[Root] Samsung galaxy beam I8530

Search This thread

shabbypenguin

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 30, 2010
Hey guys im gunna try to keep it short. happen to be browsing thru android Q&A and saw a thread of people trying to get root on a phone so i figured id help em out :)

luckily sammobile had the stock tar up for it so it was just a matter of grabbing that, unpacking the initramfs. then grabbing kernel source and compiling a rooting kernel.

Kernel
Odin
Drivers

Credits:
Sammobile for having the tar :)
hallihallo87 for testing my kernel

Like my work? you could always help pay for my daughters college ;)

Last edited:

shabbypenguin

May 30, 2010
Instructions​

Download the 3 files above
extract odin-1.85.zip
install the drivers
click on pda and select the rooted kernel tar
put your phone into download mode
Download mode is power + volume down + home
once you are in download mode connect via usb
you should see a yellow com pop up in the far left box
click start

congrats :)

sorry for the vague instructions guys they will improve as time goes on as people who actually have the phone chip in ;)

Last edited:

TheUniversal

Jul 23, 2012
Has anyone tried the SIXAXIS tool for PS3 Controllers? it doesn't seem work for me unfortunately. :(

I've read that the rom probably doesn't have all required bluetooth protocols in order to make it work and that a custom rom like Cyanogen will be required.

Would it be possible to take the Bluetooth Stack from a Cyanogen mod and put it in the Galaxy Beam ROM? Maybe from the Samsung Galaxy S2 Cyanogen Mod as the phone is mostly the same minus the projector.

I doubt there will ever be a Cyanogen Mod project for the Galaxy Beam unfortunately. :(

Reactions: alrayes.m

hallihallo87

Jul 21, 2008
Odense
Has anyone tried the SIXAXIS tool for PS3 Controllers? it doesn't seem work for me unfortunately. :(

I've read that the rom probably doesn't have all required bluetooth protocols in order to make it work and that a custom rom like Cyanogen will be required.

Would it be possible to take the Bluetooth Stack from a Cyanogen mod and put it in the Galaxy Beam ROM? Maybe from the Samsung Galaxy S2 Cyanogen Mod as the phone is mostly the same minus the projector.

I doubt there will ever be a Cyanogen Mod project for the Galaxy Beam unfortunately. :(

We will need to port ClockwordMod, so the cfw will be easier, but i don´t know how to make a dump. I only have a dump from Odin Mobile.
We need to look at "Samsung I9070 Galaxy S Advance" as it is the same phone (without projector) all the specs is the same, not Galaxy S II.

But i can see if i can get it to work tomorrow. I have a Ps3 (3.55 CFW)

Reactions: alrayes.m

TheUniversal

Jul 23, 2012
We will need to port ClockwordMod, so the cfw will be easier, but i don´t know how to make a dump. I only have a dump from Odin Mobile.
We need to look at "Samsung I9070 Galaxy S Advance" as it is the same phone (without projector) all the specs is the same, not Galaxy S II.

But i can see if i can get it to work tomorrow. I have a Ps3 (3.55 CFW)

I had a look at the Galaxy S Advance and there are no Ice Cream Sandwich releases for it. :(

I'm also still looking for a way to add usb host mode.

Last edited:

richie_mp

Mar 2, 2008
@shabbypenguin Kudos to you !! , you've done awesome. the root is working fine and only thing all us can hope is CWM recovery if you could help us in that it would be amazing, though i am willing to help in development (like beta testing / dumps). hopefully we shall have CWM soon and make use of this awesome phone.

regards,
richie

lejoh

Jun 30, 2009
hi there,
successfully rooted my beam but ever since the focus for the projector doesn't work anymore.
anyone else with this problem or my phone have a hardware problem ?
how can I go back to official kernel please ?
thanks

Last edited:

lejoh

Jun 30, 2009
update:
I installed the latest firmware LH3 from samfirmware.
the focus still didn't work after that so I shook the phone a little bit and it came back to life so I guess it wasn't a software problem.
I'll keep you informed if further development arouse

mewzik86

Aug 13, 2010
Redmi Note 10 Pro
Google Pixel 7
TWRP?

So.... the guys over at a thread for hacking the i9070 (galaxy s advance):
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1640757
were successfull at embedding TWRP (recovery) into their kernel. Since this phone is very similar to the i8530, i was wondering how risky it would be to flash that kernel on the i8530. If anybody has any knowlege about this, please enlighten me so that I can have a better understanding about the risk i would be taking if i flash my i8530 with the hacked kernel for the i9070. (e.g.. will the difference in screen technology cause any problems? i8530=tft, i9070=super amoled.

richie_mp

Mar 2, 2008
I8530XXLH3 Root ?

hey shabby ,
+1 on the request to root I8530XXLH3, i am waiting to flash that build , but hesitant to do so untill root is there......

P.S. : are you familiar with recovery too ? cause we really need custom recovery and at the moment you are the only dev we can look up-to :)

best regards,
richie

Last edited:

shabbypenguin

May 30, 2010
hey shabby ,
+1 on the request to root I8530XXLH3, i am waiting to flash that build , but hesitant to do so untill root is there......

P.S. : are you familiar with recovery too ? cause we really need custom recovery and at the moment you are the only dev we can look up-to :)

best regards,
richie

i cant promise anything with cwm, but i suppose i can try but ill need testers. as for rooting new firmwares this kernel should work on all versions of GB, until samsung updates kernel source i cant build a newer kernel.

since i dotn have the phone im not going to bother checking on the device files everyday so if someone could PM when new kernel source comes out ill update my kernel :)

richie_mp

Mar 2, 2008
i cant promise anything with cwm, but i suppose i can try but ill need testers. as for rooting new firmwares this kernel should work on all versions of GB, until samsung updates kernel source i cant build a newer kernel.

since i dotn have the phone im not going to bother checking on the device files everyday so if someone could PM when new kernel source comes out ill update my kernel :)

i have read in the forum somewhere that i9070 guys have successfully integrated TWRP (Team Win recovery project ) recovery in their phones, so probably we can have that one because apart from screen and projector all is same, is it worth the mention ?

http://teamwin.in

regards,
richie

Last edited:

shabbypenguin

May 30, 2010
here is a test cwm build i made, please lemme know how/if it works.

if it boots into cwm then dont flash anything, do a backup and let me know the sizes etc of the backup files. would hate for you to brick your phone cuz you wanted to restore a backup etc

www.shabbypenguin.com/OUDstuff/Samsung/Random/Beam/Beam-I8530-Test-CWM.tar

as far as future firmwares are concerned, so long as its GB this rooted kernel should work. when you get an update to ICS i will absolutly have to make a new one for yall. but i cant do so until http://awesomescreenshot.com/0dch109f6 gets updated :/

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys im gunna try to keep it short. happen to be browsing thru android Q&A and saw a thread of people trying to get root on a phone so i figured id help em out :)

luckily sammobile had the stock tar up for it so it was just a matter of grabbing that, unpacking the initramfs. then grabbing kernel source and compiling a rooting kernel.

Kernel
    Odin
    Drivers

Credits:
    Sammobile for having the tar :)
    hallihallo87 for testing my kernel

Like my work? you could always help pay for my daughters college ;)
    Instructions​

Download the 3 files above
    extract odin-1.85.zip
    install the drivers
    click on pda and select the rooted kernel tar
    put your phone into download mode
    Download mode is power + volume down + home
    once you are in download mode connect via usb
    you should see a yellow com pop up in the far left box
    click start

congrats :)

sorry for the vague instructions guys they will improve as time goes on as people who actually have the phone chip in ;)
    Galaxy Beam, GT-I8530 (TWRP Kernel)

so, with a lot of research, help from the guys in the [DEV]i9070 forum and diego-ch's github source code, i was able to compile a TWRP kernel for the i8530. So far, everything works well, including projector. The TWRP was tested by creating a backup, as well as flashing the uniroot.zip. Both test were successful. Here is the kernel for all those that want to try.
    Added:
    -Root
    -Adobe flash player
    -Mod.youtube (download button for video & mp3)
    -Adfree
    -Removed yahoo apps..

Wipe version:
    Download Stock_Root_Odex_I8530XXAMF1-4.1.2

How to flash:
    View attachment 2083856

NoWipe version:
    Download Stock_Root_Odex_I8530XXAMF1-4.1.2

How to flash:
    View attachment 2085243
    it will not, you will need to use voodoo ota root keeper, from there if someone dumps the kernel i can compile a new JB friendly rooted kernel