Nexus 5 on Cricket Wireless

Search This thread

MrObvious

Mar 1, 2008
Wichita KS
You don't get roaming I believe but AT&T native coverage is good enough honestly. And I've done occasional tethering and it works but I don't push it as it is against TOS.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

mbellot

Jul 22, 2010
Will cricket give ah blakclisted T-Mobile n5 service

Can't say for certain that it will work, but I know you can enter all 9's for the MEID of the phone and it will accept it when registering for service. Cricket service is really tied to the SIM ID, I think they use the MEID to tell you what type of data service you can expect. They told me the N5 would only get 3G, but I get LTE with no problems.

I've never tried it myself (using a BL phone with an active SIM), but if the phone is unlocked (and a N5 should be) I can't see why it wouldn't work.

Reactions: DanCapoDaDon

Incredible_Culp

May 13, 2010
I don't believe so as the 20GB plan might be limited to people purchasing devices through Cricket. Talk to an online support person. If you can have the 20GB they can change it asap I have been told.

nope.. available to anyone.

as soon as i saw your post, i logged in and upgraded my plan in less than a minute :cool:

aint no one got time to talk to support people :silly:

---------- Post added at 08:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 PM ----------

So will the 20gb be allowed with bring your own device? I may switch from stt

yes.. as long as you have an att supported phone.. given youre in the nexus section, youre good to go :good:

there is not a better mvno out there that beats cricket right now.. nothing comes remotely close.

im never going to use all 20.. but its definitely nice to have.. i might need to tether my laptop hard core someday if there isnt wifi around - so this 20gb gives me piece of mind :eek:

Reactions: jmtjr278

GadgetLady

Mar 10, 2012
I have the Smart plan (5gb), but the mobile app states I have 3gb. Have they just not updated the app?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

mike102871

Feb 20, 2011
Motorola Edge 20
Was on t mobile. But we live in an edge area. Wife stayed with t mobile cause she works in a LTE area and can stream music all day. Daughter and I switched to att stt. Live the LTE in my home town. I've not had any problem. But I do hate having to be so careful with just3gb of LTE. Seems like LTE on cricket is just H+. Any complaints?

frigidazzi

Apr 21, 2011
Nexus Player
OnePlus 5
Was on t mobile. But we live in an edge area. Wife stayed with t mobile cause she works in a LTE area and can stream music all day. Daughter and I switched to att stt. Live the LTE in my home town. I've not had any problem. But I do hate having to be so careful with just3gb of LTE. Seems like LTE on cricket is just H+. Any complaints?
Lte is limited to 8mb and h+ is 4mb per sec. For me these are both plenty fast for most anything I do on my phone. Did you do a speed test? Maybe lte in your area is really poor? I hit max speed most of the time.

mike102871

Feb 20, 2011
Motorola Edge 20
Lte is limited to 8mb and h+ is 4mb per sec. For me these are both plenty fast for most anything I do on my phone. Did you do a speed test? Maybe lte in your area is really poor? I hit max speed most of the time.

I've not switched to cricket yet from stt. With stt I have between 30-50mbps speed. Bit with 3 GB don't do much more that browse. I'd like the 20gb so I can go back to video stream when I want or need to. But will 8mbps be sufficient. Don't want to end up with useless data like I did with t mobile

frigidazzi

Apr 21, 2011
Nexus Player
OnePlus 5
I've not switched to cricket yet from stt. With stt I have between 30-50mbps speed. Bit with 3 GB don't do much more that browse. I'd like the 20gb so I can go back to video stream when I want or need to. But will 8mbps be sufficient. Don't want to end up with useless data like I did with t mobile
I was concerNed with the speed back before I joined when it was aio. I've never had a problem streaming 1080p video. 20gb is definitely a sweet deal.

mike102871

Feb 20, 2011
Motorola Edge 20
Think ill switch from stt. Hope porting my number isn't a problem. I've had this number for over 6 yrs. Plus we have 3 numbers in family that are all in numeric order. I've heard porting from stt can be a challenge.

frigidazzi

Apr 21, 2011
Nexus Player
OnePlus 5
Think ill switch from stt. Hope porting my number isn't a problem. I've had this number for over 6 yrs. Plus we have 3 numbers in family that are all in numeric order. I've heard porting from stt can be a challenge.
That I can't comment on. I've used my Google voice number exclusively for several years now so I never have to deal with this. I couldn't even tell you my cricket number off hand.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Can someone please clarify the 20gb Advanced plan for me? If I switch from my Smart plan to the promotional one, what happens when the promotion ends? Do I still get 20gb a month or does it go back down to 10?

EDIT:
    Also: what's with the LTE restriction? I have a Nexus 5 (as you probably guessed) and pull down LTE at work, but not at home or around town. My device can do LTE, but not all the time. This promotion isn't some weird cap where the 20gb is ONLY LTE, and H+ has some weird restriction like already being throttled? Cricket has been great the couple of months I've had them so they don't seem like they'd pull a stunt like that, but this LTE promotion is throwing me off. Will all my data have the 20gb cap, like all their other plans?

If you switch from your current plan (Smart Plan) to the Promotional Plan, which is the 20GB Advanced plan, nothing happens when the promotion ends.. Well, something does happen; the promotion ends lol.. But to answer your question, no. Your plan will not go down to 10GB. You will continue getting the 20GB. Much like a "grandfathered" plan. In a way.

I'm assuming when the promotion ends, only two things will happen: 1. The promotional plan will just disappear or 2. The advanced plan will be a plan by itself, like the others, but at a $10 (or more) difference instead of the same price as the pro plan.

I'm not too sure what youre asking on the second part of your question. LTE restriction? The only "restriction" is the 8mbs.. Nothing more. Your speeds will max out at 8mbs on LTE and 4mbs on 3G (H/H+).. Youre on Cricket currently, so I'm assuming you already know this.

OH! I see what youre saying (i think).. The promotion says, "... for 4GLTE devices only" and thats confusing you, correct?

If it is, this only means that this promotion is only for 4GLTE "compatible" devices. (Cricket should have reworded this better) Since you have an N5, you have nothing to worry about.. If your device could NOT connect to LTE, in other words -- didnt have the LTE bands -- then the plan wouldnt work for that device.. But since your device can, youre golden :)

To answer your last question, yes -- the 20GB plan have the 8mbs capped.. Just like the others.

Hope I cleared things up for you! -- take care :highfive:
    Can anyone PM me for a referral?

Sent.

EDIT:
    Oh yeah, I was going to include the APN in this post. I'll just edit it in.

Name: Internet
    APN: ndo
    Proxy: Not Set
    Port: Not Set
    Username: Not Set
    Password: Not Set
    Server: Not Set
    MMSC: http://mmsc.aiowireless.net
    MMS Proxy: proxy.aiowireless.net
    MMS Port: 80
    MCC: 310
    MNC: 150
    Authentication type: Not Set
    APN type: default,mms,fota,hipri,supl
    The correct APN settings are on their website. Can't post the link because low post count. Just search their site for "apn" and it will show up.

I switched to Cricket from Straight Talk (AT&T) last summer and don't regret it one bit. My bill is a flat $35/mo, coverage is great, no issues with SMS/MMS (my main reason for ditching ST). They just upped the low tier limit to 1GB from 500MB, but I'm on WiFi 99% of the time so it didn't matter much to me anyway.

Aio's capped speeds still apply, 8Mbps for LTE, 4Mbps for HSPA+. After you hit the data cap those speeds are 128Kbps and 64Kbps. I've only hit my cap twice, and my phone was still usable on LTE. You can purchase an extra GB for $10 as many times as you want.

Their account app actually works, customer service is top notch (the other reason I ditched ST).

If you're not a speed queen, and are in an area with good AT&T coverage I would absolutely take Cricket over ST.
    Thanks for the info above.

Follow-up questions. Any observations regards to how well Cricket works with Hangouts and/or Google Voice?

And any issues with tethering on Cricket?

I could sign up for a month to test myself, but I want to port my number at the same time I sign up for Cricket. I've heard there are problems porting phone numbers from ST to Cricket if you try to do it later (I'm employing extra caution as I've never previously ported a number).

Hangouts and Google Voice work fine for me. As well as any other carrier. Cricket doesn't officially support tethering, but I have had no issues doing it with a small change in the settings DB.
    I used hotspot on my nexus 5 now on my nexus 6. Only few times I've had problem with cricket LTE service in busy areas. Like at cedar point. Speed was like edge. I force phone to H in those situations and still have a usable 4 Mbps speed.