the screen, which obviously screws up the image, as it's no longer in the center of your eye.
Id like a way to zoom out from the center of each half of the screen, so the video would split in the middle.
Is this possible?
Thanks,
Tommy

Serge Bolduc

May 17, 2013
Saint-Jérôme
3D movie cardboard

I haven't received my cardboard yet but if you use xbmc 13.x or kody to play 3D SBS and put pixel ratio to 2 you obtain the right format. Actualy I can see movie in 3D by looking very close to phone then put the phone more aways. Of course this trick make me see three image a 3d in middle but whith cardboard I hope this will work.

I also tried mxplayer in SW mode where you can change aspect ratio 4:1. This will give you right format by streching image for anamorph SBS.

In xmbc and kody you can watch top bottom, xbmc make conversion to SBS.

Last edited:

Pr07o7yp3

Oct 17, 2014
Hello, I just bought my Cardboard. I would be verry happy if you add 3D options in MX Player. :)
Options like: 2D -> 3D (fake 3D for watching 2D movies), Top/Bottom to SBS, Swap SBS, etc.
Thanks.

mathewparet

Dec 17, 2013
It would be definitely good to enable MX Player to work with Google Cardboard. I simply love the Youtube app in Google Cardboard demo, that gives a theatre effect. And it would be awesome if MX Player could work with Google Cardboard and give such a theatre effect.

sbcontt

Dec 3, 2011
I request ability to render 3D SBS and OU movies in 2D. Does not sound too difficult because it is only about stretching the position of pixels. I don't know why all movie players, even on PC, lack this feature. Is there any technical barrier here?
Btw I know that some pixels will be lost in the process, and to show 2D without loss of quality, some calculations are required. But on mobiles even half the pixels will suffice for many people. Of course if you can implement the conversion without loss of quality that will be welcome.

Last edited:

prouderthings

Mar 17, 2015
Thumbs Up

This would be my favorite feature! I know quite a few people who would get the app just for this. Hope it makes it in soon! :good:

juanrra242

Jan 12, 2012
Xiaomi Mi 9
I hope to see it very soon!!! it will be awesome !!! Now ,i am watching normal movies ,as if i were in a theatre ,in my VR-Glasses with "side-by-side" and "vr-player" apps (some audio drivers missing) and 3d-sbs movies with "3dvPlayerHD" ,and the feeling is great.

I dont expext them to take much more longer.

Greetings.

Zamboney

Feb 20, 2012
I would love cardboard and gear be support but no ridiculous virtual cinemas. Just a nice SBS picture with view locked. The virtual cinema is useless e g when traveling pand just complicates development.

Reactions: Adchen

alienundies

Apr 7, 2011
texarkana
ffmpeg

Mx player has a pack with ffmpeg codex. I got the side by side app to work on my note 2 with my vr headset. I can now watch all formats with it. The default media player plays everything now. No more "cannot play audio" messages anymore.

I have been reading up on the temp root procedure. Some files stay, some get wiped on reboot. This weekend, I plan on trying to see if I can successfully copy the ffmpeg libs to /system/lib and see if I get the same results. Then it will be a matter of will they stay after reboot. If they do, I will post the results here.

stormcloud74

Oct 15, 2011
Aspect Ratio

Obviously you guys have a "cardboard" version in the works but as a quick fix maybe you could just add a "sbs" screen button for pre-rendered 3D files? Just a toggle to pixel ration of 2 and back again. I'm already able to watch these with MX Player (Tried 32:9 ratio first but found 40:9 looked best for some reason?) but I'm lazy and want to reduce screen touches. ;-p

erkut

Feb 25, 2011
What about 3D subtitle support?
c9209f9d68b76b028179f10e98f448a7.jpg

dagrim1

Sep 1, 2008
Wondering if there's any news on a SBS, side by side, cardboard 3d version/solution?

After purchasing a Honami VR set I would love to be able to play 720p (or higher) mkvs with AC3 audio in a side by side manner... MX Player is one of few that actually produces sound, but no SBS yet.

The universal SBS app which works on some is not yet compatible with the Galaxy S6 (I assume it's not working with Android Lollipop 5.1.1 yet... As the latest CM version is CM12 which is 5.0.2) so that's no solution either.

The SBS/3D players I found so far only produce video, no sound...

Looking into seeing if I can load the ac3 audio codec in another way making it available to the standard video players but no luck so far (and no clue if it's even possible).

Cheers!

OsitKP

Oct 3, 2008
Novosibirsk
There's a bug while playing 3D video (SBS or OU). On 3D TV connected to android box the left and right fields have some horizontal parallax which is absent if I push USB flash with video right to TV.

Pr07o7yp3

Oct 17, 2014
Are there any news about this feature?
I really can't understand why they don't want to implement this feature when it so easy.

Reactions: neeraj5696

PlantPoweredProphet

Nov 11, 2015
This feature would be really nice. I finally got cardboard and I have mostly AC3 movies. I do not want to convert just so I can sit back and watch a 2d movie in cardboard.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Google Cardboard, VR, 3D Videos, Half SBS Side-by-side playback of 2D, etc
    If you have any questions, comments, suggestions, etc. regarding Google Cardboard, 3D videos, half SBS side-by-side playback of 2D videos, etc., post them all here. We don't need several threads on the same topic. New new threads on this topic will be locked, and users directed here.

Some quick FAQs:
    Is the developer aware of this feature request?
    Yes. The request is also added to the Feature requests Page under High priority.

Is there a timeline for implementation?
    The developer has not indicated publicly such a timeline. The feature will be considered for MX Player 2.0.

======
    Previous threads on this feature request (now locked):
    http://xdaforums.com/apps/mx-player/mx-player-vr-cinema-mode-t2888329
    http://xdaforums.com/apps/mx-player/half-sbs-playback-2d-videos-t2799322
    http://xdaforums.com/apps/mx-player/feature-request-3d-anamorph-t2797118
    http://xdaforums.com/apps/mx-player/zoom-l-r-independantly-videos-google-t2860098
    Snippets of requests in previous threads

Here are some selected snippets of the requests made in previous threads.

If anyone can contact the Developer of MX Player, then ask them to please create a Virtual Reality Cinema mode for MX Player. I believe that this would be the best solution for watching 3D SBS videos with Google Cardboard. For an example of what we are looking for, please look at the YouTube section inside the Google Cardboard app.

=======
    Now that Google has released Cardboard, I would love a feature to render regular videos the same way 3D Half SBS is rendered.
    Obviously it won't create any 3D effect but it would still give the big screen cinema effect when using Cardboard or Durovis Dive for example.
    There is already an app called "Side-By-Side Video Player" but it can't play any of my x264 MKVs, so if MX started supporting this, that'd be great!
    What seas1 and I are requesting is simply an option to render the same frame twice, Side-by-side.

=======
    PLEASE! guys add anamorph conversion vertical to horizontal. It would be great to watching 3d movies with Google Cardboard (can't post links, i tried) and mx player.
    Thanks very much, i hope you'll do it.
    Will you work at this feature or not?
    i mean, i want player to work as 3D TV. samsung, lg, etc.
    when i download 3d mkv to watch it on tv, it can be 2 types of files - horizontal anamorph pair.
    :) :)

and vertical pair

so, hardware 3d TV asked "what pair did you download? vertical or horizontal"
    and makes output like this
    left_eye_frame1, (left eye on 3d glasses opened, right eye closed)
    right_eye_frame1, (left eye on 3d glasses closed, right eye opened)
    left_eye_frame2, (left eye on 3d glasses opened, right eye closed)
    right_eye_frame2, (left eye on 3d glasses closed, right eye opened)
    left_eye_frame3, (left eye on 3d glasses opened, right eye closed)
    right_eye_frame3, (left eye on 3d glasses closed, right eye opened)

SO, with google cardboard device (and another same devices) user can watch 3D ONLY with horizontal pair. But vertical seems to be more popular format. And all what i talking about, i ask to do feature - vertical --> horizontal conversion, to watch vertical pair 3d movie in 3d devices like google cardboard.

i hope, i talking understandably.
    sorry fo my english, i'm from russia.

i have this message about links:
    "To prevent spam on the XDA forums, ALL new users prevented from posting outside links in their messages. After approximately 10 posts, you will be able to post outside links. Thank you for understanding!"

======
    Hi All
    I have some side by side (3D) videos on my phone, and Id like to watch them in MX player using my Google cardboard.
    At the moment, The video takes up the whole screen, and the field of view of the cardboard is to small to see the whole video.
    If I zoom out, It zooms from the middle of the screen, which obviously screws up the image, as it's no longer in the center of your eye.
    Id like a way to zoom out from the center of each half of the screen, so the video would split in the middle.
    Is this possible?
    Thanks,
    Tommy
    Post reserved. You can post now.
    I would love cardboard and gear be support but no ridiculous virtual cinemas. Just a nice SBS picture with view locked. The virtual cinema is useless e g when traveling pand just complicates development.
    I'm backing up the feature request. Shouldn't be very difficult to implement (with subtitle support). Thanks in advance, dear dev :)

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk