[APP][MOD] [UPDATED: 10-25-2013] Facebook v3.7 without location privelages

Search This thread

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
Here is the latest facebook official app with location 'feature' removed.

I am not sure if you guys who use the app know this, but facebook constantly tracks your location. There is a receiver built into the app that every time you "refresh" the app (Interval settings are found in the settings menu of Facebook) it gets your location and everything you do on Facebook, post a status, send a message, upload a photo etc, your location is added and you cannot turn it off..

So i decompiled the apk and removed all locations ability. That means, no checking in, no nearby, nothing that needs to get your location. You WILL get a forced close. I am working on trying to keep that enabled while dissabling the 'tracking' featrue. Just download, copy apk to your phones storage and use a file browser to install the APK.

Hope you guys enjoy the privacy while also enjoying the Facebook app.

DOWNLOAD: Facebook v3.7 - No Locations

Last edited:

danlivesey

Dec 5, 2010
blackburn
Good idea, but I've turned my location of and it never shows my location when posting any thing.. when I send a private message it gives me the option to turn location of.. is this the same location receiver you are disabling from the app?

Sent from my Xperia S using xda premium

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
Ahhhh this the reason why FB consume a more MB on my 3G ?

Michel

This mod will possibly use a tiny bit less. But it uses so much for its Cache. So things are loaded a lot faster and what not.

Good idea, but I've turned my location of and it never shows my location when posting any thing.. when I send a private message it gives me the option to turn location of.. is this the same location receiver you are disabling from the app?

Sent from my Xperia S using xda premium

Are you talking about turning your location off under settings of your phone? Well thats different. There is no way to turn it off in the FB app itself. You can turn off the location thing for your messages but its still secretly getting your location.

OP UPDATED WITH DL LINK TO MY DROPBOX

Sorry it took so long. XDA is giving me some security error when i try to attach anything :/

Reactions: dwang

codyrt

Feb 23, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but a good app that stops location requests for any application is LBE Security Master. It will prompt you each time an application requests to use certain permissions. You can also check a box to never allow the application to access that setting, in this case it would be location.

Just search on XDA to find it, I'm on my phone and I don't think the app is on the market.

Sent from my One X using xda app-developers app

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but a good app that stops location requests for any application is LBE Security Master. It will prompt you each time an application requests to use certain permissions. You can also check a box to never allow the application to access that setting, in this case it would be location.

Just search on XDA to find it, I'm on my phone and I don't think the app is on the market.

Whenever i tried using a third party app to block GPS to the Facebook app, it would cause the FB app to force close irregardless what you did.

I'll try the app and see what happens. Not sure how it goes about granting and denying access. In all honesty i was looking for something like this.

codyrt

Feb 23, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Just don't use LBE Privacy Guard on jelly bean, it caused my phone to freeze a few minutes after turning on and then rebooted and got stuck in that loop. The only way to resolve it was to use adb and remove the apps file.

The app I mentioned in my post above doesn't seem to have any issues besides that parts of it are in Chinese.

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
Just don't use LBE Privacy Guard on jelly bean, it caused my phone to freeze a few minutes after turning on and then rebooted and got stuck in that loop. The only way to resolve it was to use adb and remove the apps file.

The app I mentioned in my post above doesn't seem to have any issues besides that parts of it are in Chinese.

So you confirm it works with Facebook?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

codyrt

Feb 23, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
As far as I can tell it does. When I open Facebook, LBE pops up and asks me if I want to allow Facebook to track my location. It detects whether Facebook is using location tracking through WiFi or through GPS. I have not checked to see my posts to see if location is attached to them.

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
As far as I can tell it does. When I open Facebook, LBE pops up and asks me if I want to allow Facebook to track my location. It detects whether Facebook is using location tracking through WiFi or through GPS. I have not checked to see my posts to see if location is attached to them.

Interesting.. I wonder if it's blocking "locationmanager.getlastknownlocation" as well. This method doesn't access any hardware. It just reads what the last location known was. Meaning if any other app has access to your GPS and gets a lock, that location is remembered and then used by above method.

I feel much more comfortable completely removing the actual physical code :p no offence to your option though.

And for a thread update, I learned a new tool to help figure out what gets called where. :) so I might be able to add the ability to check in as well as use "nearby" in the app. And just disable the tracking!

Reactions: Mac of York

codyrt

Feb 23, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Interesting.. I wonder if it's blocking "locationmanager.getlastknownlocation" as well. This method doesn't access any hardware. It just reads what the last location known was. Meaning if any other app has access to your GPS and gets a lock, that location is remembered and then used by above method.

I feel much more comfortable completely removing the actual physical code :p no offence to your option though.

And for a thread update, I learned a new tool to help figure out what gets called where. :) so I might be able to add the ability to check in as well as use "nearby" in the app. And just disable the tracking!

Yeah, I'm still using your MOD too, I really don't need Facebook accessing my location so you can never be too safe about that.

topcaser

Dec 17, 2005
Hi, there are still some Facebook services running all the time in the background although I have deactivated all notifications. Do you know which services these are?

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
Hi, there are still some Facebook services running all the time in the background although I have deactivated all notifications. Do you know which services these are?

Sort of. I know when notifications are enabled there is a service running. Also what's your refresh interval set at? If that's not disabled then that's what the service is.

If not it may just be in "empty applications" part of androids memory manager. Meaning it's dead but still there to increase launch time. I'm running cm10 and I use the "hold back to kill" option on Facebook so mine is 100 percent gone.

GerManiac

Jun 3, 2006
Loving this app. Great job. Finally facebook can't track me anymore. One big brother, google, is enough.

:D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here is the latest facebook official app with location 'feature' removed.

I am not sure if you guys who use the app know this, but facebook constantly tracks your location. There is a receiver built into the app that every time you "refresh" the app (Interval settings are found in the settings menu of Facebook) it gets your location and everything you do on Facebook, post a status, send a message, upload a photo etc, your location is added and you cannot turn it off..

So i decompiled the apk and removed all locations ability. That means, no checking in, no nearby, nothing that needs to get your location. You WILL get a forced close. I am working on trying to keep that enabled while dissabling the 'tracking' featrue. Just download, copy apk to your phones storage and use a file browser to install the APK.

Hope you guys enjoy the privacy while also enjoying the Facebook app.

DOWNLOAD: Facebook v3.7 - No Locations
    Op has been updated to version 3.3 (latest)
    UPDATED TO 3.7!!!

Only one issue, when you click the messages button on the main screen when looking at the news feed, the images for "read" status, the little check mark or arrow, do not show up in that view, however, if you click the message feed of that person, then they will show up. Its the only issue and its not fixable. Its just a simple compiler bug.

Also, i noticed there were 3155 downloads for version 3.3 :) However, only 78 thanks.. Lets make them match please ;) This stuff takes a lot of time to do!
    OP UPDATED to version 3.2.1 (Latest)

Btw, during my modding, i found it funny how this was in the logcat for the errors.

"CatchMeIfYouCan" xD i wonder if they know about my thread, it wasn't there before.
    I like this. Are you going to keep up with the app updates?

Well of course! Lol