Search This thread

immortalneo

Jan 25, 2011
Malappuram, Kerala
There are a lot of people joining XDA on a daily basis, and there are a lot of repetitive questions being asked
which clutter up the Development and 'Q & A' threads. Point them here. Feel free to ask or answer questions.

The idea of this thread is to get users to help other users with their problems/questions. People are usually
ridiculed for asking questions that other people deem stupid even though it may be a legitimate question. This
leads to new users being afraid to ask questions!

Only provide well mannered help towards users in this thread. Please do not spoon feed, but rather point in
the direction where that user can find an answer
and educate himself. If you don't want to answer, at least
point out where to find the answer.

Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read THIS thread.

Then, have a quick look at the names of threads in Post No. 2, you might find what you need right away.

Third. Even if you do get your question answered, please do come back and read threads in Post No. 2
(coming later as soon as we start getting the guides) to educate yourself. You'll be surprised how much time
and frustration it will save you in the future!

No abuse towards noobs tolerated here! That means:
NO TROLLING
NO NAME CALLING
NO RIDICULING
NO FLAMING

ASK ANY QUESTION HERE! No question is stupid or irrelevant in this thread. You will either get an answer or will get pointed in the right direction.

*A Special Thanks to mark manning for his help in creating this thread*

HALL OF FAME

People who contributed most to this thread and helped countless number of people with their
problems/questions. In no particular order.

Bruce Wayne
post-mortem
SilentStrider
Ghostfreak NB
mayank9856
sgs22012
Zatta
ADDICT.ANK

These people also have the right to use the banner below:
Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif

Just add this code to your signature:
HTML:
[URL="http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2257421"][IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41066660/Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif[/IMG][/URL]

Last edited:

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III
HTC Thunderbolt
Hi everyone!

New and noob question here.

I've recently had my Nokia 8 hard bricked on me, been a few weeks now :(

I am thinking of doing a full dump of the EMMC, through the Qualcomm 9008, my question is, will I be able to extract my contacts and messages from this?

If you can get a qcomm 9008 port connection, you should be able to use that to potentially unbrick your device.

Do some searches for how to unbrick qcomm devices using the various qcomm 9008 unbrick methods.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

trulden

Nov 4, 2019
Moscow
I am trying to create a post in «Android Apps And Games» and getting this error:

We are sorry, your post was flagged by our system and was blocked from submitting. If you believe this was in error, please use our technical contact form to notify an admin. Please include the title of your post as well as content, so we can tweak update our filters in the future. Thank you.

Used «Report a technical problem.» form in contacts several days ago, got no answer.

What should I do?

ktmom

Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 22, 2015
Deep Space Station K7
I am trying to create a post in «Android Apps And Games» and getting this error:

Used «Report a technical problem.» form in contacts several days ago, got no answer.

What should I do?
Change the wording of your post? There was something that was caught by the filters.

You could also post for assistance in the https://xdaforums.com/general/about-xda forum where moderators hang out. But please be specific as to what you were posting that was the problem

Benholder90

Oct 24, 2014
London
Decreasing size of status bar text and icons

How to do it? I already have the screen zoom settings lowest and the font size lowest too.but still it's too big for my liking .. I have tried changing the dpi setting but that doesn't do what I'm after

Does anyone know?

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
HTC Thunderbolt
How to do it? I already have the screen zoom settings lowest and the font size lowest too.but still it's too big for my liking .. I have tried changing the dpi setting but that doesn't do what I'm after

Does anyone know?
It depends. what model number do you have? What android version do you have? Rooted? Not rooted? Stock? Custom ROM?

Info man, give us as much info as you can.

Nokia_8_fan

Oct 29, 2019
London
If you can get a qcomm 9008 port connection, you should be able to use that to potentially unbrick your device.

Do some searches for how to unbrick qcomm devices using the various qcomm 9008 unbrick methods.

I have tried that, and I have came across a couple but I just don't know how much of it applies to my Nokia 8 (since they flash different phone models) and also the potential of my data being wiped.

Wouldn't you think or agree that a backup of everything before carrying such procedure is recommended??

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
HTC Thunderbolt
I have tried that, and I have came across a couple but I just don't know how much of it applies to my Nokia 8 (since they flash different phone models) and also the potential of my data being wiped.

Wouldn't you think or agree that a backup of everything before carrying such procedure is recommended??
I would agree.

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016

You are bricked or you are trying to backup something? Also your bootloader is unlocked or atleast is unlockable?

Nokia_8_fan

Oct 29, 2019
London
I would agree.

Excellent!

Thus my question still stands, if I am able to do a full dump of the EMMC, will I be able to extract my contacts and messages from this?

You are bricked or you are trying to backup something? Also your bootloader is unlocked or atleast is unlockable?

I am bricked and trying to backup (before doing anything radical to my Nokia 8). I've done nothing to my phone, everything is stock, so no idea if this bootloader is unlocked or unlockable :(

My backup to cloud was switched off, none on the Sim card, absolutely everything is on that phone (very important contact info and SMS messages) :'(

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
Excellent!

Thus my question still stands, if I am able to do a full dump of the EMMC, will I be able to extract my contacts and messages from this?

I am bricked and trying to backup (before doing anything radical to my Nokia 8). I've done nothing to my phone, everything is stock, so no idea if this bootloader is unlocked or unlockable :(

My backup to cloud was switched off, none on the Sim card, absolutely everything is on that phone (very important contact info and SMS messages) :'(

Ok, this answers the question; ever that you bought it as new then your bootloader is locked and most likely also you didn´t enable USB debugging before so now you have less ways to recover the data.

Depending on the level of brick damage you have some possibilities to recover what you want, it´s mean that if some essential partitions get corrupted the data just disappeared and no way to bring them back.

In the past I have a relative that could recover them by dissasembling the unit and dumping them, this was done for a technician of course with the help of some box prepared for that, it´s mean that just with qualcomm 9008 that you refer I don´t think that would be possible so all the software (without convenient hardware AKA box/dongle, etc) is not enough to do it from those that I know like Qualcomm Downloader/emmc downloader or tools available out there for normal users and the main reason behind is that a device in this state is very unresponsive and must to be forced to get some info from it.

You can take a look on here https://xdaforums.com/android/general/guide-how-to-dump-write-storage-t3949588 but I´m not sure that it´ll work, just showing you some direction. If this method didn´t work then no more way that to send it to a technician with the required equipment for that.

Nokia_8_fan

Oct 29, 2019
London
Ok, this answers the question; ever that you bought it as new then your bootloader is locked and most likely also you didn´t enable USB debugging before so now you have less ways to recover the data.

Depending on the level of brick damage you have some possibilities to recover what you want, it´s mean that if some essential partitions get corrupted the data just disappeared and no way to bring them back.

In the past I have a relative that could recover them by dissasembling the unit and dumping them, this was done for a technician of course with the help of some box prepared for that, it´s mean that just with qualcomm 9008 that you refer I don´t think that would be possible so all the software (without convenient hardware AKA box/dongle, etc) is not enough to do it from those that I know like Qualcomm Downloader/emmc downloader or tools available out there for normal users and the main reason behind is that a device in this state is very unresponsive and must to be forced to get some info from it.

You can take a look on here https://xdaforums.com/android/general/guide-how-to-dump-write-storage-t3949588 but I´m not sure that it´ll work, just showing you some direction. If this method didn´t work then no more way that to send it to a technician with the required equipment for that.

Ohhh man, I have never felt so down and depressed after reading a forum post. Yes I understand "that's life" and I should've backed up etc and etc. but despite the situation being fragile and bad, I didn't think I was close to being hopeless! :(

I can't remember if I enabled USB debugging, but what I do remember is allowed USB reading of the internal storage, so I can access my photos, audio clips, documents, all from downloads too. Even the ability to place my own music albums (only done recently since I need to burn calories at the gym).

The level of brick damage was described here in my original thread: https://xdaforums.com/nokia-8/help/help-nokia-8-powering-unresponsive-t3993959
But I will quote my problem here, and please you tell me the diagnosis :(
I am having some serious issues now with my Nokia 8 of just only 11 months!
Still in pretty good condition, yes it may have had a drop here and there with a rubber casing

Just a couple nights ago I decided to go on my phone (3:30am pprox.) unplug from charger and was just scrolling through facebook via. Chrome and noticed it the whole app froze, and none of the buttons/touchscreen was responsive, didn't even want to lock. Just thought casually to force power off by holding the power/lock button for maybe 10 seconds and thus it did turn off. Straight afterwards I tried turning it on and to my surprise it didn't turn on, even holding the power button for a good length of time, to no avail.
No lights on the panel and didn't even recognise the charger.

I researched here and there and tried the different "holding down" button combos (Volume Up/Down and Power Button) but absolutely nothing!

I thought it was probably stuck on a boot or something, thus I went ahead and removed the screen (will need replacing unfortunately) and disconnected the battery ribbon cable, and after a minute and plugged it back in, hoping that it will finally power on. Nothing changed.

I am now left absolutely scratching my head and almost exhausted my options as I have been left without a phone, missing out on calls and messages for work and now really worried doing the button combos might've erased my phone's data/memory!

Yes, in my original thread too I was recommend to look into "Miracle Box", a box or device you hook your phone to, and software will do its wonders.

While I think it's good, I still feel it's something I have to resort to and (as well for many others) would need to resolve this if they can get the device to recognise Qualcomm HSUSB in the device manager. I'm really clinging to that hope.
QHSUSB.jpg

I've had a look at your link to the general guide, and it seems very plausible. I'm just very very shaky right now, as much as I want to explore all areas, I really on't want to do anything wrong that would hamper my chances in retrieving my contacts and SMS messages. At this point I'm fine with the loss of photos, I don't have anything memorable stored, cause I don't have friends.

Greatest apologies for the lengthy post, I sincerely hope to hear back from anyone! ?

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
I can't remember if I enabled USB debugging, but what I do remember is allowed USB reading of the internal storage

It´s not the same, definitely you didn´t otherwise you´d remember it so this is done intentionally (with a specific purpose)

Anyway this don´t lead you to anywhere so you have locked bootloader, no root so no way to dump through adb commands.

The level of brick damage was described here in my original thread

No way to know for certain the level of brick till you try to recover it using EDL/download method. It could be that the motherboard is actually totally damaged due to an overheat just to give you an example but again just trying to flash something in bricked mode you´ll know this.

Yes, in my original thread too I was recommend to look into "Miracle Box", a box or device you hook your phone to, and software will do its wonders.

As I said before I don´t think that a dumper tool without a proper hardware can do the miracle so this would be the better option at the end....BUT try searching for some dumper tool and just can tell you how you can guide you about which tool could work for you.....:

Your device according this site is powered by a snapdragon 835 https://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_8_sirocco-9087.php so the Mobile Plattform is MSM8998, then if you find some tool and a list of devices supported although is not specifically your device you´ll have to check that some of them have also the same specs at this point.

You can try to dump any partition that the tool could claim to be capable and this by itself doesn´t have to erase nothing (don´t fear about your data) but this will depend in how reliable the tool is.

While I think it's good, I still feel it's something I have to resort to and (as well for many others) would need to resolve this if they can get the device to recognise Qualcomm HSUSB in the device manager. I'm really clinging to that hope.
QHSUSB.jpg

This is the right status detection for qualcomm download mode; not QHUSB_BULK that is an old Q9006 but a Qdloader 9008 as the images reflect. But don´t open in this window but go to PC/Administrate and open Device Manager to get a better vision on the drivers installed and you´ll see your device detected under PORTS (COM and LPT)

I've had a look at your link to the general guide, and it seems very plausible. I'm just very very shaky right now, as much as I want to explore all areas, I really on't want to do anything wrong that would hamper my chances in retrieving my contacts and SMS messages

The way is very clear and the chances are there.

First you need to do is search for a dumper tool and try to dump I think specifically userdata partition so you have to take in account as I said before that this by itself can´t damage your device.

The next would be seeing if the tool is compatible with your MSM otherwise the tool can´t do it.

What´s the next?, pc recognised it, it´s ok but the tool doesn´t recognice it; it´s not so good.
At this point you´ll determine how many tools you want to try before to take the next step...

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
HTC Thunderbolt
Ohhh man, I have never felt so down and depressed after reading a forum post. Yes I understand "that's life" and I should've backed up etc and etc. but despite the situation being fragile and bad, I didn't think I was close to being hopeless! :(

I can't remember if I enabled USB debugging, but what I do remember is allowed USB reading of the internal storage, so I can access my photos, audio clips, documents, all from downloads too. Even the ability to place my own music albums (only done recently since I need to burn calories at the gym).

The level of brick damage was described here in my original thread: https://xdaforums.com/nokia-8/help/help-nokia-8-powering-unresponsive-t3993959

But I will quote my problem here, and please you tell me the diagnosis :(

QHSUSB.jpg

I've had a look at your link to the general guide, and it seems very plausible. I'm just very very shaky right now, as much as I want to explore all areas, I really on't want to do anything wrong that would hamper my chances in retrieving my contacts and SMS messages. At this point I'm fine with the loss of photos, I don't have anything memorable stored, cause I don't have friends.

Greatest apologies for the lengthy post, I sincerely hope to hear back from anyone! [emoji120]
I'm not sure if granting USB access to internal storage is enough for the level that you are trying to access. Granting access to internal storage is pretty much only access to /data/media. You are trying to retreive data from areas that are not considered "internal storage".

Reactions: SubwayChamp

ktmom

Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 22, 2015
Deep Space Station K7
Seems to me that you didnt see my post with the specifics
Your right, and now it's buried even further. In a thread like this, where there are multiple conversations going on, it's in your best interest to minimally quote or tag (@ symbol in front of their username) in any response.

For example, in your post that started this side conversation, you quoted droiddriven, but if you had also quoted your response, then adding your comment, it would be clear that you had responded and still needed assistance.

It will help you in the long run if you keep the flow connected.

Reactions: mrrocketdog

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
HTC Thunderbolt
Note 8, android 9, rooted, custom rom
Well, I don't have your device so I'm not familiar with what features and settings your device has. My intent was to see if there may be some kind of well-hidden setting for font size and icon size/appearance in your device settings somewhere. Some of my devices have had such settings built-in, including Samsung devices.

Sorry, but I can't find anything.

Benholder90

Oct 24, 2014
London
Well, I don't have your device so I'm not familiar with what features and settings your device has. My intent was to see if there may be some kind of well-hidden setting for font size and icon size/appearance in your device settings somewhere. Some of my devices have had such settings built-in, including Samsung devices.

Sorry, but I can't find anything.

Well I was more thinking of some third party app or something .. I remember on my old lg g3 there were some apps that could do it one was really good it was an xposed module

Top Liked Posts