Lenovo IdeaPhone S920

Search This thread

saturn_frak

Dec 7, 2010
Hello,
I own a Lenovo S920.
I bought it in China and re flashed the firmware of it to a Russian modified.

I'd like to share with you the process that located in the Russian forum:
http://lenovo-forums.ru/topic/1346-кастомная-русская-прошивка-для-lenovo-s920-lenovo-forums/

Requirements:
1. USB VCOM Driver http://lenovo-forums.ru/Files/OS/P770/usb_driver_SW_Rom_P770.zip
2. Lenovo USB Driver http://lenovo-forums.ru/Files/OS/P770/LenovoUsbDriver_1.0.1.exe
3. SP_Flash_Tool_v3.1304.0.119_EDR http://lenovo-forums.ru/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=1682

Maybe I'll translate the process later.

Also I found on the Chinese forum a OVERSEAS firmware (S920_ROW_S110_20130515) - updated to "S920_ROW_S114_130626" after installation.
Can be downloaded here: http://pan.baidu.com/share/link?shareid=541466&uk=2335146322
The archive password is "bbs.lenovomobile.com"
Installed it. (changed the EBR2 file and flashed again - now using it for everyday use)

Re-partition of the internal storage

I found that the internal memory is parted into Internal Storage and USB Storage - seems useless when inserting an uSD card (the USB storage is sdcard0) and also confusing.
I found a way to re-part the memory so that the Internal Storage became 3.6GB (left 18MB for thr USB Storage because if it's 0MB the phone stop seeing the uSD card). After 1st boot I selected the "SD storage" as "default write disk".(and changed it in all applications ex. Camera)

This is done by editing the HEX of the EBR2 file (I used the OVERSEAS firmware).
Reference (on Russian): http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=383013&st=0#entry16443051
Using this method it's also possible to change all the partitions (system,cache etc.) sizes.
I don't see any added value in it so I only edited the Data partition.

this is my EBR2 and Checksum.ini, before trying anything have a copy of the original EBR2 (as an option to flash back the original partitions)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ypvo312b0ecy1j1/Checksum.ini
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ofel9f57oir56k/EBR2

Rooting
(translation from the link: http://lenovo-forums.ru/topic/1700-root-права-lenovo-s920/ )
1. Download the file: http://lenovo-forums.ru/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=3257
2. Copy the apk file to the SDCARD
3. Install the apk file (on the internal memory)
4. Start the app after the installation
5. Choose SuperUser or SuperSU (the writer advise to choose SuperSU)
6. Press "Boromir"
7. (from me) start the SuperSU app and make binaries update.
Done.

Next thing I'd like to do is change the functionality of long press on home button (switch it with the left button)

I'm new in the field of helping others (although I've experience with several smartphones) - so please be patient.

NOTE: Everything that you do with your device using my directions may harm your device and I'm not responsible for that.

Last edited:

ghoul3003

Jun 15, 2013
Lenovo s920

Thanx a lot mate. :) :cowboy:
I buy my phone s920 from taiwan and now instal the rom no more taiwan china and more faster. :laugh: :victory:
Thanx a lot again mate. :good:

racesurg

Jan 25, 2008
Pagadian City
Hello,
I own a Lenovo S920.

http://lenovo-forums.ru/topic/1346-кастомная-русская-прошивка-для-lenovo-s920-lenovo-forums/

Requirements:
1. USB VCOM Driver http://lenovo-forums.ru/Files/OS/P770/usb_driver_SW_Rom_P770.zip
2. Lenovo USB Driver http://lenovo-forums.ru/Files/OS/P770/LenovoUsbDriver_1.0.1.exe
3. SP_Flash_Tool_v3.1304.0.119_EDR http://lenovo-forums.ru/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=1682

Also I found on the Chinese forum a OVERSEAS firmware (S920_ROW_S110_20130515).
Can be downloaded here: http://pan.baidu.com/share/link?shareid=541466&uk=2335146322
I didn't flash it yet.

I found that the internal memory is parted into Internal Storage and USB Storage - seems useless when inserting an uSD card (the USB storage is sdcard0) and also confusing.
I found a way to re-part the memory so that the Internal Storage became 3.6GB (left 18MB for thr USB Storage because if it's 0MB the phone stop seeing the uSD card). After 1st boot I selected the "SD storage" as "default write disk".(and changed it in all applications ex. Camera)

This is done by (I used the OVERSEAS firmware).
Reference (on Russian): http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=383013&st=0#entry16443051
Using this method it's also possible to change all the partitions (system,cache etc.) sizes.
(I'll add my EBR2 files later)

I'm new in the field of helping others - so please be patient.

NOTE: Everything that you do with your device using my directions may harm your device and I'm not responsible for that.

Thank you very much, saturn_frak, for this post. I flashed the OVERSEAS firmware. The IMEIs of my S920 changed, but everything is functioning excellently. So much better than the ROM my phone came with. Can you please expound on "editing the HEX of the EBR2 file" to increase Internal Storage? Should this be done before flashing the ROM? I've been using SD storage since after flashing, so there's been no new installation on the USB Storage. Does that mean that I can flash the OVERSEAS firmware with modified EBR2 file, then restore all my non-system apps with date using Titanium Backup? Can you upload your EBR2 files? Thanks again.

saturn_frak

Dec 7, 2010
Thank you very much, saturn_frak, for this post. I flashed the OVERSEAS firmware. The IMEIs of my S920 changed, but everything is functioning excellently. So much better than the ROM my phone came with. Can you please expound on "editing the HEX of the EBR2 file" to increase Internal Storage? Should this be done before flashing the ROM? I've been using SD storage since after flashing, so there's been no new installation on the USB Storage. Does that mean that I can flash the OVERSEAS firmware with modified EBR2 file, then restore all my non-system apps with date using Titanium Backup? Can you upload your EBR2 files? Thanks again.

First of all - you should edit the EBR2 before flashing the rom.
What I did is:
1. Backup all the apps with Titanium backup to SDCARD (recheck few times that the selected storage of Titanium backup is the External SDCARD) - if you select in settings->storage->SD storage as a default write disk then your External SDCARD will probably be sdcard0 (otherwise it will be sdcard1...and you should change the location of backups in settings of Titanium backup).
2. Made a copy of the Overseas ROM
3. Changed the parameter CHECKSUM_SWITCH from 1 to 0 (in the file Checksum.ini)
4. Edited the EBR2 (I'll upload later today my EBR2 that making the Internal Storage to be 3.6GB and the USB storage to be 18.59MB)
5. Flashed the changed ROM
6. Changed the Default Write Disk (settings->storage) to SD storage
7. Recovered apps (using Titanium Backup)
*** pay attention that there're applications (like camera) that it's default storage is still the 18MB (changed it in settings)

credits to booroondook from 4pda (http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=383013&st=0#entry16443051) - MBR,EBR1,EBR2 topic coverage

Reactions: amolsurvey

racesurg

Jan 25, 2008
Pagadian City
What I did is:
1. Backup all the apps with Titanium backup to SDCARD (recheck few times that the selected storage of Titanium backup is the External SDCARD) - if you select in settings->storage->SD storage as a default write disk then your External SDCARD will probably be sdcard0 (otherwise it will be sdcard1...and you should change the location of backups in settings of Titanium backup).
4. Edited the EBR2 (I'll upload later today my EBR2 that making the Internal Storage to be 3.6GB and the USB storage to be 18.59MB)
*** pay attention that there're applications (like camera) that it's default storage is still the 18MB (changed it in settings)

credits to booroondook from 4pda (http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=383013&st=0#entry16443051) - MBR,EBR1,EBR2 topic coverage

Thanks. Looking forward to your upload. :good:

racesurg

Jan 25, 2008
Pagadian City
What I did is:

Hi saturn_frak. If your customized EBR2 was used to flash, will the phone still be able to update via OTA to S920_ROW_S114_130626?

saturn_frak

Dec 7, 2010
Hi saturn_frak. If your customized EBR2 was used to flash, will the phone still be able to update via OTA to S920_ROW_S114_130626?

Yes, I did the update and the partitions remain the same - one small thing - the root access gone after the new OTA...need to re-root it afterwards (still didn't made it but I don't think that there'll be a problem)

racesurg

Jan 25, 2008
Pagadian City
Yes, I did the update and the partitions remain the same - one small thing - the root access gone after the new OTA...need to re-root it afterwards (still didn't made it but I don't think that there'll be a problem)

Problem with my wife's S920 right now. I was hoping to flash using the modified EBR2, but when my wife arrived home, her phone was dead. Battery won't charge anymore. She said there was initially a "battery won't charge warning because of low temperature". After the battery discharged totally, it can't be charged anymore. I hope the problem is just the battery, not the phone. I can actually still flash since it's done with the battery removed, but just can't power up the phone afterwards. I ordered a new battery, but might take 3-4 weeks to arrive. :crying:

Reactions: amolsurvey

saturn_frak

Dec 7, 2010
with which firmware the problem occur?

the battery not charging even when the phone is turned off?

did you try to flash the original Chinese firmware?

(maybe s/w bug)

racesurg

Jan 25, 2008
Pagadian City

(maybe s/w bug)

I had flashed the unmodified Overseas firmware. It was working great for about a week before the problem occurred. So, I think the problem is either hardware or battery. I do hope it's just the battery.:(

racesurg

Jan 25, 2008
Pagadian City

(maybe s/w bug)

Hi saturn. I was able to flash the Overseas ROM using you modified EBR2. Great partitioning! However the problem with my phone still persisted even with the new battery The charging port may be the culprit. The phone is still able to flash with the battery pulled out. But, once the phone is plugged to recharge, it spontaneously reboots. So, right now I just use an external charger for the batteries. I hope the phone can still be fixed. Thanks.

Reactions: myothantmaung1974

witchshady

Sep 7, 2004
Palookaville
Help Please...

Hey guys, I own the same phone that you guys have (Lenovo S920), rooted, and bloatware removed.

I removed Chrome, LeCalendar, Norton, and Tutorial. Unfortunately, now I cannot update OTA, as the recovery screen is looking for ChromeWithBrowser.apk, which I already removed. I tried installing a signed ChromeWithBrowser apk but it still didn't work. Am now beginning to think that I need to reflash the original ROM just to be able to get the update.

Anybody have any ideas how to solve this OTA issue? Would really appreciate the input...thanks!

eyad_220

Sep 14, 2011
Amman
Hey guys, I own the same phone that you guys have (Lenovo S920), rooted, and bloatware removed.

I removed Chrome, LeCalendar, Norton, and Tutorial. Unfortunately, now I cannot update OTA, as the recovery screen is looking for ChromeWithBrowser.apk, which I already removed. I tried installing a signed ChromeWithBrowser apk but it still didn't work. Am now beginning to think that I need to reflash the original ROM just to be able to get the update.

Anybody have any ideas how to solve this OTA issue? Would really appreciate the input...thanks!

i faced the same problem, i had rooted my phone, and changed my build.prop, when i tried to install the OTA update, it failed
but i managed to get the update by doing the follwing:

1- download the OTA update but don't reboot your phone
2- search in your SD card for the update.zip file (located on a folder but i forget the name)
3- open the update.zip and edit the update script deleting the assert line(s) that make it fail
4- reboot into recovery and flash the update.zip file

i hope it will work for you

---------- Post added at 05:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:35 PM ----------

Today i have found out that if you put a magnet near the upper third of the left side of your Lenovo S920 it will lock/unlock
i know this has been on the iPad and other phones for a while now, but it is not announced in the Lenovo S920 specs!
and it is a cool thing to have a flip cover, attach a magnet just the correct place, and viola! you have a smart flip cover :)

witchshady

Sep 7, 2004
Palookaville
i faced the same problem, i had rooted my phone, and changed my build.prop, when i tried to install the OTA update, it failed
but i managed to get the update by doing the follwing:

1- download the OTA update but don't reboot your phone
2- search in your SD card for the update.zip file (located on a folder but i forget the name)
3- open the update.zip and edit the update script deleting the assert line(s) that make it fail
4- reboot into recovery and flash the update.zip file

---------- Post added at 05:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:35 PM ----------

Today i have found out that if you put a magnet near the upper third of the left side of your Lenovo S920 it will lock/unlock
i know this has been on the iPad and other phones for a while now, but it is not announced in the Lenovo S920 specs!
and it is a cool thing to have a flip cover, attach a magnet just the correct place, and viola! you have a smart flip cover :)

I tried doing that, to no avail :( When I try to manually add those apk's I get the same error message, which is the assert thingy failed. Basically I took out Chrome, the Tutorial, and LeCalendar.

What am I missing here?

eyad_220

Sep 14, 2011
Amman
I tried doing that, to no avail :( When I try to manually add those apk's I get the same error message, which is the assert thingy failed. Basically I took out Chrome, the Tutorial, and LeCalendar.

What am I missing here?

the assert error you are getting is caused by the MD5 check some, since you have changed/deleted those files the MD5 for them is changed, and the update script in the OTA file will check that MD5 and match it to the original.
that what is causing the update to fail.

the solution is to extract the update script form the update.zip (open it using winrar or something) go to "\META-INF\com\google\android" search for the "updater-script" extract it, then open it in any text editor and remove the line(s) that is asserting the files you have deleted.
example:
assert(apply_patch_check("/system/app/LenovoClock.apk", "f7c75be4512cb791baa754f17df896205f27cb53", "1cdf8cd84122d93668d77d14fb5692474ff301a9"));
this line asserts that the "LenovoClock.apk" exists, and it has the correct MD5

remove similar lines for apk(s) you have deleted.

after that, put the "updater-script" again in the "update.zip" file and copy it back to your SD card, reboot into CWM recovery, turn off assertion, and flash "update.zip" by choosing flash zip file form sd card

edo.gv6

Sep 26, 2013
Sorry If Wrong Room

Dear All Master

I Have Lenovo K920 White with the condition of icon Wifi blinks, how to resolve this issue??

Thank You....

witchshady

Sep 7, 2004
Palookaville
the assert error you are getting is caused by the MD5 check some, since you have changed/deleted those files the MD5 for them is changed, and the update script in the OTA file will check that MD5 and match it to the original.
that what is causing the update to fail.

the solution is to extract the update script form the update.zip (open it using winrar or something) go to "\META-INF\com\google\android" search for the "updater-script" extract it, then open it in any text editor and remove the line(s) that is asserting the files you have deleted.
example:
assert(apply_patch_check("/system/app/LenovoClock.apk", "f7c75be4512cb791baa754f17df896205f27cb53", "1cdf8cd84122d93668d77d14fb5692474ff301a9"));
this line asserts that the "LenovoClock.apk" exists, and it has the correct MD5

remove similar lines for apk(s) you have deleted.

after that, put the "updater-script" again in the "update.zip" file and copy it back to your SD card, reboot into CWM recovery, turn off assertion, and flash "update.zip" by choosing flash zip file form sd card

hey sorry for the late reply; been extremely busy and I just found the time to carry out your instructions earlier.

Unfortunately it didn't work... When I tried to update, it tries to, then it closes with just one word "ERROR".

I updated the 2 updater-script files as you instructed (one of them was the updater then the other had a (~) sign after the word updater).

Should I have just updated one?

zedyll

Oct 1, 2013
Lenovo S920

Hi, I'm new here.... does IMEI no. change after flashing ROM affects network sim? Does both sim usable in the new rom? Thanks! :laugh:

vft18355

Jan 2, 2013
Is there anybody can flash custom ROM? I hv tried flashed many custom ROMs from needrom but always got bootloop, can't mount emmc.

Sent from my Lenovo S920_ROW using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello,
    I own a Lenovo S920.

Requirements:

Also I found on the Chinese forum a OVERSEAS firmware (S920_ROW_S110_20130515) - updated to "S920_ROW_S114_130626" after installation.
    Installed it. (changed the EBR2 file and flashed again - now using it for everyday use)

Re-partition of the internal storage

This is done by editing the HEX of the EBR2 file (I used the OVERSEAS firmware).

this is my EBR2 and Checksum.ini, before trying anything have a copy of the original EBR2 (as an option to flash back the original partitions)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ypvo312b0ecy1j1/Checksum.ini
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ofel9f57oir56k/EBR2

Rooting
    (translation from the link: http://lenovo-forums.ru/topic/1700-root-права-lenovo-s920/ )
    1. Download the file: http://lenovo-forums.ru/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=3257
    2. Copy the apk file to the SDCARD
    3. Install the apk file (on the internal memory)
    4. Start the app after the installation
    5. Choose SuperUser or SuperSU (the writer advise to choose SuperSU)
    6. Press "Boromir"
    7. (from me) start the SuperSU app and make binaries update.
    Done.

Next thing I'd like to do is change the functionality of long press on home button (switch it with the left button)

I'm new in the field of helping others (although I've experience with several smartphones) - so please be patient.

for all the FM radio lovers, and as our beloved Lenovo S920 stock radio app is boring and have no RDS
    here is a radio application taken from a rom i found on an Indonesian forum http://www.kaskus.co.id/
    the rom is ported from Xperia C

this app has a visualizer, RDS, and you can choose Radio region!!

you can install it as a normal application, you don't have to be rooted, and you will still have stock FM app.

enjoy :eek:
    Cm11 4.4.2 kitkat final update

CM11 4.4.2 KITKAT FINAL UPDATE
    Link download

What I did is:

i'm looking Recovery s920 which the recovery able to use VibeUI OTA update :confused: ??