[UPDATE][US WIFI ONLY]Android 3.2.1 on Xoom Wi-Fi, Root, via ClockworkMod Recovery

Search This thread

stachre

Mar 30, 2011
[size=+1]BEFORE YOU BEGIN[/size]

CUSTOM ROM AVAILABILITY: This is a stock rooted update (stock ROM, stock kernel), NOT a full-featured custom ROM; however, both 3G/4G and Wi-Fi users can enjoy Team Tiamat Xoom Rom 2.2.1 Moray. If you want the latest features implemented by Team Tiamat, install Moray; otherwise, if you want stock 3.2.1 HTK75D ROM and kernel with root, continue below.

COMPATIBILITY: This update is for the US Xoom Wi-Fi MZ604 ONLY!!! If you have a non-US Xoom Wi-Fi, this procedure may break your device. If you have a Xoom 3G/4G, this procedure may break your device. The update script performs NO CHECKS on the model of Xoom before flashing rooted stock 3.2.1 HTK75D system and boot images. This means it won't stop you from flashing on a non-US or 3G/4G device; it will just flash and you're left with the mess (if any). Please proceed only if you're tech-savvy with Android and the Xoom, ready to restore another ROM in case of issues, and good at troubleshooting. Please provide feedback and corrections, and I'll update the post as quickly as I can. Thanks!

WARNING: Following this procedure may damage or permamently destroy your device. This procedure is provided with NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. Perform this procedure at your own risk.

[size=+1]SUMMARY[/size]

This is a modded update package (update.zip) that updates the US Xoom Wi-Fi from any ROM to stock rooted Android 3.2.1 HTK75D using ClockworkMod Recovery:
  • Flashes bootloader from previous update (3.2.1 HTK55D) to ensure integrity
  • Flashes the boot partition with rooted stock 3.2.1 boot image, stock kernel
  • Includes a workaround for the Bluetooth tethering issue that was introduced in 3.2 (note: workaround is in boot.img, so flashing a new kernel/boot.img will overwrite it)
  • Stock kernel includes no extras (overclocking, etc.) from custom kernels
  • Flashes system partition with rooted stock 3.2.1 image (minus the recovery overwrite script)
  • Includes Superuser.apk 3.0 (new) and su binary to enable functioning root (thanks, chainsdd)
  • Hardware SDCard continues to be read-only via documented application permissions
  • Leaves existing recovery partition intact (stock 3.2.1 update overwrites it on every reboot)
  • Leaves user data intact (note: some users updating from custom ROM's recommend wiping data/factory reset to prevent issues)

[size=+1]PREPARATION[/size]

[size=+1]PROCEDURE[/size]
  1. Copy/download the modded Android 3.2.1 Update package to the SDCard
  2. Reboot into recovery
    • Reboot your Xoom
    • When the Motorola logo splash screen appears, press the Volume Down button to scroll through boot options and select "--> Android Recovery"
    • Press the Volume Up button to enter Android recovery
  3. Perform update
    Note that in recovery, you use the hardware volume buttons to navigate up and down, and the power button to select. Note also if you are coming over from a custom ROM, users suggest doing a "wipe data/factory reset" in ClockworkMod Recovery prior to performing the following steps.
    • Select "install zip from sdcard"
    • Select "choose zip from sdcard"
    • Select the modded Android 3.2.1 update package
    • Select "Yes - Install <filename>"

"Install from sdcard complete." will indicate that the update is completed.
    • Select "reboot system now"

New bootloader will install. The message, "Congratulation! Your bootloader was successfully upgraded" will be immediately followed by an automatic reboot.
  4. Enjoy your rooted Xoom Wi-Fi, running on Android 3.2.1 HTK75D!

[size=+1]POST-UPDATE NOTES[/size]

• Superuser.apk 3.0: Some issues are being reported; may be updated soon.
  • Bluetooth tether issue workaround: Implemented in boot.img, so flashing new kernel/boot.img will overwrite it.

[size=+1]CHANGELOG[/size]

• v02: HTK75D update (Android version remains unchanged at 3.2.1)
  • v01: First release, HTK55D; includes root, Superuser.apk, su, Bluetooth tether issue workaround

Last edited:

stachre

Mar 30, 2011
[size=+1]UPDATE PACKAGE DETAILS (v02)[/size]

BOOTLOADER: flashed with stock 3.2.1 HTK75D bootloader
  • Extracted from previous update package (3.2.1 HTK55D)
  • Bootloader flashed after reboot
Code:
BCT[4->4] (vendor: 0x101 product: 0x5454 vers: 0x0)
RECOVERY: not flashed; left intact​

BOOT: flashed with modded stock 3.2.1 HTK75D boot image with stock kernel
  • Unchanged from 3.2.1 HTK55D
  • Kernel: flashed with stock 3.2.1 HTK75D kernel
    • 2.6.36.3-g111d827 android-build@apa28 #1
    • Includes no extras (overclocking, etc.) from custom kernels
  • default.prop: modded HTK75D default.prop (ramdisk)
    Code:
    ro.secure=0
    ro.allow.mock.location=1
    ro.debuggable=1
    persist.service.adb.enable=1
  • ADDED: Workaround for the Bluetooth tethering issue
    • Issue introduced in 3.2 HTJ85B
    • Flashing a new kernel/boot.img will overwrite the workaround
SYSTEM: flashed with modded stock 3.2.1 HTK75D system image
  • build.prop: stock 3.2.1 HTK75D build.prop
    Code:
    ro.build.fingerprint=motorola/tervigon/wingray:3.2.1/HTK75D/190830:user/release-keys
    ro.build.description=tervigon-user 3.2.1 HTK75D 190830 release-keys
  • REMOVED: Stock recovery install script, patch
  • ADDED: Superuser.apk 3.0 (new) and su binary to enable functioning root (thanks, chainsdd)
  • Hardware SDCard continues to be read-only via documented application permissions
USERDATA: not flashed; left intact​

Last edited:

stachre

Mar 30, 2011
this will erase the tiamat kernel correct?

Yes. I suggest using this update only if you wish to have stock ROM and stock kernel with root.

EDIT: updated OP for clarity.

MORE EDIT: You can always re-flash a custom kernel after the update.

Last edited:

stachre

Mar 30, 2011
have you noticed any changes from 3.2 to 3.2.1?

I haven't been using it like a normal user yet, so I haven't noticed any differences. It's a small update, though, with the following files having notable patches/updates:

• Bootloader
  • Recovery
  • Boot image (kernel 2.6.36.3-g111d827, also corresponding small update to bcm4329.ko)
  • /system/etc/security/cacerts.bks (probably response to DigiNotar debacle)
  • /system/framework/bouncycastle.odex
  • /system/framework/ext.jar
  • /system/app/NetworkLocation.apk
  • /system/lib/libskia.so
  • /system/lib/modules/bcm4329.ko (tiny update, probably due to new kernel)

In addition, a slew of system APK's, framework JAR's and ODEX's, and other miscellaneous files got touched, but the patches were so small that they're likely just version updates or minor bug fixes.

An official changelog (if we get one) would provide further clarification.

EDIT: HTK75D notable file updates:
  • Recovery
  • /system/app/Phonesky.apk (new Android Market 3.1.6)
  • /system/app/BooksTablet.apk
  • /system/app/BooksTablet.odex
  • /system/app/Music2.odex
  • /system/app/SystemUI.odex
  • /system/app/SystemUI.apk
  • /system/app/VideoEditorGoogle.apk
  • /system/app/VideoEditorGoogle.odex
  • /system/app/Videos.apk
  • /system/app/Videos.odex
  • /system/app/YouTubeTablet.apk
  • /system/app/YouTubeTablet.odex
  • /system/framework/framework-res.apk

Last edited:
Reactions: shakuyi

i_am_the_one

Feb 11, 2011
Salt Lake City
OK, just did this. Flashed this ROM, booted, rebooted into recovery, wiped cache and dalvik, flashed Tiamat Tachi, booted. Done. All good.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

I did not flash a custom kernal. I was running the rogue kernal before the update though. Have you noticed any issues running the tachi kernal? I would love to go back to overclocking, but I wasn't sure if the kernals would play nice with 3.2.1

tincbtrar

Nov 12, 2009
New York City
I did not flash a custom kernal. I was running the rogue kernal before the update though. Have you noticed any issues running the tachi kernal? I would love to go back to overclocking, but I wasn't sure if the kernals would play nice with 3.2.1

Test it. Make a nandroid before you do so and give it a shot for a week.

Looks like that would break the bluetooth mod that was created though :(

Let us know how it works. I like the rogue kernel a lot.

BigBadBuddy

May 7, 2011
/usa/ca/orangecounty

Tachi works great. I'm typing this on my bluetooth keyboard (the only bluetooth device I have to test with). I'm going to test with Rogue later today. My concern initially was with the boot loader update on the 3.2.1 ROM. On the first kernels that I fflashed on my Xoom, there were custom boot loaders. I think they were only for charge lights onn/off, but wasn't sure. I'm pretty sure that any 3.2 compatible kernel will work with 3.2.1. The update was pretty small and mostly bugfixes from what I understand.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

tincbtrar

Nov 12, 2009
New York City
@bigdaddy I meant the Bluetooth tether feature. I imagine all else works great.

I installed this today and its great so far - thanks for your contribution.

Sent from my Xoom using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [size=+1]BEFORE YOU BEGIN[/size]

CUSTOM ROM AVAILABILITY: This is a stock rooted update (stock ROM, stock kernel), NOT a full-featured custom ROM; however, both 3G/4G and Wi-Fi users can enjoy Team Tiamat Xoom Rom 2.2.1 Moray. If you want the latest features implemented by Team Tiamat, install Moray; otherwise, if you want stock 3.2.1 HTK75D ROM and kernel with root, continue below.

COMPATIBILITY: This update is for the US Xoom Wi-Fi MZ604 ONLY!!! If you have a non-US Xoom Wi-Fi, this procedure may break your device. If you have a Xoom 3G/4G, this procedure may break your device. The update script performs NO CHECKS on the model of Xoom before flashing rooted stock 3.2.1 HTK75D system and boot images. This means it won't stop you from flashing on a non-US or 3G/4G device; it will just flash and you're left with the mess (if any). Please proceed only if you're tech-savvy with Android and the Xoom, ready to restore another ROM in case of issues, and good at troubleshooting. Please provide feedback and corrections, and I'll update the post as quickly as I can. Thanks!

WARNING: Following this procedure may damage or permamently destroy your device. This procedure is provided with NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. Perform this procedure at your own risk.

[size=+1]SUMMARY[/size]

This is a modded update package (update.zip) that updates the US Xoom Wi-Fi from any ROM to stock rooted Android 3.2.1 HTK75D using ClockworkMod Recovery:
    • Flashes bootloader from previous update (3.2.1 HTK55D) to ensure integrity
    • Flashes the boot partition with rooted stock 3.2.1 boot image, stock kernel
    • Includes a workaround for the Bluetooth tethering issue that was introduced in 3.2 (note: workaround is in boot.img, so flashing a new kernel/boot.img will overwrite it)
    • Stock kernel includes no extras (overclocking, etc.) from custom kernels
    • Flashes system partition with rooted stock 3.2.1 image (minus the recovery overwrite script)
    • Includes Superuser.apk 3.0 (new) and su binary to enable functioning root (thanks, chainsdd)
    • Leaves existing recovery partition intact (stock 3.2.1 update overwrites it on every reboot)
    • Leaves user data intact (note: some users updating from custom ROM's recommend wiping data/factory reset to prevent issues)

[size=+1]PREPARATION[/size]

[size=+1]PROCEDURE[/size]
    1. Copy/download the modded Android 3.2.1 Update package to the SDCard
    2. Reboot into recovery
      • Reboot your Xoom
      • When the Motorola logo splash screen appears, press the Volume Down button to scroll through boot options and select "--> Android Recovery"
      • Press the Volume Up button to enter Android recovery
    3. Perform update
      Note that in recovery, you use the hardware volume buttons to navigate up and down, and the power button to select. Note also if you are coming over from a custom ROM, users suggest doing a "wipe data/factory reset" in ClockworkMod Recovery prior to performing the following steps.
      • Select "install zip from sdcard"
      • Select "choose zip from sdcard"
      • Select the modded Android 3.2.1 update package
      • Select "Yes - Install <filename>"

"Install from sdcard complete." will indicate that the update is completed.
      • Select "reboot system now"

New bootloader will install. The message, "Congratulation! Your bootloader was successfully upgraded" will be immediately followed by an automatic reboot.
    4. Enjoy your rooted Xoom Wi-Fi, running on Android 3.2.1 HTK75D!

[size=+1]POST-UPDATE NOTES[/size]

• Superuser.apk 3.0: Some issues are being reported; may be updated soon.
    • Bluetooth tether issue workaround: Implemented in boot.img, so flashing new kernel/boot.img will overwrite it.

[size=+1]CHANGELOG[/size]

• v02: HTK75D update (Android version remains unchanged at 3.2.1)
    • v01: First release, HTK55D; includes root, Superuser.apk, su, Bluetooth tether issue workaround
    [size=+1]UPDATE PACKAGE DETAILS (v02)[/size]

BOOTLOADER: flashed with stock 3.2.1 HTK75D bootloader
    • Extracted from previous update package (3.2.1 HTK55D)
    • Bootloader flashed after reboot
    Code:
    BCT[4->4] (vendor: 0x101 product: 0x5454 vers: 0x0)
    RECOVERY: not flashed; left intact​

BOOT: flashed with modded stock 3.2.1 HTK75D boot image with stock kernel
    • Kernel: flashed with stock 3.2.1 HTK75D kernel
      • 2.6.36.3-g111d827 android-build@apa28 #1
      • Includes no extras (overclocking, etc.) from custom kernels
    • default.prop: modded HTK75D default.prop (ramdisk)
      Code:
      ro.secure=0
      ro.allow.mock.location=1
      ro.debuggable=1
      persist.service.adb.enable=1
    • ADDED: Workaround for the Bluetooth tethering issue
      • Issue introduced in 3.2 HTJ85B
      • Flashing a new kernel/boot.img will overwrite the workaround
    SYSTEM: flashed with modded stock 3.2.1 HTK75D system image
    • build.prop: stock 3.2.1 HTK75D build.prop
      Code:
      ro.build.fingerprint=motorola/tervigon/wingray:3.2.1/HTK75D/190830:user/release-keys
      ro.build.description=tervigon-user 3.2.1 HTK75D 190830 release-keys
    • REMOVED: Stock recovery install script, patch
    • ADDED: Superuser.apk 3.0 (new) and su binary to enable functioning root (thanks, chainsdd)
    USERDATA: not flashed; left intact​
    I'll give that a shot. I think I'm also going to wait for an update to be posted for the new update. Looks like all it does is update market and a couple of other "fixes" from what I can tell. Not worth the hassle unless a dev has posted a package here that I can flash from recovery.

I'll post one late tonight.
    OP updated, v02 posted (Android 3.2.1 HTK75D update)
    have you noticed any changes from 3.2 to 3.2.1?

I haven't been using it like a normal user yet, so I haven't noticed any differences. It's a small update, though, with the following files having notable patches/updates:

• Bootloader
    • Recovery
    • Boot image (kernel 2.6.36.3-g111d827, also corresponding small update to bcm4329.ko)
    • /system/etc/security/cacerts.bks (probably response to DigiNotar debacle)
    • /system/framework/bouncycastle.odex
    • /system/app/NetworkLocation.apk
    • /system/lib/libskia.so
    • /system/lib/modules/bcm4329.ko (tiny update, probably due to new kernel)

In addition, a slew of system APK's, framework JAR's and ODEX's, and other miscellaneous files got touched, but the patches were so small that they're likely just version updates or minor bug fixes.

An official changelog (if we get one) would provide further clarification.

EDIT: HTK75D notable file updates:
    • Recovery
    • /system/app/Phonesky.apk (new Android Market 3.1.6)
    • /system/app/BooksTablet.apk
    • /system/app/BooksTablet.odex
    • /system/app/Music2.odex
    • /system/app/SystemUI.odex
    • /system/app/SystemUI.apk
    • /system/app/VideoEditorGoogle.apk
    • /system/app/VideoEditorGoogle.odex
    • /system/app/Videos.apk
    • /system/app/Videos.odex
    • /system/app/YouTubeTablet.apk
    • /system/app/YouTubeTablet.odex