OTG USB adapter for the TF701

Search This thread

Nixus_Maximus

Jun 13, 2011
I'm not sure regarding the TF701, but my experience with other Asus devices (Padfone) is that it only charges when you use a USB 3 cable when you use an extention between the original charger to the original cable. So that may be the reason here as well. USB 2 does not work.

Gesendet von meinem K00C mit Tapatalk

YayYouFixedIt

Nov 21, 2012
I'm not sure regarding the TF701, but my experience with other Asus devices (Padfone) is that it only charges when you use a USB 3 cable when you use an extention between the original charger to the original cable. So that may be the reason here as well. USB 2 does not work.

Gesendet von meinem K00C mit Tapatalk

Ya Its good that it takes peripherals and hubs and things but it probably can do damage to the battery to attempt charging it. Dangerous to try. At least it from what Ive seen I would not recommend it. The cable said it was USB 3.0 and the HUB as well. The new cable connector type is a better design though since it doesnt come out, but the fact is that it is cheaply made.

ryocoon

Jun 10, 2008
San Jose
Shocking. Why in the world would Asus not bother marketing this toward the TF community too?!

I imagine for the fact they want us to buy their dock, which is USB3. I find the USB3 port entirely to tight, and the dock connection entirely too loose. However, with an USB-OTG cable, you could mock up your own setup.

It seems pretty much anything for the most recent Asus VivoTab seems to be compatible with the TF701t's pin-out setup. So it appears they replicated that pin-plug between the two.

Gone_phishing

Jul 28, 2014
Fort Riley
so the keyboard dock, and an OTG idea

I imagine for the fact they want us to buy their dock, which is USB3. I find the USB3 port entirely to tight, and the dock connection entirely too loose. However, with an USB-OTG cable, you could mock up your own setup.

It seems pretty much anything for the most recent Asus VivoTab seems to be compatible with the TF701t's pin-out setup. So it appears they replicated that pin-plug between the two.

Hello all, I'm new to the forum, but stumbled across this site when looking for a good ROM setup for this tablet(first tablet), I've rooted both droids I've owned and after playing stock on the tablet for a few months, I'm going to go try that out. I was also playing around with running the new Ubuntu OS as well. Doing some research on this, as I imagine a tablet is a bit more complicated to do than a phone.
So in reference to this thread..

If the Vivotab OTG adapter is compatible with the TF701T, wouldn't the keyboard dock be compatible as well? Same pin set up and all.

I wouldn't mind spending the 20$ on this OTG host, but it just seems like so much more stuff to carry around to accomplish one simple goal.
I was looking at the goal of a OTG hub, it's basically a pass-through extension right? It requires no external power source.
And it just seems like a lot of plastic and fluff design to accomplish one simple task, adapt the port of the tablet to a USB hub.

I thought about it, and decided to make a much simpler OTG adapter. The OTG you are all talking about would seem to get in the way of using a case or limiting viewing angles. Some feedback on users of this OTG would be appreciated. I've never had to deal with something like this. I was pretty sure micro-USB was just about standard on most products until I found the 701...

The build:
So by using the proprietary charge/sync cable, I connected it to a female USB to female USB adapter(1$ see link) to allow for USB male to plug into. This allows for the full length of the cable plus the pass-through I found to keep your external hard drive or whatever else you have it connected to, away from precarious situations, and allow a little mobility for your tablet. At least, that's the idea behind the build.

(link).ebay(dot)com/itm/281296794219?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I haven't been able to test it out yet, as I just sent the tablet to the service center for a battery charging issue. But being outside the US currently, I have to order a lot of stuff online and wait a week for it to get here.

When my tablet get's back, I'll write up if the idea was effective or not, If you can connect multiple USB via a USB hub at the same time, connect flash, mouse, keyboard, other USB devices like an External HD, and if it is, I could have just provided a simple, cost effective solution to our problems.

Thoughts, or input? Not sure if anyone else has already tried this or not.

daveynozen

Jun 29, 2014
No update so I'm guessing this didn't work?

The build:
So by using the proprietary charge/sync cable, I connected it to a female USB to female USB adapter(1$ see link) to allow for USB male to plug into. This allows for the full length of the cable plus the pass-through I found to keep your external hard drive or whatever else you have it connected to, away from precarious situations, and allow a little mobility for your tablet. At least, that's the idea behind the build.

When my tablet get's back, I'll write up if the idea was effective or not, If you can connect multiple USB via a USB hub at the same time, connect flash, mouse, keyboard, other USB devices like an External HD, and if it is, I could have just provided a simple, cost effective solution to our problems.

Thoughts, or input? Not sure if anyone else has already tried this or not.

ToniDaTyga

Sep 19, 2013
Modesto
The adapters mentioned that work with the 701 are all usb-2.

Does anyone know of a usb-3 adapter that will work?

The KCRIUS OTG adapter Amazon sells should work. However, the adapter is a female so you must buy a USB 3.0 A male to A male for it to work. USB 3.0 is the only one that can handle the 18w adapter.

---------- Post added at 06:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:25 AM ----------

I have purchased the KCRIUS OTG adapter and I'm waiting on the USB 3.0 A male to A male cable. I do plan on using this as a charging cable. Making an extra USB port is just a bonus. At $30, that's the adapter plus a 9 foot heavy duty USB cable, should make for a sturdy back up cable in case my original one breaks. As it stands, I treat my TF701 cable like a precious gem so that it will last me. One really important note is that if you intend on using this as a charging cable, the USB cable must be 3.0. No damage should occur to the battery if you are within the product specifications but it's always at our own risk. I will update my results.

Last edited:

ToniDaTyga

Sep 19, 2013
Modesto
I recieved the cable and unfortunately it doesn't work with the OTG adapter. However, I was able to attach my ps3 controller to it to play games.

Sent from my 'rooted' Samsung S4

Gone_phishing

Jul 28, 2014
Fort Riley
I'm back

Sorry, I was deployed until recently, my tablet was damaged, the digitizer/lcd was cracked somehow through my case. Either way, the use of propitiatory cable, and a female to female adapter, to USB storage was a bust. Even with a powered USB device, with a transfer cable to the tablet didn't work. I figured with a rooted and ROM on the tablet, there would have been a way to make it work, but not much I can do if the screen is broken. Looks like once I can get a new screen assembly I'll keep playing with it now that I'm back in the US.

Sorry it took so long to reply! Looks like I'll be working on rooting and ROM'ing my Droid RAZR maxx today. Finally got a new phone, but the old one will be first, so I'll have a backup at least!

kevinthefixer

Oct 26, 2014
I got the USB-OTG adapter for the VivoTab, I'd read that it would work and lo and behold, it does. I bought it as a kit that included a micro-SD and SD card reader on a pigtail, Asus calls it the Vivo Tab External Extension Kit. Now exactly how would you have an internal extension? Anyway it works fine on the TF701.

Just in case anyone is still trying the F-F USB adapter, you might as well give up. The USB-OTG function requires another chip.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Found this on amazon for the Vivo tab, which uses the same 36-pin connector as the TF701. So I bought it for $20US hoping it would work with the 701 and it does! Plugged in the OTG adapter and attached my sandisk extreme usb 3 thumbdrive. Used the included SD/uSD card adapter to connect a couple SD cards and had no problems. Didn't do any speed tests or anything, just wanted to make sure they worked, and they did. :D

ASUS Extension Kit for VivoTab-Series Tablets
    Wow... Great find!

Hey - happen to have a PS3 controller you could test with? Almost bought the dock purely for this purpose, so I'm dying to know if plugging a controller in through USB would work...

If this really is fully supported by the tf701t, I'm seriously questioning why they didn't say so?

Sent from my K00C using Tapatalk

Sorry, no, I don't have a PS3 controller.
    No problem. There is another way to find out. Do you have a USB mouse and/or keyboard handy? If you wouldn't mind testing these basic peripherals, we could really verify if this thing provides host mode for more than disk drives.

If so, I'm buying!

Sent from my K00C using Tapatalk

Standard mouse and keyboard both work fine when plugged into the OTG adapter.
    or you can just buy the one meant for the transformer and it's a few dollars cheaper if you can't get the other one. Just doesn't come with the SD card adapter. This is the one that I intend to buy once I get my tablet

Warning: This will not work with our TF701!!!!!! Read the Q&A below the product description !!
    Can you charge and use USB with this?

I'm considering getting a TF701T, does anyone know if you could use this to charge the device? It'd be nice to know I have a backup if the proprietary USB cable fails.