A good read if you're interested with porting Ubuntu touch preview.

Search This thread

jordanetodd

Jul 23, 2010
Huntington Beach
Well, a quick update. I have a build. But I did something wrong, somewhere.

The zip's flash with no problem (TWRP), but it just keeps booting into recovery. Maybe I'll try CWM for ****s and giggles. But if it doesn't work, I'm just going to drop the project and someone else can pick it up. Gotta get back to my college work.

If i can get WiFi working on Ubuntu for my macbook, then ill be starting my port tonight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

jayRokk

Jan 12, 2012
Rack City

The zip's flash with no problem (TWRP), but it just keeps booting into recovery. Maybe I'll try CWM for ****s and giggles. But if it doesn't work, I'm just going to drop the project and someone else can pick it up. Gotta get back to my college work.

I talked to some Sprint/Verizon S3 users who ported as well and they both got the same thing . a non boot ROM.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

jayRokk

Jan 12, 2012
Rack City
Well, that's a bit of relief. I guess it will happen eventually. Just probably not by me :p

So far only one person on a Verizon S3 has it booted up

He's in RootzWiki.. Let me fetch the link

Edit: http://rootzwiki.com/topic/39299-romwip-ubuntu-touch-on-d2vzw-dev-previewphantom-022213/ [ROM][WIP]-Ubuntu-Touch-on-d2vzw-[Dev-Preview][Phantom]-[02/22/13]

Talk to him and see what he did to get it to boot up :)

Last edited:

Getz2oo3

Oct 8, 2011
The 'Ville
It's funny you posted this.

As I type this I'm currently working on the port for the AT&T S3. It's about 60% or so finished.

From what I know so far. Ubuntu Touch only supports data on GSM - - soo....going by that...Technically we should be able to get data on D2ATT right???? RIGHT???? lol

Anyways - -Bravo! I'll be following you closely til you put up your build. I really wanna try this out. Buddy of mine with a Nexus 7 already has it - he said it's pretty cool. Yar

willbs94

Dec 2, 2010
Lebanon, MO
From what I know so far. Ubuntu Touch only supports data on GSM - - soo....going by that...Technically we should be able to get data on D2ATT right???? RIGHT???? lol

Anyways - -Bravo! I'll be following you closely til you put up your build. I really wanna try this out. Buddy of mine with a Nexus 7 already has it - he said it's pretty cool. Yar

Something was said about no APN settings were set. Soooo idk

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

ima.monstaaa

Aug 31, 2012
Anyone who is looking to use this as a daily driver is going to be very disappointed. None of the apps are fully functional and I don't think mobile data is going to work at all. Using it on my Nexus, I was able to look through the UI, open a few broswer pages ( but entering text into fields on the page seemed to only work for a few characters), and use the Gmail and Facebook app. The camera did not function, the side stage had not been implemented, 90% of the apps are simply icons on the desktop or a nonfunctional splash screen. This is intended for developers to get an idea of what they're developing their apps for. If you know what you're doing, you may be able to get a little more functionality out of it by making some changes via SSH/ADB, but it does not seem that there is even much you can do with that as of now. That being said, I was super excited to try it out on my Nexus 7 and only used it for about an hour before I reflashed Android back to it. About an hour was all I needed to do everything it had to offer. I do believe it has great potential and is something that can compete with Android, just at this point its nothing more than "This is how it might look."

jordanetodd

Jul 23, 2010
Huntington Beach
Anyone who is looking to use this as a daily driver is going to be very disappointed. None of the apps are fully functional and I don't think mobile data is going to work at all. Using it on my Nexus, I was able to look through the UI, open a few broswer pages ( but entering text into fields on the page seemed to only work for a few characters), and use the Gmail and Facebook app. The camera did not function, the side stage had not been implemented, 90% of the apps are simply icons on the desktop or a nonfunctional splash screen. This is intended for developers to get an idea of what they're developing their apps for. If you know what you're doing, you may be able to get a little more functionality out of it by making some changes via SSH/ADB, but it does not seem that there is even much you can do with that as of now. That being said, I was super excited to try it out on my Nexus 7 and only used it for about an hour before I reflashed Android back to it. About an hour was all I needed to do everything it had to offer. I do believe it has great potential and is something that can compete with Android, just at this point its nothing more than "This is how it might look."

Thanks for the post. The port is booting but i borked something with device specifics, so I'm probably going to leave it considering it isn't functional unless you are an app developer, in which case i would suggest a nexus device anyways.

Sorry guys, maybe when a more.... Useful build is out ill put more time into porting it over.

Dave the Knave

Apr 18, 2008
Baltimore
Thanks for the post. The port is booting but i borked something with device specifics, so I'm probably going to leave it considering it isn't functional unless you are an app developer, in which case i would suggest a nexus device anyways.

Sorry guys, maybe when a more.... Useful build is out ill put more time into porting it over.

Looks like you got a step further then I did. Mine wouldn't boot no matter what I did. Personally, I'd still love to see what it looks like. But I don't have the time to build it or maintain it for a thread here on XDA or anywhere. Between balancing college and my job, I'm exhausted and have little free time now. Spring break cannot come soon enough.

cjranucci

Nov 7, 2007
Dallas, TX

Well how far did you get? Where is the source so someone can pick it up?

jayRokk

Jan 12, 2012
Rack City
ima.monstaaa is correct.
I saw the preview on the nexus 7 on YouTube and the only thing that really works is the browser. Facebook app uses the browser as well to open. The rest of the icons like people, music and pictures are there as a splash screen and won't change. The calls/messages are there as well just for show. No function or anything.
Even so I'd like to see what's it like to run in our devices.

How long do you guys give it before we have some sort of beta or a RC?
A month or two??

I can't wait for this :)

ima.monstaaa

Aug 31, 2012
ima.monstaaa is correct.
I saw the preview on the nexus 7 on YouTube and the only thing that really works is the browser. Facebook app uses the browser as well to open. The rest of the icons like people, music and pictures are there as a splash screen and won't change. The calls/messages are there as well just for show. No function or anything.
Even so I'd like to see what's it like to run in our devices.

How long do you guys give it before we have some sort of beta or a RC?
A month or two??

I can't wait for this :)

I bet it will be much sooner than that, it really doesn't seem to difficult to port the preview image. It may become easier/harder when they implement the full Ubuntu-based build. If it was worth taking the time to port I would give it a shot, but having used it on my Nexus I don't feel its really worth the time right now as others have said. It was quite fun to see the new UI and kind of what to expect, but all the features I was most interested in checking out (sidestage, customization and such) have not been implemented. There is a way to enable sidestage via SSH, but I was having issues getting it to connect through SSH, though ADB did work just fine to explore files/push/pull and whatever else.

I'm trying to be patient and wait on a fully functional build, but if they release something that's actually usable I'll give the port a go.

EDIT: I totally read your post wrong and went in completely different direction. I'll put my guess for a beta Ubuntu-based build to be released mid-late summer. I'm sure we'll get some bits and pieces in between, since they seem to be planning on daily builds, but you know they won't give us the good stuff till they're ready. Maybe even a few surprises.

My main gripe though, is if the don't let you disable the "scopes" on your desktop pages. I don't want to see suggested content, that's most likely irrelevant to me, covering my desktop.

Last edited:
Reactions: jayRokk

jayRokk

Jan 12, 2012
Rack City
EDIT: I totally read your post wrong and went in completely different direction. I'll put my guess for a beta Ubuntu-based build to be released mid-late summer. I'm sure we'll get some bits and pieces in between, since they seem to be planning on daily builds, but you know they won't give us the good stuff till they're ready. Maybe even a few surprises.

My main gripe though, is if the don't let you disable the "scopes" on your desktop pages. I don't want to see suggested content, that's most likely irrelevant to me, covering my desktop.

Yeah I'm hoping the scopes will have an option to disable or customize them.

As for a release of a beta I'm guessing root users will have the first official builds since they are using CM as a base.
Still can't wait :)

jordanetodd

Jul 23, 2010
Huntington Beach

I had to delete it, but I'm starting over to see if I can get it to work with the device specifics for the kernel.

Mind you, I'm doing this in my little free time, but hopefully I can get the source out in a couple days.

I'm kind of hoping that the Ubuntu Touch preview will get more updates soon, this has some awesome potential.

Reactions: Makoers

Dave the Knave

Apr 18, 2008
Baltimore

I had to delete it, but I'm starting over to see if I can get it to work with the device specifics for the kernel.

Mind you, I'm doing this in my little free time, but hopefully I can get the source out in a couple days.

I'm kind of hoping that the Ubuntu Touch preview will get more updates soon, this has some awesome potential.

I also didn't bother uploading it since I never got it to work. A little while before that post I had already wiped the hard drive in my laptop and restored my Acronis TrueImage backup.

jordanetodd

Jul 23, 2010
Huntington Beach
I also didn't bother uploading it since I never got it to work. A little while before that post I had already wiped the hard drive in my laptop and restored my Acronis TrueImage backup.

For some reason terminal thinks im running a 32 bit architecture, halfway through the process... What am i doing wrong? Ain't nobody got time for that.

Reactions: Dave the Knave

Dave the Knave

Apr 18, 2008
Baltimore
For some reason terminal thinks im running a 32 bit architecture, halfway through the process... What am i doing wrong? Ain't nobody got time for that.

I didn't have that happen. But building on an AMD Athlon Neo X2 (1.6Ghz dual core) is slow and painful. Never again.

Next time I'll just Wubi it on my desktop. 8 cores is better then 2! And this SSD helps a lot.

Reactions: jordanetodd

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It's funny you posted this.

As I type this I'm currently working on the port for the AT&T S3. It's about 60% or so finished.
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Porting