gAppsInstaller - Froyo

Search This thread

kenyu73

Mar 4, 2010
Upstate NY
*** Archos Devices Only ***

This includes only the Market, Calendar, Talk, GenieWidget and "required gSync" files. Any apps that are in the Froyo Market are NOT included. Honestly, this is better as it makes a smaller appInstaller package and its more compatible.

You can download the following from the Market -- Gmail, VoiceSearch, YouTube and Maps(Navigation)

SUMMARY
  1. v5-Stable -- (recommended!)

INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS:
WARNING: If you've installed this or other gApps installers, you may have to RESET to successfully install gAppInstaller.

Note: You may get an error when you first open the Market, ignore the error. It may also take a few minutes before the Market updates from 2.09 to the current version.

1. Download - http://code.google.com/p/archos-apps-installer/downloads/list
  2. Copy download to your device via USB (if you didnt download directly using your Archos)
  3. Use 'Files' app to locate gAppsInstaller, then execute/install it
  4. Choose install core apps or choose to install your own packaged 'apps.zip' file located on the internal drive (not sdcard). There maybe a short delay after you tap an install button (its installing and you'll be notified when its done, about 5-10 seconds)
  5. REBOOT!!
  6. Sign into Market (Google Account Login)
  7. Follow the Market FIX instructions below

MARKET FIX:
This will get you most missing apps from the market, except some "protect market apps" like NYTimes.

1. Setting-->Manage Applications-->All-->Market (Clear Cache then 'Force Stop' -- DO NOT clear data)
  2. Setting-->Manage Applications-->All-->Google Services Framework (Clear data then 'Force Stop')
  3. REBOOT again

Market Fix video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l-nySibzeA&feature=player_embedded#!

If you do this correctly you will find most missing apps like 'Copilot Live USA' in the Market. However, some apps require certain features (like a GPS or Cell chip) and will not show up in the Market. Basically, if you search for application "MyGPS" and "MyGPS" is coded to REQUIRE a GPS chip, then the Android market will NOT show this app in the Market for our Archos Device because is lacks a GPS chip.

MARKET LANGUAGE FIX (unverified):
Once you install the Market, it will probably be in English only. You may be able to fix this by putting your device into English via Settings menu, then put the device back into whatever other language you require.

RESET DEVICE:
Follow these instructions to reset your Archos Gen8: http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=42437&start=0

Last edited:

Hexidecimal

Sep 18, 2010
Pittsburgh
kenyu73 - Thanks for the update, could you possibly test a couple of apps for me before I wipe and load this up?

TweetDeck
Slingplayer
Moblox

Those have never worked correctly on your build and I use them pretty regularly. Thanks! Looking forward to results.

kenyu73

Mar 4, 2010
Upstate NY
kenyu73 - Thanks for the update, could you possibly test a couple of apps for me before I wipe and load this up?

TweetDeck
Slingplayer
Moblox

Those have never worked correctly on your build and I use them pretty regularly. Thanks! Looking forward to results.

Both Tweetdeck and Moblox-Lite open without any FC's. I couldn't find Slingplayer in the market.

Reactions: gerke

orenf

Nov 13, 2010
any reason to re-install from v3?

I used your v3 (thank you very much!) - it worked well. I have Market + select Google apps on my A70.
I'm still missing some apps on Market that I'm unable to find no matter what, even after following "the procedure" - LauncherPro, AWDLauncher, etc. Frankly I can sideload most apps anyhow.

Is there any point/reason in installing v4? (I'm hoping for a "no")?

kenyu73

Mar 4, 2010
Upstate NY
I used your v3 (thank you very much!) - it worked well. I have Market + select Google apps on my A70.
I'm still missing some apps on Market that I'm unable to find no matter what, even after following "the procedure" - LauncherPro, AWDLauncher, etc. Frankly I can sideload most apps anyhow.

Is there any point/reason in installing v4? (I'm hoping for a "no")?

There are some "protected" apps that we'll never see. However, I can find LauncherPro(free) as well as ADW.Launcher(by AnderWeb) just fine.

Reactions: gerke

x64newcomer

Dec 9, 2010
kenyu73, Thanks for your updates.

My A70 will arrive in tomorrow and look forward to implement your guide soon.

Please keep on fine-tuning it and share with us. :)

Hexidecimal

Sep 18, 2010
Pittsburgh
Bit the bullet and loaded up the new app installer. It works perfectly. No more force closes on tweetdeck or when logging into the xda app. Thanks for this.

-------------------------------------
Sent via the XDA Tapatalk App

kenyu73

Mar 4, 2010
Upstate NY
Thanks for the feedback. I think the v4 is really the final stable version. I've been using it all day today and not one single Market FC and I can find all apps in the Market (except protected apps). I did have to do the Market fix though.

The next issue I'd like to fix is the Voice Search GUI issue. The GUI interface isn't as clean as my cell phone, but I'm not sure if that's even fixable. Even though we install Voice Search directly from the Market, it still just sucks!! :eek:

Powershot

Jan 10, 2006
Just a short note:

If you have already rooted your device with z4root a reboot is never reasonable.
To avoid lossing the root (which can of cource be reinstalled using z4root again) you can use the App HotReboot. This app reboots the device but the "root" still exists!

BTW: Thanks for your work!!!!

BR

alucards23

Dec 10, 2010
Downloads Stuck

I followed all instructions. My downloads on the market get stuck at starting download. ANy ideas?

Archos 101

stephen44

Dec 4, 2010
excellent - thankyou kenyu

one question from a newbi

when i follow the link - I see an apk and two zip files

how do i use the two zip files ? appsinstaller and apps

thanks Stephen

MoonPhantasm

Dec 1, 2010
Just use the apk file.

The apps.zip is just the apks that you should download from market, and the zipped installer is the source codes. If you just want to install the installer, then only the apk should matter to you.

stephen44

Dec 4, 2010
Just use the apk file.

The apps.zip is just the apks that you should download from market, and the zipped installer is the source codes. If you just want to install the installer, then only the apk should matter to you.

got it - so i could load the apps from the zip file instead of the market ?

- Stephen

kenyu73

Mar 4, 2010
Upstate NY
got it - so i could load the apps from the zip file instead of the market ?

- Stephen

All the apps in the zip files should be down-loadable from the Market directly. That zip is only there for people who cant download some apps because of their country of origin (like Maps). Some may use it so they don't have to download those apps.

Best bet is to install the core apps via the installer, reboot then d/l that apps you want from the Market.

kenyu73

Mar 4, 2010
Upstate NY
I followed all instructions. My downloads on the market get stuck at starting download. ANy ideas?

Archos 101

I'd reboot again. However, it could be your internet connection. My Samsung Fascinate (Galaxy S) doesn't that sometimes.

Did you install over an existing Market install or was this a fresh install? If it was a re-install, as my instructions said, best bet is to do a reset and start over.

lasphyxial

Jun 8, 2008
AZ
asphyxiatedgod.net
i decided to load some apks in the .system folder to see if i could get it to load my own apks to save me less time.. and in the process using this gapps apk vs the one with the GUI glitch worked very well.. :) like how i can download my own youtube etc so i have the choice of which google apps i want :)

kenyu73

Mar 4, 2010
Upstate NY
These are the only apks that can be pushed to the froyo/system/app folder. Archos put the apk reference aliases (prefixed with a 0) into the read-only '/system/app' knowing we'd manually add them to the read/write test folder. Anything else in the app folder is ignored.

If Archos didn't do this, I doubt we'd even have Market access until the devce was fully rooted.

Code:
0GenieWidget.apk -> /data/test/froyo/system/app/GenieWidget.apk
0Gmail.apk -> /data/test/froyo/system/app/Gmail.apk
0GoogleBackupTransport.apk -> /data/test/froyo/system/app/GoogleBackupTransport.apk
0GoogleCalendarSyncAdapter.apk -> /data/test/froyo/system/app/GoogleCalendarSyncAdapter.apk
0GoogleContactsSyncAdapter.apk -> /data/test/froyo/system/app/GoogleContactsSyncAdapter.apk
0GoogleFeedback.apk -> /data/test/froyo/system/app/GoogleFeedback.apk
0GoogleServicesFramework.apk -> /data/test/froyo/system/app/GoogleServicesFramework.apk
0Maps.apk -> /data/test/froyo/system/app/Maps.apk
0MarketUpdater.apk -> /data/test/froyo/system/app/MarketUpdater.apk
0MediaUploader.apk -> /data/test/froyo/system/app/MediaUploader.apkla
0NetworkLocation.apk -> /data/test/froyo/system/app/NetworkLocation.apk
0SetupWizard.apk -> /data/test/froyo/system/app/SetupWizard.apk
0Talk.apk -> /data/test/froyo/system/app/Talk.apk
0Vending.apk -> /data/test/froyo/system/app/Vending.apk
0VoiceSearch.apk -> /data/test/froyo/system/app/VoiceSearch.apk
0YouTube.apk -> /data/test/froyo/system/app/YouTube.apk
0googlevoice.apk -> /data/test/froyo/system/app/googlevoice.apk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    *** Archos Devices Only ***

This includes only the Market, Calendar, Talk, GenieWidget and "required gSync" files. Any apps that are in the Froyo Market are NOT included. Honestly, this is better as it makes a smaller appInstaller package and its more compatible.

You can download the following from the Market -- Gmail, VoiceSearch, YouTube and Maps(Navigation)

SUMMARY
    1. v5-Stable -- (recommended!)

INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS:
    WARNING: If you've installed this or other gApps installers, you may have to RESET to successfully install gAppInstaller.

Note: You may get an error when you first open the Market, ignore the error. It may also take a few minutes before the Market updates from 2.09 to the current version.

1. Download - http://code.google.com/p/archos-apps-installer/downloads/list
    2. Copy download to your device via USB (if you didnt download directly using your Archos)
    3. Use 'Files' app to locate gAppsInstaller, then execute/install it
    4. Choose install core apps or choose to install your own packaged 'apps.zip' file located on the internal drive (not sdcard). There maybe a short delay after you tap an install button (its installing and you'll be notified when its done, about 5-10 seconds)
    5. REBOOT!!
    6. Sign into Market (Google Account Login)
    7. Follow the Market FIX instructions below

MARKET FIX:
    This will get you most missing apps from the market, except some "protect market apps" like NYTimes.

1. Setting-->Manage Applications-->All-->Market (Clear Cache then 'Force Stop' -- DO NOT clear data)
    2. Setting-->Manage Applications-->All-->Google Services Framework (Clear data then 'Force Stop')
    3. REBOOT again

Market Fix video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l-nySibzeA&feature=player_embedded#!

If you do this correctly you will find most missing apps like 'Copilot Live USA' in the Market. However, some apps require certain features (like a GPS or Cell chip) and will not show up in the Market. Basically, if you search for application "MyGPS" and "MyGPS" is coded to REQUIRE a GPS chip, then the Android market will NOT show this app in the Market for our Archos Device because is lacks a GPS chip.

MARKET LANGUAGE FIX (unverified):
    Once you install the Market, it will probably be in English only. You may be able to fix this by putting your device into English via Settings menu, then put the device back into whatever other language you require.

RESET DEVICE:
    Follow these instructions to reset your Archos Gen8: http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=42437&start=0
    For whatever reasons, I cannot put together a working Wifi NetworkLocation and 2.2.7 Market. I've tried dozens of combinations and nothing works :mad:

Hi kenyu,

i have 2.2.7 market and a working wifi location.
    I've used your old V3 installer but with the attached NetworkLocation.apk
    Once installed, has automatically updated my market to 2.2.7 and the wifi location continue working.

Bye

Sergio
    12/23/2010:
    v5 released and appears stable. This is the last froyo version since the Market auto-updates and NetworkLocation works.
    have you see the new version of the market 2.2.6

impossible to install this apk alone

Yes, I have the newer Vender.apk and I played around with it but it just FCs. There are a few different flavors of Vendor.apk and it has to be compatible with the other apk framework/gSync files.
    so why can't we do this if we've done the other installer?

I posted this in another thread...
    kenyu73 said:
    You can try a re-install over gApps4Archos, but typically it causes the Market to crash alot or not even start (it pops open then dies).

I've come to think that different Market apks(Vendor.apk) have different internal keys of some sort that get initialized in the android core database. If you try to install a different flavor of Vendor.apk, you get crazy results.

My v4 version of the core apps is a Cyanogen bundle and is prob different then gApps4Archos2 or even my v3 version.

Like I said try to update.. if it fails then reset and start over.