AOSP Browser on Touchwiz 4.3?

Search This thread

Div033

Aug 17, 2010
I've been struggling to get the AOSP Browser to work properly on the new TW update. It installs and launches okay, but force closes upon pressing menu. I've tried side loading it in system/app (with a couple other dependencies) and installing Android Browser from the play store. Has anyone succeeded in doing this?

On the same note, I'm having a similar experience with installing Google Talk. It's a superior piece of software when compared to hangouts so I'd prefer to use the better option, but it too encounters issues upon being side loaded... Mainly, it cannot connect to my account upon opening.

Any information would be great. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

ThePagel

Jul 6, 2012
Minneapolis
I've been struggling to get the AOSP Browser to work properly on the new TW update. It installs and launches okay, but force closes upon pressing menu. I've tried side loading it in system/app (with a couple other dependencies) and installing Android Browser from the play store. Has anyone succeeded in doing this?

On the same note, I'm having a similar experience with installing Google Talk. It's a superior piece of software when compared to hangouts so I'd prefer to use the better option, but it too encounters issues upon being side loaded... Mainly, it cannot connect to my account upon opening.

Any information would be great. Thanks in advance!

isn't chrome the new aosp browser? Plus 4.3 has the old aosp browser pre installed (the one that has the globe as the icon).

Div033

Aug 17, 2010
isn't chrome the new aosp browser? Plus 4.3 has the old aosp browser pre installed (the one that has the globe as the icon).

Nope and not exactly.

Yes, it is known that Google has replaced the AOSP browser with Chrome, but the two are very different in their rendering engines and plugin support. Chrome likes to do a lot of weird things, like size up text randomly. It also doesn't support flash.

The browser that comes with 4.3 TW is closer to the AOSP browser, but has been massively reworked by Samsung. It can only hold open 16 tabs at a time and has caching issues which forces me to close it via task manager before it will start loading pages again.

ThePagel

Jul 6, 2012
Minneapolis
Nope and not exactly.

Yes, it is known that Google has replaced the AOSP browser with Chrome, but the two are very different in their rendering engines and plugin support. Chrome likes to do a lot of weird things, like size up text randomly. It also doesn't support flash.

The browser that comes with 4.3 TW is closer to the AOSP browser, but has been massively reworked by Samsung. It can only hold open 16 tabs at a time and has caching issues which forces me to close it via task manager before it will start loading pages again.

Thank you for informing me on that! I use to love chrome but now that the aosp/TW edited asop browser syncs my chrome bookmarks I stay away from it.

ThePagel

Jul 6, 2012
Minneapolis
Since no one seems to have a answer for you if you give me a market link or whatever link I'll see if I have the same problem.

DigitalMD

Mar 16, 2010
Washington DC
Seems Google is abandoning support for what used to be the ASOP browser and Android 4.4 support for the old browser has lost some functionality because of built-in engine change from Webkit to Chromium.

Div033

Aug 17, 2010
Here is the market link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=me.android.browser

Google's been making a number of questionable "improvements" to its app catalog that have resulted in a less user-friendly experience. New maps, Hangouts and Chrome are not as good as their predecessors. Hangouts and Maps specifically are quite laggy and buggy.

If they keep butchering their core apps then I'll probably start looking outside Android... I dunno... Despite these steps backward, Android is probably still the best option.

ThePagel

Jul 6, 2012
Minneapolis
Here is the market link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=me.android.browser

Google's been making a number of questionable "improvements" to its app catalog that have resulted in a less user-friendly experience. New maps, Hangouts and Chrome are not as good as their predecessors. Hangouts and Maps specifically are quite laggy and buggy.

If they keep butchering their core apps then I'll probably start looking outside Android... I dunno... Despite these steps backward, Android is probably still the best option.

Yeah menu crashes the app for me as well.