[Tool] Official flash tool for unlocked Xperia devices (beta)

Search This thread

KalleD

May 6, 2011
Hi devs,

Today we have released a beta version of our new flash tool for Xperia devices. With this tool, you can flash standard Sony software on you Xperia™ smartphone with an unlocked boot loader. This is the first time we provide a way to go from a custom ROM to a Sony software, for those of you who would like that. Note that the boot loader still stays unlocked, and just like before the warranty may still be voided.

Since this is a beta version, only a limited number of phone models and software versions are supported to start with, but we plan to add support for more models going forward.

We are really eager to hear what you think about this initiative. Is this a useful service? And what phone models and software would you like to see support for in the future? Please share your opinion in this thread!

Read more on Developer World!

/Karl-Johan “Kalle” Dahlström
Sony Developer Program

metalrawk

Oct 6, 2011
A big and great step. hope other manufacturers learn something from this.
these are the reasons why I never bought a single phone other than Sony Ericsson, There was always a lot to mod/customize even in feature phones :good:

Reactions: metcard

papayayoghurt

Feb 7, 2012
Vienna
How to get this to work if you unlocked the Bootloader using Testpoint Method?

Gesendet von meinem Xperia Arc S mit Tapatalk 2

SXUsr

Jul 11, 2010
Here =)
How is this different to the original Flashtool, SEUS or PC Companion? I'd much prefer to see Sony provide an easier way to root a stock ROM than another form of what's already available.

Sent from myushi

Gilg@mesh

Jan 15, 2009
Stockholm
I don't own any Sony phone (read this on Swedroid) but it should be possible to get the bootloader locked again...

fakhrulfaris

Dec 18, 2010
Ipoh
Wow thats cool....eventhough im using stock rom right now, but this tool can make me safe if anything gone pissoff on my custom rom... Now i can install other rom without worrying cannot get stock rom officialy back....waiting for my devices to be available soon :)

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
How is this different to the original Flashtool, SEUS or PC Companion? I'd much prefer to see Sony provide an easier way to root a stock ROM than another form of what's already available.

Sent from myushi

It looks like "flashtool" on XDA requires you to have a firmware package. This sony "flash tool" will download the firmware for you. (This is the disadvantage of using such generic software names. ;) ) It looks kind of similar to Samsung Kies, except unlike Kies, it's specifically able to return a modified device to stock, whereas Kies becomes useless if the phone has had any changes made from stock firmware (even, in the case of the Infuse, if Samsung pulls an official update due to issue reports - anyone who accepted the pulled update was unable to update to the final version of Gingerbread for a LONG time.)

Not familiar with SEUS or PC Companion - are those officially released to the public, or just "internal" tools that have made their way out (like Samsung Odin)?

M

Mr_Bartek

Stripped down Emma, very good. :)

However, the Developer World domain has old FWs. Hopefully that gets sorted soon!

Reactions: Equama

ChavitoArg

Aug 13, 2011
Why dont u work together with the original "Flashtool of xda"? They have made a really good and multiplatform tool since 2010, was originaly for the x10 and now is for almost all xperia devices, is a lot of effort and you come here and release almost the same thing. You should provide your server for them, dont take me wrong and please consider it.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9100 usando XDA Premium HD app

---------- Post added at 02:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 PM ----------

Originally Posted by XperienceD

Sent from myushi

It looks like "flashtool" on XDA requires you to have a firmware package. This sony "flash tool" will download the firmware for you. (This is the disadvantage of using such generic software names. ;) ) It looks kind of similar to Samsung Kies, except unlike Kies, it's specifically able to return a modified device to stock, whereas Kies becomes useless if the phone has had any changes made from stock firmware (even, in the case of the Infuse, if Samsung pulls an official update due to issue reports - anyone who accepted the pulled update was unable to update to the final version of Gingerbread for a LONG time.)

Not familiar with SEUS or PC Companion - are those officially released to the public, or just "internal" tools that have made their way out (like Samsung Odin)?

SEUS is sony ericsson update service, now is called SUS (just sony) and PC Companion is the same thing but more featured, they are both official sony product released to public, SUS is just older but both online and working :)

The odin equivalent is EMMA, but is sony internal soft, no public acces chance ^^

Last edited:

SXUsr

Jul 11, 2010
Here =)
It looks like "flashtool" on XDA requires you to have a firmware package. This sony "flash tool" will download the firmware for you. (This is the disadvantage of using such generic software names. ;) )
I guess something like that will come in handy for some People, but I will just continue to use the generic ftf's and the Flashtool found here on XDA when I need to update.

Official software...

Sony Ericsson Update Service

PC Companion

...I suppose Sony on their own requires something new, but SEUS could have been renamed and tweaked a little to accommodate for custom ROMs already being installed.

DomusX10

Feb 16, 2011
Rome
OnePlus 8 Pro
Good news for our that have unlock sony device with official method...sony learn to understand what their customers want, and it's good.

But a stupid question: Why sony does not make available the opportunity to re-lock the bootloader and get back the DRM rights? I mean, if an user decides to return to the stock rom, maybe would also like his DRM rights back, to use fully (for example) walkman with download album art or Movie apps download info...etc...

This thing is not possible? Might be an idea for those who restores the original ROM and rights...

androidseb

Jan 6, 2012
Spremberg
Nice Software i have test it with the sexplay and i have one question what fw is that what me EMMA show:

Play_Test Software Update Content Refresh Developer World

there are no informations.

kurosaki99

Jul 25, 2012
Seremban
Nice Software i have test it with the sexplay and i have one question what fw is that what me EMMA show:

Play_Test Software Update Content Refresh Developer World

there are no informations.
man , right now this flashtool only supported 3 devices that is xperia s, arc , arc s . play still not supported . just wait until they support our device .

jimbobcox

Nov 5, 2010
Would be nice to see an official Sony beta Jelly Bean Rom to go with this new beta flashtool!! :D

Sent from my LT26i using xda app-developers app

wahlis

Sep 3, 2009
Well, that was one way to downgrade the phone...

I didn't read the version numbers correctly in the tool. I assumed that I would automatically get the very latest available version for my Arc S. Instead I installed 2.3.4 (which Sony for some reason calls 4.0.2.A.62).

Am I just stupid or is this tool useless in this current beta version?

androidseb

Jan 6, 2012
Spremberg
man , right now this flashtool only supported 3 devices that is xperia s, arc , arc s . play still not supported . just wait until they support our device .

it was a test and a normal question because i interest me why that comes.

Sent from my Xperia Play with NXT ICS XPLAY ROM by markphyton and Advanced Stock Kernel by Doomlord

OFFICIAL ROM TESTER FROM MARKPHYTON

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
Why dont u work together with the original "Flashtool of xda"? They have made a really good and multiplatform tool since 2010, was originaly for the x10 and now is for almost all xperia devices, is a lot of effort and you come here and release almost the same thing. You should provide your server for them, dont take me wrong and please consider it.

---------- Post added at 02:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 PM ----------

SEUS is sony ericsson update service, now is called SUS (just sony) and PC Companion is the same thing but more featured, they are both official sony product released to public, SUS is just older but both online and working :)

The odin equivalent is EMMA, but is sony internal soft, no public acces chance ^^

Ah, so it sounds like SUS and PC Companion are similar to Kies in that they might not work too well when trying to go "from" a modified software?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi devs,

Today we have released a beta version of our new flash tool for Xperia devices. With this tool, you can flash standard Sony software on you Xperia™ smartphone with an unlocked boot loader. This is the first time we provide a way to go from a custom ROM to a Sony software, for those of you who would like that. Note that the boot loader still stays unlocked, and just like before the warranty may still be voided.

Since this is a beta version, only a limited number of phone models and software versions are supported to start with, but we plan to add support for more models going forward.

We are really eager to hear what you think about this initiative. Is this a useful service? And what phone models and software would you like to see support for in the future? Please share your opinion in this thread!

Read more on Developer World!

/Karl-Johan “Kalle” Dahlström
    Sony Developer Program
    Releasing Xperia T support

Hi Devs,

We have just added support for the Xperia T. The release is called "Xperia T ICS 4.0.4 (build 7.0.A.3.195)" and is available to phones with unlocked boot loader.

Best regards
    Carl Johansson, Sony Mobile
    Thank you Sony for officially providing support for unlocked devices to get back to stock. I too would like to see Sony provide an official way to root devices. Please please please.
    Good news for our that have unlock sony device with official method...sony learn to understand what their customers want, and it's good.

But a stupid question: Why sony does not make available the opportunity to re-lock the bootloader and get back the DRM rights? I mean, if an user decides to return to the stock rom, maybe would also like his DRM rights back, to use fully (for example) walkman with download album art or Movie apps download info...etc...

This thing is not possible? Might be an idea for those who restores the original ROM and rights...
    A big and great step. hope other manufacturers learn something from this.
    these are the reasons why I never bought a single phone other than Sony Ericsson, There was always a lot to mod/customize even in feature phones :good: